Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2013, 18:31   #2341
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
How many of you agree with this piece of wisdom on AWD v/s snow tires ?

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-myth...210608212.html
I do ... shoes are THE most important mod to any car since that alone determines contact from powertrain to road.

Ask for the best combination though? my Evo 9 with Blizzaks - best of both worlds
Old 24th March 2013, 18:39   #2342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
How many of you agree with this piece of wisdom on AWD v/s snow tires ?

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-myth...210608212.html
I sort of agree. A good set of snow tires with the latest traction control systems can do better than a regular AWD car. But you can be a novice in an AWD car, and the car might pull you through a little rough patch better than FWD/RWD. Another thing that would swing things in AWD favor is that you have to go through the extra workload of switching summer/winter tires - people just want to avoid that trouble. If you are renting and don't have space to store your summer tires and wheels, that is also an additional challenge. Also, if the winter is very variable - some days of sudden temperature spikes about 40 - 50 F, then the snow tires are not useful at all. However, if I live up in the mountains or in northern Canada/Alaska, I personally would prefer my vehicle outfitted with snow tires through the winter - irrespective of FWD/RWD/AWD.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 19:02   #2343
Senior - BHPian

The article is somewhat confusing.
The writer is talking about cornering on a slippery surface. You have to be, ummm, a really novice driver to push your car's cornering ability when there is snow on the road! There is no amount of technology that can take care of that amount of stupidity.
But i will be able to comment on this better next year when i put snow or winter tires on my wife's car next year.
Someone i know had winter tires on her accord and she spun out and totalled the car when she hit black ice when changing lanes.
Old 24th March 2013, 19:03   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I sort of agree. A good set of snow tires with the latest traction control systems can do better than a regular AWD car. But you can be a novice in an AWD car, and the car might pull you through a little rough patch better than FWD/RWD. Another thing that would swing things in AWD favor is that you have to go through the extra workload of switching summer/winter tires - people just want to avoid that trouble. If you are renting and don't have space to store your summer tires and wheels, that is also an additional challenge. Also, if the winter is very variable - some days of sudden temperature spikes about 40 - 50 F, then the snow tires are not useful at all. However, if I live up in the mountains or in northern Canada/Alaska, I personally would prefer my vehicle outfitted with snow tires through the winter - irrespective of FWD/RWD/AWD.
All Season tires belong to NO Season, I would say! The rubber compound in snow/ice rated tires mate to the ice/snow at freezing temperatures and provide a very impressive stopping distance which in my opinion is the most desired feature in winter driving apart from cornering and handling. I've separate set of tires/wheels combination for my X5 which I swap every season. The BMW dealers give the option of storing the tires at dealership for free if you buy from them. I bought my winter tire/wheels set from Tirerack.com.
Now the combination of AWD with snow tires in winter is the best bet. I've seen many AWD vehicles going off highways or in accidents during snow storm on Route 80. One should know the limitations of AWD and learn how to drive in snow.

I agree with Vineeth! Invest in winter tires esp. if you are in midwest irrespective of FWD/AWD/RWD.
Old 24th March 2013, 22:35   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
I do ... shoes are THE most important mod to any car since that alone determines contact from powertrain to road.

Ask for the best combination though? my Evo 9 with Blizzaks - best of both worlds
What is this with U Mich & Evo/ Sti/ WRX?? Every U Mich guy here has an Evo/ STi/ WRX.

I always wanted to ask a Umich guy that.

Most guys from other colleges are into 328xi's, 335xi's, 4 Matic merc's , G35x/37x etc. Not like they don't buy WRX/Evo, but the percentage is very low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The writer is talking about cornering on a slippery surface. You have to be, ummm, a really novice driver to push your car's cornering ability when there is snow on the road! There is no amount of technology that can take care of that amount of stupidity.
Even an expert driver can misjudge the traction on a snowy road, in a corner.

Last edited by Jomz : 24th March 2013 at 22:43.
Old 25th March 2013, 09:22   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
What is this with U Mich & Evo/ Sti/ WRX?? Every U Mich guy here has an Evo/ STi/ WRX.

Most guys from other colleges are into 328xi's, 335xi's, 4 Matic merc's , G35x/37x etc. Not like they don't buy WRX/Evo, but the percentage is very low.
Not all UMich guys, just the real mechies :P - Evo's are just the best cars for the money, thts'all. No other cars compete at the level an Evo can and even STi's can't match the moddability quotient beyond 350-400whp. For $25k-$35k (stock wif basic bolt-on mods), you're competing wif $100k cars like 911s and Vettes.
Forget 328s & 335s, even M3's don't come close to the capability (and you pay, pay and pay if anything breaks). And then there's the everyday usability of a small 4-door family sedan and ofcourse amazing 25mpg 4 cyl machine

I guess Chamal started the trend in '08 since his monster car was the fastest craft in Columbus? I owned an M5 first, found it a boat for track use, switched to a Prelude and after a year of trackdays upgraded to the Evo.

And you should chk out Purdue's monied gang - there's 3 Evos 2 GTR's,.....
Old 25th March 2013, 09:52   #2347
BHPian

Quote:

Even an expert driver can misjudge the traction on a snowy road, in a corner.
Most teens and university students are into Evo, STI, WRX and now probably into BRZ, FRS and earlier into Supra, Integra all with mods. There's vast after market mods available for these cars. Rich kids might end up into 3 series but then go for mods too. Haven't really come across and student with Infiniti's!!
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 14:38   #2348
BHPian

Quote:

I guess Chamal started the trend in '08 since his monster car was the fastest craft in Columbus? I owned an M5 first, found it a boat for track use, switched to a Prelude and after a year of trackdays upgraded to the Evo.

And you should chk out Purdue's monied gang - there's 3 Evos 2 GTR's,.....
Chamal totalled his Evo. Some stupid semi driver cut him off. He now drives an RSX type S ( his wife's).
It is true that many drivers were persuaded to buy an evo after a drive in that car. That car was a monster- here is a video of him v/s a Z06 on track

There are 2 GTR's in Cummins?? Never seen those.

Last edited by Jomz : 25th March 2013 at 14:49.
Old 25th March 2013, 18:52   #2349
BHPian

Quote:

Chamal totalled his Evo. Some stupid semi driver cut him off. He now drives an RSX type S ( his wife's).
It is true that many drivers were persuaded to buy an evo after a drive in that car. That car was a monster- here is a video of him v/s a Z06 on track

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=asNC2w2kjTk

There are 2 GTR's in Cummins?? Never seen those.
Is it true that pickup's (Dodge RAM's) with Cummins engines are given parking preference at the front in Cummins?

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 25th March 2013 at 18:54.
Old 25th March 2013, 18:57   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Is it true that pickup's (Dodge RAM's) with Cummins engines are given parking preference at the front in Cummins?
Nope, no such thing. First come, first served parking. Anyone can park anywhere and they don't have the Big 3 style unions that would have you park a non-Ford in a separate parking lot far from the general office buildings at Ford, etc.
Old 25th March 2013, 19:42   #2351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post

Thanks for the comments, added pics to the garage. Here's one with the black and white treatment
Congrats Meghan! Haven't driven a Eco-boost yet. Is there a noticeable Turbo lag in your ST? My home builder ditched his V8 F150 and and got a F150 Eco-Boost. He's fine with pickup and towing capacity and more importantly happy with MPG.
Old 25th March 2013, 20:52   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Quote:
Nope, no such thing. First come, first served parking. Anyone can park anywhere and they don't have the Big 3 style unions that would have you park a non-Ford in a separate parking lot far from the general office buildings at Ford, etc.

Actually Yes..... In the Tech centre in both parking lots, The first row is for Cummins powered vehicles only.

Last edited by Jomz : 25th March 2013 at 20:53.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 00:15   #2353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
@meghan: car looks hot! Congrats!

@gandhi: me from San Jose too. If you are planning a meetup count me in!
Count me in. Me too in San Jose ~ Santa Clara.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:18   #2354
BHPian

Quote:
Actually Yes..... In the Tech centre in both parking lots, The first row is for Cummins powered vehicles only.
Jomz: I'm assuming RAM truck engines are the smallest ones made by Cummins; correct me if I'm wrong! I haven't seen any other pickups in US using cummins engines. Almost every RAM truck I've seen have " CUMMINS POWER" stickers in bold and they are really proud of it.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:40   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Count me in. Me too in San Jose ~ Santa Clara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

@gandhi: me from San Jose too. If you are planning a meetup count me in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
EDIT: Now I see your location on your handle. I'm in San Jose. We guys in/near Bay Area should do a small team-bhp meet.
How about we guys meet in Napa in June-July on a Saturday. We can do a small meet at Lake Berryessa or Lake Hennessey in Napa or anywhere in Sonoma (Raceway?)

That way, it will be a nice drive for you guys from Bay Area and me from Sacramento. And needless to say, the road is awesome with good amount of highway and twisties thrown in, so it would do the car and driver good.

If its something to explore, let me know, we can start a meeting thread in team-bhp meets section.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks