Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2013, 21:18   #2041
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesraju View Post
Friends, I have been long struggling to finalize a choice for my first car in the US. I am looking for a used car, probably of around 2010 model year. At this point, I am confused between a 2010 Honda Accord and Nissan Altima (both with the base engine option).

Handling is one important aspect I am looking for, since I will be driving it a lot and want something that satisfies the driver in me. I have read conflicting reviews which places either one on top in the handling department. I would like to get the opinion of those who have driven both these models and comparison of handling, performance, fuel efficiency, refinement etc.

Thanks in advance.
Handling: Altima, no brainer.

TCO: Accord, no brainer.

Resale value: Accord, marginally.

Cruising Comfort (Considering you'll be driving a lot): Accord (strictly personal opinion). Much depends on aerodynamics, suspension style and state of tires on the vehicles. Altima inherently has a tighter suspension, the Accord's is relatively softer. The Accord also has a nice/quieter cabin. If you are going to be on the freeway more, I'd go with the Accord.

Space: Accord, marginally. But then us 5'some" Indians usually fit well in these cars regardless of what they say about 'cramped rear seats'.

MPG: Nothing much to pick between the two.
Old 25th February 2013, 02:43   #2042
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Damn, Am I the only guy with a 50 mile commute (one way). All of you have 1-5 miles one way??

Wouldn't it be better to bike?? My team leader bikes in subzero temps, he says that is alright as long as there is no snow/ice on the road.
I used to travel for work for the past 6 years. More than 20,000miles per year on the odo excluding vacations. Not anymore, now I work close to home.

Yes, it isn't uncommon for people to bike to work throughout winter in the tristate metro area. Though I prefer using my bike for recreation in warmer climes only. Maybe, come summer I should commute to work on it.

There was a guy I heard on the radio commuting by car from Albany to NYC daily. Crazy!
People use the Amtrak to travel daily to Philly from NYC too.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th February 2013 at 02:46.
Old 25th February 2013, 03:37   #2043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

There was a guy I heard on the radio commuting by car from Albany to NYC daily. Crazy!
And I used to think the guys I knew at my work place in Providence who used to drive 100 miles from New Hampshire were crazy! That is a guaranteed 7 hours a day on the road, wouldn't you think? He probably will be visiting a gas station also every day (or every other day if he has a 500 mile range car).
Old 25th February 2013, 05:43   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Handling: Altima, no brainer.

TCO: Accord, no brainer.

Resale value: Accord, marginally.

Cruising Comfort (Considering you'll be driving a lot): Accord (strictly personal opinion). Much depends on aerodynamics, suspension style and state of tires on the vehicles. Altima inherently has a tighter suspension, the Accord's is relatively softer. The Accord also has a nice/quieter cabin. If you are going to be on the freeway more, I'd go with the Accord.

Space: Accord, marginally. But then us 5'some" Indians usually fit well in these cars regardless of what they say about 'cramped rear seats'.

MPG: Nothing much to pick between the two.
Surprised to see people suggesting Altima for handling. I drive a 2010 Altima and I hate the way it handles. It roles a lot and the steering feedback is next to nil. (May be a personal thingy.) The cabin is noisy too. But the 2013 Altima has a lot of improvements in all departments. That car is completely different from the 2010 car.

Agree on all the other parameters mentioned. Accord is a better car. Among Altima and Accord, I'd suggest you go with the Accord.

If handling is of paramount importance, please revisit the Ford models available for your budget. They are not far behind in reliability these days.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 25th February 2013 at 05:46.
Old 25th February 2013, 06:20   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
If handling is of paramount importance, please revisit the Ford models available for your budget. They are not far behind in reliability these days.
Agree. The Fusion sport, all the Mazda 6 flavors, the Subaru legacy of that time are budget family cars to be considered if drive quality is a req. Even the solidly unreliable VW Passat of that time rides well (when she does, that is).
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 07:40   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Ok, didn't think I'd be posting "trouble" stuff so soon after getting the bimmer but here goes: hope you guys have seen something like this (hope as in "hope you know", not "hope you experienced", lol!):

Did a drive up to Mt Hamilton and saw the Lick Observatory. Beautiful hill road, absolutely enjoyed it with the bimmer. Who knew there is snow so close to San Jose?! Didn't have to use the brakes much - not much traffic. After the drive and back, was parked near a restaurant for lunch. Then when I switched on the car after lunch, noticed there is an orange (yellow? amber?) BRAKE light on. This same light turns red when I pull up the handbrake but becomes orange again when I release it. I didn't use the handbrake at all on the trip to Mt Hamilton or when I parked there. In fact I seldom use it. Next thing I noticed is, handbrake doesn't work! I mean it isn't just weak, it's like nonexistent. Brakes work as usual.

Searched the E90 and bimmer forums but couldn't find anyone having the same use-case. Others who see this light also have the ABS light or the DSC light with it. on bimmer forums, people seem to suggest the BRAKE light is connected with brake pads, but not handbrake.

So could worn (or almost worn) brake pads and a failed handbrake BOTH be the problem, independent of each other? Or could the orange light be connected to the dysfunctional handbrake, considering it turns red when engaged and turns back orange/yellow when disengaged?

Note: there is no ABS light or DSC warning light. Only the orange BRAKE light, apart from the "lift car and inspect it" light for a few seconds when turning the car on.

I'm going to take it to the dealer first thing in the morning (aargh, hate taking unplanned days/hours off work but guess comes with buying a used bimmer).

Any thoughts?

Last edited by rajushank84 : 25th February 2013 at 07:50.
Old 25th February 2013, 09:12   #2047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Will take the before pics & then take the pics after installation for comparison
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Do update us with pics of replacement LEDs. I have done the replacement on G35 and its great. Will post them this weekend.
Here is my all white LED replacement project on G35.

I replaced puddle lights, map lights on front and rear. It was very easy. Just need a flat tool to pop up the plastics holding the lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130223_185956.jpg  

chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 09:52   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Ok, didn't think I'd be posting "trouble" stuff so soon after getting the bimmer but here goes: hope you guys have seen something like this (hope as in "hope you know", not "hope you experienced", lol!):

Did a drive up to Mt Hamilton and saw the Lick Observatory. Beautiful hill road, absolutely enjoyed it with the bimmer. Who knew there is snow so close to San Jose?! Didn't have to use the brakes much - not much traffic. After the drive and back, was parked near a restaurant for lunch. Then when I switched on the car after lunch, noticed there is an orange (yellow? amber?) BRAKE light on. This same light turns red when I pull up the handbrake but becomes orange again when I release it. I didn't use the handbrake at all on the trip to Mt Hamilton or when I parked there. In fact I seldom use it. Next thing I noticed is, handbrake doesn't work! I mean it isn't just weak, it's like nonexistent. Brakes work as usual.

Searched the E90 and bimmer forums but couldn't find anyone having the same use-case. Others who see this light also have the ABS light or the DSC light with it. on bimmer forums, people seem to suggest the BRAKE light is connected with brake pads, but not handbrake.

So could worn (or almost worn) brake pads and a failed handbrake BOTH be the problem, independent of each other? Or could the orange light be connected to the dysfunctional handbrake, considering it turns red when engaged and turns back orange/yellow when disengaged?

Note: there is no ABS light or DSC warning light. Only the orange BRAKE light, apart from the "lift car and inspect it" light for a few seconds when turning the car on.

I'm going to take it to the dealer first thing in the morning (aargh, hate taking unplanned days/hours off work but guess comes with buying a used bimmer).

Any thoughts?
Only thing I can think of is low break fluid. Have you checked the levels?
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 10:04   #2049
Senior - BHPian

A few pics from a small impromptu corvette meet i organized on friday after work. I attended a meet for the first time ever. It was a great experience. The mod bug also hit me very hard after listening to couple of custom exhausts.

The first one is Z06, Second and Third (Mine) are Coupes and last one is C5 Vert.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130222_172351.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20130222_172413.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-mee3zo6.jpg

Mine is second Crystal Red from left.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-meet2.jpg

Mine is first from left.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-meet4.jpg
chevelle is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 11:04   #2050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Then when I switched on the car after lunch, noticed there is an orange (yellow? amber?) BRAKE light on. This same light turns red when I pull up the handbrake but becomes orange again when I release it. I didn't use the handbrake at all on the trip to Mt Hamilton or when I parked there. In fact I seldom use it. Next thing I noticed is, handbrake doesn't work! I mean it isn't just weak, it's like nonexistent. Brakes work as usual.

You don't have iDrive, do you? What does your Check Control Messages tell you?

The brake light will always turn red when you set the handbrake - to indicate that it's set.
The light goes off when you release the handbrake.
In your case, the light stays yellow (or orange) to indicate a problem.

How many miles on your current set of pads? Probably worn pads but do check brake fluid level, as mohit mentions, just to be sure.

As your parking brake doesn't work, there's a good chance the shoes have cracked / worn out. There's a rebuild kit available. Or maybe it's just the cable that needs to be re-set.

You should find a good Indy shop (or better yet, get into DIY) or you'll end up despising your car and end up like those who curse German cars just because repairs cost a fortune at the dealer.

p.s. Check this link for reference - https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...4242A6C62198A5

Last edited by aah78 : 25th February 2013 at 11:10.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 11:41   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Thanks mohit and aah78. No I haven't checked brake fluid - I'm not that handson . I don't have idrive.

What I'm wondering in my mind is: Should I go and tell the service person to just check the brakes and the brake symbol, or mention the handbrake also? lf they are disconnected issues, i don't want them to fix the handbrake only and not check the other brakes (pads, fluid etc), and delete the issue from the computer. On the other hand, I feel like I should let them know whatever I know so that they can better help me.

What do you think?

Last edited by rajushank84 : 25th February 2013 at 11:43.
Old 25th February 2013, 16:04   #2052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What I'm wondering in my mind is: Should I go and tell the service person to just check the brakes and the brake symbol, or mention the handbrake also? lf they are disconnected issues, i don't want them to fix the handbrake only and not check the other brakes (pads, fluid etc), and delete the issue from the computer. On the other hand, I feel like I should let them know whatever I know so that they can better help me.

What do you think?
I think you should read the owners manuals first. It is very likely to give you the possible cause and necessary next steps. When you take it to the shop, always tell them the full story. And ask them what amber lights means. If they don't give the answer as in owners manual take you car to the next shop. Either they haven't got a clue or they're out to get you.

And be carefull, brakes are pretty essential!
Jeroen
Old 26th February 2013, 01:04   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
A few pics from a small impromptu corvette meet i organized on friday after work. I attended a meet for the first time ever. It was a great experience. The mod bug also hit me very hard after listening to couple of custom exhausts.

The first one is Z06, Second and Third (Mine) are Coupes and last one is C5 Vert.

Attachment 1055435

Attachment 1055436

Attachment 1055437

Mine is second Crystal Red from left.

Attachment 1055438

Mine is first from left.
Attachment 1055439
Must have been an awesome

Though I don't own a Corvette, I happened to go for Stingray Meet up here in the Angeles Mountains during Summer

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo-1.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo-2.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo-3.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo-4.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo-5.jpg
kraft.wagen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 03:06   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Must have been an awesome

Though I don't own a Corvette, I happened to go for Stingray Meet up here in the Angeles Mountains during Summer
Awesome photos. Looks more like a C3 Meet as i can only see C3s. Were there others too?

I plan to go to a bigger meet which happens every Saturday but because of Cricket, the timing don't match. As any given time, there are like 30-35 corvettes in the lot from C1 to C6s.
Old 26th February 2013, 03:14   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome photos. Looks more like a C3 Meet as i can only see C3s. Were there others too?

I plan to go to a bigger meet which happens every Saturday but because of Cricket, the timing don't match. As any given time, there are like 30-35 corvettes in the lot from C1 to C6s.
Yep only C3's. There were one more line, but I was running around looking at the 100s of bikes on the other side so didn't take much pics of the C3's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks