Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 02:18   #3166
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatham.psb View Post
Hi Guys,

This comes quiet late; but as they say, better late than never.
Got myself a subaru brz. Been about a month and half into the ownership and just love it. Had been reading all the posts in this thread, but never got time to post.
Congrats on the new car. A guy on a s2000 forum has a BRZ. He has a pretty amazing review of the car, on the track.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/970117-2013-subaru-brz/
Old 18th September 2013, 02:39   #3167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Congrats on the new car. A guy on a s2000 forum has a BRZ. He has a pretty amazing review of the car, on the track.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/970117-2013-subaru-brz/
Thanks Jomz.

I had read this review long time ago. Forgot to add this in my last post. My quest for a drivers car did make me consider an used s2000. The thing with s2000 is that every car i have come across had been modded in some way or other. So the 'what if something goes wrong' fear stays in mind. But that is a very superb car. I read in jalopnik that Honda is secretly working on an s2000 successor. Not an official information though.
Old 18th September 2013, 02:59   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In other news, I leased a new 2013 Acura TSX on Saturday. The owners manual states to change brake fluid every 3 years irrespective of mileage, which is consistent with Jeroen's theory of hygroscopic nature of brake fluid.
Congrats the TSX is a nice car, did you get all the packages?

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Got myself a subaru brz. Been about a month and half into the ownership and just love it. Had been reading all the posts in this thread, but never got time to post.

Thanks,
Gautham

Congratulations, The FRS/BRZ are really nice enthusiast cars. Do keep us posted on the overall ownership experience.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th September 2013 at 03:01.
Old 18th September 2013, 05:14   #3169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Thanks. Went with the DGM Limited. I picked the BRZ for the same reason as you, the interiors. The FR-S 10 series would have been OK as well, but it only comes in that one colour. (And the heated seats in the BRZ are definitely a welcome addition in Michigan.)
That makes it 2 DGM brz's on the forum.

The hard part will be the first 1000 miles break-in. Remember to keep the RPM under 4k (Very difficult ). Also make sure you fill up only with 93 octane or 91 octane fuel. There are few issues with 91 octane and ethanol blend in early models. The fuel pump makes a sound like the crickets(insect). Does not cause any harm except the sound.

My car seems to be running fine(touch wood) on 91 octane(highest we get in California), few have had problems with these crickets.
Old 18th September 2013, 07:46   #3170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Took it to Caleveras road in CA and had a great time there. Arroximately 12 miles of twists and turns and a good car to do this stint. Will post more regularly now on.

Thanks a lot to everyone here in the forum. Posts related to Insurance and buying guide helped me a lot.

Thanks,
Gautham
Congo on the new FTD car. Wish you many miles of fun.

I see you are in San Jose - me too (temp). We should meet up sometime soon. Look for a west coast meet thread in t-bhp meet section. Its been on hold for quite some time. We can do it this month or have a small unofficial get together. We can go on a run through the valley too sometime.

Quote:

TSX had great deals since this is the last model year.

Got an offer of 320 per month, taxes included - lease for 3 years, 10k miles per year. Down payment of 400.

Extra miles over 30K are charged 20c a mile. I thought I would buy miles if I need it.

Anyway this was my thought/ purchase process.
Congo on the new purchase. Its a great family car. Wish you many miles of fun. How is the warranty on that one?
Old 18th September 2013, 12:37   #3171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Congo on the new FTD car. Wish you many miles of fun.

I see you are in San Jose - me too (temp). We should meet up sometime soon. Look for a west coast meet thread in t-bhp meet section. Its been on hold for quite some time. We can do it this month or have a small unofficial get together. We can go on a run through the valley too sometime.

?
Chevelle, let me know how i can contact you. We can surely meet up sometime or we can have a event. I cant send you a PM, if you can send a PM to a newbie, please let me know how i can contact you. Thanks.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:41   #3172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Congrats the TSX is a nice car, did you get all the packages?
I went with the special edition. Which is just a base with some cosmetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

Congo on the new purchase. Its a great family car. Wish you many miles of fun. How is the warranty on that one?
I think it is 4 years 40k miles bumper to bumper & 6 years 60k miles powertrain.

Last edited by Jomz : 18th September 2013 at 15:47.
Old 18th September 2013, 18:32   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Got myself a subaru brz. Been about a month and half into the ownership and just love it.

Gautham
Kewl! good choice and congratulations!

Quote:
Between FR-S and BRZ, the choice was simple. This is my first car in USA and the better kit and interiors won me over. The dash has elements inspired by Nissan GTR (the HVAC controls etc on the limited trim in BRZ), also the inbuilt stereo and GPS on the brz.
This is subjective, but fair enough - you should get what you want.
However,.....

Quote:
And Scion as a company does not exactly have that great name in the tuner community.
Scion brand was introduced specifically with regard to letting new drivers customize their cars .... that is, in a way "tune". At SEMA, Scion is probably THE most popular tuning brand, every year!

As you say,

Quote:
Scion would have worked out cheaper. I was also offered a new grad discount.
And finally, coming to the tuning bit, welcome to the aftermarket community for more thrills and fun.

Quote:
Power Increase is on the cards. But not for a few thousand miles. The car does not feel slow. Compared to a camaro or mustang it does feel slow. But its more fun in the corners compared to them. At present, i feel that the car has enough power for my driving skills and my driving conditions. Once i feel more confident about the car's limits and my limits, i will consider the same.

Since you're in Cali, go to Vishnu Tuning in Bay Area. Shiv Pathak is THE man. Look at this photo from his FB ~
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1 - He sent out a request for any volunteer to bring an FR-S/BRZ for an ECU map reading and that many showed up. In an hour! Get a Vishnu tune when you're up for it - check out his 335i Stage 3 tune if you get a chance - makes 'em M3's look foolishly slow.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th September 2013 at 19:27. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post.
Old 18th September 2013, 18:59   #3174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
Snip
Another member from A2?! I have seen a car around here with a Team-BHP sticker. Is that yours?
Old 18th September 2013, 20:34   #3175
BHPian

Quote:
Another member from A2?! I have seen a car around here with a Team-BHP sticker. Is that yours?

His car is an Evo , I think.
Old 18th September 2013, 22:06   #3176
BHPian

Quote:
Nope - no stickers on any of my cars - same as no food nor drink and a lack of any other shit inside them

My cars are well known in Ann Arbor area - the only white Prelude and a white Evo 9 MR, so if you see me, give me a wave or come on up and chat.
Old 18th September 2013, 22:23   #3177
BHPian

Quote:
Nope - no stickers on any of my cars - same as no food nor drink and a lack of any other shit inside them

My cars are well known in Ann Arbor area - the only white Prelude and a white Evo 9 MR, so if you see me, give me a wave or come on up and chat.
Will do.

And likewise if you see a desi in a red Ford ZX2 or a grey BRZ, of course. I am usually around the North Campus area or in Kerrytown.
Old 18th September 2013, 23:06   #3178
BHPian

Quote:
Will do.

And likewise if you see a desi in a red Ford ZX2 or a grey BRZ, of course. I am usually around the North Campus area or in Kerrytown.
There's Ann Arbor Cars & Coffee at Sweetwaters on Plymouth every 2nd Sat of the month if you're interested - bring your car up sometime, else we can do Huron River Drive .

oh and Jomz as well as tanstaafl - you guys need to stop making excuses and get your cars to the track: season ending trackday for Greatlakes at - http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1579

I can give you guys discount cards too - but that'd have to be in person.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th September 2013 at 23:39. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 19th September 2013, 00:14   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
oh and Jomz as well as tanstaafl - you guys need to stop making excuses and get your cars to the track: season ending trackday for Greatlakes at - http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1579

I can give you guys discount cards too - but that'd have to be in person.
My s2k is sold. Now on a leased TSX. I went for a track alignment and found that all the adjustment bolts on the s2k are frozen by rust. The shop said that it looked like the caster and camber was never adjusted since it left the factory.

THe funny part is the underbody looked clean and there was not a speck of rust.

I will get back into a fun car soon, Hopefully.

Edit:- Putnam was close though.

Last edited by Jomz : 19th September 2013 at 00:21.
Old 19th September 2013, 00:36   #3180
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Got myself a subaru brz. Been about a month and half into the ownership and just love it.

Thanks,
Gautham
Congrats on the car, Gautham. From what I hear, it's sure sounds like a fun car. All the best with lots of fun twisties. Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks