Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 21:24   #2251
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I logged onto this thread trying to look for a car that's best suited for my use in Denver. Yes, it snows real bad there and so does the heat beat you down during the summers. After all the recent posts, I'm thinking whether this would a be a good chance to own and ride a few 600ccs out there. I ll save it up for later.

At this point, I think I'll be in Denver for the next 3 years or so. Renting cars just for the weekends is not going to prove economical for sure. Although I do have a fantasy of making a road trip with my wife in a rented open-top Camaro! Talk about the fantasies petrolheads have huh? lol..
Whether Denver or New England, a good set of winter tires even on a two wheel drive (either FWD or RWD) is sufficient to see you through. My point is, AWD or not, sensible driving is indispensable. At the outset of each winter, you'll find more 4WD trucks and SUV's in the ditches than anything else.

Define 'good' a bit more specifically, because you are in a car buyers paradise here, where there is something for absolutely everyone (with some exceptions like the Alfa Romeo that VLOCT is craving for). Is Good = fuel efficient, or = reliable, or = sporty, or =luxurious, or =powerful, or =better resale quotient, or a combination of some of these? If you know what you want, I am sure there are many experienced users here who can give you apt suggestions. Else, be ready for a suggestion overload (hehe).

As for the Maruti/Ford-GM analogy, unless you are buying something really exquisite, servicing and maintenance is usually not an issue. Denver is a metro, so I am sure it has enough servicing outlets for all/most consumer vehicle brands.

As for how much to spend, I am a believer in the value of used vehicles. Unless you have the dough to spend, and you insist on the new car smell in the interior, I see no reason why a 2/3/4/5 year old vehicle isn't a good option. I'd suggest getting a reasonably priced first car, (something that won't dent your earnings much), while simultaneously scanning and testing vehicles as and when you can. You are sure to find a fit for your soul. Do not be surprised if an relatively unknown Buick Regal GS blows your mind over the other well known brands and models That's just my opinion. On the flip side, there are a few mavericks who'd rather listen to their heart and go for what appeals to them ....works well that way too (like Amitoj who jumped right away to a monster V8. I remember he was convinced on a Toyota Tundra truck for himself, after which he eventually opted for even more horsepower in the Hemi Charger).

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th March 2013 at 23:17. Reason: Pelase quote selectively as long quoted posts cause inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
NinadJoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 23:15   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I can only tell you from my own limited experience. The AWD charger's 40:60 power split between front and rear has helped me drive through this year's winter on all season tires without any issue. Couple of weeks back, there was a huge snow storm and i was on my way to work. In front of me, a hyundai sonata got stuck climbing a minor slope with some ice on it. I was literally sweating watching him struggle, full of apprehension on how my car would fare. To my surprise, i made it through without even the traction light coming on!
True, a heavier car would always be more helpful in snow. Feel respect for the Cops in their RWD Crown Victorias and all season's.

And they have to drive to emergencies Even in blizzard conditions.
Jomz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 00:07   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

Have you considered Gixxer 650?
Heh, Infact No. I had set me eyes either on R6/ 600RR/Street Triple.
I have taken the bike home with me now. The deal is, if I can live with it for the next 2 weeks including office trips and the weekend commute. I will keep the bike .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Toro, check desicolumbus.com
Thanks Jomzi checked, but none listed at the moment.
Old 19th March 2013, 00:09   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
(like Amitoj who jumped right away to a monster V8. I remember he was convinced on a Toyota Tundra truck for himself, after which he eventually opted for even more horsepower in the Hemi Charger).
LOL. I think i went through the whole range there. I was at one point, also combing through autotrader.com looking for used vehicles. That was before i walked into DCU, who were kind enough to lend me the money i needed for a new car.

Quote:
And they have to drive to emergencies Even in blizzard conditions.
Yup. The LEOs here are really well trained!

I recently spotted a Ford Interceptor belonging to the Merrimack PD, and i believe they are AWDs. With Crown Vics out of production, any idea what is the new favourite among the cops? There was some toss up between Ford Interceptor, Chevy Caprice and Charger, but I am not sure who is leading the race right now.
Old 19th March 2013, 00:30   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
With Crown Vics out of production, any idea what is the new favourite among the cops? There was some toss up between Ford Interceptor, Chevy Caprice and Charger, but I am not sure who is leading the race right now.
I think the charger is now the hot favorite. I haven't seen anything else out here new other than chargers and one lone Impala.

But for the guys running between Louisville and Indianapolis on I-65, there are 2-3 Unmarked Mustangs patrolling that stretch. I believe they are Indiana State police.

Pic follows.

http://www.sspmustang.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12925
I've seen this one and a magenta one.
Jomz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 00:36   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But for the guys running between Louisville and Indianapolis on I-65, there are 2-3 Unmarked Mustangs patrolling that stretch. I believe they are Indiana State police.
Wow! There is no running away from that one!
By the way, are those tints on the Mustang legal in Indiana? They look pretty dark to me in the pics.
Old 19th March 2013, 00:54   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, are those tints on the Mustang legal in Indiana? They look pretty dark to me in the pics.

I don't know. They might be illegal, But who is gonna ticket the state cop??
Old 19th March 2013, 01:06   #2258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know. They might be illegal, But who is gonna ticket the state cop??
Thankfully I don't have to drive through I65 anymore! My family moved to Dallas .
Anyway the tint maybe to hide the equipment inside from easy view for outsiders.
I also see a lot of chargers in the new purchases. Chevy's Caprice PPV is another car in that segment - haven't yet seen one in the flesh. Ford is supplying Tauruses for cop cars. The really rich cities have Tahoe/Suburbans also as police vehicles.

There is a company who only want to manufacture cop cars - Carbon motors - based near Indianapolis. Has anyone seen any of their cars?
Carbon Motors
Old 19th March 2013, 01:07   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
With Crown Vics out of production, any idea what is the new favourite among the cops? There was some toss up between Ford Interceptor, Chevy Caprice and Charger, but I am not sure who is leading the race right now.
Whoever is in the lead, I wish it was Carbon Motor's E7.

Some info & pics:
(1) http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...e-to-probable/
(2) http://jalopnik.com/5969059/carbon-m...tic-police-van
(3) http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...power-car-news

Looks great and very purpose built. Unfortunately the second link seems to say they're put their own offering on the backburner.

Quote:
Oh yes there is -> the right car on the right roads!

Quote:
The tints are legal if they're on a police cruiser
Old 19th March 2013, 08:28   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Oh nice, Talking about tickets so i got one by mail today. Was a speed cam which caught me doing a 62 on a 50 in the phx area!

So i have 3 options:
Contest
Pay up 219 bucks
Take a defensive driving course.

Thinking of option two but i need to figure out how many points i will get on my license and is a defensive driving a better option?
Old 19th March 2013, 08:54   #2261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Oh nice, Talking about tickets so i got one by mail today. Was a speed cam which caught me doing a 62 on a 50 in the phx area!

So i have 3 options:
Contest
Pay up 219 bucks
Take a defensive driving course.

Thinking of option two but i need to figure out how many points i will get on my license and is a defensive driving a better option?
If you have time then take option 3! It might save you on insurance on the long run and ticket on the short! Have you thought of investing on a nice radar detector?
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 17:30   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Typically somebody who is FOB(Fresh on Board) will have lots of expenditures.

There is a big If to all these again, if you are a petrol head and love cars, you will ignore all the financial considerations and then go get yourself a good car and forget about the financial worries .
I had wanted to sequence this better, but am in a meeting now, will try to put this in a logic order later.
Before anything else.. I must admit that you have a talent to really put things in order and perspective even while in a meeting.

I totally hear your point, and yes am a FOB with a bit of a twist. The wife is already there since about 3 months and getting settled down with her job and apartment and DL and SSN.. SO, the groundwork is done and we need a car. Considering we LOVE cars, we'd like to make that purchase ASAP. Then again - I prefer getting something that's a SECOND HAND, Pre-worshipped that has already gone past it's initial depreciation period.

Having said that, I'm ONLY strictly trying to avoid those 7th/8th-HAND Hyundais or Toyotas that have passed hands from fellow countrymen to fellow FOB countrymen for roughly about 2500$.

But, thanks again for helping me ensure that I have my foot clear and firm in the ground before I move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
My point is, AWD or not, sensible driving is indispensable. At the outset of each winter, you'll find more 4WD trucks and SUV's in the ditches than anything else.

Define 'good' a bit more specifically, because you are in a car buyers paradise here,
Thanks for putting the things in perspective here indeed. I should have known..Lol.

When I say GOOD - I refer to build quality, a relatively new engine technology that's not so easily affordable here in India, service costs that won't eat into all the earnings, and something that appeals a bit more to the heart than the head.

I am easily carried away by the V8s and the HEMIs that you're referring to but I'll keep them away for the initial days. Those exotics are better rented than owned IMO.

Quote:
Anyway, you have not mentioned your budget. Or did i miss it somewhere?
OOPSIE... big miss there. Say, about 12k - 18k!

THANKS guys...
Old 19th March 2013, 17:57   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
I totally hear your point, and yes am a FOB with a bit of a twist. The wife is already there since about 3 months and getting settled down with her job and apartment and DL and SSN..
You are all set bro.. Happy hunting. Autotrader,cars.com, Craiglist-CL would be your best friends. You have tonnes of options in your price range. Since you are in for the long haul try to get a car with <40k miles and < 3years old.

Again, visit the dealers as there will be lease return cars, and typically they would be 3 years old and the odo would be < 35k and cars would be Very well maintained. If you want to play safe, there is always the Toyota/Honda/Subaru certified car programs.

Have fun!!
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 19:11   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for putting the things in perspective here indeed. I should have known..Lol.

When I say GOOD - I refer to build quality, a relatively new engine technology that's not so easily affordable here in India, service costs that won't eat into all the earnings, and something that appeals a bit more to the heart than the head.
Step-1: If you haven't already, start being a regular on some great resources like Edmunds, KBB, Cars.com, Autotrader and even EBay, not with the intention of buying but just for acclimatizing yourself. There is a ton of info, data, reviews and studies out there that can help you make an informed decision.

Step 1.5 - Simultaneously start going to nearby dealerships and used car outlets to test drive a few vehicles that strike you from Autotrader, Craigslist and Cars.com's local listings.

Step 1.75 - Start building your cache, and scanning loan rates. When you are ready, you may need to do a down payment and plan for monthly payments at the most convenient rates. Also be aware of insurance costs. Seemingly harmless vehicles can cost more to insure...an ugly old Nissan Maxima gets considered as a sport sedan and costs much more to insure than the equally ugly Camry. Do dry runs on online insurance sites or actually contact a nearby human insurance agent to get an idea of how much it would cost to insure un-bought vehicles that you liked in your research. Insurance is a mandatory scam, and no one can escape it. You can however be smart and pay only what you should absolutely pay. I'm sure there is enough expertise available in this forum on how to optimally insure vehicles.

Step 2: Make an offer on some vehicles you liked during steps 1 and 1.5. Making an offer is one of the most difficult part of buying a vehicles, because most of us are not good negotiators...and when faced with a well primed car salesman, we are like Zimbabwe playing South Africa in a cricket match. But take relief in the fact that as long as your offer is reasonable (and educated), there are good chances of it being accepted, give or take a few.

Step 3: Do not buy in a haste if your offers get accepted in step 2 Car salesmen are trained artistes who want you to (and may well make you) sign something right there and then. Also, you have no reason not to play two or more dealers for your car. Only buy what you like at the price you feel is (rationally) appropriate for it.

Step 4: Buy. If you are religious, go to a nearby temple and have the Priest perform a pooja for your car's health and long life. That you will crave for another car in less than 11 months is something you could ignore at this point of time.

Step 5: Enjoy your vehicle. Accept the fact that a used vehicle will come with a bit of here-and-there expenses, which still works out better than paying many thousands more for a new one. Practically any vehicle manufactured in the past 5/6 years is good to last until you get bored with it, as long as you give it the due attention and care.

Step 6: After a year (or two or three), you will crave for a new car in your life. That is a given. In that case simply dunk what you bought in step 4 on Craigslist or cart it back to the dealer, or list it on Autotrader, and go back to step-1. The fun is in the hunt, as they say.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 19th March 2013 at 19:20.
NinadJoshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 20:49   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OOPSIE... big miss there. Say, about 12k - 18k!

THANKS guys...
You have a reasonably good budget. You should be able to see plenty of cars in that price range. However, I know for one thing, Colorado folks love their Subies and they sell at quite a premium in the used market. So it would be a good idea to look at other brands too.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed