Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 23:57   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Congrats Akas on CRV. Its a great soft roader. Wish you many miles of fun and smiles. Hard to go wrong with a Honda.

What is the model version? Is it fully loaded? It is 2WD or 4WD? Auto?

IMHO, extra warranty was not needed. Now that you have it, enjoy with even better peace of mind.
Old 15th December 2012, 00:37   #1562
BHPian

Congrats Akas! Looks like a EX/EX-L considering the sunroof. Here's wishing you many miles of safe and trouble free diving!
Old 16th December 2012, 00:35   #1563
BHPian

Thanks Mohit and Chevelle.
It's 2WD, auto, EX.
Took the insurance but i can cancel it any time and get back the pro-rate insurance amount.
As of now no plan for long drive in long weekend.
Old 17th December 2012, 01:46   #1564
BHPian

We will be driving from San Jose to San Diego next Friday. We will start at around 2pm in the afternoon. Any suggestions for a nice place for dinner on the way? It should have some decent vegetarian options for wifey.
Old 17th December 2012, 02:01   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi
We will be driving from San Jose to San Diego next Friday. We will start at around 2pm in the afternoon. Any suggestions for a nice place for dinner on the way? It should have some decent vegetarian options for wifey.
Look no further than the Pioneer blvd in Artesia in LA...you will get any number of options.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 23:47   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Are you looking for places in LA or enroute?

If you are taking CA1 then the choices are really limited. I'd suggest taking a stop in San Luis Obispo for good choice of food.
If you take 101, Solvang,CA is a nice stop, its a dutch village. Must try some danish pastries. Santa Barbara is also an option.

Let me know if you are looking for places in LA, I can list a bunch of good local places you definitely must try. And I would stay away from Artesia(No offence mazda4life), there is not a single place that serves good Indian food there IMO.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 00:50   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Are you looking for places in LA or enroute?

If you are taking CA1 then the choices are really limited. I'd suggest taking a stop in San Luis Obispo for good choice of food.
If you take 101, Solvang,CA is a nice stop, its a dutch village. Must try some danish pastries. Santa Barbara is also an option.

Let me know if you are looking for places in LA, I can list a bunch of good local places you definitely must try. And I would stay away from Artesia(No offence mazda4life), there is not a single place that serves good Indian food there IMO.
I'm looking for places enroute. I don't want to take a long detour but 10-15 miles should be OK if it doesn't mean getting stuck in traffic.

I was planning to take I-5. We want to reach San Diego as soon as possible. What route will be faster on Friday evening, 101 or I-5?
Old 18th December 2012, 01:44   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Ane epic shootout done by Motortrend. 2013 Corvette ZR1 vs 2013 Viper GTS.

Not only ZR1 comprehensively beat the Viper, ZR1 set a new lap record around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with time of just 1:33:70. It beat previous record hold by 2010 ACR Viper.

They also didn't find the interiors of new Viper appealing, poor ride quality compared to ZR1 and poor sound deadening leading to a feeling of going much faster than it actually is. This is while comparing to a 7 year old platform. It shows how far GM has come when developing Corvettes.

Can't wait for C7 to come out. Wonder what it would do to the Viper then.

More info here: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...srt_viper_gts/
Old 18th December 2012, 01:58   #1569
BHPian

First of all - Thanks a ton Sumeet and VLOCT.. Really appreciate your patience in answering all my silly questions.

Finally after a lot of searching, i have managed to zero in on a Mazda 6 2010 i Sport done 30K miles - Final agreed OTD price is 13K,

I know its on the higher side, but i suck in bargaining and i needed a car immediately, so hence had to go for this.

I should be getting the car tomorrow. I am stuck on the insurance front though. I have been trying Geico,StateFarm and Progressive - I am getting $210/month quote for the car.

Is this way too high or am i doing something wrong? Do i need to call the insurance agent and negotiate on this?

Is there something else that i need to be doing?
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 02:06   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post

I should be getting the car tomorrow. I am stuck on the insurance front though. I have been trying Geico,StateFarm and Progressive - I am getting $210/month quote for the car.

Is this way too high or am i doing something wrong? Do i need to call the insurance agent and negotiate on this?

Is there something else that i need to be doing?
Congratulations on the car! Mazda 6 would be the most fun to drive in that segment.
Your insurance quote is very likely to be that high if you are getting insured for the first ever time, have little or no credit history and have recently acquired a US driving license. Get one to start off and try to change insurance after a month or two. You should definitely see a price decrease.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 02:13   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Congratulations on the car! Mazda 6 would be the most fun to drive in that segment.
Thank bunch Vineeth. Yes i have no driving history or credit history in the US .
Is there any other insurance providers that i need to try with ?
Old 18th December 2012, 02:16   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any other insurance providers that i need to try with ?
Shopping around can never hurt. But you will see better results if you shop after you keep this insurance for a few days/weeks. I think it takes that much time for records to reflect that you have had some driving and insurance history. I'm a big fan of Geico's and it took a employee special pricing plan from someone else to make me enroll elsewhere. I have heard good things about Amica in terms of rates and service. I'm not sure about what the other bhpians would recommend, but we have had this discussion in some earlier pages on this very own thread.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 04:06   #1573
BHPian

@Torro,

Congrats on the car. We have talked about insurance on this thread quite a bit. Try an insurance agent who represents a number of insurance companies. Ask for the breakdown on your insurance quote and check to see what you don't need such as medical coverage, towing (AAA is much cheaper, they have insurance as well although, I don't know how good their service is). No short cuts, just keep trying. Also remember, your neighborhood makes a big difference.

$210/month is way too high in my opinion but, if you're in your 20s with no driving/insurance history, you belong to the 'sock it to me' category, unfortunately. You'll be fine in a few months when you should shop around again.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 05:24   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
@Torro,

Congrats on the car.
Thanks VLOCT , though you didnt comment on my car choice
Old 18th December 2012, 05:41   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks VLOCT , though you didnt comment on my car choice
It's a solid choice and a good looking one at that. I like the driving dynamics of Mazdas. I think you'll enjoy driving this car more than the boring Camry or the ho-hum Accord. Much better road holding and steering feel which, as I mentioned before, is what really interests me.

Sorry for the perceived lack of enthusiasm.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks