Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 03:09   #3226
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
That's a relief to hear. Phew!

Jomz, do you know whether there was any recall on the 2008 RLs at all? If yes, then is there some way I can verify that the work was executed?
There is a recall for a Power steering hose, Call the Honda number, give the VIN and they can tell you whether the recall is done or not.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Acura-RL-2008/recalls/

On the tranny issue, I think that is normal. I'll ask around.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 08:35   #3227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Don't keep shifting out of D into N or P at red lights. While it's OK for a manual, it's bad for your automatic transmission. There's also a safety issue.
Leave the tranny in D and when the light turns green let the car begin rolling before you step on the gas. You'll get a much smoother start than if you floor it at take-off.
I agree, Please please don't shift in Neutral while at lights. I had raised this issue to many mechanics and also on G35 forum and was given a logical reasoning which made me stop this thing.

Quote:

Yes, some of the red lights on my way to work are awfully long, and that's when I engage into NEUTRAL. Maybe its just a habit from the sticks I've been driving since 12 years now! I do not know whether its better/worse from the mechanics of things
I was doing the same thing when i raised this question and was told that let the brakes be pressed at all time and not shift to N from D. This help in increasing longevity of transmission while the brakes are designed to be used like that at the stop light as well as slopes. In SF, most of the roads are hilly, there if you keep doing this i am pretty sure you will toast the transmission. Please don't do this no matter how frequent you use to do it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Wow, considering the amount of work the car has had done, I don't think you need to worry about spending too much too soon.

From what I read the car has pretty much everything serviced other than spark-plugs being replaced & differential(s) + transfer case fluids being changed.

Other than that, springs & shocks may be on their way out - considering mileage and years. But that also depends on the type of roads the car has been and will be driven on.
He is good atleast till 100k-110k when he will be advised to change spark plugs. A independent mechanic who specialized in Infi, Acura and Lexus told me that these are designed to be used until 120k. So don't bother changing it. I changed spark plugs at 110k-115k miles and they were still in good condition. It would have easily lasted 120k. These are platinum and last really long.

I also believe same thing will happen with shocks/springs. You are good until atleast 120k thinking it was not drove rashly at all times.

I don't know if this is good for Acura but on infi, i have been advised to do a transmission drain and fill every 30k. May be it will be same for your RL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D
The insurance is something I am still struggling with. I was expecting something along 80$/month, but GEICO quoted me a whopping 130$/month. And the others like STATE FARM and PROGRESSIVE were only higher. So, I am guessing it is viewed as the latter that you mentioned.
....Any suggestions to bring down that monthly expense? Would certainly appreciate it.

If any of you are familiar with the 3D Mats that are a craze in India, and definitely worth it, is there something here that is similar? Something that is custom made to fit the floor of the Acura RL? The best I see is the weather-tech mats, but not sure whether they are 3-dimensional to keep all that snow and rain and mud and muck within the mats!

For insurance, i suggest AAA. If you need an agent to talk to, let me know, i can provide you with a reference. She will give you best deal possible.

For mats, i use the Infiniti's original because at $100 for four, they are easy to replace even though it may get dirty soon. Stick to RL's if you can.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2013 at 17:50. Reason: Quote fixed.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 20:34   #3228
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I have not been able to spend much time on TBHP but good to see so many new (or pre worshipped) car owners!! Congratulations to all of you!

Quote:
A Pre-Worshipped 2008 Acura RL 3.5L V6.
VVT-i, SOHC
256ft-lbs@5000revs
290hp@6200revs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatham.psb View Post
Hi Guys,

This comes quiet late; but as they say, better late than never.
Got myself a subaru brz. Been about a month and half into the ownership and just love it. Had been reading all the posts in this thread, but never got time to post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
In other news, I leased a new 2013 Acura TSX on Saturday. The owners manual states to change brake fluid every 3 years irrespective of mileage, which is consistent with Jeroen's theory of hygroscopic nature of brake fluid.
And a shout out to Fraz33r! Dude, how long do you intend to keep your thread on the Assembly line? Bring it out man!!

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 25th September 2013, 21:21   #3229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And a shout out to Fraz33r! Dude, how long do you intend to keep your thread on the Assembly line? Bring it out man!!

Cheers
Amitoj
LOL. I should have brought myself up to speed first before making that comment! Just saw this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-328i-rwd.html
Old 25th September 2013, 21:31   #3230
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Amitoj
Thanks @amitoj for attending the mini-tbhp meet at the dealership the other day!

My thread is already out! See here: (Sorry for poor editing on that thread.)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-328i-rwd.html

Last edited by Fraz33r : 25th September 2013 at 21:33. Reason: added content
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 23:25   #3231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I agree, Please please don't shift in Neutral while at lights. I had raised this issue to many mechanics and also on G35 forum and was given a logical reasoning which made me stop this thing.
For insurance, i suggest AAA. If you need an agent to talk to, let me know, i can provide you with a reference. She will give you best deal possible.
For mats, i use the Infiniti's original because at $100 for four, they are easy to replace even though it may get dirty soon. Stick to RL's if you can.
Thanks much. Yes, the process of un-learning has already started since this morning's drive although it'll take some time getting used to. But, better soon than late.

Can you pls PM me the agent's number? I ll speak to her. I really appreciate your offer to help.

For mats.. I got in touch with Weather-Tech, and apparently they don't have anything for the Acura RL older than 2011. I spoke with a Maxpider dealer, and he said he could try. Still waiting to hear from him.

I thought I could live with the RL mats that came along, but apparently, just one trip to Mount Evans last weekend was all it took to make a mess of the carpets. Which is why, I strongly feel that something with a 3D mould will better suit the need.

Quote:
Wow! I have not been able to spend much time on TBHP but good to see so many new (or pre worshipped) car owners!! Congratulations to all of you!
Thanks a lot.
Old 26th September 2013, 05:47   #3232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you pls PM me the agent's number? I ll speak to her. I really appreciate your offer to help.

For mats.. I got in touch with Weather-Tech, and apparently they don't have anything for the Acura RL older than 2011. I spoke with a Maxpider dealer, and he said he could try. Still waiting to hear from him

Thanks a lot.
I just had a talk with agent.she is licensed to work only in CA. Sorry about that.didn't know.

So if any body in here needs a reference, let me know.

Hope you find the mats.there are a few mats which you can cut and customize it according to shape of floor.you may wanna explore that.
Old 26th September 2013, 11:29   #3233
BHPian

Has anyone got opticoat 2.0 done on their cars? I see mixed opinion on net regarding the advantages.

Is it really necessary to get it done or good old waxing and claying done every few months be sufficient to maintain the paint and shine?
Old 26th September 2013, 18:59   #3234
BHPian

Gatham.psb, although completely unnecessary it is one of those fad things that does not have any down side either. You can easily live without it just as you can easily live with it. In short, if you have the cash, do it.
Old 26th September 2013, 19:14   #3235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone got opticoat 2.0 done on their cars? I see mixed opinion on net regarding the advantages.
I'd give it a pass but then I am a habitual cleaner. If i dont wax and polish my car every couple of months i get restless.
Old 26th September 2013, 20:02   #3236
BHPian

My BRZ got delivered yesterday night!

He wouldn't let me drive it off the truck (insurance reasons) but I got to drive it around the city at 5:30 AM today. I don't think I like that "enhanced" engine sound being pumped into the driver area, so will plug that sometime today.

Here's a really crappy gauge sweep gif I made.
Attached Images

tanstaafl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 21:24   #3237
BHPian

Congrats tanstaafl. Welcome to the club

Live with the sound pipe as of now. Decide on it after 1000 miles break-in. The car comes alive around 5.2k rpm and that moment it makes a sweet noise. In the mid band between 3k to 5k it does not sound so good and there is a torque dip also. Wait till you get to 1000 miles and then rev above 4k. Trust me, the feeling is good.

Thanks,
Gautham
Old 26th September 2013, 22:35   #3238
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats tanstaafl. Welcome to the club

Live with the sound pipe as of now. Decide on it after 1000 miles break-in. The car comes alive around 5.2k rpm and that moment it makes a sweet noise. In the mid band between 3k to 5k it does not sound so good and there is a torque dip also. Wait till you get to 1000 miles and then rev above 4k. Trust me, the feeling is good.

Thanks,
Gautham
Thank you.

I don't plan a permanent fix right now. This is what I was looking at.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30659

No tools required. Just plug the tube that pipes the sound into the cabin. Like you suggested, I will remove it after 1000 miles and see if I like that sound.
Old 26th September 2013, 23:04   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
My BRZ got delivered yesterday night!

He wouldn't let me drive it off the truck (insurance reasons) but I got to drive it around the city at 5:30 AM today. I don't think I like that "enhanced" engine sound being pumped into the driver area, so will plug that sometime today.

Here's a really crappy gauge sweep gif I made.
Give it a while before redlining. It may not be bad to the engine anymore, but give a couple of 100 miles run, before redlining.

Edit :- Oops, that was just the startup sweep, I thought you redlined the car.

Last edited by Jomz : 26th September 2013 at 23:06.
Old 27th September 2013, 00:18   #3240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Gatham.psb, although completely unnecessary it is one of those fad things that does not have any down side either. You can easily live without it just as you can easily live with it. In short, if you have the cash, do it.
It costs a bomb. I got a quote for 750$ for cleaning, claying and then applying optiocoat. Staying away from this, alteast for now.

Quote:
I'd give it a pass but then I am a habitual cleaner. If i dont wax and polish my car every couple of months i get restless.
I am planning on waxing every 2-3 months and normal hand wash once or twice a month. That should be enough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks