Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2013, 02:04   #2656
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Is Accord Sport the V6? If it isn't do you still suggest that Accord is better?
Ya true I didn't pick any V6, but its me again trying to want more for less from a Honda

Indeed I simply love the looks of Fusion. But its going to be a task to convince him into Ford
I have suggested him to rent these cars and drive them around for a day and see which he is most comfortable with.
Not it is not a v6. It is 5 hp more than a regular version. It has better suspension comes with spoiler and stuff. Also the price is great - ~$22k and after discounts it will be $21k or so. It drives differently than a regular honda and is a much better buy. It goes against Camry SE but SE is expensive than sport.

The v6 in Honda is sweet too. But probably a little out of budget for your cousin.

Fusion looks great. I haven't driven it. Plan to do it sometime soon. I was just configuring a Fusion SE (2.5L) on its website and it came out to ~$26k with a few options I added as i wanted. Quite high as it would be near $29k with taxes and fees.

What you can do is, go to dealer in the evening. Tell them that in order to make a better decision or buy it, you want to spend some more time with the car. If they are willing they won't hesitate to give it to you for a day so you can explore the car. You can do this once you have shortlisted a few car. No harm in having one for 12-15 hours and drive. You may have to pay for the gas but it will be the best $25-$50 you will spend if you are gonna keep it for long time.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 03:44   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Not it is not a v6. It is 5 hp more than a regular version. It has better suspension comes with spoiler and stuff. Also the price is great - ~$22k and after discounts it will be $21k or so. It drives differently than a regular honda and is a much better buy. It goes against Camry SE but SE is expensive than sport.

The v6 in Honda is sweet too. But probably a little out of budget for your cousin.

Fusion looks great. I haven't driven it. Plan to do it sometime soon. I was just configuring a Fusion SE (2.5L) on its website and it came out to ~$26k with a few options I added as i wanted. Quite high as it would be near $29k with taxes and fees.

What you can do is, go to dealer in the evening. Tell them that in order to make a better decision or buy it, you want to spend some more time with the car. If they are willing they won't hesitate to give it to you for a day so you can explore the car. You can do this once you have shortlisted a few car. No harm in having one for 12-15 hours and drive. You may have to pay for the gas but it will be the best $25-$50 you will spend if you are gonna keep it for long time.
Oh I didn't know the dealer would give out car for a day. That's something really worth trying before he makes a purchase.
Ya for some reason Fusion is expensive, it goes all the way to $40k+

I suggested my cousin to check the dealer inventory and see if he likes some in their lot with Nav or any other features and try to negotiate on those models.
Old 22nd May 2013, 06:33   #2658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh I didn't know the dealer would give out car for a day. That's something really worth trying before he makes a purchase.
Ya for some reason Fusion is expensive, it goes all the way to $40k+

Average price of a new car sold in the US has been nudging up all the while and I believe in 2012 it crossed 30k for the first time ever. Anyway you don't need all the options possible. For most practical purposes a mid spec car is more than good enough. 40k will get you a fully equipped Ford Fusion, but it might also give you a very well equipped Acura TL/G37. So Ford is being just hopeful. Not many people buy the 40k versions anyway.

I also think the Accord Sport is an excellent choice - sportier version of the 4 cylinder with some suspension tweaks. I think the new Accord looks better than the previous model and is a better size with a lot of interior room. Perhaps the Mazda handles the best, but for me the Accord is a better overall car. I also think the Passat is good value. But the engine is not the best.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:22   #2659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Accord Sport the V6? If it isn't do you still suggest that Accord is better?
Ya true I didn't pick any V6, but its me again trying to want more for less from a Honda

Indeed I simply love the looks of Fusion. But its going to be a task to convince him into Ford
I have suggested him to rent these cars and drive them around for a day and see which he is most comfortable with.
I think the sport accord (higher than LX) is unique in that it has 18" alloys. I had test driven one a couple months back and another today (my friend took delivery yesterday). Could be psychological but the 2013 accord feels slightly different from the 2012 one (steering feels a *little* more direct or responsive).

The sport also has parking camera. It has all the goodies except the navigation and I'm not sure about the sunroof.

Oh and personally if going for Volkswagen I like only the 2.0 turbo engine (GLI in jetta, or GTI or CC). I don't find the 2.5 five cylinder engine exciting.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 22nd May 2013 at 11:27.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 00:16   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I also think the Accord Sport is an excellent choice - sportier version of the 4 cylinder with some suspension tweaks. I think the new Accord looks better than the previous model and is a better size with a lot of interior room. Perhaps the Mazda handles the best, but for me the Accord is a better overall car. I also think the Passat is good value. But the engine is not the best.
Yea I will tell my brother to TD both and see which he feels most comfortable in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I think the sport accord (higher than LX) is unique in that it has 18" alloys. I had test driven one a couple months back and another today (my friend took delivery yesterday). Could be psychological but the 2013 accord feels slightly different from the 2012 one (steering feels a *little* more direct or responsive).

The sport also has parking camera. It has all the goodies except the navigation and I'm not sure about the sunroof.

Oh and personally if going for Volkswagen I like only the 2.0 turbo engine (GLI in jetta, or GTI or CC). I don't find the 2.5 five cylinder engine exciting.
Interesting, I have felt 2.5 Jetta is better. May be because I drove the 2.5L first and then took a TD of 2.0 recently felt it to be underpowered
But the 2.5L was a rental on a road trip, the extra horses and Tiptronic helped a lot
Old 23rd May 2013, 00:18   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be because I drove the 2.5L first and then took a TD of 2.0 recently felt it to be underpowered
But the 2.5L was a rental on a road trip, the extra horses and Tiptronic helped a lot
Are you talking about the base 2.0l with the 115 hp? I think the 2.0 being talked about her is the 2.0 TSI. That is a gem of a small engine - with variants powering all sorts of VW/Audi cars. I haven't ever felt/heard of that being underpowered. Also, for 500$, you can get a tuner chip that will easily push the HP and TQ numbers up another 10-15% and make the torque curve a lot more wider.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd May 2013 at 03:04. Reason: fixed quotes
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:01   #2662
Senior - BHPian

Yeah I think that's the confusion. Jetta base model comes in a non-turbo 2 litre that struggles like it has asthma. The one I was referring to is the turbo 2 litre that is peppy even in the Audi Q5. If I were to buy Jetta, I would go for that despite the extra $$. It is available only in the GLI trim.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:34   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
Are you talking about the base 2.0l with the 115 hp? I think the 2.0 being talked about her is the 2.0 TSI. That is a gem of a small engine - with variants powering all sorts of VW/Audi cars. I haven't ever felt/heard of that being underpowered. Also, for 500$, you can get a tuner chip that will easily push the HP and TQ numbers up another 10-15% and make the torque curve a lot more wider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Yeah I think that's the confusion. Jetta base model comes in a non-turbo 2 litre that struggles like it has asthma. The one I was referring to is the turbo 2 litre that is peppy even in the Audi Q5. If I were to buy Jetta, I would go for that despite the extra $$. It is available only in the GLI trim.
Lol indeed I was talking bout the 2.0L not the TSI.
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:42   #2664
BHPian

Purchases galore! And im still looking around for that car which im gonna own for the next two years. Puts me on the line indeed. Lease is definitely out of question considering all that money you pay per month cannot be considered as equity in car at all at the end of the term.

Looked around the USED car market a lot and still wasnt able to find anything appealing to the heart and wallet at the same time.

Looking forward to the memorial day deals. Probably a financed USED car that is AWD (as im not gonna be changing to snow tires for sure!!!!) Is going to be my pick in a couple of days - fingers crossed. Although the best APR around is 2.46%. Considering prepayment doesnt come with a penalty and selling a Japanese won't be too much of a hassle, for now, thats probably the way to go.

As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, the Subarus command a premium in Colorado. Its true.
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:51   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Looking forward to the memorial day deals. Probably a financed USED car that is AWD (as im not gonna be changing to snow tires for sure!!!!) Is going to be my pick in a couple of days - fingers crossed. Although the best APR around is 2.46%. Considering prepayment doesnt come with a penalty and selling a Japanese won't be too much of a hassle, for now, thats probably the way to go.

As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, the Subarus command a premium in Colorado. Its true.
Good luck with the hunt...to me the best part of the purchase is the hunt.

As for Subaru's, the people in Denver probably know what they are doing

Subies may be blah to look at and as underrated as a bottle opener, but they can make the rest look silly when it matters most. I had fun watching the vids
NinadJoshi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:22   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post

Subies may be blah to look at and as underrated as a bottle opener, but they can make the rest look silly when it matters most. I had fun watching the vids
Yup, have seen these vids before - thanks for posting them. There is a reason why these are popular in some 3-4 states in the US, and wildly popular at that. The videos clarify why.

Memphes - What are you willing to spend? Are you trying to buy a new car? As much as I remember you were trying to get a used car, correct?
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:53   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Memphes - What are you willing to spend? Are you trying to buy a new car? As much as I remember you were trying to get a used car, correct?
Yup.. that's right. Initially the budget I set off with was 6000 $ as thats what I could cash-down since its only been two weeks since I got here.

Gradually some good to haves have converted to need to haves. Like AWD, Sunroof, <70k miles....., > 2008 year , etc.

Considering the current plan is that I will need to use this vehicle for another 23 months, and I don't want to be changing cars amidst my stint here, and of course convert the cash I ve put into the vehicle into some equity... it better be Japanese.

So with all that, I don't see myself getting a car that fits the heart n budget unless I go upto about 12000 $. That means a financed option with no prepayment penalty seems to be the way to go. And a monthly payment of not more than 350 $/ month

Last edited by mempheS.D : 23rd May 2013 at 20:55.
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:50   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
So with all that, I don't see myself getting a car that fits the heart n budget unless I go upto about 12000 $.
12K - Heart and budget are not going to be in Sync .
I was in same boat as you, finally with growing disillusionment and frustration in not finding car, went and bought the first car that came in my budget.

Functionality should be your prime criterial, You should be able to get any good Jap with in your budget (just that AWD might not be possible).
I know folks who drive around in Civics/Corolla in Denver and they do just fine without AWD.

If you have alternate modes of transportation, then you should wait around till you find the right deal.

Quote:
That means a financed option with no prepayment penalty seems to be the way to go. And a monthly payment of not more than 350 $/ month
Try DCU, they dont have any prepayment penalty. I closed of my car loan in 5 months, and bike loan was closed off in 2 months.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:56   #2669
BHPian

we used to drive in real deep snow with just FWD.

For example ...

Friends car, was camping out in the wilderness in snow season, while in college

Even now, I use only FWD in snow with European all seasons tires. Never got stranded. Given that it is all season, the wear is lower than the dedicated snow tires which i used to run before. And no more tire changes.

The cose of tires - $500 , is much cheaper than the premium for AWD. And I assure you, the cars would stop much faster with the vredesteins rather than with any other all seasons, AWD or not.

Another similar tire is Nokian WR

http://www.vredestein.com/autobanden...l-season-tyres
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-k.jpg  

Last edited by Jomz : 23rd May 2013 at 23:19.
Old 24th May 2013, 01:34   #2670
BHPian

Quote:
Yup.. that's right. Initially the budget I set off with was 6000 $ as thats what I could cash-down since its only been two weeks since I got here.

Gradually some good to haves have converted to need to haves. Like AWD, Sunroof, <70k miles....., > 2008 year , etc.

Considering the current plan is that I will need to use this vehicle for another 23 months, and I don't want to be changing cars amidst my stint here, and of course convert the cash I ve put into the vehicle into some equity... it better be Japanese.

So with all that, I don't see myself getting a car that fits the heart n budget unless I go upto about 12000 $. That means a financed option with no prepayment penalty seems to be the way to go. And a monthly payment of not more than 350 $/ month
Totally agree with TR and Jomz, getting a AWD for the budget would be a tough find. I would instead look for a newer FWD car. Having drove my Mustang in Chicago for a whole winter, I'm pretty sure its easy to drive around a FWD.
Again If you are going to be driving hills during winter I feel it makes a need for AWD, if its just regular commute stick to FWD.
Also I'm not sure which bank or Credit Union you have checked, there are umpteen credit unions that have no fee for pre closing your loan. Based on my research DCU gave me the best APR.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks