Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2013, 19:53   #2236
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Thanks KW
The color is Black with Grey graphics :(, i am not too happy with the color as i always wanted a Red or White/Blue combo.

KY Registers it for the year unfortunately.

Infact I am heading for the Motorcycle outfits not to try out the helmets.
That's the exact same I did. I wanted a Red, kept ignoring other colors and ended up not buying.

Have you considered Gixxer 650?
Old 16th March 2013, 21:37   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

Does KY register the bike for x months or entire year? If its not entire year, you can pick cheaper insurance for the winter period and comprehensive for summers or the months you will be riding.
Even if the vehicle is registered for an year, I believe you can change to storage insurance in the winter months and comp & coll. in summer. I do that for the s2000.

Toro, check desicolumbus.com , There are quite a few here with bikes and i usually see quite a few on sale. I'm not really into them so I don't know whether one you are looking for is available.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:56   #2238
BHPian

what would be a good choice for a second hand car for a lady at around a price range of $5-6k?

most probably going to keep it for around 3 years!
Old 18th March 2013, 14:44   #2239
BHPian

I logged onto this thread trying to look for a car that's best suited for my use in Denver. Yes, it snows real bad there and so does the heat beat you down during the summers. After all the recent posts, I'm thinking whether this would a be a good chance to own and ride a few 600ccs out there. I ll save it up for later.

At this point, I think I'll be in Denver for the next 3 years or so. Renting cars just for the weekends is not going to prove economical for sure. Although I do have a fantasy of making a road trip with my wife in a rented open-top Camaro! Talk about the fantasies petrolheads have huh? lol..

Before I start, let me declare that I've been spoilt with the quality interiors that VW cars exude, but from all experiences I've read on this thread, I'm trying to keep off that brand as I really do NOT want to be spending "too" much trying to maintain a VW BUT at the same time - would prefer something that matches up in build quality.

My criteria:
1. First n Foremost - I'd like to get a GOOD car and not "just a car" because, my wife and I both LOVE driving, so it's definitely going to be a 50-50 between me and she. So, what I am definitely looking at is those models which are OK to be driven and used by more than one driver. Since, it's going to be an AUTOMATIC, I don't think the multiple driver issue really matters.

2. Denver - ah! The Mountains. That's going a to be a fave spot for camping, skiing and all outdoor activities. Considering the terrain and the extreme weather conditions PLUS we'll be just having ONE CAR - not two, is it NECESSARY that I'd be better off with an AWD ?

3. Like how Marutis are the safer option to own in India, would it be correct to say that a Chevy or a Ford would be cheaper to maintain in the USA? In short, I'm looking at trouble free/minmal- ownership during my short stint there. Once again, I don't want to be getting something with cheap build quality.
Old 18th March 2013, 15:09   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I logged onto this thread trying to look for a car that's best suited for my use in Denver.

Before I start, let me declare that I've been spoilt with the quality interiors that VW cars exude, but from all experiences I've read on this thread, I'm trying to keep off that brand ...

My criteria:
1. First n Foremost - I'd like to get a GOOD car and not "just a car" because, my wife and I both LOVE driving.... Since, it's going to be an AUTOMATIC, I don't think the multiple driver issue really matters.

2. Denver - ah! The Mountains. That's going a to be a fave spot for camping, skiing and all outdoor activities. Considering the terrain and the extreme weather conditions PLUS we'll be just having ONE CAR ...
Consider a Subaru Outback or Forester. These will see you through tons of snow in Winter (with the correct tyres, of course), and are suitable for the camping/fishing/outdoor lifestyle.

Any reason you are adamant about automatic? Not sure if this is correct, but manual cars are less of a thief magnet and have lower insurance premiums than their automatic counterparts.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 18th March 2013 at 15:16. Reason: Added the auto tranny paragraph
Old 18th March 2013, 15:26   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Any reason you are adamant about automatic? Not sure if this is correct, but manual cars are less of a thief magnet and have lower insurance premiums than their automatic counterparts.
Well yes. If it's a car like the Forester, I'd be better off getting a USED car than splurge all money in on a NEW car.

Plus, since my wife and I are both going to use the car - different driving patterns - I'd prefer an automatic than a manual.

Just my way of thought. It could be corrected too..

But thanks for your suggestion. It's a good starting point.
Old 18th March 2013, 17:19   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well yes. If it's a car like the Forester, I'd be better off getting a USED car than splurge all money in on a NEW car.
One thing that should sway you from the used car could be the fact that 2013 Foresters would undergo some sort of mass clearance very soon, the 2014 new forester is already in the showrooms.

While you are at it, get the turbo forester, it would be good in your high altitudes and perform better than a naturally aspirated model.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 18:15   #2243
BHPian

I came on the following offer on Evolution X--

$259pm lease for 24 months with ~3500 initial payment.
Valid only till april 1st
Old 18th March 2013, 18:36   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
While you are at it, get the turbo forester, it would be good in your high altitudes and perform better than a naturally aspirated model.
Thanks Vineeth.

I just checked out some reviews of the turbo XT model and they look sweet. Typical Subaru. Sedate outside. Performer inside.

Any suggestions beyond the Subaru itself? Looks like the Subaru's Symmetrical AWD is a favourite there.

How does the service costs and network of Subaru fare in the USA?

I could consider Hyundai, although I just can't get myself to like the brand, but then again how do they compare with the competitors?

Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to purchasing a new car in the US, so bear with my basic questions please.
Old 18th March 2013, 18:43   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions beyond the Subaru itself? Looks like the Subaru's Symmetrical AWD is a favourite there.
So far my Subaru maintenance costs have been very manageable - just the regular oil changes and stuff (even at a dealer) have only costed 30-50$. The main 30k mile interval services was slightly more expensive. In general, I think cars are a lot more reliable and predictable now and Subaru is no exception. If you take care of the car, they treat you very well .

When I looked for a safe AWD car that my wife could drive and rely on in the New England area, Subaru was my first and foremost choice. My only regret is that I went for the non turbo model because I could not find a turbo in my price range when I was looking for one.

Jomz has quoted some offer on the Mitsubishi Evolution - that is performance AWD for you. Not sure if you are looking for something like that. While it is a really fun car to drive, it is not the most comfortable to live on day to day basis.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 18th March 2013 at 18:44.
Old 18th March 2013, 18:48   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Jomz has quoted some offer on the Mitsubishi Evolution - that is performance AWD for you. Not sure if you are looking for something like that. While it is a really fun car to drive, it is not the most comfortable to live on day to day basis.
And it gives quite bad Mpg on the City/Highway.
How much mpg do you get on the Forester??
Old 18th March 2013, 18:50   #2247
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if you are looking for something like that. While it is a really fun car to drive, it is not the most comfortable to live on day to day basis.
Nope. Definitely not the EVO.

I think I am getting inclined to the Subaru cult following here. For the initial period, I'd prefer reliability to anything else.

Thanks again for that TURBO suggestion. I was under the impression the TURBO was launched on the 2014 models.

Do you have a suggestion as to where I can start looking for reliable USED Subarus? Or do you think approaching the nearest dealer would be the best bet?
Old 18th March 2013, 19:07   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again for that TURBO suggestion. I was under the impression the TURBO was launched on the 2014 models.
?
No, the turbo has been there in the last two generations also. You could go to a used car dealers just to get a feel and price range. Autotrader.com is another great place you can look at. You may get a better deal with private sellers.

My wife drives the forester. With mostly freeway driving in winter she gets 25 mpg. I think it would go up to 26/27 in spring /summer. 19 to 21 in city is usual.

The new forester will be amongst the most fuel efficient small crossovers with all wheel drive.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 19:26   #2249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to purchasing a new car in the US, so bear with my basic questions please.
I can only tell you from my own limited experience. The AWD charger's 40:60 power split between front and rear has helped me drive through this year's winter on all season tires without any issue. Couple of weeks back, there was a huge snow storm and i was on my way to work. In front of me, a hyundai sonata got stuck climbing a minor slope with some ice on it. I was literally sweating watching him struggle, full of apprehension on how my car would fare. To my surprise, i made it through without even the traction light coming on!

Anyway, you have not mentioned your budget. Or did i miss it somewhere?
Old 18th March 2013, 20:11   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
I logged onto this thread trying to look for a car that's best suited for my use in Denver. .
Typically somebody who is FOB(Fresh on Board) will have lots of expenditures - New Apartment (Deposits+First month Rent), Gas+Electricity (Deposits)+Cable/Broadband+Furnitures+Kitchen Stuffs etc etc.. Now if you are coming with your family, the strain is more as you will have to take care of all these immediately and with in 2 weeks.
Now if you have a support structure in place, i.e colleagues already in Denver, then you are good.
When i had come down to Louisville, I had to go through everything alone with zero support.

Now if you are on H1 or L1 with one of the Big Indian MNCs, then your US salary will be borderline, you will need to consider all the above expenditures before you can think about investing on a car. (Monthly EMI+Insurance).
Now, if your company has corporate tie ups with Banks/Credit Unions then you will get very attractive loan rates, else DCU will be your best option.

Your credit history will be the next biggest issue, If you have been to US before and has a credit history then you are set, else your APR will be in 8-9% range. (ofcourse the loan can be refinanced once you build some credit History).
You should look up VLOCTS posts discouraging excessive spend on your first car in US.

My take would be -
a) If your company has a corporate tie up with a rental company , leverage it, you will be able to get a Mid size sedan for around 7$ a day (Insurance paid by your company). Use this for around 2-4 months and then you can look for a good car.

b) Explore the corporate lease plans with your company. Some organizations have very attractive lease tie ups. If your stay is going to be < 3 years, this is your Best option.

c) If a and b are not applicable(i was in this scenario), then there is divided school of thoughts on the first car. If your stay is going to be greater than 3 years then it makes sense to go for a car in the 12-18k$ range else get a beater car that you can use for your office commute and rent yourself a good car for your weekend trips.

There is a big If to all these again, if you are a petrol head and love cars, you will ignore all the financial considerations and then go get yourself a good car and forget about the financial worries .
I had wanted to sequence this better, but am in a meeting now, will try to put this in a logic order later.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 18th March 2013 at 20:18.
ToroRosso is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks