Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 02:15   #3541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
The Snow tires actually gave an opportunity to yell at my team. Most of today's calls went like " Guys, If I can make it from 50 miles away on a FWD Corolla in ~ a foot of snow.....".

I'm becoming a Typical desi manager.
Bragging rights are yours !

I drove up to Milwaukee today - lot's of spin outs and crashes of over zealous drivers thinking clear roads mean perfect roads.

Stay safe guys in this part of the world..
Old 7th January 2014, 23:32   #3542
BHPian

Hope our members in the mid West and East USA are safe and warm.

In the past couple of days I found out the thermometers in my cars can register negative temps too. (Was always curious about it, now I know)! I dropped my kids today morning to their day camp in minus 19 F, which is probably the lowest non-wind chill temp I have experienced in the US.

Apart from a jump start on one of my cars today morning it has been ok so far.

A grandpa in a white Caddy slipped, sled and turned face on in front of me in today morning's commute. A wee bit of thrill for the both of us there. Many of my neighbors experienced the fun and embarrassment of getting dead stuck on their own driveway shoulders yesterday before the streets got plowed. A neighboring Toyota Rav4 2WD entertained us for half an hour with a fine demo of how torque drums work...engine spinning at 4000 rpm and car going absolutely nowhere. A Ford Escape 2WD from across gave us an excellent demo of reverse swing - a vehicle if revved high in first gear will actually go reverse while trying to conquer the driveway in zero grip conditions. In the evening on the way to kids' Kumon class in downtown, counted about half a dozen separate instances of moronic twenty-some year olds stuck haplessly in the two feet high road-dividers that the snow plows had made. The sight of these cars stuck perpendicularly to the flow of the traffic made me nervous about the future of USA. What were they thinking, or were they even thinking? At the Lifetime Fitness gym later in the evening, was aghast to see one teen girl after the other walk in wearing just shorts and a small jacket in this weather (their high usage iPhones were dressed up in nice covers though). Shuddered to think what would happen to them if they somehow found themselves in a bad situation on the road due to the weather.

Shoveling in negative temps was a killer yesterday. I got over 2.5 feet of white matter on my driveway over the course of 2 days. Late in the afternoon after my 6th shoveling cycle I was just beginning to get mighty pleased with my work when the City's big plow-truck showed up on my street and proceeded to make an otherwise awesome 3 foot tall wall of packed cake snow on the ramp of my clean driveway. That gave me a chance to practice many forgotten choice desi gaali's while cleaning that mess up Also, I'm no Ace Ventura but all this snow has revealed to me the existence of a secret traffic way of rabbits, crows (ravens), squirrels, deer, dogs, cats and possibly even an ostrich, that goes from the South West to the North East and beyond in my backyard.

As a passing note, for snowy days like these I recommend Jason Fagone’s book “Ingenious: A True Story of Invention, Automotive Daring, and the Race to Revive America”. An inspiring book about an automobile contest that was sponsored by Progressive Insurance and a good read.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 7th January 2014 at 23:41.
NinadJoshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 02:57   #3543
BHPian

It was -25 F (-40 F with wind chill) this morning. The hvac display in my car was laggy because of the liquid in the display freezing.

There was one day last week when I chose not to drive but otherwise, my car (w/ winter tires) has handled it well. Still don't regret buying a RWD in MI, lets see if that changes before the end of winter.
Old 8th January 2014, 02:58   #3544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Hope our members in the mid West and East USA are safe and warm.

In the past couple of days I found out the thermometers in my cars can register negative temps too. (Was always curious about it, now I know)! I dropped my kids today morning to their day camp in minus 19 F, which is probably the lowest non-wind chill temp I have experienced in the US.
Yeah its pretty bad today as far as temperature goes.

Thats pretty low, where are you in US? Also why were you driving out when everyone was going for a spin(pun intended ). is your TL SH-AWD?
Old 8th January 2014, 03:21   #3545
BHPian

I knew it for sure that there HAD TO BE ACTIVITY here on this thread, and I wasn't wrong.

Glad to hear that the TBHPians are staying warm and safe. As long as the "events" cataloged as "Vortex Memories" are limited to just some spins and skids that leave a smile and no bruise, I kinda like that myself too.

I was considering getting through this winter without splurging money for some NOKIANS. Looks like "they" heard my plan and decided to come in heavy.
Old 8th January 2014, 03:22   #3546
BHPian

You guys should move to Cali in winter.

Name:  Screen Shot 20140107 at 1.51.59 PM.png
Views: 694
Size:  48.2 KB
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 04:49   #3547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
You guys should move to Cali in winter.
LOL. Thanks but no thanks! I have a friend in San Jose. The commute woes that he narrates reminds me of my days in Bangalore. It would defeat my purpose of moving to US if i move to a city that has same weather, same traffic (w.r.t average speed), and same population as Bangalore!!

Winters like these make me appreciate the summers even more!
Old 8th January 2014, 05:35   #3548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
LOL. Thanks but no thanks! I have a friend in San Jose. The commute woes that he narrates reminds me of my days in Bangalore. It would defeat my purpose of moving to US if i move to a city that has same weather, same traffic (w.r.t average speed), and same population as Bangalore!!

Winters like these make me appreciate the summers even more!
LOL yea but San Jose is crowded only during weekends you must move to LA to experience Bangalore traffic
Old 8th January 2014, 07:35   #3549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yeah its pretty bad today as far as temperature goes.

Thats pretty low, where are you in US? Also why were you driving out when everyone was going for a spin(pun intended ). is your TL SH-AWD?
I'm a Michigander of many years. The TL is a simple but faithful FWD workhorse worth every one of the countless miles she has done for me. As for driving out in the snow, there ain't any other option, is there? "Majboori ka naam Mahatma Gandhi" as the saying goes

Speaking of AWD, I have to say wife's unassuming Subaru Legacy really shines in inclement weather like this. Even with all season tires she takes the snow, slush and ice like a mountain goat.
NinadJoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 08:04   #3550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post

Speaking of AWD, I have to say wife's unassuming Subaru Legacy really shines in inclement weather like this. Even with all season tires she takes the snow, slush and ice like a mountain goat.
Have felt the same about the Forester. Just is a confident being on the rough stuff.
To add to that, the RWD biased AWD M35 we have also has handled everything with aplomb so far. Has been a surprise to me. In certain conditions, it feels more confident than the Forester (I guess tires, though both are all season, lower center of gravity etc. contribute).

Considering it is only January, I'm worried this winter would be very frustrating and very long!

Btw, 0 F today for a high felt like beach weather!
Old 9th January 2014, 01:36   #3551
BHPian

Stunning visuals of some Michigan lighthouses from the storm and cold that has gripped us since the past few days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-storm.html
NinadJoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 22:55   #3552
BHPian

Bhpian's.

Do anybody here own a Nissan-Leaf ? Was talking to co-worker, he brought up the federal tax credits of upto $7500 on new lease / buy of an fully electric vehicle.

Further digging on this, Found this thread from another forum which i believe is an unbeatable deal.

Any BHPian's in Georgia for a new car ? Heck, Why not ? when it is free and make some money too.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6559500-geor...9-without-vpp?

Last edited by Otomobil : 10th January 2014 at 22:57.
Old 10th January 2014, 23:02   #3553
BHPian

Silicon Valley Auto Show opened on Thursday and ends on Sunday (9-12 Jan).

Here is the link - http://www.motortrendautoshows.com/sanjose/

San Jose McEnery Convention Center
150 West San Carlos Street San Jose, CA 95113
Old 10th January 2014, 23:28   #3554
BHPian

Anyone going to the Detroit Auto Show? Depending on the weather, I should be there on one of the two weekends of the public show.
Old 16th January 2014, 21:05   #3555
BHPian

I'll probably go this weekend. GM swept the NACTOY awards this year. I can almost best next year it will be Ford..sometime I get a feeling it is a mutually 'understood' agreement between these two

A look at Hyundai through Google Glass is cool I'm told, as is Honda's FCEV and Toyota's FT-1.

Anyone from here already visited yet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks