Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 20:58   #3601
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Thanks guys.

Jomz, got it right, its is a C5Z. Its a 2004, Black on Black, the best and the last of the C5Zs. And yes, that is the actual odo miles on the car. Got the car for $35k which personally, I feel is just the right money for that car.
The complete details of the car will be in its own thread.
The Alfa Romeo 4C is coming to the US next month. I remember you wanted that one badly. Another buy coming up soon in your garage?
Old 7th March 2014, 21:49   #3602
BHPian

I have a 2009 Nissan Altima which I purchased as a used car almost an year back. With the harsh winter this year, with several days of snow I am thinking what all those snow and salt would have done to the underbody of my car.

I remember that while in India, I got my car there treated with under body protection coating. Is this required for cars in the US? I assume that all new cars come with some form of anti rust coating. Is it time for a 2009 Altima to get the underbody protection again?

Thanks.
Old 7th March 2014, 21:56   #3603
BHPian

You don't need any aftermarket under-body protective coats.

However, you ought to take the car for an undercarriage car wash as often every now and then, especially if you live in the rust belt.
Old 7th March 2014, 22:59   #3604
BHPian

Fiat 500 is a good car, but for city use only. If you have a lot of highway usage, it might not be the most comfortable cruiser around.

I have done two 1500+ miles trip (Toronto - NYC - Indianapolis - Toronto) in Fiat 500. Even though it is a very good car, it struggles at speeds above 100kmph with even slight cross winds. 65mph is more of like a comfort zone but that makes you a very slow driver on highways where everyone is zooming by at 75+mph.

Those Fiat 500 on carmax, were these used as rental vehicles previously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
For the used cars, I am getting used M/T Fiat 500s for about 15k. Do they make sense if I plan to upgrade in about 2 years, in terms of resale and A.S.S.?

I like 500 for its looks and not sure whether the market has wide acceptability for the product since I see a lot of them with 10k miles on carmax.

Last edited by infotech58 : 7th March 2014 at 23:01.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 01:32   #3605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Those Fiat 500 on carmax, were these used as rental vehicles previously?
Thanks for all the inputs.

500s on the carmax are not rental vehicles though!

That surprises me - a lot of them are available in used market and that too with so low odo readings - is there something wrong beyond unsuitability for highways?

Regards
Old 8th March 2014, 03:19   #3606
BHPian

Quote:

That surprises me - a lot of them are available in used market and that too with so low odo readings - is there something wrong beyond unsuitability for highways?

Regards

There's nothing wrong with the car.
Mini Cooper, Beetle and Fiat 500 is mostly passed as Chic mobile. I remember seeing this quote on a VW Yellow Beetle some time back. "If a Guy is driving this, Consider it as stolen".
Otomobil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 03:22   #3607
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update Mohit. I am enamored by the ecoboost 1 liter engine in fiesta. Do you think that would be underpowered for speed controlled freeways here in US.

Also, since I am still dealing with financing my studies here, cost is definitely a concern. I am wondering whether to just lease the car or go in for an outright purchase.

For the used cars, I am getting used M/T Fiat 500s for about 15k. Do they make sense if I plan to upgrade in about 2 years, in terms of resale and A.S.S.?

I like 500 for its looks and not sure whether the market has wide acceptability for the product since I see a lot of them with 10k miles on carmax.
While the 500 Abarth was decent, I wouldn't be comfortable with the 500 if I had a daily freeway commute. (I haven't driven them extensively, just test drives).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
If you are bent on getting a small peppy car, I'd say skip the FIAT and look at the Mini Cooper

http://www.carmax.com/search?D=50&AS...ckNum=10218651

Way more fun and little more power even in base cooper guise. The fiat is a perfectly good city car but as I said, for highways, you will want something a little bit more substantial.
I will have to disagree. MINIs are said to be amongst the more unreliable brands on the market nowadays. I initially looked at them when I was researching my car purchase. I was told the m/ts are especially bad, with rebuilds being required on some cars even at 60k miles.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/201...ss-Release.htm

Quote:

Regards
Nothing wrong with the car. They just depreciated a lot rather quickly. Fiat is offering huge rebates on the new cars to push sales up.

Last edited by tanstaafl : 8th March 2014 at 03:24.
Old 8th March 2014, 04:38   #3608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
The Alfa Romeo 4C is coming to the US next month. I remember you wanted that one badly. Another buy coming up soon in your garage?
I will definitely wait for at least one year before I decide on the 4C. That will bring out all the gremlins and hopefully get addressed by the company to match the US market. Till now we only have the European market comments. US, as you know, is a different cup of tea. It needs completely different set up for it to work here. I am still conflicted about having a hood that cannot be opened.

I'll not be plunking that kind of money till I'm completely convinced. Remember this will mean giving up the GXP which, I simply will not do until I'm fully convinced. No way the GXP parts my custody, otherwise. That car is something totally special and a real thriller.

Of course, nothing compared to the Z of course which is, no joke, epic. My Z thread should be up pretty soon. The beauty of getting a brand new 2004 is that almost all the issues have been well documented and I've been addressing the few one by one. The 2004 is the final and the best year of the C5Z since, by that time GM essentially got it almost perfect including completely upgraded suspension set up. Some of the systems got carried over to the C6 models. The general feeling I get from the C6Z owners who were previously C5Z owners is that, even with all the advances in the C6Z and the additional 100 bhp, most of them seem to miss the fun factor of the C5Z and some actually went back or re-acquired the C5Z. I totally get where they're coming from and am hoping not to give it up for a while at least. What a car for sure? You gotta hear the exhaust to believe it, and a particularly raw complaint from the C6Z owners who felt GM missed the boat badly on the exhaust note for the C6Zs.
Old 8th March 2014, 07:42   #3609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update Mohit. I am enamored by the ecoboost 1 liter engine in fiesta. Do you think that would be underpowered for speed controlled freeways here in US
If you dont mind the compact size of the Fiesta, its a real fun car to drive. Strictly IMO, but I find the 500 is a bit effeminate. Heard the Abarth version is a hoot to drive though & definitely loot hot

Peeps, picked up a brand new Cruze a few months ago and put some 17" on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-cruze-compw3.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-cruze-comp.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 8th March 2014 at 09:00.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 08:01   #3610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
For your budget, just get a used midsize car or so - they are equally or more fuel efficient than many compacts and sub compacts and often are easier to sell off later. Also, you will have a lot of choices to buy from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Peeps, picked up a brand new Cruze a few months ago and put some 17" on it.
And nature put some ice on it right afterwards

Cool wheels. How much was the $ damage?
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 02:59   #3611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post

Cool wheels. How much was the $ damage?
It was around $600 and change. Completely transformed the car from bling to stealth. I am very happy with the resulting look
Old 18th March 2014, 05:44   #3612
Team-BHP Support

Hello Ameri-BHPians,

Lets see if we can get a meet going in the North East.

The temperature isn't warm enough yet but it will be soon.

Please put up your confirmations here -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-...us-meet-5.html (East Coast US Meet), or send me a PM so we can get together a list of possible venues.

Thanks!
aah78
aah78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 05:46   #3613
BHPian

Variation in engine idle speed

Y'day I was returning from Santa Cruz, CA to my place in San Jose, CA in my 2006 Mada3 (MT). Being the end of Spring break, CA-17 highway was fully packed with bumper to bumper traffic. I could only cover around 5 miles or so in 1 hour shifting between 1st & 2nd gears.

Since the roads were mostly descending (GPS showed elevation of ~1500 ft.) I was on neutral most of the time. However almost 1 hr in the bumper to bumper traffic, I could hear the engine revving unnecessarily and the tachometer showed revving at ~2500 rpm in neutral. This behavior went off after the traffic ceased and I could pick up speed. I also remember switching off the AC to see if that's causing any issue.

I'm not sure about this strange behavior and can anyone please shed some light on this? Thanks very much.
Old 18th March 2014, 06:12   #3614
BHPian

Try this: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-idles-too-high
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 22:52   #3615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Since the roads were mostly descending (GPS showed elevation of ~1500 ft.) I was on neutral most of the time.

Why were you in Neutral

Most Viewed