Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 10:23   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Thanks folks, Looking at paying up as i dont wanna take a day off to go, need to call tomorrow and check on the amount of points which i may get on my DL.

Radar detector is on my radar. Should get one but i noticed i dont speed much as in 10 over, but better safe than sorry. Missed a couple of cops on the way to and from vegas usually.
Old 20th March 2013, 14:42   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Radar detectors are illegal in Ontario, Canada and some other states of Canada. And just keeping it unplugged and non-operational in your car is not enough. It has to be out of the car otherwise you will get fined.

By the way, radar detectors are useless if the cops are using their speed guns in burst mode.
Old 20th March 2013, 20:42   #2283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Thanks folks, Looking at paying up as i dont wanna take a day off to go, need to call tomorrow and check on the amount of points which i may get on my DL.
You won't get points for a speed-cam ticket.
Points are added to the driver's license, not the car. The license plate is all the camera targets.
They can't add points as anybody could have been driving when the picture was clicked.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:09   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
You won't get points for a speed-cam ticket.
Points are added to the driver's license, not the car. The license plate is all the camera targets.
They can't add points as anybody could have been driving when the picture was clicked.
That makes sense, But I remember a friend got a ticket for turning at red and camera caught him. He had to take a defensive course, I reckon it was since he had a point.
May be he should have contested it or may be he went in person to pay and the judge decided he better take a session
Old 20th March 2013, 21:14   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
That makes sense, But I remember a friend got a ticket for turning at red and camera caught him. He had to take a defensive course, I reckon it was since he had a point.
May be he should have contested it or may be he went in person to pay and the judge decided he better take a session
I took a right turn on red and i got a ticket in the mail as camera caught me. It did add a point to my history and was denied any defensive driving because i had taken one <18 months back for speeding ticket.

Even i have this feeling that i should have contested. For you, the amount is small so it may not make sense to let go a day off work and fight. I had to pony up $500.

Last edited by chevelle : 20th March 2013 at 21:15.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:27   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I took a right turn on red and i got a ticket in the mail as camera caught me.
Aren't you allowed to take right turns on red in most places if you come to a stop, check for cross traffic and go? There are some signals where it is explicitly prohibited, that is a different issue.

I was seeing news channels talking about traffic and speed camera's dishing out false tickets by the dozens everyday in some cities. Cities see that as a source of revenue. So every time you do get such a traffic ticket, make sure it is legitimate. There maybe merit in contesting a ticket if it appears to be false.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:30   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I took a right turn on red and i got a ticket in the mail as camera caught me. It did add a point to my history and was denied any defensive driving because i had taken one <18 months back for speeding ticket.

Even i have this feeling that i should have contested. For you, the amount is small so it may not make sense to let go a day off work and fight. I had to pony up $500.
Ya the tickets are expensive in CA aint they
One friend got some $180 or so for speeding in 405 near San Diego, and I remember getting for $75 for speeding in a remote highway in Idaho.

BTW does anyone know how to check the driving record? Like I want to see if my DL has any points on it.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:34   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW does anyone know how to check the driving record? Like I want to see if my DL has any points on it.
Illinois motor vehicles department has a process to get the driving record.
Purchase driving record abstract - Illinois DMV

Am sure most of the tech savvy DMV's have some of this information on their websites. Point is, the DMV is a good place to get your driving record.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:45   #2289
BHPian

Guys, I don't think there is a need to panic since you got a few points on your record.

I have an unreasonable speed ticket- was racing a collegue in a Gti with my s2000, till the speed limit of 45 from a red light, we both were at the speed limit- and my insurance has not gone up yet. I can see 2 points on the Indiana BMV thing, but my insurance has not got that information by the time it was due for renewal after 5 months. My insurance policy shows the surcharges for tickets and it still has my old ticket surcharges only. I don't really mind those because the surcharges are like $9 a month.

I have heard that ( rumor only), insurance companies check your driving record only when you make a change in the policy. It costs them to check the driving record & they have been instructed to check only when a policy change is made or something suspicious is happening.

I might be wrong on this though.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:47   #2290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Aren't you allowed to take right turns on red in most places if you come to a stop, check for cross traffic and go? There are some signals where it is explicitly prohibited, that is a different issue.
A lot of places, yes.

In NYC (all 5 boroughs), you are not allowed, except where mentioned - I think 3 / 4 places.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:59   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
A lot of places, yes.

In NYC (all 5 boroughs), you are not allowed, except where mentioned - I think 3 / 4 places.
Luckily, most places I have lived in so far, right turn on red is allowed unless explicitly disallowed. I guess NYC with its heavier volume of traffic would rather disallow this than allow this. However I have seen several people take right turn when the signal is red and it is "not allowed" signal, purely out of habit.
Old 20th March 2013, 22:14   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Guys, specially those from NYC area, could you please help me out?
I need to make a quick trip to the Indian Consulate in NYC tomorrow. Where do you guys suggest i should park? I will be in that area for almost the entire day.
Old 20th March 2013, 22:20   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
Luckily, most places I have lived in so far, right turn on red is allowed unless explicitly disallowed. I guess NYC with its heavier volume of traffic would rather disallow this than allow this. However I have seen several people take right turn when the signal is red and it is "not allowed" signal, purely out of habit.
Infact the ticket was in Chicago(or should I say suburb ) at Willow Rd & S Waukegan Rd. It is a photo enforced signal with no Turn on red
Old 20th March 2013, 22:22   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Infact the ticket was in Chicago(or should I say suburb ) at Willow Rd & S Waukegan Rd. It is a photo enforced signal with no Turn on red
Tough luck man ! Did you not see the no turn on red? Some places have "No turn on red" in big font and "when pedestrians are present in the crosswalk" in really small font below. The main message gets through. This no turn on red policy is imposed on very busy intersections or where it is difficult to see cross traffic because of the angle of the intersection or other obstructions.
Old 20th March 2013, 22:23   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was seeing news channels talking about traffic and speed camera's dishing out false tickets by the dozens everyday in some cities. Cities see that as a source of revenue. So every time you do get such a traffic ticket, make sure it is legitimate. There maybe merit in contesting a ticket if it appears to be false.
Yes, right turn on red is allowed provided you do a complete stop, wait and then go. In my case, i took that turn at 15 mph at 2 am.

When i got the ticket, i did make sure it was legit and all data checked. I was planning to fight it in court but i came across red light camera rule that if the speed is <11mph, you may not get a ticket. Mine was at 15mph so i didn't have any chance to fight it. Even my photo was clear so i couldn't claim it was somebody else. I tried to think of other ways but it was dead end at all times. I ended up paying the amount.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks