Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2013, 16:55   #1966
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
The Chevy SS will look much better in person than in pictures like the other SS siblings usually do.
Really??? Cobalt SS and Impala SS were really bland, If not blander.
Old 18th February 2013, 21:52   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I wonder why the Audi TT is never recommended, is there an image problem with TT or is it too expensive for what it offers?
Apart from the cost is performance, pure and simple. The pecking order goes like this:

Worst - SLK, Z4, TT,....
Average - Elise, MX-5/Miata (and only because they're underpowered for their capabilities)
Best - S2000, Boxter (right mix of power and handling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post
Hot hatch dilemma -

Just test drove the Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3 and VW GTI back to back and am more confused on what to buy than before.

Am looking for refinement at highway speeds for comfortable commutes - found the ST the best here followed by the GTI and the Speed3

Next would be price - the speed3 is coming in under 23k because of discounts, the ST with the ST2 package (cant miss out on the recaros) comes at around 27k and so does the GTI (again here can;t live with the base alloys and have to go with the convenience and moonroof package)

The ST pretty much is the best in fuel economy and the speed3 the worst
But if I plan to keep the car for ~5yrs, the speed3 will need $3k in gas more than the ST

I'm very tempted by the ST now, any ideas on resale value and reliability of fords against mazdas?
I never understand why people buying a car out of passion worry about the resale value? Are you buying or selling?

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th February 2013 at 23:42.
Activ8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 03:59   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post
Hot hatch dilemma -

Just test drove the Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3 and VW GTI back to back and am more confused on what to buy than before.

Am looking for refinement at highway speeds for comfortable commutes - found the ST the best here followed by the GTI and the Speed3

Next would be price - the speed3 is coming in under 23k because of discounts, the ST with the ST2 package (cant miss out on the recaros) comes at around 27k and so does the GTI (again here can;t live with the base alloys and have to go with the convenience and moonroof package)

The ST pretty much is the best in fuel economy and the speed3 the worst
But if I plan to keep the car for ~5yrs, the speed3 will need $3k in gas more than the ST

I'm very tempted by the ST now, any ideas on resale value and reliability of fords against mazdas?

BTW, an article on this week's Autocar solves your dilemma too ~ http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...atch-mega-test

Enjoy
Old 19th February 2013, 06:24   #1969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
I never understand why people buying a car out of passion worry about the resale value? Are you buying or selling?
Because "passion" isn't the only factor? Yes it is passion for a faster, better-feeling, more exciting vehicle but it is not such blinding passion that all other factors go out of the window. Buying today is going to end with selling tomorrow, and I think it is smart to keep that in mind when buying itself. At the end of the day, buying price minus selling price is going to be the major part of cost of ownership.
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 23:47   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Utterly uninspiring. What a disappointing look for this plain Jane.

I still recommend a low mileage G8 to performance oriented sedan buyer, if it can had for reasonable price, over any offering out there. You can still get the warranty and be more than a match for most Germans. Interiors are excellent.

Heck, you can get low mileage certified used Caddy CTS-Vs for low 30s, and 2009 and older models for less than that, which blows almost all cars on the planet out of the water.
I think they chose wrong color to show off the SS at debut. They should have picked a bolder color like red or orange. Did you see Holden's version? It looks awesome in orange color. That is why i would wait to see this in person with a different color -say black or orange or red.

G8 does make for a great buy but it commands a good premium pricing in used market now a days. One can find 2008-2010 G8, G8 GXP for $25k which is quite high considering it is from a dead brand name. A new SS will be ~$38k which is right in the ball park of its competition and since its based on old G8, all the attributes will be available on SS too. I loved the steering wheel of SS. Hope C7 has it too.

I am not able to find CTS-V in low 30s in CA as you have mentioned. 2009-2012 commands anything over $45k and that too with quite high miles. Similarly, 2008 or before are going above $35k and most have high miles. Also the pre-2009 version didn't have good interior. But i do agree, if one can have this, its mind blowing car that gives more smiles per miles.

I think its best we wait for SS to be available for test drive. I am pretty sure, it will match G8 for performance and at times better it. I just wish they had used LT1 and new platform instead of 4-5 years old platform.
Old 20th February 2013, 01:07   #1971
BHPian

I actually bought my 2008 CTS-V (black on black) for $23K with 22,000 miles and in absolute mint condition. This was in 2010. And I sold the car for the same money I bought, after a year. These deals are still out there unless, the owners are hanging on to these cars longer. The interior of my 2008 was absolutely gorgeous, not 2010 good but, still superb.

Personally, I need the looks to justify if I'm putting $38 large down for a sports sedan. No plain Jane will do for that money. All go and no show just doesn't cut it. If Pontiac could come up with a G8, why Chevy can't do it is beyond me. They need to take a look at Ford and see why Ford is going to clean their clock, if GM keeps coming up with this cookie cutter look. For a supposedly resurgent company, I've never seen a more mundane design than this.
Old 20th February 2013, 01:41   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
I actually bought my 2008 CTS-V (black on black) for $23K with 22,000 miles and in absolute mint condition.

Personally, I need the looks to justify if I'm putting $38 large down for a sports sedan. No plain Jane will do for that money. All go and no show just doesn't cut it. If Pontiac could come up with a G8, why Chevy can't do it is beyond me. They need to take a look at Ford and see why Ford is going to clean their clock, if GM keeps coming up with this cookie cutter look. For a supposedly resurgent company, I've never seen a more mundane design than this.
That is a great deal you got. Wish there were more like this here. Most of the CTS-V has over 50k miles for a 2010 and are 45k+ and that too from private sellers.

I like the sleeper look that G8 had. The G8 GXP had more exterior thrills. May be they will do the same with SS. Later on add more power and exterior changes to make it even more hot.

Another thing is, this will get you 25 mpg easily (LS3 Engine) while i doubt CTS-V ever achieves that. It is pretty much notorious for horrible FE. I hope that is not the case with SS.

Ford has Taurus SHO which looks fugly, is very heavy and seems cramped for it size. And G8 was a great handler, super comfy seats, excellent ride quality - just like Holden. I am sure it is carried forward to SS as that is what it is based on.
Old 20th February 2013, 01:50   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
Apart from the cost is performance, pure and simple. The pecking order goes like this:

Worst - SLK, Z4, TT,....
Average - Elise, MX-5/Miata (and only because they're underpowered for their capabilities)
Best - S2000, Boxter (right mix of power and handling)
Thanks for the info, I see that the 350/370Z does not figure in your list, where does that stand?

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th February 2013 at 03:17.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:25   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
is very heavy and seems cramped for it size..
Chev - why do you say that
I have been driving the SHO for a week now. I find it a fantastic car in terms of performance. And the back seat is not really cramped per se.
Old 20th February 2013, 03:02   #1975
Senior - BHPian

What a weekend i had! Got to get a seat in a Ferrari 308 1984 during a scuderia club drive from Phx to Payson(60 mile drive).

I had the broadest smile ever on my face through the drive and it was so well maintained! Overall i can say one check of a bucket list
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 03:42   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
What a weekend i had! Got to get a seat in a Ferrari 308 1984 during a scuderia club drive from Phx to Payson(60 mile drive).
Sounds awesome!
But still, pictures or it didn't happen
Old 20th February 2013, 04:11   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I have been driving the SHO for a week now. I find it a fantastic car in terms of performance. And the back seat is not really cramped per se.
Well, my body was not comfortable in it with front seats adjusted for 6 footer. YMMV.
Old 20th February 2013, 04:18   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Well, my body was not comfortable in it with front seats adjusted for 6 footer. YMMV.
I have to agree with Chevelle on this one. The Taurus though huge from outside feels much less roomy inside. Plus the dimensions and the front drive chassis doesn't do any favors in handling. The G8 felt a little more compact (it is actually smaller too). I think the Charger/300 twins also sometimes feel hefty in comparison to the erstwhile G8. I had driven all three when looking for a used car.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:04   #1979
Senior - BHPian

So short story:

Friend who is a member here mentioned about a drive to Payson(1 hr away from phx) by the scuderia southwest club and asked me to come. He mentioned he could try for a ride for me and i was intending to drive if i dont find one.

So the day of the drive came and i did go to the start point. The cars started rolling in and i met my friend. He mentioned there may be a seat and went spoke to the owner if i could tag along. He said YES! I was happy but didnt know how to express it. And then follows the pics.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-2.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-3.jpg

I had the biggest grin through the drive!
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 07:06   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks for the info, I see that the 350/370Z does not figure in your list, where does that stand?
I do see some on track, so I'm assuming they're better than the German 3 atleast. I've never driven one on track, only sat in one and it certainly doesn't feel slow. It definitely has the power with the VQ35/37DE engine, but also doesn't feel very light.

Most Viewed