Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 05:45   #3001
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Additionally, aesthetics is paramount for me. I find the CX-9 to be one of the better looking SUVs. I do not understand the logic of designing automobiles that can run for 100,000 miles without needing anything, but looks like a duck or an oversized frog or, sometimes looks like it's designed by a 4-year old, eg; Ford Flex, Kia Soul, Honda Pilot, a box with 4 wheels. I remember drawing such things in kindergarten.

Hopefully, I've given a reasonable overview of CX-9. Good luck.
+1
I couldn't agree more.

I don't know for some reason he hadn't test driven a Mazda. May be the brand perception. I will ask him to take a look. Thank You.
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:13   #3002
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need some help!!

We need to get a family hauler (7 or 8 seater) and my wife is hell bent upon Toyota Siena for its space utilization. What else is there in the 25K price range (used) that will give the same amount of space as Siena? And be almost as reliable? The third row should seat two adults.
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:38   #3003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What else is there in the 25K price range (used) that will give the same amount of space as Siena? .
Odyssey? Seems to be a favorite here and there are 2010 model upwards in your price range.

Does this mean the Charger will go?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...rch=true&Log=0
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:44   #3004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Odyssey? Seems to be a favorite here and there are 2010 model upwards in your price range.

Does this mean the Charger will go?
I would like to avoid a minivan. Might consider a Town and Country but only if there is no SUV fit enough. Oh and she wants one with all the bells and whistles too.

Yeah most likely the Charger will need to go. I will have to drive around in a Ford Focus while i search for the second car. But there is time for that.
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:52   #3005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I need some help!!

We need to get a family hauler (7 or 8 seater) and my wife is hell bent upon Toyota Siena for its space utilization. What else is there in the 25K price range (used) that will give the same amount of space as Siena? And be almost as reliable? The third row should seat two adults.
The Chevy Traverse (and its GMC/Buick cousins)? The CX-9 is also a good option. The Honda Pilot is another favorite. Not sure if there are enough Infiniti JX's out in the used market yet. Most of these are around 40k new - so I guess for 25k you should be aiming at around 2009 - 10?

There are also a few BOF SUVs - The Tahoe being one. But perhaps a CUV is a better bet?
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:16   #3006

Quote:
I would like to avoid a minivan. Might consider a Town and Country but only if there is no SUV fit enough. Oh and she wants one with all the bells and whistles too.
The GMC Acadia/Lincoln Navigator are probably a few SUV's that can take care of the 3rd row seat comfort with reasonable reliability. However the utilizable trunk space is lower and then some gas guzzling. I am not sure how old they should be to fall in the 25K criteria

But if hauling 7-8 people is the criteria I believe the Minivans fit best here with higher comfort, available trunk space and composed ride. The Odyssey seems like a more polular and reliable choice.
abhishekdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:33   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
The Chevy Traverse (and its GMC/Buick cousins)
Chevy Traverse is a good option. Comes with lot of features.

Rented it during the July 4 weekend; except for the very light steering everything else is good.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:44   #3008
BHPian

Quote:

Yeah most likely the Charger will need to go. I will have to drive around in a Ford Focus while i search for the second car. But there is time for that.
You're letting go of the Charger for a minivan? That is really gonna prick!

What would the second car options be?
AbelAFC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:50   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I need some help!!

The new Ford explorers are in that price range (30k ish). I loved the dash, the touch screen interface and space.

And again, used Toyota Sequoia??It can seat 8 in some versions. That is built on the Tundra platform. A colleague has one. It has much better space than a MDX another co worker has.

I thought you wanted a Tundra sometime ago??
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:56   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to avoid a minivan. Might consider a Town and Country..
Well Town and Country is a mini-van though

Quote:
..The CX-9 is also a good option..
If you are trying CX-9 (Which does not really rank any high in the third-seat space.) You may wanna consider used Highlander/MDX/Pilot/Tribeca

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekdev View Post
But if hauling 7-8 people is the criteria I believe the Minivans fit best here with higher comfort, available trunk space and composed ride.
+1. I won't say about the composed ride, because they are basically people haulers. You have to limit yourself to the speed limit and do nothing fancy for the safety of you and your passengers.

My two cents :

1) Opt for less space in the third row seat and go with likes of Highlander/CX-9/Subaru Tribeca/Pilot/Explorer. You can go extra large by looking at Suburban/Toyota sequoia. I am not sure if these car have hit the used market and whether they fit in your range.

2) More space in third row = Mini Van. I haven't traveled that much in Honda but we had a Toyota sienna rental and it was extremely spacious. It is like a small house. Your passengers will not complain at all.

BTW, you will become a mere chauffeur and rest of the public will have fun in the car

Last edited by Fraz33r : 2nd August 2013 at 20:57. Reason: typo
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:58   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Chevy Traverse (and its GMC/Buick cousins)? The CX-9 is also a good option. The Honda Pilot is another favorite.

There are also a few BOF SUVs - The Tahoe being one. But perhaps a CUV is a better bet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekdev View Post
The GMC Acadia/Lincoln Navigator are probably a few SUV's that can take care of the 3rd row seat comfort with reasonable reliability. However the utilizable trunk space is lower and then some gas guzzling. I am not sure how old they should be to fall in the 25K criteria

But if hauling 7-8 people is the criteria I believe the Minivans fit best here with higher comfort, available trunk space and composed ride. The Odyssey seems like a more polular and reliable choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Chevy Traverse is a good option. Comes with lot of features.

Rented it during the July 4 weekend; except for the very light steering everything else is good.
Looking at the specs, none of them equal the cargo capacity of a minivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
You're letting go of the Charger for a minivan? That is really gonna prick!

What would the second car options be?
Well yeah it is going to hurt. But then what is the point of sticking to just one car in this car crazy country, right?
Besides, with a minivan in the garage, it opens up a lot of options for me. A coupe, a manual transmission, etc etc. Mileage wont be a concern either because the second car will rarely do long distance trips.
Old 2nd August 2013, 21:08   #3012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the specs, none of them equal the cargo capacity of a minivan
Of course, practicality, efficiency, comfort, space - on all these fronts - a minivan wins. It's just the "image" problem that they have that deters a lot of men to stay away.
Old 2nd August 2013, 21:16   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Besides, with a minivan in the garage, it opens up a lot of options for me. A coupe, a manual transmission, etc etc. Mileage wont be a concern either because the second car will rarely do long distance trips.
Bingo.

Now your options jump if you're willing to sample the fantastic used market. The reason I keep an SUV at home is just that. Keeps the madam happy with the family blah, blah. The 3rd seat takes care of large groups.

So, I get to play with my favorites, european and american 2-seaters. Why would I want anything more as a personal vehicle?

Something to think about. It truly is an opportunity to follow your heart.

Cheers.

Quote:
Of course, practicality, efficiency, comfort, space - on all these fronts - a minivan wins. It's just the "image" problem that they have that deters a lot of men to stay away.
It's more, driving a van is like driving a BUS. It's as much fun. It's a people mover, that's it. It will never be a personal vehicle that you'll turn back and look after you park it. That matters to a lot of people.

Last edited by VLOCT : 2nd August 2013 at 21:22.
Old 2nd August 2013, 21:19   #3014
BHPian

Quote:
Well yeah it is going to hurt. But then what is the point of sticking to just one car in this car crazy country, right?
Talk about blessings in disguise! You are one lucky guy! So will you go American or European?
AbelAFC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 21:30   #3015
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Chevvy Suburban has the Siena beat on the space front!
But what are the chances of finding one in the used car market that has not clocked 6 digit miles??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post

BTW, you will become a mere chauffeur and rest of the public will have fun in the car
That I already am. But with this one, I will put my foot down to put my feet up and let the wife do the driving. On second thought, that means I will be in charge of keeping the kids calm. Ugh. I just can't win!!

Quote:
Hehe. I also have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Bingo.

Now your options jump if you're willing to sample the fantastic used market. The reason I keep an SUV at home is just that. Keeps the madam happy with the family blah, blah. The 3rd seat takes care of large groups.

So, I get to play with my favorites, european and american 2-seaters. Why would I want anything more as a personal vehicle?

Something to think about. It truly is an opportunity to follow your heart.

Cheers.

It's more, driving a van is like driving a BUS. It's as much fun. It's a people mover, that's it. It will never be a personal vehicle that you'll turn back and look after you park it. That matters to a lot of people.
Well said.

I am so looking forward to getting on with the hunt for my car. Browsing craigslist and some forums looking for M3s, GT500s (seriously out of budget though), even XJRs has become my favorite timepass activity now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks