Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 04:16   #1816
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Which is the best Bug and Tar Remover to apply on front bumper such that it doesn't affect the paint. Also, can i use the same on glass too?

The bumper of G35 is horribly black now a days with plenty of bugs and road tar. I got a quote of $25 from a detailing shop. I am wondering if it can be fixed for less than that?

Will a clay bar work? I have a spare lying around?

Thanks in advance.
Don't use a clay bar. It will clean it but will be a waste of the bar.
Any store bought remover will work well. Turtle Wax, Rain-X, etc. etc.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 05:55   #1817
BHPian

Help needed!

Took my 2006 Mazda3 for oil change & regular maintenance at dealer and they found fluid leak in power steering rack and pinion which needs replacement. Car has run 80K miles and I don't think it's old enough to develop this problem. I never noticed any problem with steering nor the power steering fluid indicator was glowing.

Dealer quoted 2.5 to 3K for replacing this unit and luckily this will be covered under warranty. All I need to pay is for deductible. Googled and found that this can be done at local garage for less than 800 bucks. But I'm planning to go to dealer and get this done under warranty.

However before giving for repairing I'd like to hear your thoughts/comments to make sure that they don't rip me off. I can't afford to spent 3K for repairs.

Attached is the unit that needs replacement (image from RepairPal).

Thanks in advance!

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-steering_rack_and_pinion_08.jpg
Old 24th January 2013, 06:23   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Hey All,

Am facing this issue which i am really annoyed with. Pik up trucks and cars without a guard behind their tires have ruined my windhsield. I had one crack which i fixed by a pebble and now i got one more.

Anyone else facing this issue?
What can i do to prevent it other than keeping distance?

Maddy
Old 24th January 2013, 19:06   #1819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Dealer quoted 2.5 to 3K for replacing this unit and luckily this will be covered under warranty. All I need to pay is for deductible. Googled and found that this can be done at local garage for less than 800 bucks. But I'm planning to go to dealer and get this done under warranty.

However before giving for repairing I'd like to hear your thoughts/comments to make sure that they don't rip me off. I can't afford to spent 3K for repairs.
If the fix is covered under warranty, then why do you have to pay anything? Is this an extended warranty?

How much is the deductible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Hey All,

Am facing this issue which i am really annoyed with. Pik up trucks and cars without a guard behind their tires have ruined my windhsield. I had one crack which i fixed by a pebble and now i got one more.

Maddy
Yes, I've had to have my windshield replaced twice due to debris falling fron construction trucks on the highway. Unfortunately, no solution for this other than maintaining distance or letting a buffer vehicle slip between you & the truck.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th January 2013 at 19:11.
Old 24th January 2013, 19:49   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Which is the best Bug and Tar Remover to apply on front bumper such that it doesn't affect the paint. Also, can i use the same on glass too?

The bumper of G35 is horribly black now a days with plenty of bugs and road tar. I got a quote of $25 from a detailing shop. I am wondering if it can be fixed for less than that?

Will a clay bar work? I have a spare lying around?

Thanks in advance.
I usually find a lot of detailing shops around junk yards. I haven't tried them, infact I went one day, but the guys weren't there.
That being said I had cleaned my headlamps and it's been a few months no problem

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 24th January 2013 at 20:00.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 20:17   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

If the fix is covered under warranty, then why do you have to pay anything? Is this an extended warranty?

How much is the deductible?
The fix is covered as I have extended warranty. Deductible is $100.

So I should be fine, right?

Thank you!
Old 24th January 2013, 20:33   #1822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thank you!
Yes, absolutely! When you're paying only $100 out-of-pocket then no need to worry.
Old 24th January 2013, 21:08   #1823
Senior - BHPian

^^ Will this repair show up on carfax?
Old 24th January 2013, 21:33   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
If the fix is covered under warranty, then why do .
Mod - Do we need to purchase extended warranty from the Dealer? I bought my 2010 Mazda 6 from a dealer and at the time of delivery i had declined all the warranty offers that he had offered me - as all of them were pretty expensive.
Old 24th January 2013, 21:59   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, absolutely! When you're paying only $100 out-of-pocket then no need to worry.
I'm very much relieved to know that. Is there anything else I need to check/ask before giving to the dealer? I have to sign some documents/job card before the repair work. Isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yes it will and also cause depreciation in resale value

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Mod - Do we need to purchase extended warranty from the Dealer? I bought my 2010 Mazda 6 from a dealer and at the time of delivery i had declined all the warranty offers that he had offered me - as all of them were pretty expensive.
I bought extended warranty only for peace of mind. Paid $2900 for 3 years and now when I'm going have a $3000 repair work all I need to spend is $100.
josejoseph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 22:03   #1826
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If its reported. Not a bad thing. Just shows that the car has been maintained is all.
At 80k miles, you're bound to have some repairs and its good to see that they've been taken care of by the previous owner.

Quote:

I did purchase extended warranty when I bought my car new.
Would I buy it again? No, I wouldn't.

Back then I was doing a lot of miles per year and it felt worth it having some piece of mind as I would be out of basic warranty in just over 2 years.

However, all regularly wearing mechanical / electrical items aren't covered under extended warranty.

I know some people are very scared, especially when it comes to German cars, but I don't recomend it unless you know you've bought a troubled car.

One way to decide is look up general issues people are having for your car model and then figure out. If the car is know to be generally reliable, then you don't need it. Its just a waste of $2500-3000.

Usually, the price is "cheaper" if you get the warranty when you purchase the car. They usually pump up the price if you buy the warranty later.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th January 2013 at 22:04.
aah78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 22:17   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Help needed!

Car has run 80K miles and I don't think it's old enough to develop this problem. I never noticed any problem with steering nor the power steering fluid indicator was glowing.

Quote:

Thank you!
Please go ahead with the warranty repair at dealership. Out of pocket is just $100 and the best part is a warranty repair will cover it in future too if it reoccurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Hey All,

Maddy
Time it in such a way that you are far away from such trucks and cars. Either accelerate and go ahead or keep couple of cars in between.

You may wanna get your windscreen chip repaired. That will stop the crack from expanding. The insurance will do it for free. No deductibles. The crack or chip has to be less than a dime in size.

I have chip on my G35. I got it repaired for free from Geico. They also appreciate if you do this because doing a windscreen replacement is costly affair.

Quote:
It shows up, but it is more like a preventive maintenance so most owners take it positively. If there are too many repairs, it can be a cause for worry especially if it is earlier in the life of the car. At 80k, it is considered a high mileage car so it is good to show up as repair. It shows as an owner, you are taking care of the car.

Quote:
At time of delivery, you can negotiate the warranty price once you have finalized the price of the car. If you plan to get it afterwards, its gonna be even more expensive.

Quote:
Yes it will and also cause depreciation in resale value
Sorry, but i disagree. It doesn't cause a depreciate in resale value apart from the regular depreciation its supposed to take. Its not like, i as a buyer would say, you repaired it under warranty, i am gonna pay you $1k less or something. Actually, it will hold its value just fine because of the repair done.
chevelle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 22:30   #1828
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry, but i disagree. It doesn't cause a depreciate in resale value apart from the regular depreciation its supposed to take. Its not like, i as a buyer would say, you repaired it under warranty, i am gonna pay you $1k less or something. Actually, it will hold its value just fine because of the repair done.
I was under impression that since the car has undergone repair work, it's value will depreciate. Thanks for clarifying this.
Old 24th January 2013, 22:39   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
At time of delivery, you can negotiate the warranty price once you have finalized the price of the car. If you plan to get it afterwards, its gonna be even more expensive.
Ah. Too late for me now, never did that. I am going to take a leap of faith and hope nothing happens in the next 3 years or so.

The repair figures are scarry.
Old 24th January 2013, 22:42   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Help needed!

Took my 2006 Mazda3 for oil change & regular maintenance at dealer and they found fluid leak in power steering rack and pinion which needs replacement. Car has run 80K miles and I don't think it's old enough to develop this problem. I never noticed any problem with steering nor the power steering fluid indicator was glowing.
Common problem in cars with almost 80-100k miles. debris in the power steering fluid eats away at seals and damage them, causing leaks.

The preventive maintanance is flush power steering fluid once in a while. Or aleast siphon out some fluid from your power steering fluid cylinder and repalce with fresh fluid.

I assume this is covered in your repair (complete new fluid), if not ask for it.

Note the power stering fluid brand they use and when siphoning and replacing the fluid.. ( maybe 1 year from now) use the same brand and grade . Mostly I think it will be DOT 3/4 brake fluid.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed