Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 00:04   #1756
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I meant a used mazda6, I could get many options within the budget I had set for myself.
Bala - I just recently bought a 2010 Mazda6 30k miles for 13K OTD.
We have just completed 3K mile road trip and the car is great. Its lacking on power but has great driving dynamics. Mine a 4 cylinder, the V6 is great though

You can very well get used 2012 Mazda6s in around 14-15K OTD.

I didnt get a good deal as I am not good in negotiating and i needed a car badly.
Old 16th January 2013, 01:39   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post

You can very well get used 2012 Mazda6s in around 14-15K OTD.
Why is the Mazda6 so cheaper? I believe a 2010 Mazda3 will fetch more than 13K.

And recently I came to know that there was a Mazdaspeed6 model which falls in the same category as Imprezza WRX STI & Lancer Evo. Sadly not in production now.

Thanks,
Jose
Old 16th January 2013, 01:46   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I'll hide all the chrome in the front grill with Plasti-Dip.
I actually like the chrome or maybe even the same red color as the body on the Charger. I think blacked good looks much better on a black body.
Old 16th January 2013, 01:47   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Why is the Mazda6 so cheaper? I believe a 2010 Mazda3 will fetch more than 13K.
Good Qn, even i am not sure,it certainly doesnt command the resale value of Honda/Toyota.

One of the reasons could be that new 2013 model is out.
Old 16th January 2013, 02:54   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good Qn, even i am not sure,it certainly doesnt command the resale value of Honda/Toyota.

Mazda's and Nissan's are Japanese reliability at lower prices than the stalwarts Toyota and Honda. At least that's how the market perceives it. You will see similarly equipped Mazda/Nissan cars for 1-2k lesser in the new and used market as compared to the equivalent Honda/Toyota. Also, till the latest generation, Mazda's have not been the most fuel efficient in their segment, so the last gen models maybe much cheaper as well.

The Mazdaspeed3 is still available - bonkers quick and torque steering monster. They had to control the torque in first and second gears electronically to prevent people spinning out of control! Check it out if you can, it is a fun little car!
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 10:48   #1761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Are you still running on the stock run-flats? If yes, swap them out for a set of non run-flats and see the difference.

Glad you're enjoying your car!
Yes, am on stock run-flats. I am afraid for going near tire change thing because there is an ocean of information and I have zero knowledge. The bimmer forums are full of strong opinions, often contradicting each other . Any recommendations? Not that I am thinking of a tire change immediately but some thoughts to start researching with?

If I do upgrade (or is it downgrade?), should the new ones be "sports" ones too? Also, I don't think there is a boot provision for the spare tire, so the tire just lives in the usable boot space?

Quote:

Yes, there is a lot of ado about the "2014" Mazda6 which will probably release this summer. It is supposed to be completely new, not a facelift. Here's a link (or lots of other links if you google): http://reviewscarsnew.blogspot.com/2...-pictures.html
I even got an official detailed spec sheet pdf somewhere.

Looks waaaay better than the current 6, IMHO. I was hoping for an RWD this time but alas, no.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:36   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post, but a question for bhpians: One of my friends is planning a trip to Lake Tahoe and asked if I want to join. He is renting a 4WD SUV and his car is full. If I were to join, I have to rent another (I'm not taking my bimmer!) and drive it myself. So basically it will be just me and myself in my car.

My question is: I have never seen snow, and I had put off the idea of driving on snow until I actually see it and have a small trial with some other driver's presence. I am jittery about being the only driver in the car when I have no idea how it will feel. What is your opinion? Piece of cake? Or should I go with my own pace/instinct?

(the fact that this friend crashed his own car on his first trip to Tahoe, and doesn't want to take his own AWD SUV doesn't make me feel like piece of cake )

Last edited by rajushank84 : 16th January 2013 at 12:38.
Old 16th January 2013, 13:04   #1763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
My question is: I have never seen snow, and I had put off the idea of driving on snow until I actually see it and have a small trial with some other driver's presence. I am jittery about being the only driver in the car when I have no idea how it will feel. What is your opinion? Piece of cake? Or should I go with my own pace/instinct?)
I think you are quite right to be apprehensive about this. Never have seen snow let alone having driven on it, you're rightfully concerned.

On these sort of things; go with your own pace. Might be a good idea to drive around a bit with somebody next to you to give you a few good pointers. In all honesty, of course it will also depend on how much snow is out there and what car. As long as you get a good car, (4WD helps, snow tires fitted will make a huge difference!) you will probably fairly quickly feel fine with it. Just take it step by step and when safety is a concern always maintain your own pac

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 19:14   #1764
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Or should I go with my own pace

(the fact that this friend crashed his own car on his first trip to Tahoe, and doesn't want to take his own AWD SUV doesn't make me feel like piece of cake )
Good choice not taking your RWD car with summer tires in a snowy area - it would have been useless.

Not much to add to what Jeroen had put down so well.

Don't rush, take it easy. A FWD with all-seasons can get you along fine if there isn't any packed accumulation over 1/2" or so.

Otherwise an AWD may be necessary.

I don't know how much snow you get in the area. I know CA had some requirements for snow chains in the mountain passes.

As far as your run-flat tires are concerned, you have the Bridgestone Potenzas on? Don't dwell on them if you have no plans to swap them out ASAP but yes, I'd definitely recommend moving away from them on your next tire change.

Yes, the spare tire lies in the trunk, reducing space .
Old 16th January 2013, 19:33   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My question is: I have never seen snow, and I had put off the idea of driving on snow until I actually see it and have a small trial with some other driver's presence. I am jittery about being the only driver in the car when I have no idea how it will feel. What is your opinion? Piece of cake? Or should I go with my own pace/instinct?
Today morning i drove to office in snow. It took me 30 minutes as opposed to the usual 15-18 minutes because everyone else was also driving cautiously.

Following are a few tips that i had gleaned from the net for first time snow drivers, combined with little bit of personal experience:
1. Lane changes are very risky. So, avoid them as much as possible. If you do have to make a lane change, prepare very very much in advance and do it slowly, while making sure there is enough gap between you and the car in front as well as the one behind. Signal your intent to lane change well in advance.
2. Ramps are another area very prone to accidents so be very very cautious.
3. Always be mindful of your increased stopping distance, even when stopping at a red light or a stop sign.
4. NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS. I have to say this in upper case.
5. If you have never experienced ABS kicking in, then be prepared for the brake pedal to pulsate. Its normal.
6. Practice if possible. Take your car to an empty parking lot with some snow on it and get a feel of how your car will behave in snow. It does not mean that you attempt the slalom test. Just observe your car's changed behaviour in terms of stopping distances, turning, starting from stop.
7. Avoid stopping in deep snow. If you do, then start slowly in order to have maximum traction.
8. If you are in an area where it snows a lot and you dont have AWD, then think of investing in winter tires. People also recommend putting sand bags in the trunk so that you get more traction.
9. If you do get into a skid, turn the wheels in the direction of the skid.
10. If possible and if you can afford it, take a course in winter driving.
EDIT: 11. Heat the car up before you start and switch on the rear and front defoggers, specially the front one because it will help keep snow off your windscreen and wont let it stick.
12. Be nice to other road users and clear the snow off your car before starting. At the same time, be aware that chunks of snow can fall from other vehicles around you.

The most important thing is, dont panic and go at your own pace. Dont let tailgaters bully you into doing something you are not comfortable with.

Last edited by amitoj : 16th January 2013 at 19:36.
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 19:45   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Today morning i drove to office in snow. It took me 30 minutes as opposed to the usual 15-18 minutes because everyone else was also driving cautiously.

Following are a few tips that i had gleaned from the net for first time snow drivers, combined with little bit of personal experience:
1. Lane changes are very risky. So, avoid them as much as possible. If you do have to make a lane change, prepare very very much in advance and do it slowly, while making sure there is enough gap between you and the car in front as well as the one behind. Signal your intent to lane change well in advance.
2. Ramps are another area very prone to accidents so be very very cautious.
3. Always be mindful of your increased stopping distance, even when stopping at a red light or a stop sign.
4. NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS. I have to say this in upper case.
5. If you have never experienced ABS kicking in, then be prepared for the brake pedal to pulsate. Its normal.
6. Practice if possible. Take your car to an empty parking lot with some snow on it and get a feel of how your car will behave in snow. It does not mean that you attempt the slalom test. Just observe your car's changed behaviour in terms of stopping distances, turning, starting from stop.
7. Avoid stopping in deep snow. If you do, then start slowly in order to have maximum traction.
8. If you are in an area where it snows a lot and you dont have AWD, then think of investing in winter tires. People also recommend putting sand bags in the trunk so that you get more traction.
9. If you do get into a skid, turn the wheels in the direction of the skid.
10. If possible and if you can afford it, take a course in winter driving.
EDIT: 11. Heat the car up before you start and switch on the rear and front defoggers, specially the front one because it will help keep snow off your windscreen and wont let it stick.
12. Be nice to other road users and clear the snow off your car before starting. At the same time, be aware that chunks of snow can fall from other vehicles around you.

The most important thing is, dont panic and go at your own pace. Dont let tailgaters bully you into doing something you are not comfortable with.
Good list there buddy. Some more from my side -

I think a little bit of prep before the snow season starts is a good idea for any first timer - like ensuring all the fluids are topped up, tires are in good condition etc. Tire pressure indicators may glow in winter soon. Air would have compressed to indicate low pressure, mostly would go away once you move and the tires warm up. But make sure you have inflated tires to recommended (or a little above) pressure.

Most cities where snow is common place, clear off snow very soon on their main roads, so you would mostly be fine in your commutes. Exercise caution while driving on roads less often cleared. I think another very common danger that gets overlooked often is black ice especially on bridges. On cleaning snow off the car, a lot of people just clear their windscreens - front and back and drive around with snow on the top of the car like a mohican hair style. Hate them! Big chunks often fly off their roofs onto cars behind them, especially at highway speeds. I know a lot of people from India who just clean what they think is required - extremely annoying behavior!

If you have a high power RWD car - get snow tires - no escaping that fact. I know a lot of people put a sand bag in the trunk to get better traction in RWD cars. I think that helps also to keep the wheels down where there is power.
Also, if you can avoid it, avoid driving in the snow, while you may have done it all right, some other moron may not have.

Drive safe! Stay safe!
vineethvazhayil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 20:15   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I think a little bit of prep before the snow season starts is a good idea for any first timer - like ensuring all the fluids are topped up, tires are in good condition etc. Tire pressure indicators may glow in winter soon. Air would have compressed to indicate low pressure, mostly would go away once you move and the tires warm up. But make sure you have inflated tires to recommended (or a little above) pressure.
Yeah those are great tips too, specially about black ice.

Prepping reminds me of one more thing, though it is too late in the season for that now and it is more to do with maintaining your car. Before winter arrives, give your car a nice coat of a very good wax and polish. And then once the winter season is over, give another detailing session to your car, preferably with clay bar. That will help minimize the impact of salt, grit and grime that the car will be subjected to during the winters. Take your car to the car wash occasionally and get the underbody thoroughly cleaned. This will prevent rusting from the salt that's put on the roads. But do this very occasionally because a regular car wash with brush or soft cloth will eventually leave swirl marks and i am told that the brushless ones use very strong detergents. So, stick to only the occasional wash.
Old 16th January 2013, 22:38   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Mazda's and Nissan's are Japanese reliability at lower prices than the stalwarts Toyota and Honda. At least that's how the market perceives it. You will see similarly equipped Mazda/Nissan cars for 1-2k lesser in the new and used market as compared to the equivalent Honda/Toyota. Also, till the latest generation, Mazda's have not been the most fuel efficient in their segment, so the last gen models maybe much cheaper as well.

The Mazdaspeed3 is still available - bonkers quick and torque steering monster. They had to control the torque in first and second gears electronically to prevent people spinning out of control! Check it out if you can, it is a fun little car!
Couldn't agree more, Mazda3 hatch is a hot drive. I try to take it on rental every time I see it. Especially to drive up the canyons here in SoCal
Old 16th January 2013, 22:44   #1769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Couldn't agree more, Mazda3 hatch is a hot drive. I try to take it on rental every time I see it. Especially to drive up the canyons here in SoCal
If the Mazda 3 hatch is a hot drive, the Mazdaspeed is a "on steroids" version of the same buddy! It has 100 more horses and torque and is only available in six speed manual, people claim to do 0-60 in 5 and a bit seconds - you get the drift? Test drive it once, just to get a feel..
Old 16th January 2013, 23:07   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I have a 2.0L stick shift Mazda3 which is fun to drive in the city but struggles in the freeways. Once drove to SFO with 5 people on board and I had a hard time maintaining the speed limit.

Quote:
If the Mazda 3 hatch is a hot drive, the Mazdaspeed is a "on steroids" version of the same buddy! It has 100 more horses and torque and is only available in six speed manual, people claim to do 0-60 in 5 and a bit seconds - you get the drift? Test drive it once, just to get a feel..
Wish they came in AWD. Would have been more fun to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks