Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2009, 23:06   #196
BHPian

Look at Toyota RAV4 V6. Pretty decent vehicle with abt 260HP and you should get a fairly new one in your budget.
A Subaru Legacy / Legacy Outback would be nice but then if you want fast, you are looking at the Turbos and premium gas. Pretty solid cars if that is OK.
Old 15th January 2009, 23:07   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lambo, since you need the car only for 2 odd years, why don't you lease a brand new car? @ $300 - 400 a month, you will get some pretty neat machines. Of course, you will need someone to co-sign you due to the lack of credit history / SSN.
TakeMyPayments.com - lease trader, swap a lease, car lease trades, auto transfers, lease take overs, assume auto lease, assume payments, lease exit, assume a car Lease, swap lease, take over lease payments, Auto Lease Assumption, Break a Lease, Lease
LeaseTrader.com - Car Lease - Lease Assumption - Short Term Leases

Acura TL-S sounds a good buy and suits your requirements.
Old 15th January 2009, 23:08   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Acura TL-S sounds a good buy and suits your requirements.
Insurance would kill him on this one!
Old 15th January 2009, 23:16   #199
Senior - BHPian

Just want to understand how will any other car be different (wrt insurance) than this one in the range Lambo is looking into.

TL-S being a 4-door should be fine considering he is below in the <25 age group.
Old 15th January 2009, 23:56   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hey guys,
time for me to do some research. I am currently in RI, which gets pretty snowy during winters.

Budget is not fixed but estimate it to be lower than $20,000 for sure.
It is mostly going to be used as I don't have a S.S. number and only require on for 2.5 years.

I was thinking of something like the Chrager RT. But looking at the financial crisis the big 3 are facing, I don't know if it will be such a good idea.
The RWD Charger will be difficult in snow and you'll have to spend more on a set of snow tyres or a wheel-tyre package. Also you won't get a new R/T for $20k.

Try a used (2007) Subaru Legacy sedan. You'll definitely get a good one within your budget, though the Spec B might still be out of reach. The Subaru looks ho-hum, but it drives surprisingly well, and you'll get a good insurance rate, a great AWD system and lower rating than an Imprezza WRX.
I would suggest a used VW Passat but you'll need to get it thoroughly checked out because some owner's have complained of electrical problems in the past few years.

For the heck of it, I'm also going to suggest a Pontiac G6. The rear space isn't murderous for a tall chap, as in a Civic or a Jetta, and you'll get it for well within your budget. It's alright to drive too. Advantage of an American car is that, they have specials running for students, so you can get a good deal on a brand new car, with low insurance.

I'm sure you're already aware of these but for lower insurance rates try to look for a car that has DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) and AWD, or FWD.
ABS and TC reduce rates even further but not all older models offered these, and might be elusive within your budget.

An Acura falls within the premium segment, and will be expensive to insure compared to a Honda.
Old 16th January 2009, 05:35   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

For the heck of it, I'm also going to suggest a Pontiac G6. The rear space isn't murderous for a tall chap, as in a Civic or a Jetta, and you'll get it for well within your budget. It's alright to drive too. Advantage of an American car is that, they have specials running for students, so you can get a good deal on a brand new car, with low insurance.
Pontiac G6? Alright to drive? When I had one for a week, I hated that car, the steering felt it wasn't connected to the wheels. Brakes were mushy as well and this was almost brand new. Only thing I liked about it was it's looks and the remote start option.
Old 16th January 2009, 07:47   #202
BHPian

TL-S, A6 4.2, VW GTI, G35..

You will get nice deals on the a6 4.2 without much searching..
Old 16th January 2009, 08:31   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
TL-S, A6 4.2, VW GTI, G35..

You will get nice deals on the a6 4.2 without much searching..
Guys I don't know how US works but for a new driver, insurance up here would easily be 3K+ per year for any cars mentioned.

G35 is a RWD so again the issue of getting snow tires.
Old 16th January 2009, 12:01   #204
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
The problem of leasing a car is the loss in equity.At the end of 2 years,you'll get noting out of the car. And if you aren't careful,you could end up in trouble for not reading the fine print that most dealers don't stress upon.
Not too much if you opt for a car with great resale; lease payments will be equivalently low. Plus I don't think a student with a 20K budget is bothered too much about equity. Let him have fun in school, will ya! Lambo, look up lease deals in your area. You could pick up a really sweet ride within your budget. Plus, you don't have to worry about maintenance etc.
Old 16th January 2009, 21:41   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Pontiac G6? Alright to drive? When I had one for a week, I hated that car, the steering felt it wasn't connected to the wheels. Brakes were mushy as well and this was almost brand new. Only thing I liked about it was it's looks and the remote start option.
Let's just say it's the better option when compared to a simlar rental spec Chevy Malibu (the older model, not the redesigned one - that I haven't driven), Saturn Ion, Hyundai Accent / Sonata, or horror of horrors - the Dodge Caliber!

Actually speaking of rental cars, I've heard the Saturn Aura is a pretty decent package, compared to Saturn's (Opel's / Vauxhall's for the Euro equivalents) older offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Guys I don't know how US works but for a new driver, insurance up here would easily be 3K+ per year for any cars mentioned.
For a new driver under 25, with no driving or credit history and SSN, rates can match similar levels depending on the State. (I've been quoted $4k/year for an old rotting 70's Cadillac, and around the same for a 70's/80's Lincoln Town Car, in the past ).
Old 16th January 2009, 21:46   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not too much if you opt for a car with great resale; lease payments will be equivalently low. Plus I don't think a student with a 20K budget is bothered too much about equity. Let him have fun in school, will ya! Lambo, look up lease deals in your area. You could pick up a really sweet ride within your budget. Plus, you don't have to worry about maintenance etc.
Hehe...righto,Sir! Quite true,its the best time to have all the fun in the world.
Go get a good set of wheel,lambo!
cheers:
Old 17th January 2009, 05:17   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Let's just say it's the better option when compared to a simlar rental spec Chevy Malibu (the older model, not the redesigned one - that I haven't driven), Saturn Ion, Hyundai Accent / Sonata, or horror of horrors - the Dodge Caliber!

Actually speaking of rental cars, I've heard the Saturn Aura is a pretty decent package, compared to Saturn's (Opel's / Vauxhall's for the Euro equivalents) older offerings.
On the money, Sir ! Saturn Aura is an involving car to drive, it is just that the steering has an artificially weighted feel to it. The top end model has paddle shifters and it has a nice and responsive engine, only the shifts are too slow and spoils the fun. Also, when decelerating, it goes down to first gear rather abruptly, catching the passengers by surprise.

Dodge Caliber is pretty lame, especially with it's elaaaaaaaaaaaastic CVT gearbox.
Old 17th January 2009, 09:56   #208
BHPian

Quote:
When I moved in new, I got some discounts for being married, some for having a BOA account, and some again on my past driving experience (in India).. finaly I am paying a little over 1000 for my a6..

Quote:
G35 is a RWD so again the issue of getting snow tires.
Is that an issue? I mean another 500 and you get a good set of alloys and snows.. thats all what i would think about it
Old 19th January 2009, 11:30   #209
BHPian

Well, it maybe time when I might be in the same situation sooner than later.
Having driven a friends 328i and spoiled by the creature comforts (however little they maybe), i am inclined towards a 335i or M3.

But, having seen the Chevy Camaro specs am kinda struggling to get in terms with the choice. I know, there is too much time before I would need one and Camaro is out but still am confused.

What say guys.
Old 29th January 2009, 01:51   #210
Team-BHP Support

Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
But, having seen the Chevy Camaro specs am kinda struggling to get in terms with the choice. I know, there is too much time before I would need one and Camaro is out but still am confused.

What say guys.
The BMW 328 is a good little package but then the 335's twin turbos just work wonders.

Theres a wait-list on the Camaro so don't expect one this year or even the next. Dealers are selling them at premiums, so you won't get a good-deal unless you're prepared to wait a couple of years.
The car does look attractive, though I myself prefer the slightly cleaner (if I may) lines of the Dodge Challenger.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks