Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 23:39   #2761
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
First Impressions - Chevrolet Equinox LT
Interesting. That the Equinox/Terrain twins don't get rated EPA mileage ratings in most normal conditions is common knowledge. Much is written about that on a ton of online reviews and websites.

I have a Ford Edge Limited on rent this week. I think it is a very good representation of what the American interpretation of a comfortable SUV is. It has amazing smooth ride, the v6 engine is effortless. While I don't technically care for fuel efficiency, but I guess in the mixture of driving so far of 80 miles highway, 20 miles bumper to bumper stop go highway and 30 -40 miles city, I have averaged around 20 mpg. For a 285 bhp v6 engined heavy SUV, I think that is a fair number. I know there is a turbo 4 model of the same, I think that may do a very similar number if tested in the same conditions. For a vehicle in this category and of this size, I think the handling is also very secure. Only German CUVs handle better.

Apart from sunroof, navi and some of the driver aids, I don't think there is anything else missing in the car. But the standout things in the car are the ride and comfort and of course the Ford Sync system. The wheels on this thing are horrible - chrome finished 19 inch wheels. Definitely not to my taste. The Ford Sync system and its plus/minuses are very well documented all over the internet. It is a little slow to respond. The haptic buttons - not at all to my liking either. However it is very capable all in one system. Even the guage cluster has selectable modes and has been designed and implemented well. Kudos to Ford for being amongst the first mainstream manufacturers to take a plunge in a modern infotainment system. All the laggards in this space have signed up with Apple for the next gen infotainment systems, btw.

I think the greatest problem for the Edge is that it is in a small segment - Its a size up from the Escape/CR-V/RAV4 type cars yet a size smaller than Explorer/Highlander etc. I think the market for this type of car that seats 5 and is a premium over the entry level CUVs will shrink. The Escape itself has become much more well equipped and luxurious from before. That would cannibalize Edge sales right in the Ford showroom. Amongst competition, only the Nissan Murano/ Acura RDX are true competitors. Everything else is maybe too expensive in comparison. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is in the same price bucket, but that is a far more capable offroad oriented vehicle as compared to the Edge.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 11th June 2013 at 23:43. Reason: added note on Ford Sync
Old 12th June 2013, 00:31   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
First Impressions - Chevrolet Equinox LT

I don't know if it was equipped with a 2.4L or 3.6L. Either ways acceleration was strictly ok from this porky SUV.
I think 1LT comes with standard 2.4L. Ya I'd prefer Captiva to Equinox as I had mentioned few posts earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I have a Ford Edge Limited on rent this week.
Coincidence or what , I had the Edge Limited last weekend. I did a 1000 mile round trip with 95% highway and 70mph average speed, ended up with 25mpg.
The only reason I had considered purchasing Edge(I ended up not buying) was the ride quality compared to others in the same segment. It definitely rides better than any of the Jap/American crossovers. Not comparing it to the Germans like you said.
And the other was the Moon roof, it has a real good panoramic roof, which is a standard only in Sport, and the alloys in the Sport(5 spoke Aluminium) are way better than the chrome.
Old 12th June 2013, 00:42   #2763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
And the other was the Moon roof, it has a real good panoramic roof, which is a standard only in Sport, and the alloys in the Sport(5 spoke Aluminium) are way better than the chrome.
The Sport model is nearly as expensive as some of the German competition, right? You might as well get an X3 or Q5 for 40k odd that the sport would cost you. And there is of course a Lincoln version of the Edge (MKX) as well - which is (and no prizes for guessing) even more expensive. I sometimes don't understand how Ford positions its own cars and the Lincoln equivalents. However, none of that takes anything away from the fantastic ride and handling that the Edge offers. The Murano feels fairly floaty in comparison. Haven't driven the Grand Cherokee, so cannot really say how that feels in comparison. The RDX has gone from sporty to cushy with the 2013 model that was launched earlier this year.

Most of my rentals are 300 -400 miles. So my review is also going to be based on much shorter experiences. I think 1000 mile rentals give you much more living time with the car. You definitely can form more opinion on cars with that. The more comfortable cars make me feel sleepier and bored. I started longing for some more involving cars on the freeways.

Also, the fact that there are fewer and fewer base model cars in the rental lots is strange in my view. I mostly see mid to high specced cars. I cannot really point a finger to one reason why.

PS: I just read that the edge and the CX-9 share platforms. Now I know where the handling comes from.What that means is, Ford could have easily put a third row in this, if they wanted to. But they of course have the Explorer and Flex with three row seating based on the larger platform.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 12th June 2013 at 00:45.
Old 12th June 2013, 01:03   #2764
BHPian

Ya never said Edge is a better choice to X3 or Q5. But then lets not forget Sport comes with the 3.5L V6 Mustang engine. Again not that i'm saying its a decision factor!

How does maintaining a Edge compare to a X3 or Q5? Would they be same or comparable?
Quote:
The Sport model is nearly as expensive as some of the German competition, right? You might as well get an X3 or Q5 for 40k odd that the sport would cost you.
Old 12th June 2013, 01:50   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a Ford Edge Limited on rent this week. I think it is a very good representation of what the American interpretation of a comfortable SUV is.

The Ford Sync system and its plus/minuses are very well documented all over the internet. It is a little slow to respond. The haptic buttons - not at all to my liking either. However it is very capable all in one system. Even the guage cluster has selectable modes and has been designed and implemented well.

I think the greatest problem for the Edge is that it is in a small segment - Everything else is maybe too expensive in comparison. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is in the same price bucket, but that is a far more capable offroad oriented vehicle as compared to the Edge.
I have driven Edge, its a great SUV but it is not the best handler. I thought Equinox competed with Edge since i booked a Standard SUV which listed Edge as an option. But Avis has Chevrolet Fleet majorly so got the Equinox. It is clearly bigger than Escape and much more comfortable. Same goes for edge.

I used Ford Sync in Explorer (2012) and Escape (2013). Trust me, it is the most disgusting thing i have ever used. The haptic buttons are bad, the interface is slow n laggy and if you want to control AC, you have go through 3-4 clicks before you get to and then adjustment takes long. All this you have to do while taking your eyes off the road. Very dangerous. OTOH, i found mylink better. I could click and use it without looking continuously at screen. Just a glance and you know what to click and it is spot on when clicked.

Quote:
I think 1LT comes with standard 2.4L. Ya I'd prefer Captiva to Equinox as I had mentioned few posts earlier.

The only reason I had considered purchasing Edge(I ended up not buying) was the ride quality compared to others in the same segment. It definitely rides better than any of the Jap/American crossovers. Not comparing it to the Germans like you said.
Yes, now that i think how slow it was to get to 60mph, it was indeed a 2.4L in which case it didn't match the EPA estimates. I hope they are not doing what Hyundai did - Inflating numbers.

Ride quality of Equinox is just as good as Edge. It is better than others. I won't get the Captiva.

Quote:
How does maintaining a Edge compare to a X3 or Q5? Would they be same or comparable?
Buying new, X3 has maintenance included for 3 years so it shouldn't be a problem. If you are owning out of warranty, i think Edge will have an 'edge' when it comes to maintaining it. This is just for long term. Short term, X3 should give better peace of mind owing to all inclusive maintenance. If you can get a pre-owned certified, it will extend that for some more time which will be sweet.
Old 12th June 2013, 02:13   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Ride quality of Equinox is just as good as Edge. It is better than others. I won't get the Captiva.

Buying new, X3 has maintenance included for 3 years so it shouldn't be a problem. If you are owning out of warranty, i think Edge will have an 'edge' when it comes to maintaining it. This is just for long term. Short term, X3 should give better peace of mind owing to all inclusive maintenance. If you can get a pre-owned certified, it will extend that for some more time which will be sweet.
Yep exactly had it been a lease I'd probably pick the X3.

Aint Captiva and Equinox on the same platform? They both handle way differently though. I remember reading somewhere that the Captiva is rental equinox version, if it were true I would have expected them to be same. But for the stripped down interiors and few inches longer boot in Captiva.
Old 12th June 2013, 02:29   #2767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the laggards in this space have signed up with Apple for the next gen infotainment systems, btw.
Forgot to tell you this but i read that MyLink is very similar to iOS7 interface or vice versa as shown in the demo by apple. Current mylink already supports Siri commands and iphone integration. I did try S3 and worked flawlessly. Can't say about iphone since i don't have one.

http://wot.motortrend.com/apple-ios-...#axzz2VwUaRFeu

Quote:
Yep exactly had it been a lease I'd probably pick the X3.

Aint Captiva and Equinox on the same platform? They both handle way differently though. I remember reading somewhere that the Captiva is rental equinox version, if it were true I would have expected them to be same. But for the stripped down interiors and few inches longer boot in Captiva.
I am not so sure. I thought captiva was smaller and competes with CR-v and likes. But i could be wrong. I haven't seen captiva on road at all here. Wonder if it even sells.
Old 12th June 2013, 02:39   #2768
BHPian

Its a Fleet only model. The ones on road are either rentals or sold by rental companies
I know ite weird, I had Captiva and my 29" fit perfectly, but the same didn't fit well in Equinox
Quote:
I am not so sure. I thought captiva was smaller and competes with CR-v and likes. But i could be wrong. I haven't seen captiva on road at all here. Wonder if it even sells.
Old 12th June 2013, 18:38   #2769
BHPian

Since we are on American crossovers, I wonder if anyone here has driven the Buick Enclave, which in my opinion is one of the more pleasant, gratifying rides available for any kind of money.

I am not for SUV/Xover's, but if there is one I'd think of buying it would probably be the Enclave over the others.
Old 12th June 2013, 19:00   #2770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Since we are on American crossovers, I wonder if anyone here has driven the Buick Enclave, which in my opinion is one of the more pleasant, gratifying rides available for any kind of money.

I am not for SUV/Xover's, but if there is one I'd think of buying it would probably be the Enclave over the others.
I have driven the 2013 GMC Acadia - a close cousin of the Enclave. I think the Enclave is the most luxuriously outfitted of the family. The Chevy Traverse being the least. I agree - the GM Lambda family of large crossovers are supremely comfortable and great to travel long distances in.
Old 12th June 2013, 23:21   #2771
Senior - BHPian

I just now gave myself a Father's Day gift in advance
Ordered a bunch of stuff from Zainostore.com
Now to wait for it to arrive and then a nice weekend to sweat it out.
Old 13th June 2013, 00:46   #2772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I just now gave myself a Father's Day gift in advance
Ordered a bunch of stuff from Zainostore.com
Now to wait for it to arrive and then a nice weekend to sweat it out.
Somehow i don't see myself spending so much time on doing detailing of cars. May be because i don't have resources and a good isolated place to do it.

I do wash the car and dry it, but don't do any elaborate detail process. Will have to look into it. Just don't have access to power outlet for the accessories to use.
Old 13th June 2013, 01:03   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow i don't see myself spending so much time on doing detailing of cars. May be because i don't have resources and a good isolated place to do it.

I do wash the car and dry it, but don't do any elaborate detail process. Will have to look into it. Just don't have access to power outlet for the accessories to use.
I wash and wax my car in the designated parking spot only. Its a nice way to meet your neighbors!

And since I only use elbow grease, I don't need a power outlet either.

Here is a little something to inspire you
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20080926c6.jpg

Source: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...e=TESTIMONIALS
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 02:16   #2774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wash and wax my car in the designated parking spot only. Its a nice way to meet your neighbors!

So what do you use? Can you provide a brief description of what products you use and how you use it without any buffer or something.

Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 02:40   #2775
BHPian

Ya Amitoj, like chev mentioned do give some details. The other day TR was also asking bout detailing(I am lethargic when it comes to DIY ) will be a nice piece of information for all of us..

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks