Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:52   #1486
Senior - BHPian

Re: Evaluate used car please

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I'm looking for an used car in US.

I've selected these. Can anybody suggest me which one i should buy?
The jetta and nisssan are the ones which caught my eye. Check some suv as it gives you some comfort over long distances and could probably get a better deal.

Do check other sites and for the ford taurus and chevys too. These have more value with lower miles as compared to the jap trio.
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:03   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj

Welcome to State side! You are only 24 hours driving distance from me
But i think libranof1987 is somewhere near you!
Thank you.
Actually i did not expect anyone near Minneapolis area as many will not prefer this place because of extreme winters.
Good to see you.
Oh.Is there any way to tag libranof1987 in this post as my PM was not yet enabled i guess.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:31   #1488
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Thanks Chevelle, Amitoj and maddy for your input.
I'm in no hurry and look for all the options to get one.
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:07   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220

Thank you.
Actually i did not expect anyone near Minneapolis area as many will not prefer this place because of extreme winters.
Good to see you.
Oh.Is there any way to tag libranof1987 in this post as my PM was not yet enabled i guess.
Feels glad to hear about some one in this city- i was there for 2 years till '09. Indeed, not much "talked of" place (probably in India) but we do have a good desi population, I am sure. Enjoy the stay, the winters and the winters
(I saw your 'ivy' post, but choosing to reply here) when I landed, I drove with my indian DL for almost 3-4 months before I got my MN DL. I should say I got it in my 3rd attempt, thanks to some part to my Indian driving experience going thru a driving school is the way! Because unlearning is also very much needed I would say, wrt to my experience. Else I was in comfort all the way.
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:51   #1490
Senior - BHPian

Re: Evaluate used car please

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I'm looking for an used car in US.

I've selected these. Can anybody suggest me which one i should buy?
Personally i like mustang and Jeep. BUt i've a family of 3, so Mustang may not be an practical option. Need this car for daily use off to home and grocery. Monthly run around 1200 miles.

Can spend max 10K or if it's a good car may stretch another 2K.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3418719788.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3407924485.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3358521080.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3417324906.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3395677108.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3426535699.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3420205442.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3426554628.html
You should also look at autotrader and cars.com where you can search with a few more conditions (make/model/year mileage etc) . The old Jeeps are not well built or reliable, so are the old mustangs except the top models. Go for a full size sedan, under 60k miles while you search. You should be able to find a few on these websites.
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:11   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Feels glad to hear about some one in this city- i was there for 2 years till '09. Indeed, not much "talked of" place (probably in India) but we do have a good desi population, I am sure. Enjoy the stay, the winters and the winters
(I saw your 'ivy' post, but choosing to reply here) when I landed, I drove with my indian DL for almost 3-4 months before I got my MN DL. I should say I got it in my 3rd attempt, thanks to some part to my Indian driving experience going thru a driving school is the way! Because unlearning is also very much needed I would say, wrt to my experience. Else I was in comfort all the way.
Thank you for the reply.
Yes i see good number of desis here. But, its not anywhere near the other popular states among desis.
Yeah..the winters
I am still not experienced with a typical Minnesotan winter, as this is just my 4th month and 1st winter here.
I took a knowledge test here yesterday and i did not get through it, as i was over-confident and did not read the manual and took the test between two classes
People warned me about the MN driving license not being easy to get, but i did not expect that.
In which state are you currently in ?
I do have a IDP, but dont have wheels to drive.
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:16   #1492
BHPian

I am back in Chennai since long since '09 as I hinted.
Yeah, over confidence was possibly my asset too, grrr.. when I took my first MN driving test, where I failed, and then the second one too, albeit a bit less huh! I had my normal Indian DL with which I started driving right from the 2nd week after landing.
Old 26th November 2012, 21:44   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
Thank you.
Good to see you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'm not in B'lore anymore so no spotting there.
Lets see if this gets his attention!!

It seems the driving test here in Nashua is pretty easy. There is just one examiner and everyone knows what all he looks out for
Old 27th November 2012, 04:04   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Guys any thoughts on Forester?
I had drove Outback from rental in CO, absolutely loved the way it handled the mountains there.

I haven't had a chance to Test drive any cars yet, I will probably be doing it this weekend. Shall keep you updated.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 27th November 2012 at 04:06.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:22   #1495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I had drove Outback from rental in CO, absolutely loved the way it handled the mountains there.

I haven't had a chance to Test drive any cars yet, I will probably be doing it this weekend. Shall keep you updated.
Its a great car. Concentrate on CVT, interior and brakes when test driving it. Rest all is good.

Won't comment on looks as it varies from person to person, but if you like the estate-crossover looks, you would be please with the way it rides, handles at all times in all sorts of weather and awesome cargo and interior room.

Also, looking at the specs of 4-cylinder, i am sure it is slow (3500 lbs and just 173hp don't require much math), but you know where i am coming from.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 07:20   #1496
BHPian

People who own Subaru crossovers seem to love them. I'm not sure of their use in California where there is very little snow unless, some kinda mild off-roading is in the cards. Surfers and/or ski/snow boarders are another group among which the Subaru is very popular.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 19:38   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Its a great car. Concentrate on CVT, interior and brakes when test driving it. Rest all is good.

Won't comment on looks as it varies from person to person, but if you like the estate-crossover looks, you would be please with the way it rides, handles at all times in all sorts of weather and awesome cargo and interior room.

Also, looking at the specs of 4-cylinder, i am sure it is slow (3500 lbs and just 173hp don't require much math), but you know where i am coming from.
Yes totally agree its really low on power, nevertheless the manual mode made it lots of fun in the hills. And I just loved the way it handled. There is a 3.6L 256bhp, 6cyl version. But then yea its priced higher and I'm not sure how many pre-owned Subarus are available

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
People who own Subaru crossovers seem to love them. I'm not sure of their use in California where there is very little snow unless, some kinda mild off-roading is in the cards. Surfers and/or ski/snow boarders are another group among which the Subaru is very popular.
Yes R, i'm not sure if the vehicle will ever offroad, its going to be mostly highway miles.

I saw in the Subaru web, the CrossTrek. well priced and lower power 2L ,148 horses
Old 27th November 2012, 20:44   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post

I'm not sure if you are looking to buy a car, and are an experienced driver in the US or not, but Subaru's do have a bit of a cult following here. Many owners will end up keeping a Subaru for life because these cars give an excellent value for money and are fairly high up there on the dependability, functionality and longevity indexes too.

No matter how weak or bland, these vehicles are quite capable of taking you to work come rain, sun or snow. From what I see, these vehicles somehow manage to develop a man-machine bond with the owner over time. To be honest I haven't heard someone rant negatively about a Subaru in my circles, as much as I may have from owners of other brands.

If you want an Alaskan Husky for a car, this is one brand you may want to consider.

Having said all that, good luck with your car hunt (if you are hunting, that is). Usually the biggest rational dilemma in car-buying is in arriving at the practical sweet spot between your heart and your wallet. You may find your calling in a sleek Mazda-3 or a humongous Sequoia, who knows
Old 27th November 2012, 20:54   #1499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
I'm not sure if you are looking to buy a car, and are an experienced driver in the US or not, but Subaru's do have a bit of a cult following here. Many owners will end up keeping a Subaru for life because these cars give an excellent value for money and are fairly high up there on the dependability, functionality and longevity indexes too.

No matter how weak or bland, these vehicles are quite capable of taking you to work come rain, sun or snow. From what I see, these vehicles somehow manage to develop a man-machine bond with the owner over time. To be honest I haven't heard someone rant negatively about a Subaru in my circles, as much as I may have from owners of other brands.

If you want an Alaskan Husky for a car, this is one brand you may want to consider.

Having said all that, good luck with your car hunt (if you are hunting, that is). Usually the biggest rational dilemma in car-buying is in arriving at the practical sweet spot between your heart and your wallet. You may find your calling in a sleek Mazda-3 or a humongous Sequoia, who knows
Yes NinadJoshi, I agree that people who own Subaru are never ready to let it go. Like I said I had an amazing experience driving it in the Rockies last summer.
The whole discussion I'm having is for a friend of mine who is looking to buy. US car market is vast that he comes up with a new option everyday based on his discussion with other folks around!!!
Old 27th November 2012, 22:21   #1500
Senior - BHPian

I know this is totally OT but does anyone know of any good short term furnished accomodations in Toronto? I need it for a couple of weeks starting this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks