Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 17:54   #3301
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
What would you define an enthusiast car(manual tranny) priced between $20-$30k. Used or New.
Depends on what type of car you're looking for - sedan / coupe / sports car?
Old 4th October 2013, 19:06   #3302
BHPian

Quote:
What would you define an enthusiast car(manual tranny) priced between $20-$30k. Used or New.
New Subaru WRX (not the STi) (~260 bhp, 2.5L turbo)
New VW GTI (~200 bhp, 2L turbo)
New Mazdaspeed3 (~260 bhp 2.3L turbo)
New Mustang (~300 bhp, V6).

Notice the 'new' prefix on all. If you are seeking a used sports car, your risk exposure is higher. Unless you are a master mechanic yourself, or your best friend is one, you'll never know how the previous owner drove his WRX Sti or M3. Cars in the 'perky' (or zippy) category do tend to get abused considering they are primarily bought to satisfy the driver's urge for 'vigorous' driving and 'throwing around'.

All the 4 above are under 30K new, and enjoyable drives. I cannot vouch for Mazdaspeed3 because I haven't driven it, but the other three, without doubt are fun rides.

Although I am no longer the one to look at 0-60 numbers and lateral g specs any more, if I were to make myself 10 years younger my personal recommendation among the 4 above would be .... all. (Which would explain why I should not give advice on such matters. I tend to like everything)

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 4th October 2013 at 19:11.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 20:54   #3303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Used cars really throw the options wide open - there are no limits then.
4-5 year old M3s and Corvettes amongst used cars, If you turn out to be lucky, 4-5 year old Cayman/Boxster S etc. are also good options.
I did think of the Porsche, but was little worried bout how expensive it would be to maintain one.
Not sure of the Corvettes, or atleast the ones I saw were above 30+
But yea after checking out Chevelle's corvette i'm surely intrigued

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
"Used or New" throws the spectrum wide open! New is somewhat easy. Subaru BRZ and Ford Focus ST.
For some reason I didn't find comfortable on the FR-S, hence I ruled it out. But let me go check the car this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post
Used or new really keeps it wide open.
For a new car, I think the Focus ST definitely fits the bill
Will have this on my list for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Depends on what type of car you're looking for - sedan / coupe / sports car?
preferably Sports car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Cars in the 'perky' (or zippy) category do tend to get abused considering they are primarily bought to satisfy the driver's urge for 'vigorous' driving and 'throwing around'.
Somewhat close to what I had in mind too. Very interesting perspective of looking at used cars, I'm sure if I had a STi I wouldn't just drive it like I did a camry or civic.
I'm a huge Mustang fanatic, infact sold my 01 mustang and looking to replace it now. Somehow not sure if the V6 will cut the mark.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 4th October 2013 at 20:56.
Old 4th October 2013, 21:01   #3304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did think of the Porsche, but was little worried bout how expensive it would be to maintain one.
Not sure of the Corvettes, or atleast the ones I saw were above 30+
But yea after checking out Chevelle's corvette i'm surely intrigued
Porsche's are the best in reliability from Germany. As long you don't have a lot of electronics nannies, which I doubt if an old Cayman or Boxster will have - they are just supremely good cars mechanically with the mid engine layout and phenomenal balance. But yeah, finding one in that price bracket will be kinda hard.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 21:17   #3305
BHPian

Quote:
Porsche's are the best in reliability from Germany. As long you don't have a lot of electronics nannies, which I doubt if an old Cayman or Boxster will have - they are just supremely good cars mechanically with the mid engine layout and phenomenal balance. But yeah, finding one in that price bracket will be kinda hard.
Yes, I was looking for 08 and higher, hardly 4-5 Porsches show up
Old 4th October 2013, 21:40   #3306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very interesting perspective of looking at used cars, I'm sure if I had a STi I wouldn't just drive it like I did a camry or civic.
That's not really a bad thing. The difference in hard-driven cars is whether the car has been driven as it was designed to be driven (and maintained properly), or abused.

A used tracked car will perform well if it's been cared for. If you can get a folder full of service receipts / maintenance records from the previous owner you have an idea how the car was treated.

Point being that a high performance car, if not driven in a fairly "spirited" manner may fail too - e.g. BMW engines love being revved. If you stick to commuting and use only the 2000-3000 rev range daily, leaving the higher range unexplored the valves tend to get stuck eventually.

If you're looking for just the fun factor then you can have LOADS of that from an MX-5, Boxter or Elise. In fact, I'm hard pressed for parking spots and limited to one car in the city, else I would definitely LOVE to have one of those around. They're great for commuting, atleast the Boxter & MX-5 are (the Elise is not much for comfort), and fun.

If you want high performance, then definitely only the high performance 6s & V8s will satiate your thirst.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 22:24   #3307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
That's not really a bad thing. The difference in hard-driven cars is whether the car has been driven as it was designed to be driven (and maintained properly), or abused.

A used tracked car will perform well if it's been cared for. If you can get a folder full of service receipts / maintenance records from the previous owner you have an idea how the car was treated.

If you want high performance, then definitely only the high performance 6s & V8s will satiate your thirst.
Indeed, but its going to be a good hunt to get a decently and properly driven sports car
Do you suggest Mustang V6 is good? I'm not getting a manual as much, but came across a 2010 that is run for 13k miles selling at $16k with the local dealer.

And yes this will be my only car
Old 4th October 2013, 22:35   #3308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed, but its going to be a good hunt to get a decently and properly driven sports car
Do you suggest Mustang V6 is good? I'm not getting a manual as much, but came across a 2010 that is run for 13k miles selling at $16k with the local dealer.

The Mustang V6 is plenty powerful for most people, but it has a notorious image as a "Secretary car" or "Rental car". Look for a Mustang GT with the V8. Not sure what the take rate on that was with a manual (was it even available with a manual?). I was reading just yesterday that 40% of the 2014 Corvette sales have been with the 7 speed manual. So in cars where the manual transmission really makes sense, people still go for them. Corvette's automatic is probably the only chink in the armor of that car.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 22:40   #3309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you suggest Mustang V6 is good?
Ummmm nope.I drove a friend's V6 mustang and it was not fun! It had trouble in moving.

What about Pontiac GTOs in used market? I think you can get some with low miles for around 16K as well. But then again, like most American muscle, its good for going in a straight line.

That is another thing. What are your preferences when looking for an enthusiast car? Power, handling, feedback, looks, mod potential? Of course you would like to have all of them but in what order of preference?
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 22:50   #3310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Ouch, no the Mustang V6 with an automatic will bore you out in no time.
I know the newer Mustang V6 had some performance upgrades that gave them a similar suspension & brake setup from one of the higher models. That would be a nice track car with the manual.

Yes, the Pontiac GTO should be good but it's old now. Unfortunately the G8 GXP was a great replacement that never made it out in big numbers (and I don't remember whether they actually sold any with manual transmissions).

For an only car, if buying used I don't know but I think wouldn't go for more than 2 years old in the current Model Year line-up.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 22:52   #3311
BHPian

Quote:
The Mustang V6 is plenty powerful for most people, but it has a notorious image as a "Secretary car" or "Rental car". Look for a Mustang GT with the V8. Not sure what the take rate on that was with a manual (was it even available with a manual?). I was reading just yesterday that 40% of the 2014 Corvette sales have been with the 7 speed manual. So in cars where the manual transmission really makes sense, people still go for them. Corvette's automatic is probably the only chink in the armor of that car.
V8's surely are my preference but then it may not fit the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Ummmm nope.I drove a friend's V6 mustang and it was not fun! It had trouble in moving.

That is another thing. What are your preferences when looking for an enthusiast car? Power, handling, feedback, looks, mod potential? Of course you would like to have all of them but in what order of preference?
Lol yea would surely want all the above, but practically handling, power, feedback, looks. Are the priority. Mods may not be on the cards immediately since I'm working a lot on my bike so car will be kept sane and enjoyed for some canyon drives and potentially track someday.

Would you suggest Charger?
Old 4th October 2013, 23:09   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
Lol yea would surely want all the above, but practically handling, power, feedback, looks. Are the priority. Mods may not be on the cards immediately since I'm working a lot on my bike so car will be kept sane and enjoyed for some canyon drives and potentially track someday.

Aside from power, MX-5 ticks all the boxes and you can get a fairly new to brand new in your budget. There's a reason why they say that whatever the car question, the answer is always a Miata

BUT, if you need family hauling capabilities, you need to look elsewhere.
mohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 23:10   #3313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

haha! Only if you had kept power before handling My R/T is not a bad handler but the heavy weight and the big size just dont make a corner carver (facebook page for Mopar Corner Carvers notwithstanding)

When handling is the topmost priority, i think Europeans are the best, specially Subarus i hear. Next comes Mitsu Evo. Although I doubt you will find many in the used car market. You can look at used Miatas too, just for fun! They are extremely underpowered though. Power would have to be priority number 3 for a Miata.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 23:26   #3314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Aside from power, MX-5 ticks all the boxes and you can get a fairly new to brand new in your budget. There's a reason why they say that whatever the car question, the answer is always a Miata

BUT, if you need family hauling capabilities, you need to look elsewhere.
No family hauling yet

Looks like I need to check out the Miata, for some reason I always assumed its a chick car.
Old 4th October 2013, 23:26   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
Addition to the other suggestions

1, 91-95 NSX's - they go up in price and are quite rare.

2, 350z/370z/ G35/ G37 - you can get 2-3 year old 370Z's in the 20's, If need warranty- get one from CarMax and get their extended warranty.

3, s2000/Saturn sky/Solstice GXP/ - Early ones can go for like 8-12k. Modding is expensive, since they are pretty much maxed out from factory ( for the s2000, VLOCT could help on the GM ones)

4,SLK ( yes, this came in MT and are quite rare & cheap)/Z4 - Style points. You might get one cheap which is out of warranty. Saw a 2005 SLK 250 MT with 146k miles in my local craigslist for 9.5k

5, Z4M's
the link which follows is from a dealer who specializes only in M cars. There is an 07 Z4M right at 30K. No extended warranty, but everybody who bought from him is extremely satisfied and they have buy back on their cars.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?f...4_0=1&x=20&y=9

6, Evo/ STi used - Active8 could tell on this one.

Last edited by Jomz : 4th October 2013 at 23:28.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks