Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2013, 18:43   #3136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
For the young and upcoming here, "I drink Limca because I like it" used to be a popular marketing tagline of the soft drink Limca, way back in time. I am not sure if the drink even exists now.
I still drink Limca because I like it, and maybe because it has "isotonic salts to quench your thirst".

Limca & Thums Up are commonly available in Indo-Pak-Bangla grocery stores.
Gold Spot was available till a few years ago too.
Old 13th September 2013, 18:57   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Brake fluid flush costs around $90.
Meaning brake fluid beeding? Still waay too early. Not sure about Merc but there are cars dont even have it on their service schedule.
Old 13th September 2013, 21:22   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Meaning brake fluid beeding? Still waay too early. Not sure about Merc but there are cars dont even have it on their service schedule.
I am not sure if brake fluid flush is on any car servicing schedule. However, there is not doubt that brake fluids must be flushed and replaced, preferably every two years, because of its hygroscopic nature, i.e., it will absorb moisture and the effectiveness will go down significantly if left unchanged, not to mention the chance of any metal components getting corroded. If you live in places with drier climate you can probably stretch it a bit, but for around $150, what exactly is the gain?

When it comes to cars, penny wise pound foolish is not the way to go.
Old 13th September 2013, 21:48   #3139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
Update: Picked up a 2013 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof and Navigation for 27000. Got 14000 for my 2012 Jetta SE manual as trade in.

Think I got a fair purchase price. What say guys?
Congratulations! Good choice. A TDI golf wagon (Jetta Wagon in US) is on my want list. The amount of driving I do doesn't justify it though.

And yes you are correct. Diesel is either at par or marginally cheaper than gasoline here in Canada.

Last edited by mohit : 13th September 2013 at 22:09.
Old 13th September 2013, 22:34   #3140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yep, bleeding brake-fluid. Sahil mentioned the car's around 3 years old, so I guessed it's about time for a change. Unless it was done within the first 2 years.
Old 13th September 2013, 22:41   #3141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
I am not sure if brake fluid flush is on any car servicing schedule. However, there is not doubt that brake fluids must be flushed and replaced, preferably every two years, because of its hygroscopic nature, i.e., it will absorb moisture and the effectiveness will go down significantly if left unchanged, not to mention the chance of any metal components getting corroded. If you live in places with drier climate you can probably stretch it a bit, but for around $150, what exactly is the gain?

When it comes to cars, penny wise pound foolish is not the way to go.
It is hygroscopic sure but a hydraulic brake system is fully sealed..unless you have a leak ....then you have much more severe problems.

Quote:
I am not sure if brake fluid flush is on any car servicing schedule.
If its so crucial, then why isn't it?

Last edited by Mpower : 13th September 2013 at 22:44.
Old 13th September 2013, 23:22   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
It is hygroscopic sure but a hydraulic brake system is fully sealed..unless you have a leak ....then you have much more severe problems.

If its so crucial, then why isn't it?
Unfortunately, a fully sealed system does not prevent moisture from being formed in the lines eventually from condensation due to natural temperature/humidity variations. It's true for all sealed systems including, air conditioning. Hence, the need to service a/c sooner or later.

Good question. I'm guessing because of the wide variations in climatic conditions of the places where cars are sold, how often the car is driven and the type of use, it's probably difficult to recommend one particular time interval for brake fluid replacement for all.

None of these changes the fact that it needs to be done. Just visually comparing a brake fluid sample that needs replacement to a new sample; old sample - kinda orangy (thats water), new one - colorless. Sedate drivers will probably never notice the difference until the fluid is really old. However, fast drivers will notice the longer stopping distance as time goes by, no doubt it.
Old 15th September 2013, 21:01   #3143
BHPian

If you renewed your licence in IN, you might get some Money :-).

http://www.indianabmvsettlement.com/...o.aspx?pas=wra

Waiting for my cheque. I'll get a refund & 30c.

Last edited by Jomz : 15th September 2013 at 21:05.
Old 15th September 2013, 22:18   #3144
BHPian

My current drive here in Phoenix, a Chevy Cruze. Color is the only thing working its favor, feels under powered and not confidence inspiring in the interstate driving, will be getting rid of this soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-image1626424985.jpg  

Old 15th September 2013, 23:28   #3145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
My current drive here in Phoenix, a Chevy Cruze. Color is the only thing working its favor, feels under powered and not confidence inspiring in the interstate driving, will be getting rid of this soon.
+1 to that. I have a Cruze as a rental and while it works for my daily in-city drives to work, the very lazy acceleration is not confidence inspiring on the interstates. Quite disappointing, i'll be changing it this week.
Old 16th September 2013, 20:28   #3146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
the very lazy acceleration is not confidence inspiring on the interstates
Cruze is now coming with its Diesel in 2014. Maybe its launched already! Every one was going gaga over the diesel engine worldwide for its High-End torque.
Old 16th September 2013, 22:09   #3147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Sedate drivers will probably never notice the difference until the fluid is really old. However, fast drivers will notice the longer stopping distance as time goes by, no doubt it.

Why would it increase stopping distance? It's still fluid that doesn't get compressed. The water has a detrimental effect on the brake system components. In theory you could replace the brake fluid with water, and it would work identically, just not for very long, because you'll end up with leaks and or stuck cylinders etc.

The only reason I can think of if there is so much water content in the brake fluid that the water molecules start boiling when the brakes start getting hot Then your brakes start fading. You would not just notice it, it would scare you s***less! Believe me, I had my brakes fading on me once, going downhill in Germany. Not an experience I would want to repeat.

Leaks and stuck bits will certainly be noticeable, but for every driver, not just the fast ones.

Note that miles driven with the car is not relevant for the condition of the brake fluid. It's time. Moisture absorption by the brake fluid is a function of time. Temperature does have some influence, but for practical purpose its time. (i.e. so many years)

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 22:51   #3148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Why would it increase stopping distance?
I would agree to this --- any incompressible fluid should work.

THe only way in which It would increase stopping distances is if master/ slave cylinders have a small leak which inturn does not transmit the complete braking force.

In other news, I leased a new 2013 Acura TSX on Saturday. The owners manual states to change brake fluid every 3 years irrespective of mileage, which is consistent with Jeroen's theory of hygroscopic nature of brake fluid.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 22:55   #3149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
THe only way in which It would increase stopping distances is if master/ slave cylinders have a small leak which inturn does not transmit the complete braking force.
Yes, correct, but in most cases I would think you would notice that even with normal braking as you will get leakage, or in case of internal leakage, you will notice that your brake pedal goes down further and maybe right down to the floor!

Jeroen
Old 16th September 2013, 23:03   #3150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Yes, correct, but in most cases I would think you would notice that even with normal braking as you will get leakage, or in case of internal leakage, you will notice that your brake pedal goes down further and maybe right down to the floor!

Jeroen
Seen that with clutches, But surprisingly not brakes.

EDIT :- Googed and found that it is common in brakes too. Don't want that feeling on a downhill .

Last edited by Jomz : 16th September 2013 at 23:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks