Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 23:41   #2836
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
off road - yes. Regular and off road - no.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-sid...zrxp900wlintro
I dont think thats what people want from a Thar like vehicle. They want an offroad vehicle that runs on road too.
Btw, i am partial to this one
http://www.atv.com/specs/john-deere/...50i-sport.html
Old 20th June 2013, 23:45   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I dont think thats what people want from a Thar like vehicle. They want an offroad vehicle that runs on road too.
Btw, i am partial to this one
http://www.atv.com/specs/john-deere/...50i-sport.html
If you compare Thar to a base wrangler, Thar somehow is not that bad a value after all. Agreed that wrangler will be much better put together but its 5K more to start with.

yeah these ATVs are fun but then you need a trailer just to get them where you want to have fun.
Old 21st June 2013, 00:17   #2838
Senior - BHPian

I think the reason they claim it is expy is as you get other products from the same company for cheaper. Bolero is cheaper and more reliable, Thars more dish dash kinda job.

Wrangler is expy but anyone has an idea on hows the quality of the product? And reliability?
Old 21st June 2013, 00:23   #2839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
If you compare Thar to a base wrangler, Thar somehow is not that bad a value after all. Agreed that wrangler will be much better put together but its 5K more to start with.

yeah these ATVs are fun but then you need a trailer just to get them where you want to have fun.
Yeah those ATVs sure look fun. You can always rent one if you don't want to buy one. Right?

As for Thar vs Wrangler, I am assuming the extra 5K is what goes into it being well put together. Anyway, Mahindra certainly seems to have missed a trick or two there in bringing out a truly capable offroader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I think the reason they claim it is expy is as you get other products from the same company for cheaper. Bolero is cheaper and more reliable, Thars more dish dash kinda job.

Wrangler is expy but anyone has an idea on hows the quality of the product? And reliability?
Well, I am somewhat confused about what the critics of Thar really want from it. But it is unforgivable for Mahindra to be confused about it too!!

Last edited by amitoj : 21st June 2013 at 00:26.
Old 21st June 2013, 02:36   #2840
BHPian

Back in 2006, I bought my first car in US and registered it withuot a US license. I had an SSN and proof of address though. Also got insurance on my Indian license. It was in the state of Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
My sis has been told that she needs a US license to buy a Subaru, that's the dealership policy, what's the truth in something like this? Amongst the Forester that she's been able to test drive, sadly all are out of the budget.
Old 21st June 2013, 02:59   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Back in 2006, I bought my first car in US and registered it withuot a US license. I had an SSN and proof of address though. Also got insurance on my Indian license. It was in the state of Indiana.
No restriction in California either. You can buy and register a car as long as you have SSN. When I bought and registered my Elantra, I didn't have CA license.
Old 21st June 2013, 18:17   #2842
BHPian

This is a bit off topic - I have a couple of questions.

A bit of background - The rust in my truck is driving me nuts, its everywhere.
I want to do complete rust removal and repaint the whole truck. I have been researching over the past two weeks and quoted figures are between 1500-2000$.

a) Is this acceptable or do i need to look at different options?
b) If I am going ahead with this, I want to change the color to the 2013 F150 SVT White shade, so can I go ahead or Do I need to get RTO equivalent approvals here?

Old 21st June 2013, 20:11   #2843
BHPian

$1500-2000 is on the lower side for a complete repaint.

Once they remove the parts, They will find places where rust has to be treated... Sanded down and Put some bondo/ primer.

If there are rust holes, Probabaly they need to weld material on the hole, then grind it down to a flat surface and paint. One hole repair would cost around 500-700.

Long story short, If you get for $2000, go for it. I believe for $2000 what you might get is just an external respray. The engine bay & door jambs might be of a different color.

Sources:- Quotes in 2008 for fixing rust holes in my 91 Accord. Quote for a friend who has a rusted through 81 240/280Z. The 280z is so bad that the floorboards were falling off.

There is no BMV endorsment required ( In Indiana, KY should be similar). Next time when you go for plate renewal they might note the current color.

Edit:-
Found this on a Civic forum
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/insid...ally-cost.html

Last edited by Jomz : 21st June 2013 at 20:17.
Jomz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 21:08   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
This is a bit off topic - I have a couple of questions.

A bit of background - The rust in my truck is driving me nuts, its everywhere.
I want to do complete rust removal and repaint the whole truck. I have been researching over the past two weeks and quoted figures are between 1500-2000$.

a) Is this acceptable or do i need to look at different options?
b) If I am going ahead with this, I want to change the color to the 2013 F150 SVT White shade, so can I go ahead or Do I need to get RTO equivalent approvals here?

How long do you intend to keep the truck? I would be very careful throwing money at this. Depending on the extent of rust, you're probably going to end up spending much more than $2000. If you intend to keep it for at least 5 years, it' s probably worth it. No matter what, understand you'll not get this money back.

Please make your decision wisely. You're much better off, by selling it and putting that money on to a better truck.
Old 21st June 2013, 21:09   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys heard of FlightCar car rentals? They operate largely out of SFO and have a minor presence at Boston Logan airport. Their concept is quite unique in terms of car rentals. They rent cars that have been listed by owners who are flying out. The owners dont have to pay parking, they get a free car wash and a cut in the rent! Renters in turn get cars on really cheap rent. I just checked and found i could rent a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 38 USD per day from Logan airport! Enterprise lists similar car at 100 USD per day!
Here is a link about them:
http://news.yahoo.com/rental-car-co-...RR2xkAzQzQtDMD

And this is their website
https://www.flightcar.com
Old 21st June 2013, 21:17   #2846
BHPian

Thanks Jomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
How long do you intend to keep the truck? I would be very careful throwing money at this. .
Thank you for Knocking some sense into my head..

To be frank - I was planning to sell the truck one or 2 years down the lane and go for a full blown SUV.

Is there anyway for me to get rid of the rusts cheaply? I hate it, its on floor boards, its on running boards, Its on the cab bed, Its on the bumper.
Old 21st June 2013, 21:50   #2847
BHPian

If it is just surface rust, sand it off and apply some touch up paint.

Try getting a bedliner for the cab bed.
Can probabaly get a new/junkyard bumper.
Floorboards... Hmm new carpets??

Some pictures of the rust would help.

Last edited by Jomz : 21st June 2013 at 21:53.
Jomz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 21:58   #2848
BHPian

Quote:
Have you guys heard of FlightCar car rentals? They operate largely out of SFO and have a minor presence at Boston Logan airport. Their concept is quite unique in terms of car rentals. They rent cars that have been listed by owners who are flying out. The owners dont have to pay parking, they get a free car wash and a cut in the rent! Renters in turn get cars on really cheap rent. I just checked and found i could rent a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 38 USD per day from Logan airport! Enterprise lists similar car at 100 USD per day!

Read this article few days back, And it's an interesting business model, Will have to wait and watch how it can come out of the legal tangle.
Wonder how the insurance would work in this case ? Do you have to buy an additional insurance when you rent the car ? what happens if the car is wrecked or totalled ?

Last edited by Otomobil : 21st June 2013 at 22:06.
Old 21st June 2013, 22:11   #2849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
Wonder how the insurance would work in this case ? Do you have to buy an additional insurance when you rent the car ? what happens if the car is wrecked or totalled ?
The website says you dont need to take any additional insurance. They also provide theft, collision etc coverage.
Basically, the rate that you see on their website is what you pay.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 22:20   #2850
BHPian

Quote:

Keep hearing about thier ads on radio. Looks like a unique concept. I wouldn't want to give my car for renting that way though. On the radio they say that the car is covered by a million dollar insurance.

Most Viewed