Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 09:22   #1741
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Another what car question
=========
Not a big fan of Accura, Infiniti or Lexus atleast in the SUV category.
Quote:
No Vineeth, the vehicle wont see much offroading, but if did pick a dedicated 4X4 I may surely make use of it by taking it to the dunes around. It will primarily be a daily drive.
Yea I surely like LR, but reliability is a huge concern.
Confusing posts above. The criteria seems to be budget more than any particular size (since the Explorer is much bigger than the GLK) - which makes one wonder if you had real towing or luggage issues. Neither do you want real off-road capability.

From what you say above, I can't fathom why you'd want an SUV, let alone a small girly one like the GLK. In the US, SUVs are mostly driven by women anyway because they need to sit higher and see. And California has ridiculous gas prices. Why not get a decent car instead? They handle better, can carry as much, use less gas,........ Not only does the GLK have a much smaller carrying capacity than decent midsize cars (like say an A4 Avant), but California offers huge choices in the used car market too...
Old 15th January 2013, 10:51   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I meant a used mazda6, I could get many options within the budget I had set for myself.

Yeah, its mostly going to be for my personal usage and hence size isnt a constraint. How much is a decent mileage that I can look for (are 70, 80k cars Ok)? Also what do you think about mitubishi lancer?
Mazda6 is again a good option. Its great to drive. You should also consider Mazda3 too. Couple of members here own it and are very happy with it. I am sure Mazda6 will just as be as good as 3. You will be able to find a great deal on 2012 mazda6 since in 2013, new 2014 mazda6 is coming and is also priced around $20k.

Just a couple of examples to get you started.

Dec 2012 - My friend bought a 2012 Mazda6 for $18k OTD. It was second version just above the base.

Late Dec 2012 - My colleague bought a 2012 Accord LX-P for $18.5K OTD. He also was coaxed into paying for an odd security system.

Please do inquire in your area about outgoing models of mazda6,altima and accord. All three are very common but it will have great resale, great reliability and it will be brand new. If you like Infiniti G35, you will find it in same price range. Do give it a try.

You will easily find 2005-2008 IS250 with 50k-80k mileage on odo quite easily. I did a search in my area and saw plenty of those going for ~$15k. 60K on odo is nothing for such cars. They will easily last you for years with regular maintenance.

Please don't consider a lancer unless its a Evo. The competition has moved far ahead in today's time. Mitsubishi is just sleeping when it comes to making its offering competitive.
Old 15th January 2013, 12:01   #1743
Senior - BHPian

So after a week the 335i feels great. Drove it till Livermoe. Particularly did that route because the 84 route with windmills and all, gave my mazda jitters due to crosswinds. Couldn't feel a thing with the bimmer on the same road.

On the flip side, the car is teaching me what "tramlining" means (it's my first car with wide/low-profile tires, or even with RWD). First felt shocked with it, worried over it for a couple of nights, fussed with tire pressures multiple times, then took it to the dealer. Double-checked that alignment and tire pressures are fine, and the service advisor test drove and said "its perfect". He gave me another 335i with sports package to test drive and feel the tramlining. I wouldn't believe it's "normal" till then (still find it difficult to believe). Wonder how people drive fast with low profile tires or even opt for the sports package. Is it due to ignorance like my case, or just a question of getting used to it? Anyway I don't mind if it is "normal" and isn't dangerous. Still, find it ironic.

Feeling utterly pampered with the auto-headlights, auto-wipers and the climate control. Together these things give a "just get in and drive" effect - rain or sun, night or day.

Oh and the best factor of all - at any speed, any time - just press the throttle and ZOOM! It lunges forward like an arrow. Put it in sports mode and even more so.

I tried using the paddle shifters and felt kinda weird. I feel like, why bother with all that when all I need is the throttle to go fast? Maybe it's an acquired taste?

The USB is a bit weird. I load it with a bunch of songs organized into various folders, but it seems to be able to play only one folder/album/artist at a time. There doesn't seem to be any "play all" option. Any 3 series owners familiar with this? If not i guess I can edit the album name of all the songs to the same name, or something. Hope I don't have to do something so clunky. The Sony USB-supported interface I had retrofitted on my Indica was better. Similarly the Bluetooth phone quality is good, but my Figo's was better.

The previous owner has put a ridiculously dark tint on the rear windshield. I'm hoping there's some way to take it off. I prefer no tints.

Overall .

Last edited by rajushank84 : 15th January 2013 at 12:08.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 12:19   #1744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Feeling utterly pampered with the auto-headlights, auto-wipers and the climate control. Together these things give a "just get in and drive" effect - rain or sun, night or day..
Yeah, know the feeling. Small word of caution. When you get in a different car without the auto-everything, you have to remember to switch everything on yourself. Especially the headlights. I've had a few cases where initially I forgot to turn on the headlights. My Jaguar has auto-everything but my wife's Fiesta has auto-nothing, so whenever I drive hers I need to remember to switch on the lights, AC, everything.

On the tramlining, you might want to check the various BMW forums, because no matter what the dealer will tell you, tires have a huge impact. On the forums there are usually many different opinions/experiences with respect to different tire brands and their respective effect on tramlining.

I changed to Michelin Sports for that reason.

Enjoy.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 16:52   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My Jaguar has auto-everything but my wife's Fiesta has auto-nothing, so whenever I drive hers I need to remember to switch on the lights, AC, everything.
Yes I experience the same thing whenever I have to drive my wife's Focus too.

Umm, you drive a Jag in Delhi?
Old 15th January 2013, 17:47   #1746
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
On the flip side, the car is teaching me what "tramlining" means (it's my first car with wide/low-profile tires, or even with RWD). First felt shocked with it, worried over it for a couple of nights, fussed with tire pressures multiple times, then took it to the dealer. Double-checked that alignment and tire pressures are fine, and the service advisor test drove and said "its perfect".
Are you still running on the stock run-flats? If yes, swap them out for a set of non run-flats and see the difference.

Glad you're enjoying your car!
Old 15th January 2013, 17:58   #1747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Umm, you drive a Jag in Delhi?
No, I drove my Jaguar for the three years I lived in Kansas City. In August 2012 I moved to Delhi because of my work. I've shipped the Jaguar back to my home country the Netherlands and I've bought a Royal Enfield here in Delhi!

Here's my Jaguar sitting in it's former natural habitat, the Kanas Prairie

And here's my latest, only picked it up this weekend at a shop in Karol Bagh:

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 18:38   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's my Jaguar sitting in it's former natural habitat, the Kanas Prairie
That is a fabulous picture of a stately car! Loved it!
So no car in Delhi now? Do you own anything else in Netherlands?
Old 15th January 2013, 18:48   #1749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I drove my Jaguar for the three years I lived in Kansas City.
Jeroen
You have nice taste!
I was about to pick up a used X type Jag for my wife but then backed out at the last minute because of the high mileage on it. We have put it in our bucket list for now.
Old 15th January 2013, 19:44   #1750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
That is a fabulous picture of a stately car! Loved it!
So no car in Delhi now? Do you own anything else in Netherlands?
I have a company car and driver, very boring but very reliable. Sort of people carrier/bus. I think it's grey, not sure of the brand. I couldn't be bothered. It just gets me and my wife around. My driver is excellent though!

In my home country I have a beautiful 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider and an equally nice, but very different 1982 Mercedes W123. We also have an old Ford Fiesta (2000or thereabouts) as a runabout for when we visit. Mind you, the Fiesta is for my wife and the kids use it when we are away. When I visit the Netherlands I pick up one of my three cars! I know a Alfa Romeo Workshop that also keeps car in storage. So all three cars sit there and are being looked after. And when I know I'm going to the Netherlands I call the owner a week in advance. He checks the cars out, makes sure they have a valid MOT, takes them for a spin so they're ready.

Here a link to some pictures of my cars: http://jeroendorrestein.com/Frances%...oens_toys.html

My wife and I flew to the Netherlands a few days before Christmas. Our daughter came to Amsterdam Airport in the Fiesta. Picked up my wife and our luggage. I went straight away to pick up the Jaguar! Drove it for two weeks for the very first time in the Netherlands

Quote:
You have nice taste!
I was about to pick up a used X type Jag for my wife but then backed out at the last minute because of the high mileage on it. We have put it in our bucket list for now.
I bought my Jaguar with close to 150.000 kilometers on the odometer. Used it as my daily drive every day. When I shipped it to the Netherlands it had some 220.000 km on it. Still worthwhile to ship it. Odometers under 250.000 kilometers on most modern cars don't worry me in the slightest. It means they're well run in. You do want to be able to check the maintenance history of the car though. Not sure how easy that would be in India.

Jeroen
Old 15th January 2013, 20:48   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my home country I have a beautiful 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider and an equally nice, but very different 1982 Mercedes W123. We also have an old Ford Fiesta (2000or thereabouts) as a runabout for when we visit.
I read your posts on the BMW/Audi/Merc sales thread and instantly realized that you may have some "different" cars under your ownership. I was not mistaken .

Loved the blog post btw, especially the Talbot and Kamikaze bit!
Old 15th January 2013, 20:54   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
@kraft;

If a midsize SUV will do, take a look at the Mazda CX7s. They're discontinued. You should be able to get a brand new one close to your budget. They're a hoot to drive and good looking too to boot.
How does the CX7 handle? I tend to like tad firm drives compared to softer ones. Will TD on this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I'm a big fan of Toyota SUV's. There is a reason why they are popular with Taliban and all 3rd world countries.. Reliablity.

In a Top gear episode , they tried to kill a Hilux Pickup and they did not succeed.
The toyota 4runner SUV is built on a Hilux platform or so.
Yes agree I did consider 4Runner, have heard good reviews bout it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I like GLK350. Its a pretty decent ride. I prefer it to X3 but i like Q5 better though it is still a newbie in used car market. My rating would be GLK350=Q5>X3.
Just for fun - How about a 2008-2011 corvette for $30k as your daily driver?
Yea I should probably visit a bunch of dealers on the same day. I have somehow never been a fan of Audi, I have a colleague who picked Q5 couple of weeks ago and hasn't stopped chanting its pros since. But will I get a Q5 at my budget?

I guess the list for the weekend will be Q5, CX7, 4Runner

Haha you've got me thinking on the Corvette man, esp after the launch this week I've been thinking I must get the vette. Would have surely thought if it was my 2nd car, needed a bigger car for road trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
Confusing posts above. The criteria seems to be budget more than any particular...... Not only does the GLK have a much smaller carrying capacity than decent midsize cars (like say an A4 Avant), but California offers huge choices in the used car market too...
Like I said, I'm not very particular on a 4X4, but if I get one in my budget I'd rather buy it and have fun. For eg. I saw a 2012 PathFinder 4X4 for 25k.
Interesting that you find SUVs to be girly.
I drive a Mustang that is giving me 15mpg, so if an SUV I buy gives me more is a happy note
Old 15th January 2013, 21:43   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hehe. Most of those 370 horses are huffing and puffing trying to move the behemoth.

Regarding the performance tune. It is delivered through a device that plugs into the car's OBD-II port and can be used to reflash the PCM with your custom tune, or one of the canned tunes that come with the device, or to just change some parameters like rev limiter etc.

It has some logging capabilities too using which you can send the logs to a professional tuner who will then send you back a custom tune. You load that tune from your PC (doesnt work on Mac) to the device and from the device to your car. Its used when you have some serious mods on your car though.

You dont need to keep it plugged in unless you are into logging or have set up customised gauges on the device. I have not yet played around with the gauges mode.
Sounds good, how much did it cost?

You are giving me ideas now. So far I have a list of Visual mods that I plan to do. But this gives me some idea on engine mods, let me search what's available for my car.

Looking forward to summers when I will probably get more Daylight to do some DIY, will mostly pull in aah78 as he is more of a DIYer than I am
Old 15th January 2013, 21:57   #1754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Sounds good, how much did it cost?

You are giving me ideas now. So far I have a list of Visual mods that I plan to do. But this gives me some idea on engine mods, let me search what's available for my car.

Looking forward to summers when I will probably get more Daylight to do some DIY, will mostly pull in aah78 as he is more of a DIYer than I am
The package deal was for 670 USD, including shipping. The tuner by itself sells for 600 USD and the intake for around 220USD. So, made sense to go for the package. Had to give up plans for getting an Iphone 5 for this. But i can live with that.

Its a sin to keep these cars stock specially free revving ones like Accords

The next mod in my list is a cosmetic one only though. I'll hide all the chrome in the front grill with Plasti-Dip. Seems quite a common thing to do. Best thing is that it is completely reversible.
EDIT: something like this:
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_1851.jpg

Last edited by amitoj : 15th January 2013 at 22:01.
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 22:15   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The package deal was for 670 USD, including shipping. The tuner by itself sells for 600 USD and the intake for around 220USD. So, made sense to go for the package. Had to give up plans for getting an Iphone 5 for this. But i can live with that.

Its a sin to keep these cars stock specially free revving ones like Accords

The next mod in my list is a cosmetic one only though. I'll hide all the chrome in the front grill with Plasti-Dip. Seems quite a common thing to do. Best thing is that it is completely reversible.
That's a great price. And giving up iphone 5 is a better option then not doing this.

I love plasti-dip. I have used it for various purposes in house and on car and it never disappoints. You don't like it, just peel it off. Its that easy.

Quote:

Yea I should probably visit a bunch of dealers on the same day. I have somehow never been a fan of Audi, I have a colleague who picked Q5 couple of weeks ago and hasn't stopped chanting its pros since. But will I get a Q5 at my budget?

I guess the list for the weekend will be Q5, CX7, 4Runner

Haha you've got me thinking on the Corvette man, esp after the launch this week I've been thinking I must get the vette. Would have surely thought if it was my 2nd car, needed a bigger car for road trips
I am seeing 2009-2010 Q5 3.2 Premium with 45k miles on odo going for $30k within 500 miles of SF. So i am pretty sure with a little bit of negotiation you can get them 31k OTD - the same as GLK350. I am pretty sure you will find similar deals or even better in LA.

I am seeing 2011 Mazda cx-7 with 20k-30K miles on odo going for $15K-$16K and new ones (2012) with 500 miles on odo going for $25k. So if you like it, aim for 2011, you will get better deal.

Last edited by chevelle : 15th January 2013 at 22:22.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks