Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 11:44   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

First Impressions - 2013 Buick Verano

I had a Verano fully loaded version as a loaner vehicle when i gave my corvette in for service recently.

It probably was the base engine version. It was fully loaded though including BT, Nav, Leather seats and other stuff.

I drove it for around 200 miles, so my review won't be extensive and detailed but i have tried to cover all that i could think of. So here it goes.

- Looks:

Well, its a small car to compete with ILX i guess. It looks good. I won't term it as a looker but it not as bad as some cars in this segment. I like the front. The chrome brow at the rear looks bad. It needs to go pronto. The fog light surrounds that is chrome also needs to go. The car i had was dirty so please pardon the dirty exterior photos.

- Interior:

Once you get in, the quality of interior impresses. I don't like the beige seats as it would get dirty very fast. Been there done that. Hope they offer black interior as an option. It does feel airy with beige and big glasshouse.

The quality is good but don't dig the wood trims on door handles. They should have kept it brushed aluminum as other portion. Secondly, windows switch are badly placed. Lots of buttons and everything is confusing. Nav controls are good but the buttons are placed without any thought. I literally had to spend 2-3 minutes to go through all buttons and figure out what needs to be done. It was not easy but probably after familiarization it should be ok. The touch and UI of Nav was good. A few false touches but it was not as bad as one in Ford. The Nav was bright enough.

The engine start/stop button is very weirdly located and so is the button for cargo. Again the center stack is all buttons so it gets very confusing. The front row space is quite big. But the rear space is cramped for sure as seen in photo below. The front was very comfortable.

Now onto a few good things.

- This had blind spot monitor. Worked awesome. Helped me a lot in bad traffic in bay area.
- It had Bose sound system which was decent. As good if not better than my G35.
- Visibility is very good all around.
- No moonroof/sunroof.
- Had rear view camera. Again a very good to have feature.
- Good small storage spaces everywhere to put in stuff like mobile and stuff.
- Strictly a four seater.

- Drive:

So lets come to most important aspect of a car- How is to drive.

This is where everything goes downhill save for a couple of things. So here it goes.

The power is less. At 180hp, it is underpowered. Passing and merging needs an effort. The steering is hopeless. It has no feel, very light, no feedback at any speed and i am constantly correcting it. The steering is very vague. Man! I was glad to be back in my corvette.

The ride is comfortable. Provides very good ride quality but handling is compromised big time. It is a small boat on wheels. Understeer was easily noticeable. It can be pushed a little but too much and it will go crazy (Ask me how i know). The brakes were efficient.

The biggest positive of the Verano is its cabin. Good lord this is extremely silent. Its like a tomb in there. I loved it. No tire noise, no wind noise, nothing filters in. Excellent. I wish i had something like this in G35.

Overall, it is a pretty decent car. Just that i am not the right target for this car probably. May be they need to improve suspension a little to make it more effective. Else everything is good to go.

I can assure you though, compared to ILX, this is a very compelling option for someone who requires a good luxury compact sedan.

Sorry for long post. Had to pen all the thoughts that i had in mine while driving this.

A few photos to finish it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130805_183343.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130805_183325.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130805_183241.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130805_183333.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130805_183418.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130806_091140.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130806_091153.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130806_091201.jpg  

Last edited by chevelle : 8th August 2013 at 11:48.
chevelle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 20:26   #3032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
First Impressions - 2013 Buick Verano

The biggest positive of the Verano is its cabin. Good lord this is extremely silent. Its like a tomb in there. I loved it. No tire noise, no wind noise, nothing filters in. Excellent. I wish i had something like this in G35.

Overall, it is a pretty decent car. Just that i am not the right target for this car probably. May be they need to improve suspension a little to make it more effective. Else everything is good to go.
Great review. I too had experience with Verano during one of my rentals at Hertz. It is built on the Chevy Cruze platform and seems to have took some overall design cues from the Lacrosse model.

I too found it has an outstanding NVH levels, comparable or even better than some of the luxury sedans. In fact many reviewers use this car as the Gold standard for comparing NVH while reviewing luxury cars. I also found the seats to be very comfortable. Overall a great car to be inside, not necessarily driving or for external appearance. Some of the technologies behind the NVH control system is given in links below.

http://automotivetribune.com/?p=3806
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 22:26   #3033
BHPian

Anybody going for Moto Gp In Indianapolis this weekend?? I'm seriously thinking about going.
Old 15th August 2013, 00:18   #3034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
I am expecting the real life mileage to be around 15-17, will get to know in a few days.
It gave me an average mpg of 17 on my first tank up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Congrats on your truck! How are the interiors considering its age? Do share more pics man.
Thanks. Interiors are not bad, everything works but obviously is aged. Will share more pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Congrats Cyclops! Have your beast run through some Mud before the winters kick in!
Thanks. I am new to offroading, but will definitely interested. Need to find some like minded people in my area.
Old 15th August 2013, 03:30   #3035
BHPian

I currently own 2005 Toyota Camry and it's my work horse (Literally, I travel about 3000 Miles every month on work, you read it right!!)It's in a excellent condition and so far it has not thrown any tantrums on me yet.

When i bought it had 98K Miles,Currently the odo has ~140 K and this is where my dilema is ! Replace / continue to use ??

Should i buy a new / used / continue to use it ? Pour in your thoughts please !!
Old 15th August 2013, 19:02   #3036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
I currently own 2005 Toyota Camry and it's my work horse (Literally, I travel about 3000 Miles every month on work, you read it right!!)It's in a excellent condition and so far it has not thrown any tantrums on me yet.

When i bought it had 98K Miles,Currently the odo has ~140 K and this is where my dilema is ! Replace / continue to use ??

Should i buy a new / used / continue to use it ? Pour in your thoughts please !!
Well it depends on what you would prefer, go in for a new car or stick with this current one. It also depends on various other factors like your duration of stay here in US, what kind of budget you have etc..

I would probably replace it for a fairly newer model used car, get a more fun to drive car and enjoy the 3000 miles every month.

What kind off budget are you thinking?
Old 15th August 2013, 20:01   #3037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Well it depends on what you would prefer, go in for a new car or stick with this current one. It also depends on various other factors like your duration of stay here in US, what kind of budget you have etc..

I would probably replace it for a fairly newer model used car, get a more fun to drive car and enjoy the 3000 miles every month.

You say the car is in excellent condition and it serves your purpose. Financially speaking, it is a much better decision to continue using it. However as a gearhead, I might get a new one .

Anyway - sensible opinion from me - keep using your car till you think you cannot manage with that - too much expense on upkeep and maintenance. At that time go for a newer car.
Old 16th August 2013, 19:07   #3038
BHPian

Quote:

Straight answer: Continue using her till she dies, or, till you get utterly bored of her, or, till she begins making frequent visits to the doctor.

For a 2005 with 140K miles, you probably aren't expecting much by virtue of resale anyway. If you do end up buying a replacement vehicle, skin down the insurance on the Camry and keep her as a bench vehicle if you can afford to. You can later pass on the car to some worthy/needy person down the line within your family and friends circles. I have transferred (free or sold dirt cheap) a number of my used but functionally good cars within my acquaintances over the years and it is a bit more fulfilling than haggling with a dealer for a turn in price.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 16th August 2013 at 19:13.
Old 17th August 2013, 02:20   #3039
BHPian

Quote:

I am here until 2015 as of now, hoping that it would be even longer stint. Do you have any suggestion on Fun to drive car. I am actually thinking going hybrid because of the carbon footprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Anyway - sensible opinion from me - keep using your car till you think you cannot manage with that - too much expense on upkeep and maintenance. At that time go for a newer car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Straight answer: Continue using her till she dies, or, till you get utterly bored of her, or, till she begins making frequent visits to the doctor.
Agree, Just checked the KBB value and recent trade-in effort at a dealer proves a point to not sell.

On the other hand the discounts for Tier 1 supplier associates is ranging from 3-9 % apart from the dealer discounts, factory rebates etc., It is impossible to resist.
Old 17th August 2013, 03:22   #3040
BHPian

Pardon me for another Youtube on my current obsession, the Alfa 4c. I'll be doing this once in a while, I apologize for this inconvenience to all who has no interest in this topic. Just ignore and move on. The passenger by the way, I believe, is just a guy from the street having the most incredible day of his life.

All enthusiast drivers, please note the hand position on the steering, it's 9.15, it's much superior to 10.10. Also note, the hands almost never relinquish this position except on full steering rotations, which is not possible with the 10.10 position.

I'm hoping the first 4Cs to hit stateside pretty soon this year. Then an year for the convertibles to hit the road. Hopefully, most of the gremlins will be worked out by then. But then, we're talking Alfas, I don't think Alfas without gremlins exist, yet. The good thing is that, this will be made at the Maserati factory. I also hear that Maserati might make their own 4C version. More candy to taste. I'm pretty much at my tether end to get back into something Italian especially, after vacating my Duc 999.

Thanks for indulging me.

Last edited by VLOCT : 17th August 2013 at 03:24.
VLOCT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 03:58   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any suggestion on Fun to drive car. I am actually thinking going hybrid because of the carbon footprint.
Reduce carbon footprint and fun to drive? Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Pardon me for another Youtube on my current obsession, the Alfa 4c.

Nice one!
A really smooth drive!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 22:36   #3042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am here until 2015 as of now, hoping that it would be even longer stint. Do you have any suggestion on Fun to drive car. I am actually thinking going hybrid because of the carbon footprint.
Two options - Infiniti Q50 S Hybrid or Tesla Model S since you mentioned FTD.

No other Hybrid or full electric are FTD in market currently. You may as well consider Volt since it has a major price cut recently.

Another option is M35 Hybrid from used market. A great piece with a few drawbacks.

Go for diesel since your running is high. 2014 VW diesels have more power and FE now.
Old 19th August 2013, 23:38   #3043
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yea the only car that will reduce carbon footprint and is Fun to drive would be the Tesla.

But then if you have a 30k+ budget, I would suggest looking at 3 series or C class. But then with the amount of miles you will be putting on don't expect much of resale value after 2-3yrs. But the overall cost ownership will be worth it.
You can even look at Subaru Impreza or VW GLI. All depends on how much you are budget is
Old 20th August 2013, 00:38   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Nice one!
A really smooth drive!
Not gunning to be a next Tony Stark Sirjee ! As of now Tesla is only good enough for me to be a wall paper material. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Two options - Infiniti Q50 S Hybrid or Tesla Model S since you mentioned FTD.

No other Hybrid or full electric are FTD in market currently. You may as well consider Volt since it has a major price cut recently.

Another option is M35 Hybrid from used market. A great piece with a few drawbacks.

Go for diesel since your running is high. 2014 VW diesels have more power and FE now.
Diesels : Will definetly check it out. Just came to know that a Co-worker bought a new VW Jetta TDI SE.

Quote:
Yea the only car that will reduce carbon footprint and is Fun to drive would be the Tesla.

But then if you have a 30k+ budget, I would suggest looking at 3 series or C class. But then with the amount of miles you will be putting on don't expect much of resale value after 2-3yrs. But the overall cost ownership will be worth it.
You can even look at Subaru Impreza or VW GLI. All depends on how much you are budget is

Subaru Impreza or WRX : Checked with the dealer and they have only WRX STi in inventory and That's tad bit beyond my budget.

How about Ford Fusion Hybrid ? Does anyone here has owned / driven it ?
Old 20th August 2013, 01:01   #3045
BHPian

Quote:
How about Ford Fusion Hybrid ? Does anyone here has owned / driven it ?
Fusion hybrid has got rave reviews. A colleague owns C-Max hybrid and is quite happy with it. She gets between 40-42 mpg combined.
You can expect the same for Fusion hybrid. The new Fusion is quite a looker as well.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks