Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 21:45   #2176
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Carrying this over from VLOCT's Corvette log, has anyone here heard of or used QuantumBlue custom engine oil ?
Old 12th March 2013, 00:56   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Carrying this over from VLOCT's Corvette log, has anyone here heard of or used QuantumBlue custom engine oil ?
Not API certified, would stay away.

http://eolcs.api.org/brandSearchResults.aspx

Will definitely void warranty if something breaks.
Old 12th March 2013, 02:37   #2178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I have heard of it. And there are quite a few people out there who swear by them. They have gone as far as averaging 8000 to 9000 miles (some have gone 10k+) on a single oil change and have got really clean oil analysis reports too.

I have not heard of any case of warranty getting void either due to their oil.
Old 12th March 2013, 02:48   #2179
BHPian

Any Venza owners or experiences?

My initial impressions are the V6 is very powerful, great mpg, super luxurious. Lacks SUV feel though

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 12th March 2013 at 02:55.
Old 12th March 2013, 02:54   #2180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Not API certified, would stay away.

Will definitely void warranty if something breaks.
API is just a certification. Pay money, get certified.
A small-scale custom manufacturer will probably prefer not to get certified due to costs.

Just like the Top Tier gasolines. BP isn't on the list even though they manufacture quality fuels because they didn't bother getting certified.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th March 2013 at 02:55.
Old 12th March 2013, 05:23   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
A small-scale custom manufacturer will probably prefer not to get certified due to costs.

Just like the Top Tier gasolines. BP isn't on the list even though they manufacture quality fuels because they didn't bother getting certified.
Agree. An API certification is probably just a good-to-have, but not a mandated quality certification. I see on one hand even 7-Eleven (the slurpy store) has API accredited engine oils, and on the other, the recognized Amsoil doesn't have many of its products API certified. Also, in case of a claim it should be rather difficult for a car company to prove that an unaccredited oil was used in the vehicle, which caused engine issues - unless there is a unique marker chemical in the oil that indicates this came from Amsoil, or 7-Eleven, or BP....which seems like a fantastic idea. (Just my ignorance here).

This Quantum Blue custom blend is pretty much an oil pharmacy where they mix (what they think is) the right blend for your car after an in person interview with you, and then ship the sauce to you. This Brian dude who owns the little company has a pretty hardcore following from what I'm seeing. Was just curious to know if anyone here has used his stuff.
Old 12th March 2013, 06:04   #2182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was just curious to know if anyone here has used his stuff.
It seems to be pretty popular on the Dodge forums. Also, Bob is the Oil Guy might have more information.
Old 12th March 2013, 07:23   #2183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems to be pretty popular on the Dodge forums. Also, Bob is the Oil Guy might have more information.
BITOG guys dont seem to like the blue stuff. Most of them think its just another hack reselling some grade III oil for an outrageous price, without having any first hand experience of it.
But the Dodge guys seem to almost worship it, specially the ones with the SRTs. And I am yet to come across a single person on chargerforums as well as lxforums who has used it and said, "meh!" There are guys whose rides have no other fluid but QuantumBlue!!
I might try it out myself for my next oil change. I checked with the dealership last time i went there for an oil change and they said they will have no problem in me getting my own oil.
Old 12th March 2013, 07:48   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yes I have heard of it. And there are quite a few people out there who swear by them. They have gone as far as averaging 8000 to 9000 miles (some have gone 10k+) on a single oil change and have got really clean oil analysis reports too.

I have not heard of any case of warranty getting void either due to their oil.
If you go to 6k miles + on any oil, and the engine goes bad- Chrysler can blame that on inadequate maintenance.

Chrysler owner manuals state that the engine oil needs to be changed at 6000 miles. For warranty work, you might have to prove that your oil was changed every 6000 miles.

Bob is the oil guy has he following feeling on quantum blue.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2596488

BND is a premium vendor on Charger forums. Maybe that is why they are popular on Charger forums??? I don't know

Somebody who is confident about them please try that. Even I'm looking forward to results.

Quote:

Wrong info.
BP and castrol (BP's oil) are API certified
http://eolcs.api.org/brandSearchResults.aspx

Last edited by Jomz : 12th March 2013 at 08:01.
Old 12th March 2013, 08:21   #2185
BHPian

Btw, just came across the video.

This is how the RAM diesel engine is made.

Old 12th March 2013, 14:39   #2186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you go to 6k miles + on any oil, and the engine goes bad- Chrysler can blame that on inadequate maintenance.

Chrysler owner manuals state that the engine oil needs to be changed at 6000 miles. For warranty work, you might have to prove that your oil was changed every 6000 miles.
I doubt thats how things work here.
The various oil analyses done by QB users show the oil to be still in good condition even after 10K miles. You dont need to prove you get your oil changed every 6K miles for warranty work. The only way your warranty will be denied is if you let your engine oil run really low and let it turn into pure slush. And even then, they need to show that this had directly resulted in the damage to whatever it is you are trying to get done.
Old 12th March 2013, 18:07   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You dont need to prove you get your oil changed every 6K miles for warranty work. The only way your warranty will be denied is if you let your engine oil run really low and let it turn into pure slush. And even then, they need to show that this had directly resulted in the damage to whatever it is you are trying to get done.
Well, if the manufacturer states the maximum mileage between oil changes is 8000, anything above that and something breaks in the engine ( even unrelated to oil), the manufacturer could blame it on the oil change.

From the charger manual

"Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever
comes first."

"The Scheduled Maintenance services listed in this
manual must be done at the times or mileages specified
to protect your vehicle warranty and ensure the best
vehicle performance and reliability"

It doesn't say anything about if UOA is better, keep going or similar.

Btw, I just read QB website more closely, is his oil a mineral oil & he says that is superior than pure synthetic??

Last edited by Jomz : 12th March 2013 at 18:09.
Old 12th March 2013, 18:37   #2188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, if the manufacturer states the maximum mileage between oil changes is 8000, anything above that and something breaks in the engine ( even unrelated to oil), the manufacturer could blame it on the oil change.

Btw, I just read QB website more closely, is his oil a mineral oil & he says that is superior than pure synthetic??
Yeah but it still does not say that your warranty will be denied if you dont use a "recognized" branded oil. It is only recommended to use API certified oil.

Besides, Chrysler warranty runs out after 5 years or 100,000 miles anyway.

That website is the pits, btw. A 10 year old can do a better job of designing a website.
Old 12th March 2013, 18:39   #2189
BHPian

While we are on the subject, I am nearing my oil change and my car is @ 38867 and I will get the oil changed at 39K.

Manufacturer recommended is SAE 5W 20, i am planning to go for Mobil 1. Should i go ahead or stay put with the mineral? My current oil change intervals are every 3K.

Driving conditions - 80% City and 20% Highway
Old 12th March 2013, 18:57   #2190
BHPian

Synthetics can be used any time, no issues (except for the extra $). Your engine is pretty young, but no harm in giving it the better oil if you can afford it.

Does your car computer tell you when to change oil (based on miles between resets and/or % of oil purity), or do you do it every 3K miles regardless ? (These days there is no car that needs an oil change at 3K, to be honest). With the ~triple price you pay for synthetic oil, it will be a waste of money to change synthetic oil every 3K miles. I'd say there is no harm in doubling your oil change interval to 6K with synthetic.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed