Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 22:21   #2851
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The website says you dont need to take any additional insurance. They also provide theft, collision etc coverage.
Basically, the rate that you see on their website is what you pay.
I guess the the "Insurance policy" applies both to the car and the policy holder. Lets say I'm driving my friends car and I wreck it then if I've a Auto Insurance policy then it has to be covered under my policy. If I don't have one then my friend will be forced to add me as additionally insured on his policy by his Insurance company and of-course the penalties will follow by raising your premium later. Not sure if these rules are same for all the insurance companies.

In the above scenario, I would imagine that you can be a part of this club only if you have auto insurance policy on your name. But bottom line is, I would never let an unknown person drive my car.
Old 21st June 2013, 22:30   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Of course I'd never let any unknown person drive my car either. But then I'd probably take my second car for the next trip to the airport and leave it with them. At the very least, it is free parking even if no one rents your car. And if I am travelling alone, then i might consider renting a car from them as well!

But majority of folks out there see their cars as just another means of transport and would jump at the opportunity of making some money out of it.

There is a similar concept in renting out vacation homes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
In the above scenario, I would imagine that you can be a part of this club only if you have auto insurance policy on your name. But bottom line is, I would never let an unknown person drive my car.
Their website claims that the insurance cover that they provide supersedes and replaces the owner's insurance policy. That is, the cover they provide is primary for the owners and secondary for the renters. Found it here:
https://www.flightcar.com/insurance/

Last edited by amitoj : 21st June 2013 at 22:31.
Old 22nd June 2013, 03:19   #2853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Thanks Jomz

Thank you for Knocking some sense into my head..

To be frank - I was planning to sell the truck one or 2 years down the lane and go for a full blown SUV.

Is there anyway for me to get rid of the rusts cheaply? I hate it, its on floor boards, its on running boards, Its on the cab bed, Its on the bumper.
The short answer is NO. Rust repair is expensive because it involves a lot of labor and paint, and both are expensive.

I suggest evaluating and addressing rust as follows;

Floor pans - check to see if the rust is gone thru because, its a life safety issue since engine/exhaust gases can ingress into the passengar cabin. It needs to be fixed. Surface rust - clean/sand and spray it with off-the- shelf primer and paint or, better yet - buy a cheap set of carpets and hide it.

Frame Rust - same as above for deep rust, leave it for the surface rust.

Cosmetic - bumper, body panels - ignore and leave it. Some cosmetic chrome rusts can be cleaned up by 'chrome restore products' with some elbow grease.

I want to reiterate for people who are contemplating buying vehicles with a lot of rust; buy them only purely for having a 'runner', not for fixing and restoring unless, it's a classic and cost is 'no-bar'. For a runner, decent mechanical condition and livable interior should be the over-riding deciding factors in making the decision. You're obviously not trying to impress the Joneses with this purchase. Save your money for something nicer.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:21   #2854
BHPian

What are the must select and not required options while choosing a Motorcycle license?

I chose the below not sure if its correct

Bodily Injury & Property Damage:$15k person/ $30k accident/ $5k property
Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $15k person/ $30k accident
Comprehensive: $500 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Accessory coverage:$3000
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 02:00   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
What are the must select and not required options while choosing a Motorcycle license?
Aha, my boy
I chose identical ones as well.

Which bike did you choose finally?

Edit - Regarding the rusting - seeing how upset i was with it, previous owner has agreed to take care of it for me , The truck would be out of action for another 2 weeks.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 24th June 2013 at 02:01.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 07:04   #2856
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

I chose the below not sure if its correct

Bodily Injury & Property Damage:$15k person/ $30k accident/ $5k property
Are those the minimum coverages required by your state?

They're good for reducing premium but if you're ever sued, especially for an at-fault accident those coverages won't really help.

Select the maximum liability limits that you can afford.

If you have a really old motorcycle, you don't need the Comp/Coll coverages.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 08:59   #2857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Are those the minimum coverages required by your state?

They're good for reducing premium but if you're ever sued, especially for an at-fault accident those coverages won't really help.

Select the maximum liability limits that you can afford.

If you have a really old motorcycle, you don't need the Comp/Coll coverages.
Its a 09 bike hence opted for comprehensive. I'm assuming these are minimum cuz the list starts with these numbers. Let me bump the Liability, I'm sure its not going to make a huge difference. Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 08:22   #2858
Senior - BHPian

Well i faced an issue recently. I have a 2012 genesis coupe and we were out in frnds on friday till 3 and on saturday at around 11 i went to my car. The keys didnt click so i thought the batteries on my keys may be low. I had to use my key to open the door. Sat in the car and put the key in and no it didnt start.

My Battery was dead! Had to call the service center for a jump. He mentioned 2 yrs is standard for a battery. I live in az with 105 being normal weather right now. Any comments on what i should do. I was planning on dropping my car in for the 22k service so i wanted your comments on the battery before i do and get conned.
Old 27th June 2013, 17:17   #2859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

My Battery was dead! Had to call the service center for a jump. He mentioned 2 yrs is standard for a battery. I live in az with 105 being normal weather right now. Any comments on what i should do. I was planning on dropping my car in for the 22k service so i wanted your comments on the battery before i do and get conned.
2 years is not really standard for batteries, is it? On an average it is more like 3 or 4 years. But I don't think even with the heat in AZ that the life shrinks to 2 years that easily. It is not technically impossible though.
Old 27th June 2013, 18:58   #2860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any comments on what i should do. I was planning on dropping my car in for the 22k service so i wanted your comments on the battery before i do and get conned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil
2 years is not really standard for batteries, is it?
Yes, a car battery should last @ 4 years on average.

maddy42, if your car is not driven for extended periods, or if you have a very shory commute then it might just be dead from insufficient charge.

Heat does affect battery life so its not impossible for the battery to die out sooner but it's rare for a newer car.
The gel-type batteries should last a little longer.

My original car battery is now almost 6 years old and still holds a strong charge but then my car had been run daily for long distances, since new.

Any electronics that might be draining? E.g. running ICE with engine off, aftermarket accessories, etc.?
Old 27th June 2013, 21:04   #2861
BHPian

Quote:
Well i faced an issue recently. I have a 2012 genesis coupe and we were out in frnds on friday till 3 and on saturday at around 11 i went to my car. The keys didnt click so i thought the batteries on my keys may be low. I had to use my key to open the door. Sat in the car and put the key in and no it didnt start.

Could it be an interior light that was left on?

Batteries do have warranties - if its indeed the battery not holding charge, you can talk to the dealer to see how much a replacement will cost. Do not let them put it in and charge you the labour, its a simple 10 min job that you should be able to do yourself.

Alternately, write to Hyundai USA and complain that you had faith in the product and it let you down and left you in a dangerous situation. I'd so this - even if you get a new battery, ask Hyundai for reimbursement.
Old 27th June 2013, 22:26   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Could it be an interior light that was left on?

Batteries do have warranties - if its indeed the battery not holding charge, you can talk to the dealer to see how much a replacement will cost. Do not let them put it in and charge you the labour, its a simple 10 min job that you should be able to do yourself.

Alternately, write to Hyundai USA and complain that you had faith in the product and it let you down and left you in a dangerous situation. I'd so this - even if you get a new battery, ask Hyundai for reimbursement.
Mohit: Your guess could be right!

Maddy: Sometimes the interior lights are tricky in some cars, which don't switch off immediately light old cars and your friends might have switched it on without your knowledge.

I had the same situation multiple times when my wife used to sit in the back with my daughter when she was a year old, always used to switch on the rear light and forget to switch it off when getting out. First instance, I could jump start the battery with my other car; Second instance, I had to call the towing truck since the battery was way too dead. This happened 4 times. Once on a long trip, I was at a rest area to quickly grab a water bottle from the store and forgot to switch off the headlights, the battery was dead by the time I was out; it was hardly a minute. That's when I figured the batter life has drastically gone down. I went to the Acura dealer and they were kind enough to replace it with original battery, free of cost.

Ask Hyundai dealer to replace the battery for free and if they don't then write to Hyundai as Mohit suggested!

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 27th June 2013 at 22:27.
Old 27th June 2013, 22:53   #2863
BHPian

Quote:

2 yrs is definitely not the standard life, Its more like 4.

I would do a check with a multimeter(costs around$10) to see if the battery is dead or ask Hyundai service center to give you the readings.

If the batter is no good, get a battery from one of the auto stores or sears and replace it yourself this will be much cheaper than the service center guys.

From eHow.com
Quote:
- Disconnect the car battery, Connect the voltmeter, If your battery is charging properly, it should read between 12.6 and 12.8 volts. Anything under 10 indicates that your battery needs to be charged.
- Reconnect the battery, positive terminal first, then start the car. With the vehicle idling, check the voltage again. If it is above 14 volts, the system is charging properly. If it is below 12 volts, your charging system may be at fault. This can mean either that the battery needs replaced or you have a problem with your alternator.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 27th June 2013 at 22:57. Reason: adding ehow
Old 27th June 2013, 22:59   #2864
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all of you. I will follow what you mentioned and have a look. I usually do just small drives on that particular day had 4 or 5 mini drives within 6 miles each. Also dropped my friend off who might have left the door open.

Will check at auto zone as i dont trust the dealership way too much.
Old 28th June 2013, 04:57   #2865
BHPian

2014 Mazda3 revealed. Yay!

Here is the link - http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...n=awdailydrive

The new model is feature rich and follows Mazda's Kodo design. Now waiting for the test drive reviews.

I'd seriously consider trading my 2006 Mazda3 with the new model if the reviews are good (it should be). Wish they launch the 2.2 diesel version as well.

-- Jose

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks