Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 19:31   #2581
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
You could try sanding off the rust and painting the sanded off parts. Use sandpaper or maybe a hand grinder. It is labor intensive though.
Oh. Thanks Geomy, I dont have the skill or the patience to do that. I am going to get it removed now. My wife is able to get into the truck without much of a problem, so i dont really need that.

I need to buy a good tool set now, I intend to get hands on with the Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Congrats Dude, Now you have an American truck, an enthusiast sedan & a bike. Nice Garage
Thanks bunch Mod , The truck is the best buy, I cannot get anything better for 2 Grand. Its mechanically pretty good and I love it.

I am yet to explore the limits on the bike, So far so good. I am pretty happy with way I am progressing on the skill levels.

Quote:
P.s. I envy your insurance premium, I pay slightly less than you for one car in NJ
Ah!!, thats very intersting, I didnt think it would vary this much with state. I thought i was paying very high. One of my friends has a garage, similar to mine - 2009 Mustang V6, 2008 R1 and 2007 Toyota RAV4, He is paying 180$ in Austin,Texas.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 9th May 2013 at 19:41.
Old 9th May 2013, 20:47   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I am yet to explore the limits on the bike, So far so good. I am pretty happy with way I am progressing on the skill levels.
Bike se yaad aya, Where is the ownership report?

Let me know how is your experience driving it daily. Does your arm hurt when commuting?

I am considering a entry level bike and you are the perfect guy since cbr600rr is in my list. I was wondering if i should get something like ninja650r that is little relaxed or get cbr600rr that has a proper sports bike posture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am currently living in Vancouver BC. I plan to start a rest-mod project soon but still kinda' debating on the project car, therefore I thought I will pick your brains to figure out which car it would be.

I have shortlisted the contenders and create a poll. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Manu Chawla
Hey, where is the shortlist and poll? Link to it or did i miss it somewhere?

Some good restoration cars would be 240z, 300zx, rx-7, supra, celica if you wanna go Japanese. If you want to do American, plenty of sports and muscle cars(c3-c4, chevelle, mustang, challenger, camaro and then some more) of bygone era will keep you busy.

Quote:

Thanks CHev. I am banking on the reliability. Even if its bad, i plan to work on it - more like a progressive DIY. These things are really bare bone, nothing should go wrong with it. Since its only 2K, I am not keeping very high hopes.

I am taking the truck for a Wash and minor polish - Exterior is a mess, Interior is an even bigger mess.
Thanks for the pics. Yes, for that price, its good. I am sure once you work on it and when you sell it, you will atleast recover the $2k you paid for.

While you are at it, do change/restore the headlights. It will improve the throw of light and is a safety feature IMO. It looks terribly washed out. Should cost you just $10 to fix it.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 20:49   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah!!, thats very intersting, I didnt think it would vary this much with state. I thought i was paying very high. One of my friends has a garage, similar to mine - 2009 Mustang V6, 2008 R1 and 2007 Toyota RAV4, He is paying 180$ in Austin,Texas.
Aha my bad, I read your quote incorrectly, still my insurance premium is pretty close to your friends with just one car :(
Old 9th May 2013, 21:06   #2584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

Let me know how is your experience driving it daily. Does your arm hurt when commuting? I am considering a entry level bike and you are the perfect guy since cbr600rr is in my list. I was wondering if i should get something like ninja650r that is little relaxed or get cbr600rr that has a proper sports bike posture.
Ah, I will do that.
Regarding the bikes, if you ask my frank opinion, I think you should have the litre class in your short list, you have so much usable torque for your touring (Not that 600rr lacks it or anything, after having ridden both R1 and 600RR, i kind of wished i went for the litre class.)

I havent ridden Ninja 650r, but 600rr is very comfortable and has a comparatively lesser aggressive riding position as compared to an R6, this again is MHO.
The pillon of 600rr is a joke, me and wife went for 50 mile road trip and she hated it, it was very stressful for her. So, if you plan on taking your wife for long rides, then 600rr might pose a problem.

If you ask me, I'd say you should give the Litre class a try first and only if you are uncomfortable should you plan for the 600 cc segment.

I was comparing a 2008 R1 against my 600rr, and I loved R1 (there aint much of a cost difference either).

One of my friends bought a 2010 BMW 800 GS, and he is extremely happy with it. It suits his Office commute and touring needs perfectly.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 21:21   #2585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How much restoration can a 2010 Mini Cooper need?
Hi Sahil,
First I will like to congratulate you for your new toy. It's a beautiful looking machine.
Sorry for the confusing post earlier. What I meant was it will be either a restoration and/or modification project. I personally would like to get a euro spec E30 M3 and work on. Do let me know you think of the option.
Manu
Quote:
Hey, where is the shortlist and poll? Link to it or did i miss it somewhere?

Some good restoration cars would be 240z, 300zx, rx-7, supra, celica if you wanna go Japanese. If you want to do American, plenty of sports and muscle cars(c3-c4, chevelle, mustang, challenger, camaro and then some more) of bygone era will keep you busy.
Hi Chevelle,

My thread got merged with the existing thread therefore the poll is gone. Here are the option that I am considering -
1. 1975 BMW 2002/2002tii
2. 1991/1992 BMW E30 M3
3. 1998/1999 BMW E36 M3
4. 2010 Mini Cooper S (modifications only)

Manu
Old 9th May 2013, 21:22   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mohit, I did get the suspension looked at and they were fine. It just may be that these older F150s have very lousy leaf suspension.

I had exactly the same reason, I didnt really need to buy this -since I am swamped with the Car Loan and Bike loan (Almost over). But at the end of the day, i just went ahed with it. I love it. The interior is a mess, but the V8 growl

Heh, Thanks Vineeth. Yes this is going to be the daily driver, I plan to alternate the Truck with the Bike. My Commute is really really small 2+2 miles both ways. I only bought the truck, since this was available for dirt cheap.
Hehe, Luckily I dont really know any desis over here, There are none in my office

Thanks CHev. I am banking on the reliability. Even if its bad, i plan to work on it - more like a progressive DIY. These things are really bare bone, nothing should go wrong with it. Since its only 2K, I am not keeping very high hopes.

I am taking the truck for a Wash and minor polish - Exterior is a mess, Interior is an even bigger mess.

I will post some pics today after I get home.

Till then 2 pics from my phone -

Thanks Jomz, Regarding 4WD, it says FX4. Is that the same as 4WD?
Congrats Torro.

Don't sweat it. Just drive the heck out of it. These trucks last a looong time. The best part is that the parts are cheap and almost all garages can perform the repairs, if any.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 21:28   #2587
BHPian

Quote:

Let me know how is your experience driving it daily. Does your arm hurt when commuting?

I am considering a entry level bike and you are the perfect guy since cbr600rr is in my list. I was wondering if i should get something like ninja650r that is little relaxed or get cbr600rr that has a proper sports bike posture.
Quote:
Ah, I will do that.
Regarding the bikes, if you ask my frank opinion, I think you should have the litre class in your short list, you have so much usable torque for your touring (Not that 600rr lacks it or anything, after having ridden both R1 and 600RR, i kind of wished i went for the litre class.)

I havent ridden Ninja 650r, but 600rr is very comfortable and has a comparatively lesser aggressive riding position as compared to an R6, this again is MHO.
The pillon of 600rr is a joke, me and wife went for 50 mile road trip and she hated it, it was very stressful for her. So, if you plan on taking your wife for long rides, then 600rr might pose a problem.

If you ask me, I'd say you should give the Litre class a try first and only if you are uncomfortable should you plan for the 600 cc segment.

I was comparing a 2008 R1 against my 600rr, and I loved R1 (there aint much of a cost difference either).

One of my friends bought a 2010 BMW 800 GS, and he is extremely happy with it. It suits his Office commute and touring needs perfectly.
I agree with TR chevelle, CBR has a good posture to ride. Even though I'm a huge Yamaha fan, the R6 has a very uncomfortable posture.(But then this is my personal comfort) You must sit on the bike to see which you feel comfortable.

BMW is a premium choice, and great adventure rider. If you plan on long road trips, then it should be your pick.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 21:41   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, I will do that.

So, if you plan on taking your wife for long rides, then 600rr might pose a problem.

Thanks. I will bug you more about this in couple of months.

i will try the litre class. I am yet to shortlist any. But i will keep an eye on some of your recos. Yes, pillion comfort is important. Ninja 650r is quite comfortable in that regards (from a small test drive).

GS sounds good. Will keep an eye on it. I don't know if it will fit my budget. I guess just like sports cars, the value of bike increases during the riding season. You think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
Hi Chevelle,

My thread got merged with the existing thread therefore the poll is gone. Here are the option that I am considering -
1. 1975 BMW 2002/2002tii
2. 1991/1992 BMW E30 M3
3. 1998/1999 BMW E36 M3
4. 2010 Mini Cooper S (modifications only)

Manu
From your options, I had go with E36. But be ready for expensive spares and difficulty in finding them. Second choice would be performance mods on Cooper S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I agree with TR chevelle, CBR has a good posture to ride. Even though I'm a huge Yamaha fan, the R6 has a very uncomfortable posture.(But then this is my personal comfort) You must sit on the bike to see which you feel comfortable.

BMW is a premium choice, and great adventure rider. If you plan on long road trips, then it should be your pick.
Thanks. I will look into it. Yes, i agree, i won't buy without a test drive and see how comfortable we are. I don't think we would do very long trips. Probably a couple of hours, here and there. For very long trips, i will stick to corvette. The bike essentially will be for daily commutes - 10-15 miles one way.

Last edited by chevelle : 9th May 2013 at 21:45.
Old 9th May 2013, 21:43   #2589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Congrats Torro.

Don't sweat it. Just drive the heck out of it. These trucks last a looong time. The best part is that the parts are cheap and almost all garages can perform the repairs, if any.
Thanks VLOCT. Very much appreciated, the best part was, yesterday in Gym the regulars came and checked out the truck, and they were very pleased with my decision to go for it, I go to a gym frequented by the Blue collar. They echoed the same statements that you just said. They gave me some local garage contacts who could fix up anything/everything in the Truck.

My Wishlist is to get this painted in the Raptor SVT White shade - perhaps one day, If i am going to be here for that long.

Quote:
Thanks. I will bug you more about this in couple of months.
GS sounds good. Will keep an eye on it. I don't know if it will fit my budget. I guess just like sports cars, the value of bike increases during the riding season. You think so?.
It does, but it wont matter in your area which have the perfect riding weather all throughout the year.
I picked my 600rr up because I was getting for a steal and they guy wanted to dispose it fast. Sacremento has such a great collection of bikes, you would be spoilt for choices. Happy hunting bro!

Last edited by ToroRosso : 9th May 2013 at 21:46.
Old 9th May 2013, 21:43   #2590
Senior - BHPian

Chevelle, go for the Ninja 650R if you want something which has a relaxed ride for both rider & pillion & yet has decent power.

The track bikes have peaky power & hence Torque often comes late, the city bikes & Tourers have the torque from lower revs & don't require to be revved higher either.

Here is the link for ownership report froma fellow Bhpian who owned it during his stay in US Ninja 650R
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 21:45   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
GS sounds good. Will keep an eye on it. I don't know if it will fit my budget. I guess just like sports cars, the value of bike increases during the riding season. You think so?
Hmm its not true in the book value, but yes the sellers are pretty firm on the price also I have observed in LA the bikes on sale by PP are usually around 1000 more than KBB is it similar in No-Cal?
And yea there are more choices during summer. I'm also looking for one, and the number of ads are increasing compared to what it was during dec-jan time.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 9th May 2013 at 21:48.
Old 9th May 2013, 22:07   #2592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It does, but it wont matter in your area which have the perfect riding weather all throughout the year.
I picked my 600rr up because I was getting for a steal and they guy wanted to dispose it fast. Sacremento has such a great collection of bikes, you would be spoilt for choices. Happy hunting bro!
Here bike choices are more, but prices are high because of good weather. And a lots gonna change in coming months. You will see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Chevelle, go for the Ninja 650R if you want something which has a relaxed ride for both rider & pillion & yet has decent power.

The track bikes have peaky power & hence Torque often comes late, the city bikes & Tourers have the torque from lower revs & don't require to be revved higher either.

Here is the link for ownership report froma fellow Bhpian who owned it during his stay in US Ninja 650R
Thanks for the link. Yes, 650R is a very compelling option as a starter bike. My friend recently got one - 2012 650R for $8k from a dealer. I drove that for short distance. It was pretty good.

Yes, i need Torque at low end. Don't need it at higher end so something like a cross between tourer and track bike makes sense. I even considered a Yamaha FZ6R, but i read its a chick bike and is not as good as FZ6 and 650R. A dealer here is selling a 2013 FZ6R for $7500 OTD. That is a very good deal i think.

Quote:
Hmm its not true in the book value, but yes the sellers are pretty firm on the price also I have observed in LA the bikes on sale by PP are usually around 1000 more than KBB is it similar in No-Cal?
And yea there are more choices during summer. I'm also looking for one, and the number of ads are increasing compared to what it was during dec-jan time.
Yes, sellers here are firm or they price it more than what's it worth. The choices are more in summer, but prices are high too at which point it just makes sense to buy a new one.
Old 9th May 2013, 22:39   #2593
BHPian

Quote:
Here bike choices are more, but prices are high because of good weather. And a lots gonna change in coming months. You will see why.

Yes, sellers here are firm or they price it more than what's it worth. The choices are more in summer, but prices are high too at which point it just makes sense to buy a new one.
I missed 2 nice bikes cuz of my bad negotiation skills

How bout a Duc Monster?
Old 9th May 2013, 23:19   #2594
Senior - BHPian

@Torrorosso: Congrats on your buy! Amazing looking truck and awesome price. Drive it like you stole it

I am really looking forward to your ownership experience.

@Chevvelle: Said it before and one favor from you. Please post some info on how to go about looking and buying for a used bike. This is one territory i am thinking of entering but kind of get shivers thinking of it.

Finally my experience with a Ford Expedition.

We were on a trip to LA to visit the Universal studios and oh hmmmm pst (Disneyland ) where the average age of us was 27. We were 6 and had a horrendous experience with a ford flex and thus decided to go for a full blown SUV from the airport location.

Were provided an option of a Chevy Tahoe and a Ford Expedition. Tahoe was rejected due to the pathetic half a feet seat height in the third row. But its a total looker. Went instead for the sober looking Expedition.

Initial experience. Cars HUGE! Seats are comfy. Driving it is very easy and the best part was the controls in the cabin were really simple. Not like i need to be a airforce pilot to switch on the AC or something.

Driving in traffic is nice but be careful while weaving in and out of traffic. Do not take turns at high speeds but frankly the six of us in the car were super comfy. I even got the motherinlaw row for 3 hours and was comfy.(Only drawback was needed to shouut to talk to the first row)

I am really drooling on the car and would love to own one. Lots of folks say its illogical but i realised i prefer SUVs to sedans(Guess my first trip after being born was in a M&M Jeep which gives me this dna.)

Final points: If your getting the car as a rental or buying take it.

Pros: Comfort
Easy to drive
Not too huge
People give way on the highways which is very beneficial.
Nice engine and not scary
Good seating position

Cons:
Mileage(Got like a bakasura appetite for Gas) I didnt check the mileage but one full tank was close to 69 bucks.
Luggage space was poor with the three rows of seats being used.
Getting in and out of the third row is a bit tough and you wouldn believe the number of times u forget the person in the last row and lock the doors.

4/5 for this vehicle. I just believe the price is a bit high.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th May 2013 at 04:22. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 02:35   #2595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I missed 2 nice bikes cuz of my bad negotiation skills

How bout a Duc Monster?
Jeez! Don't tempt me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

@Chevvelle: Said it before and one favor from you. Please post some info on how to go about looking and buying for a used bike . This is one territory i am thinking of entering but kind of get shivers thinking of it.

I am really drooling on the car and would love to own one. Lots of folks say its illogical but i realised i prefer SUVs to sedans(Guess my first trip after being born was in a M&M Jeep which gives me this dna.)

4/5 for this vehicle. I just believe the price is a bit high.
I haven't even started actively looking for a bike. Once i have some experience, i will for sure pen down some points for same and experience with how bikes drive.

I like Ford Expedition. When we went to Mammoth Lake, we were offered Tahoe or Explorer. We went with Explorer. Somewhere i have written a detailed impression of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks