Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:21   #2866
Senior - BHPian

Route Query!

So, this 4th July weekend, I will be driving to Chincoteague Island, Virginia, from Nashua, New Hampshire.

On my way, there are some major traffic pains like NY, NJ and the final stretch of the road on the island itself.

Is there any way i can avoid "some" of this traffic? My constraints are:
1. Leaving at 1AM on 7/4 is not really an option with 2 small kids
2. The checkin time at the island is 4PM to 6PM

If there is no way out and I am indeed headed towards nightmare traffic, then please offer your full sympathies
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:51   #2867
BHPian

Re: Route Query!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So, this 4th July weekend, I will be driving to Chincoteague Island, Virginia, from Nashua, New Hampshire.

On my way, there are some major traffic pains like NY, NJ and the final stretch of the road on the island itself.

Is there any way i can avoid "some" of this traffic? My constraints are:
1. Leaving at 1AM on 7/4 is not really an option with 2 small kids
2. The checkin time at the island is 4PM to 6PM

If there is no way out and I am indeed headed towards nightmare traffic, then please offer your full sympathies
Amit: There are not many options except taking 90, 84, and NJTP (95). If you want to beat the traffic then start at a odd time but I know its not easy with 2 kids! If your check in is on 4th of July then you should be fine to start early in the morning since most of the traffic will be on 3rd evening!

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 2nd July 2013 at 21:53.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:22   #2868
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Six Flags query: Our group is planning on a Six Flags and Vegas this long weekend. Anyone has any tips to reduce waiting time in six flags? We are taking the fast pass but i doubt i will be able to digest all the crazy rides. Any suggestions on stuff to do and stuff to miss?

Crazyness level could be best said as average. Please advice.

Also looks like vegas is going to be packed this weekend. Show tickets were sold out and also the hotel rates were insane!
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:34   #2869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Amit: There are not many options except taking 90, 84, and NJTP (95).
I usually take the Merritt Parkway (CT-15) when going to NY. No trucks or buses are allowed on this route and its usually a smooth ride. And once when i went to NJ, i avoided the George Washington bridge by taking the Tappan Zee bridge. I am told GW is another bottleneck.

Its the drive after NY that is a bit of an unknown to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Also looks like vegas is going to be packed this weekend. Show tickets were sold out and also the hotel rates were insane!
People here plan their vacations months in advance! I started looking for a vacation home in the Chincoteague - Assateague area a month in advance and still found very limited choices!
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:05   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
I usually take the Merritt Parkway (CT-15) when going to NY. No trucks or buses are allowed on this route and its usually a smooth ride. And once when i went to NJ, i avoided the George Washington bridge by taking the Tappan Zee bridge. I am told GW is another bottleneck.

People here plan their vacations months in advance! I started looking for a vacation home in the Chincoteague - Assateague area a month in advance and still found very limited choices!
If you take Tappan Zee then you can proceed on GSP (Garden State Parkway) or take 287. It would be difficult to find a route like CR-15 in NJ
You can try 287 and go all the way to Edison and merge onto NJTP (Same with GSP). But eventually you have to merge onto 95 (NJTP). GSP and NJTP are toll roads but 287 is not!
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:40   #2871
BHPian

Quote:
Six Flags query: Our group is planning on a Six Flags and Vegas this long weekend. Anyone has any tips to reduce waiting time in six flags? We are taking the fast pass but i doubt i will be able to digest all the crazy rides. Any suggestions on stuff to do and stuff to miss?

Six Flags Magic Mountain?
Most of the popular rides will have long lines, unless you choose the Platinum flash pass. And you have to pay an extra $10-$15 for jumping the line for X2 ride alone.
If you like thrill rides its really hard to pick a ride but I wouldn't miss
X2, Goliath, Apocalpse, Tatsu
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:13   #2872
BHPian

Recently visited Sixflags america near chicago on weekday, Thinking that crowd will be less but, i was proved wrong. Had to wait 40-45 Minutes for each ride. As Kraft Wagen mentioned its hard to choose a favourite among the rides.

Last edited by Otomobil : 3rd July 2013 at 01:14.
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:35   #2873
Senior - BHPian

Yep Magic Mountain. Well we got the fast pass but am sure our team will be down after 4 rides the most. Just hope it doesnt get tiring like disney was as we were so dazed in the end of the day.

We did the room bookings 15 days in advance but we had to search a bit for a rental as we wanted a van. Hope LA traffic is bearable.
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:54   #2874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Merrit will be crowded as will be the Hutch.
Tappan Zee Br & GSP might not be a very good alternate route but worth taking a chance.

Another alternative is to continue on 84W, hit 684S & take 287W (Cross Westchester Expwy) to Sprain Brook Pkwy, Bronx River Pkwy to 87S (Major Deegan Expwy) & GWB.

If you decide to continue down on 95S & 91S instead, then US1 runs parallel all the way & you can avoid some jam spots by taking random detours. (95S will be pretty much jam packed though.)

If you want to avoid GWB, take the Cross Bronx Expwy to get onto 278 (Bruckner Expwy -> BQE). Follow this all the way to the Verrazano Br (expect traffic here). Then take 440S to the Outerbridge & merge onto NJTP. (Or follow 278 to the Goethal's Br & then merge onto NJTP but I wouldn't recommend it.)

Unfortunately, your only alternative to NJTP is taking a detour on 295 that runs parallel from exits 7 to 1. This might be less crowded.

Del-Mem-Br is a bottleneck on a good day.

After that you're on your own. I'm not familiar with the land East of the Cheasapeake Bay.

If you have (a lot of) time go further down on US13 to see the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel combo. I haven't seen it myself but I've heard it's worth seeing.

All these directions will be easy to follow on Google Maps.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd July 2013 at 18:56.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:18   #2875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Merrit will be crowded as will be the Hutch.
Tappan Zee Br & GSP might not be a very good alternate route but worth taking a chance.
My head is spinning from trying to follow all those suggestions on google maps

But I really appreciate the effort!

I think i should buy a good old school road atlas to guide me through the intricate maze that is the US highway/expressway system.

Anyway, for this trip, i am thinking of leaving as early as possible (4 AM is what the wifey has promised) and hope to beat NY traffic and some part of NJ traffic.

Btw, by the end of this trip, my car would have clocked 18K miles in just over an year!
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:39   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Yep Magic Mountain. Well we got the fast pass but am sure our team will be down after 4 rides the most. Just hope it doesnt get tiring like disney was as we were so dazed in the end of the day.

We did the room bookings 15 days in advance but we had to search a bit for a rental as we wanted a van. Hope LA traffic is bearable.
Are you driving into LA? Magic Mountain is just off 101 freeway which is usually crowded during peak hours and being holidays it will be crowded with crowd to and from Bay area.

Let me know if you need any help around or pointers to restaurants
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:58   #2877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My head is spinning from trying to follow all those suggestions on google maps

Anyway, for this trip, i am thinking of leaving as early as possible (4 AM is what the wifey has promised) and hope to beat NY traffic and some part of NJ
Lol, I'm sorry but I'm used travelling that stretch from MA to DC so I keep forgetting how daunting it can be. It takes time to get used to it.

Anyway, all the best & enjoy your trip!
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 22:40   #2878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Are you driving into LA?
Let me know if you need any help around or pointers to restaurants
Yeah driving into LA tonight. Any good places to eat and drink as we staying like 15 minutes away from Magic mountain. ALso any happening places round there?
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:01   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah driving into LA tonight. Any good places to eat and drink as we staying like 15 minutes away from Magic mountain. ALso any happening places round there?
Not much idea of places around Magic mountain area.
But depending on where you are coming from, The closest place that has some nice restaurants would be van Nuys or Burbank. Barneys Beanery, Gordon Biersch are nice spots in Burbank. And if you like Thai, try Kinnara thai.
There are few indian restaurants too, but none worth mentioning, but if your group needs Indian place try India's Tandoori in Burbank.
Old 6th July 2013, 08:50   #2880
BHPian

Hello folks, Need some technical advice.

A friend of mine just got the oil changed (from Valvoline) for her Honda Accord (2008, 94K miles). After driving for around 5 miles, the car seemed very sluggish and the revs refused to build up.
The car is rattling and feels strained when you pump the gas.

She is planning to tow it to Dealer/Valvoline first thing tomorrow.

Could you guys pls let me know on the basic things that she can get checked so that she doesnt get ripped off.

Thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks