Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 19:58   #3271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But on the other hand, purchasing/leasing a minivan or an SUV the size of a Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon will really be an overkill.
America loves Ayn Rand. The country does its best to live by her philosophies.
Ayn Rand said "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing"
You live in America.
Ergo, you must buy a Suburban

And, you have already started down this path. You needed a car for 4 people to commute and go on trips. You went and bought a muscle car, when you could as easily have bought a Hyundai Accent.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:22   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont really believe in the concept of a 5 seater SUV that will only see tarmac all its life. There are equally spacious 5 seater sedans in the market that will do the job pretty well and put a smile on your face. So far, in all our long distance trips, we have taken the Charger and it has served us well!

Now, when our parents come over, we will need a 7 seater almost every other day and definitely every weekend. Renting a minivan for each trip will not really work out. Plus it will be a bit of a hassle. Over a 3 to 4 month period, we will end up renting a minivan at least 7 or 8 times, and taking two cars for trips to malls etc!! But on the other hand, purchasing/leasing a minivan or an SUV the size of a Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon will really be an overkill. That's why i feel that an SUV the size of a Traverse/Acadia might fit my needs well.
I agree, if they are for 3-4 months then buying a Minivan makes most sense, yeah I know you are trying to find an SUV But like I said before, nothing beats the practicality of these minivans & they come pretty loaded too
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:14   #3273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
But like I said before, nothing beats the practicality of these minivans & they come pretty loaded too
Hmmm... maybe i should test out the minivans first! And save the most hopeful SUV for the last!!
I wish i had this weekend free for test drives. Although from my last weekend's experience, the best time to go for test drives is during the week when the sales people are relatively free. Weekends are mostly spent in sealing the deals. Anyway, I will try out the Pathfinder tomorrow and share my thoughts here.

Thanks!
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 00:14   #3274
Senior - BHPian

Amitoj: I second Techno's thoughts. Practicality wise nothing beats the Mini vans.

Saying this after a road trip in a GMC Yukon XL. This was a rental. The one scary time all through the trips was the gas station visit. Tank full was $100 and this occured like frequently through the trip. SO please do take the daily running into consideration.

Now coming to the heart vs head debate the SUV's win without a contest. Its more fun to drive, very good driving position, great engine and can do pretty much anything. Looks like you will have a frequent 4-5 on a normal basis with 7 when parents visit. Right? Just an idea, kids can go to the last row, parents can enjoy the middle row bucket seats or even the front passenger, no one complains on leg space. All happy

Let us know how your search goes(its as usual the hardest part).
Maddy
maddy42 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 00:35   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
Did I miss anything?

Did you miss the LWB(Long Wheel Base) Hyundai Santa Fe? Believe me It will give a tough competition for the most on that list in all aspects. Worth checking it out.
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 01:14   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Just an idea, kids can go to the last row, parents can enjoy the middle row bucket seats or even the front passenger, no one complains on leg space. All happy

Let us know how your search goes(its as usual the hardest part).
Maddy
That is the idea regarding the seating!

As for search, some people find it the most exciting part! I am leaning towards that myself now that I am not in a big hurry right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Did you miss the LWB(Long Wheel Base) Hyundai Santa Fe? Believe me It will give a tough competition for the most on that list in all aspects. Worth checking it out.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I had not considered it. However, looking at its specs, its rear boot space with 3rd row in place (for the 7 seater variant) seems to be really small (13 cu ft vs 24 in Traverse)
Old 3rd October 2013, 01:30   #3277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I had not considered it. However, looking at its specs, its rear boot space with 3rd row in place (for the 7 seater variant) seems to be really small (13 cu ft vs 24 in Traverse)
On the Traverse - have never really driven it, but I have had a 2013 Acadia on rental once. I found that to be ponderous and very hesitant to direction changes. Fuel economy for a 7-8 seater was respectable - 22 - 23 mpg in realword 70 - 80 mph driving. Its however very roomy, interiors are quite nice and the chevy mylink infotainment system is good.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 01:38   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I found that to be ponderous and very hesitant to direction changes.
That's something to think about. Can you elaborate a bit more on that? How should I test this in a test drive?
Old 3rd October 2013, 01:39   #3279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's something to think about. Can you elaborate a bit more on that? How should I test this in a test drive?
If you get to drive on a freeway, try a quick lane change at speed - like an emergency evasive action you may take in a real world situation. (PS: Don't scare the salesman in the process).
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 02:38   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, i am in no hurry to decide. Plus, I still have the following to try out:
1. Traverse's twin, GMC Acadia
2. Mazda CX9 (on popular demand!! Even the Chevvy salesman agreed!)
3. Ford Explorer
4. Nissan Pathfinder
5. Toyota Siena
6. Honda Odyssey.

Did I miss anything?
Toyota Sequoia?? It is based on the Tundra

Last edited by Jomz : 3rd October 2013 at 02:43.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:07   #3281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Toyota Sequoia?? It is based on the Tundra
Too big, too expensive, too tall, too low FE
Jeeze you make me sound as if i am being too picky!!

In other news, I got a quote from a dealer whom i contacted through TrueCar.com. He has given me a quote for a 2014 AWD LTZ (topmost trim) which is :

MSRP is $49,240
Invoice is $46,756
sales price before any rebates is $46,656 ($100 BELOW invoice!)

Then there's a customer cash rebate of $1,500. (You automatically qualify for this)
This brings your sales price to $45,156.

Then there's a lease conquest rebate of $1,000 (You qualify for this if anyone in your house leases a non-GM vehicle)
This brings your sales price to $44,156

He has given me another quote for a 2013 2LT AWD:
MSRP is $44,930
Invoice is $43,003
Sales price before any rebates is $42,703 ($300 BELOW invoice before any rebates!)

Then there's a $2,000 customer cash rebate. (You automatically qualify for this)
This brings your sales price to $40,703.

Then there's a lease conquest rebate of $1,000 (You qualify for this if anyone in your house leases a non-GM vehicle)
This brings your sales price to $39,703.

Do I have room for further negotiations? This seems to be much better than the Costco price that was suggested by the local dealer here in Nashua. But in US, they say you always have room to negotiate further after the first quote.
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:17   #3282
BHPian

Quote:
Too big, too expensive, too tall, too low FE

Do I have room for further negotiations? This seems to be much better than the Costco price that was suggested by the local dealer here in Nashua. But in US, they say you always have room to negotiate further after the first quote.
Are you only dealing with a single dealer? I suggest that you get quotes from multiple dealers from across the country. Also, factor in whether you're willing to look at previous years model that might be sitting on a dealer lot. Unless, the newer model is completely redone, the loss of re-sale value is probably very minor. For the best deal, you have got to make use of all the advantages that we can avail. I wouldn't even bother talking to a dealer until I know that my starting point of negotiation is within a ball park figure.

When I'm on the hunt, I solicit quotes from multiple dealers, online usually, from across the nation. Many dealers will ship the car to your door. Then I narrow it down to a select few and deal with them on the phone. You have a better idea when you have multiple quotes in your hand.

When I picked up the CX-9, I did not step into the dealer until we agreed on the final price (~$36K OTR), which by the way, was almost $7000 less than the highest quote I got. I got the top of the line Grand Sport AWD, every option except the rear DVD and roof rack.

Unless, you plan to have a long term relationship (repeat buyer) with your local dealer, the advantage of buying cars locally is completely overblown.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:34   #3283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Are you only dealing with a single dealer? I suggest that you get quotes from multiple dealers from across the country. Also, factor in whether you're willing to look at previous years model that might be sitting on a dealer lot. Unless, the newer model is completely redone, the loss of re-sale value is probably very minor. For the best deal, you have got to make use of all the advantages that we can avail. I wouldn't even bother talking to a dealer until I know that my starting point of negotiation is within a ball park figure.
Dealing with a single dealer would be financial suicide. This is the third dealer I have contacted online, and definitely not the last one.

Say, how is your CX 9 coming along? Is there an ownership report i can browse?
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:59   #3284
BHPian

Sorry Amitoj. Never really posted an ownership report but I did post a brief report on this thread a few weeks back. I bought the CX-9 (March 2011) for my wife. Primary considerations were 3rd row seat, AWD, driving and handling dynamics (priority) plus 'good looking'. The vehicle has held up very well, and we have not had a single issue so far but then, we only put around 6000-7000 miles a year on it. The standard equipment list was quite exhaustive and I couldn't find a single reason to even consider a more premium model. In short, we're completely satisfied with the choice. How it'll hold up in the long term is anyone's guess. But the deciding factor (for me) was the steering feedback and road holding. The others don't even come close unless, you're talking BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne etc.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 22:03   #3285
Team-BHP Support

Well I'm not really sure if you're inclined to try out Chrysler, but I was driven around in a Town & Country in Boston for a week in May, and I was impressed with it. Seats seven in comfort, doesn't seem sluggish at all, and our driver said gives decent FE too.

Might be a tad too big for your needs though.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed