Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 20:37   #2311
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Red color cars are typically cop magnets.
Oh, Never knew that. I counted atleast 6 Red color STs in my parking lot.
Does that mean you get frequently pulled over or you will get ticketed more frequetly if you are marginally above speed limit?
Old 21st March 2013, 20:44   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Does that mean you get frequently pulled over or you will get ticketed more frequetly if you are marginally above speed limit?
Neither of that maybe true. But I remember reading insurance and police statistics that you are likely to be more noticeable for law enforcement in a crowd if you have a bright red car.

Usually sportier cars look more prominent in bright colors. Also, they have louder exhausts than regular cars. All this make them more visible to anybody trying to catch traffic offenders. So while you may not be at fault, you are still more visible and audible than the rest of the crowd.
Old 21st March 2013, 21:10   #2313
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats Meghan!! Hands down, the best car in the segment.
Any reasons for not going for the Tangerine or Red color?
Chose the silver because I liked it and there werent many cars with the package I wanted available. Also I thought the red or tangerine were loud and the other reasons that have been mentioned here were also on my mind
Old 21st March 2013, 21:51   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post
Chose the silver because I liked it and there werent many cars with the package I wanted available. Also I thought the red or tangerine were loud and the other reasons that have been mentioned here were also on my mind
Hi meghan - congrats on your Focus ST. Wishing you many many happy miles ahead .

Would you mind sharing the cost?

Thanks!
Old 22nd March 2013, 03:42   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
My cousin got a ticket for turning on red without a complete stop in Seattle. She got a picture and a link to online video of her committing the violation
In violation description, it was clearly mentioned that one has to stop for at least 3 seconds before turning on red.

I feel DMV s here in US are pretty tech savvy and legit and one has bleak chances of gaining anything by contesting.
Voila! I also got 2 pictures taken 1 second apart and the full video of the event of me turning right on a RED near Schaumburg in Chicago. I almost stopped as I always do at right turns (but speed didn't become 0) and also it happened just about 1 second after the light turned RED as I can see from the time stamp in the picture. Ended up paying $120. That is when I learnt about the 3 second rule. I also heard from my colleagues that IL state is really using this as a means to earn money for the state as most people are unaware of this rule.

Interesting fact here is that we were going for a team lunch and the video has my colleague's Chevy Trailblazer following me also cutting the same RED. Well, she didn't get a ticket. For me, it turned out to be a $120 lunch
Old 22nd March 2013, 04:29   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ended up getting a 2013 Focus ST and loving it!
Thanks for the suggestions
Congratulations Meghan! Enjoy your ride and post some pics!

Quote:
Red color cars are typically cop magnets. On top of that, If you are driving a full fledged performance car (which the Focus ST is supposed to be), you could be attracting a lot of law enforcement attention. I think the color choice Meghan has made is quite smart
Arre baba aisa nahi hai! This is just a myth.

Quote:
Neither of that maybe true. But I remember reading insurance and police statistics that you are likely to be more noticeable for law enforcement in a crowd if you have a bright red car.
See this link:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp
Cops, as well as insurance companies deny this. And some dude did his own survey also to back this up.

Here is another link:
http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/13/car...iolations.html

Seems Camry and Merc Benz SL are quite popular when it comes to getting tickets!

And this one is from einsurance
http://www.einsurance.com/journal/ti...s-for-red-car/

So please stop scaring me!!

And Chevelle too. He has a red Corvette! You cant get sportier than that!

By the way, i saw a black corvette pulled over in the opposite lane when coming back from NYC today!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 05:00   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, this thread is really active! My posts searching for a car have already disappeared under a lot of pages

Congrats on the purchase. One of the few fwds i like.

Post your ownership report when you have time. Also let us know your driving experience.

Quote:
Red color cars are typically cop magnets. On top of that, If you are driving a full fledged performance car (which the Focus ST is supposed to be), you could be attracting a lot of law enforcement attention. I think the color choice Meghan has made is quite smart
This way, he blends well with the rest of the Ford Focus crowd

And @DexterMorgan - the Focus ST only comes in a manual version.
Honestly, its not true that red cars get more tickets. Amitoj summed it up brilliant. Its a myth.

OTOH, i read in LEO's thread in Dodge forum that beater cars are most likely to be caught for speeding and are handed out most tickets. They say powerful sports cars are driving by experienced people and they drive it safe. Weird but quite true as i have observed. Hardly anyone here driving 911/Vette/Lambo is speeding from what i have observed in bay area and surroundings. Could be a different scenario elsewhere.

I am of the opinion that if the car has even a little bit of sporting pretensions, it should in a livelier color - green, orange, red, yellow, black not some run of the mill kind color like silver. Its entirely my opinion so don't beat me on it.

Quote:
Nah, i don't think so. If you are flowing with the traffic, you won't be ticketed based on color of the car. But if you are cutting in and out of traffic at marginally above speed limit, chances are, you will get one.

Quote:

Usually sportier cars look more prominent in bright colors. Also, they have louder exhausts than regular cars. All this make them more visible to anybody trying to catch traffic offenders. So while you may not be at fault, you are still more visible and audible than the rest of the crowd.
The louder exhausts is a negative when going on city streets rather than highway. I have noticed my Vettes stock exhaust is not at all louder at cruising speeds (65-70mph). But at lower speeds, take it past 2k rpm, it has great growl to it which sometimes have me worried because if a cop is around, he/she may think i am trying to race or going above the limit than normal.

If that is the case, more civics should get tickets as i see lots of farting tin-cans hanging onto civics here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Seems Camry and Merc Benz SL are quite popular when it comes to getting tickets!

So please stop scaring me!!

And Chevelle too. He has a red Corvette! You cant get sportier than that!

By the way, i saw a black corvette pulled over in the opposite lane when coming back from NYC today!
Thanks for the link and i agree. Its all a myth. I was a caught speeding while in camry only so atleast half of what you said is true already for me. Its good i got rid of it.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd March 2013 at 06:34. Reason: only 2 smileys per post please, thanks
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 06:13   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Honestly, its not true that red cars get more tickets. Amitoj summed it up brilliant. Its a myth.
Folks, not trying to scare anyone here . Which is why I said "may be" etc. a few times.
There are some studies out there that claim the opposite too. I personally don't like to believe it. In fact, from what I have seen, most of the cars pulled over are generally old rattling near break down cars. However, in general in what is mostly a group of grey/silver/black/white you will spot reds and yellows more.
That said, red cars are about 10% of all sales, so even if the number of LEO's pulling over red cars is 10%, statisticians could say you are 50% more likely to get caught in a red car than in any other car. Which is what I remember reading. It's just (mis) representation of statistics, I suppose.
Checkout America's favorite colors - Car sales - color distribution
I personally like cars in black/white/blue.

And yes, the worst exhaust noises are the tin can Civics/Sentras/Accords. Of course the best are the big v8's. I often see a RS4 with the 4.2 v8. What a supremely sweet sounding engine!

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 22nd March 2013 at 06:15.
Old 22nd March 2013, 19:29   #2319
BHPian

The internet is rife with studies on color to personality correlations, and based on those, there is ample speculation that a person attracted to the color red:

* Likes to be the center of attention (some go as far as saying red lovers crave attention).
* Is ambitious and competitive.
* Is energetic.
* Is impulsive.
* Patience is not one of his strong points.
* Have a strong need for power and control .
* Can be aggressive and easy to anger.
* Can be quite determined when he wants something.
- So on and so forth.

I am no psychologist nor am I an expert in colors, but most of the red-lovers' personality traits above do point towards potential traffic tickets

Of course, there are many like me who'd buy the red car just because it is cheaper than the black one...whats under the hood matters, not the drapery. I'm naturally attracted to blue, by the way, but the last blue thing I owned was in 2003. So in all probability blue lovers lack loyalty...hehe.
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:30   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, this thread is really active! My posts searching for a car have already disappeared under a lot of pages

Congratulations!! Great choice!

But c'mon all we get to see is the tiny avatar pic? Post pics man!
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:54   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
I'm naturally attracted to blue, by the way, but the last blue thing I owned was in 2003. So in all probability blue lovers lack loyalty...hehe.
Actually, is one of the traits of blue lovers, the lack of loyalty? I personally love blue (probably over black and white), but have never bought a blue car, for eg. I have however booked and cancelled one in the past in blue color!

Anyways, I think we should put this topic to rest!

And, Meghan - we need a proper garage set of pics man.. After all, the color choice of your car initiated so much discussion! Also - we definitely need a little initial ownership review.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 22nd March 2013 at 20:56.
Old 22nd March 2013, 22:43   #2322
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations. That's an awesome car. Do post some photos.
Old 23rd March 2013, 00:31   #2323
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys

Yesterday geico emailed me one of the marketing emails to review my coverage and increase it if needed. One thing that they mentioned is, my collision coverage is only 5k, meaning geico will pay only upto 5k if I happen to hit another car and total it.

Just out of curiosity I logged in and changed it to 25k and calculated new premuim, it went up only like $5 per month! I remember it was way more at the time of taking insurance (a year back).

Of course I changed it .

Just thought of sharing, in case others like me moved to US newly and have low coverage initially - you may want to try changing it and see how much it goes up.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 23rd March 2013 at 00:32.
Old 23rd March 2013, 00:58   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Hey guys

Yesterday geico emailed me one of the marketing emails to review my coverage and increase it if needed. One thing that they mentioned is, my collision coverage is only 5k, meaning geico will pay only upto 5k if I happen to hit another car and total it.

Just out of curiosity I logged in and changed it to 25k and calculated new premuim, it went up only like $5 per month! I remember it was way more at the time of taking insurance (a year back).

Of course I changed it .

Just thought of sharing, in case others like me moved to US newly and have low coverage initially - you may want to try changing it and see how much it goes up.
I was thinking that no matter what car you crash into, it has to be covered by your policy if you are at fault! The collision coverage limit should be for your car, again if you are at fault!

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 23rd March 2013 at 01:10.
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:46   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
I was thinking that no matter what car you crash into, it has to be covered by your policy if you are at fault! The collision coverage limit should be for your car, again if you are at fault!
Apparently not. This one is listed under "Property damage liability" and that applies to causing damage to other vehicles or other property. That has a limit set on it, which was previously set to 5k.

The one listed under "Collision" covers damage to my vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks