Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 01:01   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hi, can anyone suggest me a good battery brand available here in US? This is for my 2006 2.0l Mazda3.

Thank you!
Get any battery from Walmart or Costco. It should last you good enough with sufficient warranty.

I bought a battery from Walmart for my friend's TL. It was good price, came with 3 yrs warranty and was easy to install. The name of the company was something called Ever Start. It is working flawlessly for last 2 years but don't know how it is now as the vehicle is sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
EDIT : Quick qn, Where do you guys generally buy the All weather Floor mats from?
I have heard good things about Weathertech and Lloyd. If you have a good budget for it, get from Lloyds or Weathertech. Its designed to fit and has excellent build quality, fit and finish. I have Lloyds mats in Corvette. Cost - $140 for 2 front floor mats.

http://lloydmats.com/?page_id=102

http://www.weathertech.com/product-e...s-all-weather/

If you want it cheap that you can throw away after a year's use, get from local stores like autozone or walmart. I had one in my previous car - camry and it was strictly average. It was all weather mat made of rubber but it would stink a lot if it was not washed regularly. I did threw it away after 10 months and got another pair.

Last edited by chevelle : 5th February 2013 at 01:04.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 01:11   #1877
BHPian

Thanks KW,Chev - Budget is bad , I had checked out Walmart,Meijer but didnt like any of them. Guess i will bite the bullet and get something from Walmart/Target..

Have one more qn .For my car, the front 2 tyres are Bridgestones and rear ones Michellin, the wear and tyre are consistent. How do i manage my tyre rotation in this scenario.
Old 5th February 2013, 01:52   #1878
BHPian

Price update:-

Was car shopping with my friend yesterday. He had a 2000 Accord with 181k miles on it. He wanted something new and went for a 2013 Accord.

Price 2013 Accord, EX with sunroof. fabric interior , lane watch blind side assist, dual zone temp control :-23500

Honda is giving a 4.99APR on the new cars for recent graduates , graduated within 2 years (with 0 credit History)

That car is huge inside. The active sound cancellation feature ( a mike picks up ambient noise and sends out signals through the car speakers to negate it) is good. Rosd noise is not there at all.
Jomz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 02:25   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Price update:-

Was car shopping with my friend yesterday. He had a 2000 Accord with 181k miles on it. He wanted something new and went for a 2013 Accord.

Price 2013 Accord, EX with sunroof. fabric interior , lane watch blind side assist, dual zone temp control :-23500

Honda is giving a 4.99APR on the new cars for recent graduates , graduated within 2 years (with 0 credit History)

That car is huge inside. The active sound cancellation feature ( a mike picks up ambient noise and sends out signals through the car speakers to negate it) is good. Rosd noise is not there at all.
The new accord is excellent. It is as if Honda got some of its mojo back.

The price you mentioned is it OTD or plus tax and fees?

Tell him to visit a Local Credit Union. He will get a 2.99% APR, if not 1.99%. Huge savings if its 2% less annually.

Quote:
Thanks KW,Chev - Budget is bad , I had checked out Walmart,Meijer but didnt like any of them. Guess i will bite the bullet and get something from Walmart/Target..

Have one more qn .For my car, the front 2 tyres are Bridgestones and rear ones Michellin, the wear and tyre are consistent. How do i manage my tyre rotation in this scenario.
I don't think the brand matters if the size is same all around. If you rotate as per the norm, you will get consistent tire wear on all tires thereby nullifying brand name. That's what i think. May be experts here can provide better view.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th February 2013 at 03:34. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 5th February 2013, 03:20   #1880
BHPian

Quote:

Do check out if there are any car shops near your place, you might find something better.
Where are you located?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I don't think the brand matters if the size is same all around. If you rotate as per the norm, you will get consistent tire wear on all tires thereby nullifying brand name. That's what i think. May be experts here can provide better view.
Interesting or Stupid , wont different threads styles have any impact on handling or grip?

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 5th February 2013 at 03:22.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 03:44   #1881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For my car, the front 2 tyres are Bridgestones and rear ones Michellin, the wear and tyre are consistent. How do i manage my tyre rotation in this scenario.
How did you land up in this situation?

Just to be sure, are the Bridgestone and Michelin tyres the same model / size?

You're supposed to run the same tyres on your car (unless specifically called for eg. staggered), as high speed stability of the car can be compromised.

For now, you can rotate your tires by swapping them between sides, not axles.
Just make sure the newer tires are on your front axle.

Next time you're due for a change buy four of the same tyres. You have lot of choices even if you're on a budget.

Quote:
I don't think the brand matters if the size is same all around. If you rotate as per the norm, you will get consistent tire wear on all tires thereby nullifying brand name. May be experts here can provide better view.
I'm no expert but kraft.wagen has nailed it -> Different tread patterns - even between the same brand - will compromise your handling / grip, especially so at highway speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Interesting or Stupid , wont different threads styles have any impact on handling or grip?
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 03:50   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

I'm no expert but kraft.wagen has nailed it -> Different tread patterns - even between the same brand - will compromise your handling / grip, especially so at highway speeds.
Quote:
Thanks for correcting. I didn't think of different threads. My bad.

So here is the question. Right now, i have GoodYear Eagle F1 RFT all around on my corvette. Since the front 2 were changed recently, i think the rears will go out earlier than front. I was thinking of getting Michelin RFT since it has better everything W.R.T GY. So can i do this switch or will i still have to get GY Eagle F1 only?

Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 03:59   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Where are you located?
Louisville, KY. I will check the PepBoys/Autozone once i am out of office today.

Quote:
How did you land up in this situation?

Just to be sure, are the Bridgestone and Michelin tyres the same model / size?
I bought mine used from a Dealer (2010 Mazda 6), i had noticed this at the time of delivery, Mine was a lease returned car and i had checked with the dealer on the reason for the different tyres and they didnt have a clear answer. (CarFax and AutoCheck were clean)

I didnt want to let go of the car because of this reason and I was desperate, commute was proving to be a real problem.

Luckily, the tyres are of the same model and size ..

I had completed a 3K road trip, and didnt really notice any handling or stability issues during my highway run. (It could be that i didnt understand them as well )

Thanks aah, I will swap all the tyres at the 50K mark then. (I am @ 38k now)
Old 5th February 2013, 04:15   #1884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So here is the question. Right now, i have GoodYear Eagle F1 RFT all around on my corvette. Since the front 2 were changed recently, i think the rears will go out earlier than front. I was thinking of getting Michelin RFT since it has better everything W.R.T GY. So can i do this switch or will i still have to get GY Eagle F1 only?

Thanks
Personally, I prefer not having different brand tires between axles on my car but since you're using the car for daily commuting I don't think it'll make a difference if you switch to Michelins (PS2's ? ) on the rear.

I've heard good things about the Hankook Ventus V12 too - just putting it in as another option.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th February 2013 at 04:17.
Old 5th February 2013, 07:45   #1885
BHPian

Note from Support. Please read through this section -> Announcements

Quote:

Thanks
... why the hell would anyone want run-flats? Just get a set of Direzza Z1 Star Specs .... almost as close to R-compounds as you'll ever get and far better ride, insane grip and noise reduction.

You'll have to get a separate set of winter shoes though ... that's the sensible thing to do when you have a car like that .... tyres are your most important mod

watch from 18min

Last edited by aah78 : 5th February 2013 at 10:47. Reason: Video embedded. See note.
Old 5th February 2013, 10:45   #1886
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
... why the hell would anyone want run-flats? Just get a set of Direzza Z1 Star Specs .... almost as close to R-compounds as you'll ever get and far better ride, insane grip and noise reduction.

You'll have to get a separate set of winter shoes though ... that's the sensible thing to do when you have a car like that .... tyres are your most important mod
He's looking for a street tire, not a auto-cross / track tire.
The extra dry-grip isn't going to help in the daily commute. It isn't going to help in the wet either.
Based on location he doesn't need a set of winter tires.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:06   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post

Perfectly summed up below. Apart from that, i believe for my daily driving needs and occasional long drives, RFT makes a lot of sense than non-RFT considering there is no space for spare tire and using repair kit and compressor to fix a flat is a pain that i wouldn't like to go through. Also, i would rather drive to nearest station at safe speeds rather than get stuck at remote places and having to call towing.

Michelin RFT and Firestone wide ovals are highly rated RFTs for Corvette and most owners have reports better ride and handling, reduced noise and longevity of tires when switching from factory GY.

No wonder for 2014 Corvette Stingray, GM got rid of GY and went with Michelin RFTs as factory tires.

Also, i don't need winter tires considering i stay in Nor-Cal where Corvette is driveable 365 days a year without worrying about snow.

Quote:
He's looking for a street tire, not a auto-cross / track tire.
The extra dry-grip isn't going to help in the daily commute. It isn't going to help in the wet either.
Based on location he doesn't need a set of winter tires.
Thanks, i agree with you completely.
Old 5th February 2013, 21:39   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
The new accord is excellent. It is as if Honda got some of its mojo back.

The price you mentioned is it OTD or plus tax and fees?

Tell him to visit a Local Credit Union. He will get a 2.99% APR, if not 1.99%. Huge savings if its 2% less annually.
It was final price including all fees. The Indiana state tax 7% has to be paid on the final price.

Well, He had an excellent credit score (698). The issue was his credit line only showed 2 credit cards of $2000 each. The dealer showed me the HOnda criteria and they say your credit history should have more amount in credit to you. So he normal Honda finance rate of 2.99 was not given to him, in spite of the stellar credit score.

Now his credit line would show $20K + $4k, so he can qualify for loans easily.

Moral of the story, get as many free credit cards as you can.
Old 5th February 2013, 21:44   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

Moral of the story, get as many free credit cards as you can.
And pay the cards off immediately so that there is no debt.
Old 5th February 2013, 21:52   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Hmm Can't you sell the front tires on Craigslist, Corevtte Forums etc & buy All 4 Michelin's new? Otherwise you would again be in similar dilemma of 2 new & 2 old.
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed