Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:28   #3586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
ID 746:

after a little googling i think the car would be - "1929 Chenard et Walcker"
Brilliant Googling, I must say. Although I'd be happiest if you could disclose the name of the car as well.

Anyway. The full name of the car is the Chenard et Walcker Tank.
Chenard-Walcker, also known as Chenard & Walcker and Chenard et Walcker was a French automobile manufacturer, from 1900 to 1946. The factory was at first in Asnières-sur-Seine moving to Gennevilliers in 1906.
Ernest Chenard (1861-1922) was a railway engineer and maker of bicycles with a factory in Asnières-sur-Seine. He joined with mining engineer Henri Walcker (1877-1912) in 1898 to make motor tricycles. They formally founded Chenard, Walkcer et Compagnie in 1900 with Chenard in charge of design and Walcker sales and finance. In the same year made their first four wheel car.

Chenard et Walcker holds the unique distinction of winning the 24 hr Le Mans in the year of its inception - 1923.

This "tank" car had a 1.5L OHV engine, which was pretty robust to be converted from road to track use with minimal modifications. It earned the name "tank" due to its shape, recessed lights within the grille, and those artillery-lookalike wheels. Even the engine was accessed by 2 "hatches" opening up from the top of the bonnet.

Recently one such "tank" coupe of 1931 vintage has come up for sale through Hyman Ltd of US, for the meagre sum of USD 225,000!
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:33   #3587
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
...recessed lights within the grille,
Au contraire, mon frère, the car looks as bug-eyed as they come with external headlamps and external parking lights.

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-bugeyed.jpg

Where are the recessed lights within the grille?

Quote:
and those artillery-lookalike wheels.
These are not artillery wheels typical of 1920s automobiles.
Artillery wheels on 1920s cars were spoked wheels. The spokes were made of forged steel or seam-welded from pressed steel. These spokes were mitred together and mounted to a solid metal nave or hub. Very early cars had oak spokes, fastened to ash felloes on the outer side and a metal nave on the inner.

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-artillerywheel.jpg

The wheels on the Tank are simple stamped steel wheels, as plain vanilla as they come!

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-1929stampedsteelwheel.jpg

Ram
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:00   #3588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Where are the recessed lights within the grille?
Dear Sir

Here are the recessed lights I was talking about. My earlier pic doesnt show them clearly, but they were very much present.

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-showprewarcar.jpg

Quote:
These are not artillery wheels typical of 1920s automobiles.
Artillery wheels on 1920s cars were spoked wheels. The spokes were made of forged steel or seam-welded from pressed steel. These spokes were mitred together and mounted to a solid metal nave or hub. Very early cars had oak spokes, fastened to ash felloes on the outer side and a metal nave on the inner.

The wheels on the Tank are simple stamped steel wheels, as plain vanilla as they come!

Ram
I really must be careful about the wordings I use. What I meant was not artillery wheels in the sense vintage enthusiasts use them. Instead, the wheels looked very much like tank wheels, and last heard, tanks are classified as artillery .

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-tank-wheels.jpg

sommes nous d'accord?
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:08   #3589
BHPian

The front wheel in the tank pictured above is a spoked one which probably is 'literally' referred to by vintage enthusiasts, Preds 'figuratively' referred to the rest.
You both are right in your chosen words. A good knowledge sharing indeed.
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:58   #3590
Ram
Senior - BHPian

This is a second world war 1942-44 Henschel Panzerkampfwagen VI a.k.a. "Tiger I" tank.

Bearing ID no. 131, it is the sole running survivor of the 1,298 produced.
Currently located at the Bovington Tank Museum at Bovington Camp 25 km west of Bournemouth, UK.

The front driving sprocket you allude to, AltoHoncho is a forged suspensionless sprocket not a spoked wheel.

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-tigertanksprocket.jpg

Like the driving sprocket on a bicycle moves the chain, its job is to propel the manganese alloy steel track
over the road wheels and to the rear idler sprocket.

On the other hand the slightly conical featureless wheel with six bolts, wears a solid rubber tire.
The Tiger I had [FONT=Verdana,Courier][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]8 such triple [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]wheels per axle on each side of the vehicle.

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-tigertankwheels.jpg

The wheel of the 1929 Chenard et Walcker car is just a plain vanilla pressed sheetmetal wheel like that of a Premier Padmini, if you will. Granted, it is missing the brake cooling holes, that's all. It wears plain pneumatic tires

Viel Spaß meinen Freunden!
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:54   #3591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Viel Spaß meinen Freunden!
Brilliant Sir, as long as we were discussing a French vehicle, you wrote French. Now that the topic is the German tank, what other language than German?

BTW, meinen freunden means My friend, Viel means deal. What does Spaß mean?

Quote:
This is a second world war 1942-44 Henschel Panzerkampfwagen VI a.k.a. "Tiger I" tank.
Bearing ID no. 131, it is the sole running survivor of the 1,298 produced.
Currently located at the Bovington Tank Museum at Bovington Camp 25 km west of Bournemouth, UK.
Brilliant again. Now you're not only identifying vehicles put up for identification, but also those put up for reference. I put up a tank pic for reference to tank wheels, and you identified the model and the location of the tank.

Thank goodness I didn't refer to cars with dogleg gearboxes or spoke nipples. Imagine what all pics I'd have to put up,or what hidden depths your location identification would have let you to ("This leg belongs to the Dog Brutus, which was an Afghan Hound, alive between 1947 to 1957. Its bones are on display at the Taliban Museum of Biology")!

Quote:
The wheel of the 1929 Chenard et Walcker car is just a plain vanilla pressed sheetmetal wheel like that of a Premier Padmini, if you will. Granted, it is missing the brake cooling holes, that's all. It wears plain pneumatic tires
Agreed. The people who named the Chenard et Walcker vehicle "the Tank" only probably went by the visual similarity with a tank wheel. Shall we close this chapter for now?

ID 747

Ok, enough bakar. Since no one is coming forward, here's ID 747 for you:

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-who-am-i-2.jpg
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:53   #3592
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, meinen freunden means My friend, Viel means deal. What does Spaß mean?
The German expression: Viel Spaß means "Much Fun" or Enjoy!
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:02   #3593
BHPian

Id 747

Quote:
ID 747

Ok, enough bakar. Since no one is coming forward, here's ID 747 for you:

Attachment 250011
Rosengart LR 539 Supertraction Cabriolet

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th December 2009 at 02:52. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:49   #3594
Senior - BHPian

Yes,that's a typical Rosengart signature grille!

Here's ID 748.
Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-guess12.jpg
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:59   #3595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCarConsulting View Post
ID 747

Absolutely correct sir. It is the very rare French Rosengart, supertraction cabriolet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Really?. Well I and the other users of this forum have very little knowledge of the marque. Did Rosengart even have a typical grille design? Care to share why you say it is the typical grille design?
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:11   #3596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
More such samples if you can share, as I couldnt find much info about Rosengarts except same what is mentioned in Wiki, which says:

Till 1937 Rosengarts were actually licensed copies of Austin 7, 1937 is when supertraction came but was very limited in numbers (so less that the count isnt mentioned there ), 1947 was the last car rosengart manufactured which didnt sell at all. Between '37 - '47 rosengart was transferred to Societé Industrielle de l'Ouest Parisien, and also devastated by the Nazi invasion. Also, whatever they manufactured were actually licensed copies of Adlers Trumpf.
So which 'signature grille' are we referring to here. Is it the Austin inspired one or the Adler inspired one.

ID748: The side windows look like inspired from a Saab Sonett III but its front grille was different so I am sure this isnt a Saab, looking at the current trend of posting rare ones, I think I need to do some search now.

Last edited by AltoHoncho : 23rd December 2009 at 14:22.
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:07   #3597
BHPian

Quote:
Here's ID 748.
Attachment 250052

Abarth powered coupe : 1971 OTAS Lombardi GP

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th December 2009 at 02:51.
Old 23rd December 2009, 23:55   #3598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Abarth powered coupe : 1971 OTAS Lombardi GP
Thats right! Its a Fiat 850 based Lombardi Grand Prix!

Quote:

Really?. Well I and the other users of this forum have very little knowledge of the marque. Did Rosengart even have a typical grille design? Care to share why you say it is the typical grille design?
err..What I meant was a few Rosengarts had similar design cues as far as the grille design goes!
1940 Rosengart Supercinq
Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-2005316_retro2005rosengartweblarge.jpg

1951 Rosengart Break Vivor

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-rosengart_vivor_cat_51.jpg

1938 Rosengart Type LR 4 N 2

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-1938_rosengartlr4n2_01.jpg

1938 Rosengart Supertraction Lr 539
Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-std_1938_rosengart_supertraction_lr_539.jpg

Last edited by AyAn! : 23rd December 2009 at 23:57.
Old 24th December 2009, 01:03   #3599
BHPian

Id749

Next one............. a very specific car
Attached Thumbnails
Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-8521.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th December 2009 at 02:56. Reason: Re-uploading as a JPG since that shows with a thumbnail, unlike BMPs.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:21   #3600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding this 'Supertraction' - out of curiousity, was this a full time production car? Judging by the size and wheels, I would guess it to be a coachbuilt Citroen Traction. I had put up something equally curious here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1471351-post2990.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks