Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 22:34   #2791
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
How'd you like Iowa? I have a couple of friends who moved there a year or so ago around Cedar Rapids.
Its slow compared to NY/NJ but people are very nice around here. I'm in Iowa city area. Cedar Rapids is around 20 miles from here and we go there quite often for selective shopping like Toysrus (for kids). There are no good Indian restaurants, all are Americanized

Are your friend's BHPians? I can meet them if they like hanging out

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 13th June 2013 at 22:36.
Old 13th June 2013, 22:43   #2792
BHPian

I'm always surprised as to how exactly do studies like this one get funded:

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/06/aud...-cheat-on.html

The last sentence in the write up takes the cake...so each year we have a new adulterous vehicle make it seems
NinadJoshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 23:51   #2793
Senior - BHPian

Vineeth,

Looks like i was correct in saying that CTS-V will have a turbo v6.

Today, CTS price was announced and the 420HP Twin Turbo v6 will cost an astonishing $59995. That is some price for CTS VSport.

I wonder how much will be the V8 in CTSV.

The CTS itself will start at $46k.

Crazy crazy pricing! Looks like it will be out of my reach even after 2-3 years. Their goes my dream of owning CTS-V down the drain

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ort-from-59995

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Rumors are new CTSV will have turbo v6 and supercharged v8. That would be interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
The ATS-V is expected to have a twin turbo v6 and the CTS-V is expected to have a supercharged v8. The new RWD Cadillac flagship will have a twin turbo v8. Looking forward to checking these cars out when they hit the dealerships!
Quote:
I stand corrected. The bad thing is, when new, they will be out of my budget. So will have to wait additional 2-3 yrs. They will mostly put the LT1 supercharged or twin turbo'ed on CTS-V which will be same as Z07 or C7 ZR1.
Old 13th June 2013, 23:54   #2794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vineeth,

Looks like i was correct in saying that CTS-V will have a turbo v6.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ort-from-59995
They haven't yet announced the price of the new CTS-V right? This one that they announced is the V Sport package - I guess similar to M sport package - and this car probably is lined up in comparison with the 550i - the 400 bhp twin turbo v8.

I guess the new CTS-V will be 80k. You should just get the pre owned current gen CTS-V. It probably already has all the power you want anyway!
Old 14th June 2013, 00:00   #2795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They haven't yet announced the price of the new CTS-V right? This one that they announced is the V Sport package - I guess similar to M sport package - and this car probably is lined up in comparison with the 550i - the 400 bhp twin turbo v8.

I guess the new CTS-V will be 80k. You should just get the pre owned current gen CTS-V. It probably already has all the power you want anyway!
It is not CTS-V. It is reserved for the more powerful supercharged v8 possibly from ZR-1 or something. This is VSport, with a twin turbo v6. And yes, pricing was announced today for regular CTS and CTS-VSport.

The rumors were right. It was supposed to be VSport and V for CTS. It will be the same for ATS.

It is not a package from the way it is described. It looks like a different version of CTS. Just like C6, Z06, GS and ZR1. Similarly it will be CTS, CTS-VSport, CTS-V. That's what i think from the article. If it was a package, they won't mention it separately.

Edit: From another article linked at the bottom, it looks like VSport will be the top end model with 420hp. So it will be 3 versions - 272 hp from turbo 4, 3.6 v6 rated at 321 hp and 3.6 v6 twin turbo rates at 420 hp. They haven't mentioned if there will be another V for CTS.

The Vsport include 18-inch alloy wheels wrapped in Pirelli tires, with an optional 19-inch upgrade; a quicker steering ratio; Brembo disc brakes; a heavy-duty track cooling package; driver-selectable track mode with unique steering and Magnetic Ride Control calibrations; and an electronic limited-slip differential.

Here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...r-more-refined

Last edited by chevelle : 14th June 2013 at 00:04.
Old 14th June 2013, 00:05   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not CTS-V. It is reserved for the more powerful supercharged v8 possibly from ZR-1 or something. This is VSport, with a twin turbo v6. And yes, pricing was announced today for regular CTS and CTS-VSport.

The rumors were right. It was supposed to be VSport and V for CTS. It will be the same for ATS.

It is not a package from the way it is described. It looks like a different version of CTS. Just like C6, Z06, GS and ZR1. Similarly it will be CTS, CTS-VSport, CTS-V. That's what i think from the article. If it was a package, they won't mention it separately.
Ok, I guess I get it better now.
The base CTS will fight the 528i and 535i.
The VSport will be up against the 550i.
The CTS-V will fight the M5.

Earlier the CTS had a big price advantage on its German competition. I don't think that is true anymore. The price differences are more in 2-3k$ range. For someone buying a 50k car, 52k will not really break the bank. You really have to be convinced that you want to buy a Cadillac. There is no more "Deal" in the CTS. Of course, if Cadillac thinks this car is as good as the German competition, then they should price also similar. Given what I have heard/read/seen about the ATS and its platform, I guess this car also should be right up there with the best in the world in terms of drivetrain, refinement, performance etc. I don't know if in cabin wizardry and electronics etc are also competitive. Will wait and watch.
Old 14th June 2013, 00:33   #2797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Earlier the CTS had a big price advantage on its German competition. I don't think that is true anymore. The price differences are more in 2-3k$ range. For someone buying a 50k car, 52k will not really break the bank. You really have to be convinced that you want to buy a Cadillac. There is no more "Deal" in the CTS. Of course, if Cadillac thinks this car is as good as the German competition, then they should price also similar. Given what I have heard/read/seen about the ATS and its platform, I guess this car also should be right up there with the best in the world in terms of drivetrain, refinement, performance etc. I don't know if in cabin wizardry and electronics etc are also competitive. Will wait and watch.
As far as price goes, for the base model, the CTS' $46,025 base price is $1,800 lower than the 2013 5-Series Sedan's; $5,875 lower than the 2013 E-Class Sedan's; and $3,825 more than the 2013 A6 Sedan's starting price.

But, if we look at the how CTS is build, 2014 CTS weighs ~200 pounds less than the 2013 BMW 528i (according to Cadillac) at 3,616 pounds and it's more than 250 pounds lighter than the last CTS.

That lighter weight is distributed evenly front-to-rear, with a 50.1/49.9% weight balance. Better front-rear weight bias than the 2013 Chevy Corvette Grand Sport's 51/49% distribution.

The 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport have just 8.6 pounds/hp. That's just one more than the 436-horsepower 2013 Chevy Corvette Grand Sport.

So the way it is built, i think its gonna be an interesting fight with 5 and E. Exciting time ahead for this segment.

As for asking price, if the product is just as good as others, i don't see why it should have problem selling at the said price. Obviously, from what i have seen, it is mostly lease so it should find some easy takers who stress on buying only American made cars. Trust me, there are many like those.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 02:25   #2798
BHPian

Quote:
As far as price goes, for the base model, the CTS' $46,025 base price is $1,800 lower than the 2013 5-Series Sedan's; $5,875 lower than the 2013 E-Class Sedan's; and $3,825 more than the 2013 A6 Sedan's starting price.

But, if we look at the how CTS is build, 2014 CTS weighs ~200 pounds less than the 2013 BMW 528i (according to Cadillac) at 3,616 pounds and it's more than 250 pounds lighter than the last CTS.

That lighter weight is distributed evenly front-to-rear, with a 50.1/49.9% weight balance. Better front-rear weight bias than the 2013 Chevy Corvette Grand Sport's 51/49% distribution.

The 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport have just 8.6 pounds/hp. That's just one more than the 436-horsepower 2013 Chevy Corvette Grand Sport.

So the way it is built, i think its gonna be an interesting fight with 5 and E. Exciting time ahead for this segment.

As for asking price, if the product is just as good as others, i don't see why it should have problem selling at the said price. Obviously, from what i have seen, it is mostly lease so it should find some easy takers who stress on buying only American made cars. Trust me, there are many like those.
It'll be suicidal for GM to increase the price of CTS now. Look at the stats for 2013 YTD in US till date:
BMW sold 17,373 5 series
GM sold 10,200 CTS
Lexus sold 21,923 ES
Mercedes sold 18,120 E class

So I'm assuming price comparison with German cars is not the concern here, rather CTS will loose big if they increase the price.
Source:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/05...13-ytd_10.html
Old 14th June 2013, 02:36   #2799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
It'll be suicidal for GM to increase the price of CTS now. Look at the stats for 2013 YTD in US till date:
BMW sold 17,373 5 series
GM sold 10,200 CTS
Lexus sold 21,923 ES
Mercedes sold 18,120 E class

So I'm assuming price comparison with German cars is not the concern here, rather CTS will loose big if they increase the price.
Source:
I am thinking its because of the new model that is suppose to come this fall. The downfall is huge like 40%. Most of this could be attributed to the new car shown few months back. Its same for G37 too. Don't see why CTS won't have that effect.

I am not sure how much price increase it is, but they have to rationalize ATS too. So they may price it high.

On edmunds, it shows base 2013 CTS starts at $40k. If they have increased it by $5k-$6k they better justify it with better performance, upgraded interiors and better dynamics else it will be a failure. We will know that soon.

Last edited by chevelle : 14th June 2013 at 02:38.
Old 14th June 2013, 02:37   #2800
BHPian

The 2014 CTS standard model will start at $46,025, including $925 destination.

Three option packages (Luxury, Performance and Premium) will be offered with either the 2.0T turbocharged four cylinder or 3.6L naturally aspirated V6 engine in either rear- or all-wheel drive.

The 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder 272 horsepower will do 0-60 in 6.1 seconds – 1.5 seconds faster than the outgoing model.

Standard 17-inch front Brembo brakes with ferritic-nitro carburizing, or FNC, anti-corrosion rotors give CTS braking performance that Cadillac expects to be best in the segment. Magnetic Ride Control, the world’s fastest-reacting suspension and a hallmark of V-Series models, is now standard on base models with 18-inch wheels.

The CTS Vsport model features the new Twin-Turbo 3.6L V6 engine (SAE-certified 420 horsepower), starting at $59,995, equipped with an electronic limited slip differential and eight-speed automatic transmission in RWD only.
Old 14th June 2013, 03:23   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Funny thing i noticed here. Not many comments on the newly revealed Toyota Corolla. Did I miss the discussion somewhere?

I think it looks a little above average. Don't like the lower grille. The wheel gap is too much. Looks like a 4x4 corolla. The protruding exhaust looks disgusting (last image).

The interior looks weird. The center air con vents reminds me of Oldsmobile and looks very 80s (5th image). The Air con display reminds me of i20 (5th image).

Good thing that interior space increased. Power seems adequate though they could have made it more powerful or put out a powerful variant doing 170hp+.

A few pics. The lower grille in red car looks hideous with chrome outline and weird shape. The one in brown looks acceptable reminding me of Lexus derivatives. Dig the spoiler in green. The alloys in red looks bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-0022014toyotacorolla1370577899.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-0032014toyotacorolla1370577901.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-0092014toyotacorolla1370577912.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-0162014toyotacorolla1370577920.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-0242014toyotacorolla.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-0172014toyotacorolla1370577921.jpg  

Last edited by chevelle : 14th June 2013 at 03:25.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 03:29   #2802
BHPian

Isn't anyone tired of watching everyone ape the VW Audi front? Can we have something original now?
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 18:20   #2803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Are your friend's BHPians? I can meet them if they like hanging out
No, unfortunately they aren't BHPians but I'll get you guys in touch if you want. Haven't spoken with them for a few months.
Old 14th June 2013, 19:53   #2804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Funny thing i noticed here. Not many comments on the newly revealed Toyota Corolla. Did I miss the discussion somewhere?
Well its a Corolla, what did you expect

Frankly I like the change, it will now appeal more to the youngsters which this segment is supposed to(Civic) & which the Corolla wasn't. The interior seems mix of old design as you said + from new accord (the 2 stage design). Currently the target audience was slightly older folks.

I think the design will grow on us as we see it more & more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Isn't anyone tired of watching everyone ape the VW Audi front? Can we have something original now?
Yes, infact long back but looks like people still like it.
Old 14th June 2013, 20:38   #2805
BHPian

Can't help but ask. Where will the non sporty average buyer who bought a corolla or a civic simply for reliable, affordable transportation go now?

Or has the average non sporty buyer turned into the opposite?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks