Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2013, 03:47   #1996
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I have a quick qn now, Does winter weather have any drastic affects on the gas mileage. My gas mileage is at a ridiculous 18.x mpg now.
I have a daily 5 mile commute (2 way) to office, and have around 5-6 signals on the way.
Old 21st February 2013, 03:57   #1997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I have a quick qn now, Does winter weather have any drastic affects on the gas mileage. My gas mileage is at a ridiculous 18.x mpg now.
I have a daily 5 mile commute (2 way) to office, and have around 5-6 signals on the way.
Nope, nothing to do with winter - it's your short, slow speed commute.
Take your car out on the highway trip and you'll see better mileage.

More so if your Mazda has a V6.

The only blame I'd put on winter is that it takes longer for your car to warm up & reach operating temperature. Thus, the engine runs at higher rpms while it warms up and hence, uses more fuel.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st February 2013 at 04:01.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 03:59   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Torro,

How often do you take your car on a highway and open her up? If your regular drive is alway commuting, you need to do this atleast couple of times a month. You have to open the car up and maintain a good clip (70 to 75 mph) for as long as you can, not less than 20 mins. Or shift down and drive the car around 2500~3000 rpm and maintain that rpm for around 20 mins.

Modern engines are almost all lean-burning and needs to be working at its operating temp for some consistent time period. If not, they tend to get carbon deposits all over. Some consistent highway driving will burn these off. Your regular short commute is probably not conducive to getting rid of these deposits. Besides, an occassional heavy right foot is known to cure all sorts of illnesses, real and imaginary.

Meanwhile, try adding some Chevron Techron when the fuel tank is empty just before filling.

Looks like aah78 beat me to the punch.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 04:16   #1999
BHPian

Thanks Bunch VLOCT, aah78.

I will add the CHevron Techron during the next fill up, and will take the car to the highway this weekend.

I have been using a colleague's car for all the highway jaunts as I didnt want to rack up a lot of miles in my car.

Mine is the 4 cylinder Mazda. Can a 4 Cylinder give such a low milage? I was worried something may be wrong

Thanks again
Old 21st February 2013, 04:25   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My mileage has gone down too in the winters but the reason for that is that the low temperature keeps the car in AWD all the time. In summers, it was mostly RWD and that helped in getting a good mileage, specially on long drives when it was running on only 4 cylinders.
Old 21st February 2013, 04:27   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Nope, nothing to do with winter - it's your short, slow speed commute.

The only blame I'd put on winter is that it takes longer for your car to warm up & reach operating temperature. Thus, the engine runs at higher rpms while it warms up and hence, uses more fuel.
I read that some states lower the quality of gas thereby decreasing fuel economy. It goes up again when spring/summer comes.

Also adding 10% ethanol leads may lead to lower FE. I am yet to notice that though.

Here is a link that shows difference between winter blend and summer blend gasoline.

http://ask.cars.com/2009/02/whats-th...y-cars-pe.html

http://www.fuelly.com/forum/1093/win...fuel-lower-mpg

So, may be there could be a small effect on FE being lower in winter than summer. Obviously, the shorter commute of stop and go traffic doesn't help.

My daily commute in G35 yield 20 mpg in summer. Right now, it is 19 mpg on same route. Pattern of driving remains more or less the same.

Last edited by chevelle : 21st February 2013 at 04:28.
Old 21st February 2013, 04:37   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A bunch of things may contribute to this
  1. Lower operating temperature of engine and transmission - fluids take time to warm up and operate at their optimum temperature
  2. More heating and energy use that way
  3. The winter fuel mixture on sale could have an impact
  4. Slower speed travel that amplifies the city driving effect
I believe you get about 10-15% less efficiency in the winter. It also depends on where you are operating your car, so winter and southern California may not make any difference.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 04:59   #2003
BHPian

Thanks Guys, Really appreciate the replies.

Is 18mg low for a commuter 4 cyl sedan in city driving conditions. Do i need to check anything else on the engine side? If this is the standard mileage in City conditions for Mazda 6 then i would have been ok. I was trolling the Mazda 6 forums and every one seems to be getting atleast 21+ in city driving conditions.

Eitherways i had planned for a Chicago visit this week, i will probably get that done tomorrow and then check the figures
Old 21st February 2013, 05:21   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
My mileage has gone down too in the winters but the reason for that is that the low temperature keeps the car in AWD all the time. In summers, it was mostly RWD and that helped in getting a good mileage, specially on long drives when it was running on only 4 cylinders.
How to keep the charger In RWD

2009-2010 LX Charger R/T & 300C AWD System info & Key Fobik Trick

The 2009-2010 LX AWD models are equipped with the new BorgWarner Active transfer case and front axle disconnect system. These are two independent technologies, seamlessly transitions between RWD and AWD with 5 different driving situations for both the Charger & 300. The AWD system will then go back to RWD in under 30 seconds from AWD when not needed.

The new LX AWD system is geared for fuel economy.
#1- if one or both of the rear wheels slips (loses traction) it will go to AWD in 0.9 seconds,

#2- if you use the 5-Speed Auto/Stick and shift threw the gears up or down it will go to AWD,
#3- if you turn ESP off on your dash it will go to AWD,
#4- if it's raining and the Rain-Sensing Wipers come on it will go to AWD, and #5- if the temperature is 4 degrees Celsius (39 F) and above it's RWD, if the temperature is 3 degrees celsius (37 F) or below it will go to AWD (temperatures on my 09 300C AWD)

YOU CAN FULLY DISENGAGE THE AWD SYSTEM TO BE RWD ONLY WITH THE KEY FOBIK It's refered to as (dyno mode). Turn the key to the start position while you are driving and hold it there for 3 seconds, it works only after 16 Kph or 10 Mph. It will be RWD all the time regardless of the 5 different driving situations above, with Traction Control off, Electronic Stability Program (ESP) off & Brake Assist System (BAS) off. THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON THE 2009-2010 LX 300C & Charger AWD'S. When engine is turned off it will go back to normal mode.

To access the EVIC screens to see RWD or AWD mode & more pages do the following: Press and hold the Music Note (♪) key and the Compass key (the two inner and bottom steering wheel buttons) for 7 seconds. Up and Down arrow moves through the screens. To exit just touch the compass key or the page key. You have a choice of both RWD or AWD when ever you like. To turn Traction Control off, Electronic Stability Program (ESP) off & Brake Assist System (BAS) off, this will also work on most 2008-2010 Dodge & Chrysler vehicles with the new key fob.
Jomz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 05:54   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
How to keep the charger In RWD

2009-2010 LX Charger R/T & 300C AWD System info & Key Fobik Trick
Yeah mine is 2012 model. Any idea how to disable AWD there, short of pulling a couple of fuses?
I read somewhere that if through Trinity, you disable traction control, it disables AWD too, along with ABS. That, i dont want disabled.
Old 21st February 2013, 07:20   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Winter sure affects mpg numbers. Few culprits, if not all:
(1) Winter gas blends.
(2) Cold temps = higher fluid viscosity, more work required to overcome friction in the engine, transmission and other drive-train modules, at least until the engine and drive-train warms up (by which time your tiny commute is almost over).
(3) Cold temps = tire pressures drop = fractionally that much more effort on the engine to roll the vehicle, at least until the tires warm up (by which time your tiny commute is almost over).

Nothing to worry. The only factor you can control is keeping adequate air pressure in the tires, and hope for winter go finish soon
Old 21st February 2013, 07:37   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Eitherways i had planned for a Chicago visit this week, i will probably get that done tomorrow and then check the figures
Where are you based now? Chicago is where I live, but this weekend would be a bad time to meet up as I have guests this weekend.
Old 21st February 2013, 07:54   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post

Where are you based now? Chicago is where I live, but this weekend would be a bad time to meet up as I have guests this weekend.
Thx Vineeth . I am based out of Louisville, Ky. WIll definitely meet next time around..
Old 21st February 2013, 07:58   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Thx Vineeth . I am based out of Louisville, Ky. WIll definitely meet next time around..
& I'm on the way in Indianapolis.
Old 21st February 2013, 08:02   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
@Ananthnag,

If you will not take offense, may I ask a simple question that has bugged me in this whole ordeal? What was the non-refundable fee of $1000 for, that was paid to the dealer?

Thanks Vloct, Torro Rosso and Vineeth. I am attaching the Carfax for your reference.

Car prices are very jacked up here. It was very difficult for me to find above 2000, <1Lakh mile car for USD 7500.

I fell for it, the office commute was getting difficult, desi client manager was very particular on timings, even 2 min delay was escalated.

Car price that was locked was as per Good Condition Toyota Camry. These guys are tricky, for the first 3 years it was serviced every 3000 Miles or 3 months very regularly.

Mea culpa. I did the mistake it did not strike us. The guy who drove the car, said it is very smooth and excellent. Interiors did not wear and tear or did not look too new to be replaced. So Fell for it

Now here is the update -

Went to the dealer, he was pretty adamant that the it is a good car.

He says from 2008 till 2012, the car was registered regularly at Illinois and he said he will get DMV's fax copy showing mileage and he said we can check the trend and decide.

He also called me the one service center which updated carfax as 1.69L miles to possibly get some information. That service wanted the name and he did not have the information. I asked him to try get the names and get me some information from that service center.

Finally I also asked him about refund, which blatantly refused. He agreed only if DMV gives something inconsistent, he is ready to give a complete Refund.

Also when we checked if we can check with a mechanic, he started saying about trust and thats when he suggested to get DMV mileage record as proof. Basically he is not ready to give and we also did not emphasize, somehow it is difficult for us also to talk.

Can I accept if DMV certificate comes good. But I myself is not convinced with the DMV certificate. Because as for as I know, a individual can renew plates in online or post. No physical inspection is done by DMV. So it could be very well be a false mileage claim from previous owner. Correct If my assumption is wrong here.

What else can I do. My last option is try to check if he is willing to let me change to some other vehicle. But in that case, he will a upper hand, will not negotiate and also I should get in my budget. When I checked his inventory, it did not have anything in my budget.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carfax_4T1BE32K65U623824.pdf (1.04 MB, 664 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks