Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 21:03   #2806
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I don't think a sporty looking Corolla will lack reliability!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Can't help but ask. Where will the non sporty average buyer who bought a corolla or a civic simply for reliable, affordable transportation go now?

Or has the average non sporty buyer turned into the opposite?
Old 16th June 2013, 11:03   #2807
Senior - BHPian

Is there a thread for team-BHPians in North America? I'm moving to Tallahassee , Florida for my studies and would like to get to know people around there in advance, so I could get a few pointers.
Thanks in advance,
Shamik
Old 16th June 2013, 19:58   #2808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Can't help but ask. Where will the non sporty average buyer who bought a corolla or a civic simply for reliable, affordable transportation go now?

Or has the average non sporty buyer turned into the opposite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I don't think a sporty looking Corolla will lack reliability!
But a sporty Corolla will mean less profits for Toyota - if they have to fit it in the general price range and yet add sportier suspension/engine components and build to a higher cost. So if the market doesn't need it, why make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
Is there a thread for team-BHPians in North America? I'm moving to Tallahassee , Florida for my studies and would like to get to know people around there in advance, so I could get a few pointers.
Thanks in advance,
Shamik
You are in the right thread already. Welcome to this side of the world! I'm not sure if there is anybody in Florida, a lot of us are concentrated near the larger metros of the US.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:54   #2809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
But a sporty Corolla will mean less profits for Toyota - if they have to fit it in the general price range and yet add sportier suspension/engine components and build to a higher cost. So if the market doesn't need it, why make it?
I don't think Sporty looking means actually Sporty

They have had sports variant with just body moldings & stickers before too for Corolla.

See the people who buy Corolla for its simplicity buy it because they don't want to spend extra for something jazz but if they get the Jazz & same reliability in same price range as before, I think very few would mind it
Old 17th June 2013, 21:19   #2810
BHPian

I guess Toyota makes a clear distinction amongst buyer segments unlike Honda.
Soft family cars - Corolla , Camry.
Sporty: FR-S (OK its a scion but you get the picture).

Honda on the other hand tries to infuse some life into both Civic (Si Coupe and Sedan) and Accord (Sport) to appeal to buyers who want a proper four door sedan with some fun to drive quotient.
Old 17th June 2013, 23:25   #2811
Senior - BHPian

How does a Nissan Rogue (2010) with 30k miles on odo sound at 17k? There's another 4 years of warranty left or 70k miles (whichever is earlier).

My sister went out for a car hunt in Allentown (PA) but Toyota's RAV4, the only other popular SUV as per kbb.com, was not very fun to drive.

Any pros/cons of Nissan Rogue? Any other SUVs that she should look out for? She wishes to finalize the deal tomorrow or day after max.
Old 18th June 2013, 00:01   #2812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
How does a Nissan Rogue (2010) with 30k miles on odo sound at 17k? There's another 4 years of warranty left or 70k miles (whichever is earlier).

My sister went out for a car hunt in Allentown (PA) but Toyota's RAV4, the only other popular SUV as per kbb.com, was not very fun to drive.

Any pros/cons of Nissan Rogue? Any other SUVs that she should look out for? She wishes to finalize the deal tomorrow or day after max.
The Nissan Rogue may not be bad in isolation - but in that segment the other contenders are much better - that is my impression. I have felt that the Rogue is a little smaller as compared to CR-V/RAV-4/Forester/Equinox. Also, the CVT implementation on the Rogue is probably not amongst the better ones from Nissan. But one thing is that it handles and drives well. Perhaps that is what your sister felt too. Interiors are also much better than a RAV-4 for eg. Also, if all weather traction is very very important - nothing beats the Subies.

PS: I picked a Forester after comparing it to a Rogue a year and half back.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 06:35   #2813
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a '09 rogue SL AWD with 33k on the odo last year and the ownership experience has been pretty good so far. I didnt bother about RAV4 and CRV much due to their price, and the only other contender was Ford Escape. I chose the Nissan over the ford because of the interior quality, fit and finish.

As Vineet mentioned above, the CVT isnt the best implementation around, but it isnt too bad either. You get the hang of it as you get used to it (still frustrating) but it doesnt feel wanting for power when it gets going.I get an average of around 22 mpg in city (NC - not too heavy traffic) which is pretty OK for the segment and maintanence charges have been very reasonable so far. For some reason, Nissan recommends a 3750 miles oil change interval though which i dont really adhere to - but thats your choice.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, but it is definitely more FTD compared to the honda and toyota and isnt as expensive as comparable models. AC is a chiller (I miss it in my other car - VW Jetta), and steering is well weighed and pleasure to use.

Quote:

Last edited by bala80 : 18th June 2013 at 06:37.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 23:20   #2814
Senior - BHPian

One of the dealers that my sis went to was highly praising the Forester that we was driving before planning to certify it a few days/weeks later.

This has got us thinking whether Forester is that better than Rogue. However, a 2009 Forester with 30k on the odo is $19k onwards whereas similar mileage Rogue is going to cost $16.5-17k.

Is it worth putting in an extra $2-3k for a Forester against the S variant of Rogue?

They would hold on to the SUV for at least 2.5 to 3 years there so considering this kind of time, what should one choose - a Rogue or a Forester. They don't plan on driving in extreme weather conditions, neither any off-roading. The requirement would be a reliable SUV which they can use to drive out 200-300 miles every weekend, helps them in get huge boxes from shopping malls home and something that drives well. Better safety features would definitely be a plus.
Old 18th June 2013, 23:34   #2815
BHPian

Quote:

I have driven Nissan Rogue quiet a few times as a rental. I am very impressed with the car because of its handling, suspension, power, brakes.
The ride was also very silent and the stock music system is also good.
Lots of boot space as well.
athanedar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 23:51   #2816
BHPian

Quote:
One of the dealers that my sis went to was highly praising the Forester that we was driving before planning to certify it a few days/weeks later.

This has got us thinking whether Forester is that better than Rogue. However, a 2009 Forester with 30k on the odo is $19k onwards whereas similar mileage Rogue is going to cost $16.5-17k.

Is it worth putting in an extra $2-3k for a Forester against the S variant of Rogue?

They would hold on to the SUV for at least 2.5 to 3 years there so considering this kind of time, what should one choose - a Rogue or a Forester. They don't plan on driving in extreme weather conditions, neither any off-roading. The requirement would be a reliable SUV which they can use to drive out 200-300 miles every weekend, helps them in get huge boxes from shopping malls home and something that drives well. Better safety features would definitely be a plus.
I know its not a true blue SUV but have they looked at the Toyota Venza? If they want a simple A-B transport with loads of space, it just might work. Its not as tall as a SUV but is definitely longer than one.

They should be able to get a 2009-2010 in their budget.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 00:26   #2817
BHPian

Quote:

Does your sister have kids? If they are stuck to SUV then Honda pilot might be a good option; its 4WD and can be used only if needed. 09-10 will set you back for around 20K. Since you mentioned "huge boxes", they can also look for minivan like Honda Odyssey's which are mom's favorite for sliding doors and huge storage space.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 01:50   #2818
BHPian

Quote:

Food for thought.

Some surprising results here (although this is an old report, the vehicles in them would probably be the the ones in your frame of reference w.r.t. age and budget) --> http://ask.cars.com/2012/01/should-i...-forester.html

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/com...k_suv_shootout

Some more to chew on:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

http://iguida.com/2011-comparison-rogue-tucson-forester
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 07:52   #2819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
TESLA to me is a no brainer for anyone looking for a luxury car.
I think you'll like this review -> Our Tesla Model S
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 11:26   #2820
Senior - BHPian

I looked at a couple of 2009-10 Forester models online, ranging between 18k to 21k, and the list of features (both safety and comfort/convenience) are way above what are listed against the Rogue.

Having read a lot of reviews yesterday night I reckon that Forester might be the way to go. Almost all reviews have put this as a winner hands down. I've shared this thread as well as other review links with my sister, along with a recommendation of mine to go for a certified Forester.

Now what she needs to evaluate is the warranty she'd be getting on the Forester as against the Rogue, extra features for 2-3k premium (the one for 19k had traction control, 4+ airbags, ABS, brake assist, electronic stability and what not) and how the Forester is overall to drive against the Rogue.

Will keep you all posted.

Most Viewed