Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:08   #3481
BHPian

Extra clue for ID:722

Here's a more revealing shot:

As you can see, the overall shape is rather unique.
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:09   #3482
BHPian

Looks like I'm forced to reveal the identity of ID:722. It's a Glas 1304 CL, part of the 04 model range (also encompassing the 1004 & 1204) introduced in 1962 and manufactured until 1968.

Last edited by Double Mac : 23rd November 2009 at 14:11.
Old 23rd November 2009, 23:19   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Nice one there! For once it crossed my mind it was a Glas.The lines are quite similar to the 1700GT.But then I forgot about it!.Could have nailed it with a little more googling

Anyways here's ID 724.Guess this red soft-top.Should be a cake-walk!
Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-guess4.jpg
Old 24th November 2009, 08:16   #3484
BHPian

Mac introduces the extremely tough ID:725

ID:724 is indeed a cakewalk. It's an early 1980's Reliant Scimitar GTC. I prefer the earlier GTE myself.

Alright, ID:725 is based on another, decidedly iconic model. You can say that it was to that model what the Zimmer Quicksilver was to the Pontiac Fiero. Identifying the base car will be a walk in the park, identifying the resulting conversion can prove extremely difficult... unless you're familiar with it, of course.

Let me assure you that it wasn't a one-off - 12 units were produced within the space of 3 years. Good luck!

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th November 2009 at 12:24. Reason: marking the new id in Bold :)
Old 24th November 2009, 21:21   #3485
Ram
Senior - BHPian

ID:725 is a tough one.
The air-extractor vent on the front fender to pull out engine heat, was used on Pontiac Firebird TransAms. So I am guessing this is a Pontiac Firebird T/A based conversion.

Interestingly there was also a Stutz Bearcat convertible that was based on Pontiac Firebird mechanicals. It also had a retrostyle faux radiator vertical grille and also had a contruction run of twelve.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:58   #3486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
(...) The air-extractor vent on the front fender to pull out engine heat, was used on Pontiac Firebird TransAms. So I am guessing this is a Pontiac Firebird T/A based conversion.
As I said, this was the easy part. Here's a coupe version without the side vents:

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-bhp004b.jpg

I only know that the car was based on 'a' Firebird but the shape unmistakably points to an early 2nd gen (1970-73) model. Incidentally, that's my favorite Firebird generation (same for the Camaro) so I'm not exactly happy about this particular conversion.

Since the car can be rather difficult to track down, let me add that it was introduced in 1979 in a European country not immediately associated with anything automotive... if you don't count a certain classy, Italian-designed, Chrysler V8-equipped model which is often considered a Jensen Interceptor competitor.

Quote:
Interestingly there was also a Stutz Bearcat convertible that was based on Pontiac Firebird mechanicals. It also had a retrostyle faux radiator vertical grille and also had a contruction run of twelve.
That's a great find, sir! Having just taken a look at some Firebird-based Stutz models I must admit that they look a little funny because of their diminutive dimensions.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:32   #3487
Senior - BHPian

If its not a Virgil Exner design id be very very surprised, until someone has been "Inspired by the man"..... good one as usual Double Mac.

A Siata by any chance?

Last edited by V-16 : 25th November 2009 at 14:35.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:49   #3488
Senior - BHPian

Cluedo

Double Mac, I've said this before, and I'll say this again. Clues will be your undoing!

ID 725 is the 1979 Felber Excellance (note the misspelt "a" in the name)

Now to how I got it. You gave the hint of a classy Italian designed, Chrysler V8 equipped car, that too in a European country not associated with anything automotive. The obvious answer that comes to mind is the elegant Monteverdi 375L from Switzerland. It was designed by Frua. Widely acknowledged as a true GT and competitor to the Interceptor, but doubly priced.

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-monteverdi-375l.jpg

You had also quoted that it was from 1979. So all I had to do was to look for a Swiss Manufacturer of that period who had some Pontiac associations!

For the last time, stop giving so many hints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Mac View Post
Since the car can be rather difficult to track down, let me add that it was introduced in 1979 in a European country not immediately associated with anything automotive... if you don't count a certain classy, Italian-designed, Chrysler V8-equipped model which is often considered a Jensen Interceptor competitor.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 25th November 2009 at 14:50.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:39   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Double Mac, I've said this before, and I'll say this again. Clues will be your undoing! (...) For the last time, stop giving so many hints!
Has it even crossed your mind that I simply wanted the car to be identified for a change? My previous couple of entries turned out to be overly puzzling so I decided to make things a little easier this time. I still have to give you credit for tracking this one down because the info is definitely scarce!

Finally, I believe the name is, indeed, spelled 'properly', ie 'Excellence'. Here's a link to a related German Wiki page.
Old 25th November 2009, 16:48   #3490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has it even crossed your mind that I simply wanted the car to be identified for a change? My previous couple of entries turned out to be overly puzzling so I decided to make things a little easier this time.
Ok sir. This is the last time I crib about anyone's habits on this thread. Besides the obvious thrill of identifying an obscure car, I hang around here for the immense knowledge this thread gives me.

So I'll stick to those core values and leave you alone for a change. Post away!

Quote:
Finally, I believe the name is, indeed, spelled 'properly', ie 'Excellence'. Here's a link to a related German Wiki page.
I found one web link where its spelt with an "a". Who knows?

Edit - Ok, seeing Ram's post below, let me clarify why I hate hints once and for all.

When people view this thread, everybody's level of knowledge is not expected to be the same. Some knowledgeable people see design clues on the car and identify the genre/country/design school it comes from. They try to find out from knowledge, or from an internet search. They know what they are looking for.

Others, who have no clue about historical marques, just do a random google search. They dont know what they're looking for. Obviously the chances of the second school of people finding the right answer are scarce.

Now if the originator were to keep throwing away hints, the second school of people only get more and more "matches" to refine their google searches. So instead of acting as a source of knowledge, this thread becomes a "fastest googler wins" thread. This is my basic crib.

Do give hints, but not so obvious as country of origin or numbers built.

@Ram - About your first sentence, you would appreciate that my so called "internet search engine" hit was based on informed knowledge. If someone else had figured out the Monteverdi part, they would have answered by now.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 25th November 2009 at 17:07. Reason: Plenty of tries to clarify my stand
Old 25th November 2009, 16:50   #3491
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ID 725 is the 1979 Felber Excellance (note the misspelt "a" in the name)
Sir, Not only bad spelling, but also defects in factual data will plague one, if one bases their knowledge on a single website, hit with some Internet search engine.

Quote:
Double Mac, I've said this before, and I'll say this again. Clues will be your undoing!
For the last time, stop giving so many hints!
I also submit that, this thread was not created to dumbfound the knowledge-deficient among our friends! Rather than flooring everybody with some uninteresting obscure model that blocks the thread for days on end, it is more fun to let no more than 48 hours elapse, before closing the question with an informative and well-articulated answer.

We love Double Mac's depth of knowledge which he is so open about sharing -- his hints protect this thread from becoming boring. Appreciate your expression, style and temperament. Keep it up, friend.

Last edited by Ram : 25th November 2009 at 16:51. Reason: Looks like we composed our posts almost simultaneously! :-)
Old 25th November 2009, 17:11   #3492
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Id:726

Here's an easy mass-produced sedan.

Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-whatsmynameid726.jpg
Old 25th November 2009, 17:30   #3493
BHPian

Well... judging by those air vents I'd say that ID:726 is a 1936 DeSoto Airstream Custom Sedan.
Old 25th November 2009, 19:01   #3494
BHPian

(I hate double-posting but I need to address a couple of points.)

Quote:
Do give hints, but not so obvious as country of origin or numbers built.
Let me be frank with you. I'm not underestimating you but I don't believe you would have managed to find the Excellence without those hints. Most probably, you would have gone through a list of American manufacturers and become bored after a fruitless search binge. And I really don't enjoy it when guessers become so frustrated with cluelessness that they lose interest in the game. (I'm way past that shallow sort of amusement.) I didn't feel the least bit satisfied about the fact that no one managed to identify my Glas 1304 CL. In retrospect, I regret not having given away the country of origin as that might have provided a further incentive to search for the model and, ultimately, to learn something along the way.

Quote:
If someone else had figured out the Monteverdi part, they would have answered by now.
So, consequently, I gave you an opportunity to identify two cars in one go - picking up my Monteverdi hint was an admirable accomplishment in itself - and you're still unhappy?

Just for clarification, I was referring to the entire range of High Speed 375 models also encompassing the original Frua-designed 1968-69 375/S coupé, as well as the 375/C drophead and the 375/4 sedan from the 'Fissore years'. Most of the variants can be found at the Monteverdi Museum in Binningen, Switzerland and admired on this page.

Quote:
We love Double Mac's depth of knowledge which he is so open about sharing -- his hints protect this thread from becoming boring. Appreciate your expression, style and temperament. Keep it up, friend.
Coming from you, sir, this can only be a compliment to me. (I still consider myself a mere search engine abuser though.) Let me attempt to return it by admitting that it was your overwhelmingly informative contributions to this thread (who can forget the aptly quoted dialogue from 'My Cousin Vinny', for instance?) and your choice of rare classics that inspired me to join the forum in the first place. Not that I don't appreciate the input of the remaining participants but your posts definitely stand out. They make me keep recommending this thread to all my friends who happen to share my enthusiasm for obscure vintage models.
Old 27th November 2009, 00:12   #3495
Senior - BHPian

It seems that I've missed out on a lot of action in the last couple of days!
So here's ID 727.Id this classy red convertible! Should be quite easy for the veterans of this thread I guess!
Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!)-guess5.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks