Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 02:15   #3616
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Why were you in Neutral
He was probably coasting since its a down hill drive, saving gear changes and fuel.

But isn't driving in Neutral illegal in the states?

yes its illegal Jose
Quote:
V C Section 21710 Coasting Prohibited

Coasting Prohibited

21710. The driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral.
Source: DMV

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 19th March 2014 at 02:17.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 02:44   #3617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Why were you in Neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
He was probably coasting since its a down hill drive, saving gear changes and fuel.
Since the drive is downhill and traffic is literally crawling I didn't want to depress the clutch and engage the gear. That's why I was on neutral. I mentioned earlier that it took me 1 hour to cover 5 miles. So you can image the vehicle speed.

Prem - thanks for the DMV info. This is news to me.
Old 19th March 2014, 02:48   #3618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Since the drive is downhill and traffic is literally crawling I didn't want to depress the clutch and engage the gear. That's why I was on neutral. I mentioned earlier that it took me 1 hour to cover 5 miles. So you can image the vehicle speed.

Yea the traffic on CA 17 is terrible. Are you here everyday? I'm here in Scotts Valley.

I remember talking bout coasting with a friend he mentioned bout it being illegal, never bothered since have not used manual here

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 19th March 2014 at 02:49.
Old 19th March 2014, 03:45   #3619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

Law aside coasting in neutral is a bad practice, its will fry your brake pads besides gives you less control over the car.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 11:15   #3620
BHPian

What is a better car to buy for a family with 2 kids, new or otherwise. One rear facing baby seat and another forward facing baby seat. Small cars are out, I would assume.
Old 19th March 2014, 17:55   #3621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
What is a better car to buy for a family with 2 kids, new or otherwise. One rear facing baby seat and another forward facing baby seat. Small cars are out, I would assume.
With all the baggage that goes along-with two little kids - diaper bags, strollers, etc. I think you're better off looking at a small SUV, or God forbid, a mini-van.
Old 19th March 2014, 18:31   #3622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
With all the baggage that goes along-with two little kids - diaper bags, strollers, etc. I think you're better off looking at a small SUV, or God forbid, a mini-van.
Yeah I have to agree. Although a full size sedan could also do nicely. I have done quite a few trips in the charger with a double stroller in the boot.
But what will the car be used for? Does the OP expect to occasionally ferry more than 4 people?
Old 19th March 2014, 19:55   #3623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yeah I have to agree. Although a full size sedan could also do nicely. I have done quite a few trips in the charger with a double stroller in the boot.
But what will the car be used for? Does the OP expect to occasionally ferry more than 4 people?

Thanks. I'm looking at a temp car for 6 months or so and then go for a *heck* minivan. The odyssey thingy appears ugly but practical. But for the time being looking for a used car preferably that doesn't loose much of its value 6 months from now. No major trips. Just the regular shopping and trip to the park and beach.
Old 19th March 2014, 20:04   #3624
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I'm looking at a temp car for 6 months or so and then go for a *heck* minivan. The odyssey thingy appears ugly but practical. But for the time being looking for a used car preferably that doesn't loose much of its value 6 months from now. No major trips. Just the regular shopping and trip to the park and beach.
Whats your budget? Almost all small Japanese SUVs will hold their value decently well. The vintage depends on what you want to spend.
Old 19th March 2014, 20:07   #3625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Whats your budget? Almost all small Japanese SUVs will hold their value decently well. The vintage depends on what you want to spend.
Honestly i have no idea. Thinking of around 10k. Manageable?
Old 19th March 2014, 20:19   #3626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why wait for 6 months? If you know you are going to go for the Ody (or as we call it "The Bus" in my house) very soon, then why not go for it right away?

And if for some reason you have to get another car for 6 months, then i would recommend to get a beater car. That way, you wont lose much money when you sell it off.
Old 19th March 2014, 21:03   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
A minivan is a daylight ahead of anything else for sheer practicality and functionality for a family. No SUV or car can bring you the ease and utility that a van gives. I have been the man-in-a-van for a few years that my kids were in their car seat phase, and I don't really have anything to regret for it.
Why not buy a van right now, given that with 2 kids you are almost guaranteed of buying one in future anyway? The new minivans have the potential to surprise you (drive really good, consume about as much gas as a full size car, and offer you literally a house on wheels), unless you have a vanophobia like some men do

That being said, I have had a friend who did just fine with his twins in a Corolla for 4-5 years. It is all about perspective (and one's take on quality of life too, I guess). If not the minivan, then a decent full-sized car should do you just fine. As far as a family transporter goes, SUV's are overrated for their S and U, in my honest opinion.

Good luck.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 21:38   #3628
BHPian

Quote:
Like amitoj mentioned you are better off buying the Odyssey now rather than wait 6 months and sell the car you buy now. If its only for 4 people, why not look at RAV4 or CRV. You can even look at some of these with 3rd row seats if you need more passenger space.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 00:36   #3629
BHPian

Just adding my 2 cents here:

Since you mentioned you need one rear-facing child seat, I assume one of you kiddo is pretty young. In that case you may need an adult to accompany in the rear seat. So technically a three seat option is a must in which you can almost rule out any sedans.

By popular vote and as other have stated go for a mini-VAN. You will not regret at all.
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 01:10   #3630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I'm looking at a temp car for 6 months or so and then go for a *heck* minivan.
Looks like you are getting the first car as well. I will go with the overall opinion on the forum, if you are getting a minivan, might as well get it early. Apart from moving your stuff in comfort, occasional furniture purchase, visits to the home improvement store/ikea etc - will be a breeze with the minivan. You can then get something "sportier" or more "fun to drive" later - after you cover the practicality aspect with the minivan
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks