Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2024, 00:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lexus wants to achieve consistent "driving taste" across its entire model lineup

According to media reports, Lexus is aiming to achieve a consistent "driving taste" across its entire model lineup.

Toshinori Ito, Project Manager, Lexus, stated, "We are aiming for the same driving taste, no matter what Lexus model you are riding in." To do this, the company is looking to stiffen up its cars, in order to improve driveability. As per reports, Lexus engineers are mostly focused on making the rear modules stiffer, but now they want to make rigidity enhancements to its front too. The company also states that additional supports are being added to "the front module and to the front and rear tunnel segments."

Lexus wants to achieve consistent "driving taste" across its entire model lineup-lexus.jpg

Reports mention that the brand's electric RZ were launched with them, while the NX received them as updates over the last two years. The company has been benchmarking their models against the likes of Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche & BMW. Ito stated, "We didn’t fully understand the four body positions. We learned about it from studying the competition. When we realized it, we wanted to add it to all Lexus models."

Source: AutoNews

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 2nd September 2024 at 00:18.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 00:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lexus wants to achieve consistent "driving taste" across its entire model lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
To do this, the company is looking to stiffen up its cars, in order to improve driveability. As per reports, Lexus engineers are mostly focused on making the rear modules stiffer, but now they want to make rigidity enhancements to its front too.

The company has been benchmarking their models against the likes of Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche & BMW.
Good lord, please no Lexus! Those who want a BMW or an Audi will get a BMW or an Audi, no one wants a Japanese clone of German cars. Lexus is popular for a reason - primarily their supple ride combined with legendary reliability. It chasing the German car formula that sunk Cadillac which doesn't have any decent models left apart from the Escalade but they can get away with it because of the local US market, Lexus doesn't have that luxury. Also, Genesis is really grabbing market share making exemplary cars, moreover, their cars genuinely seem better than Lexus these days.
dragracer567 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 08:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lexus wants to achieve consistent "driving taste" across its entire model lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Toshinori Ito, Project Manager, Lexus, stated, "We are aiming for the same driving taste, no matter what Lexus model you are riding in." To do this, the company is looking to stiffen up its cars, in order to improve driveability. As per reports, Lexus engineers are mostly focused on making the rear modules stiffer, but now they want to make rigidity enhancements to its front too. The company also states that additional supports are being added to "the front module and to the front and rear tunnel segments."
The company has been benchmarking their models against the likes of Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche & BMW. Ito stated,
The beginning of the end for Lexus. When companies start to forget who their customer is and what that customer values in the product then daft decisions like this get made. One attribute, other than engineering excellence & sheer reliability, that drew customers like me to Lexus is the softer ride. Without the softer cushier back seat ride a part of the value of a Lexus is lost.

Lexus saying they are following the path of Audi, Mercedes etc is like the class topper saying he is learning how to study from the chaps in the middle ranks.

To say this is a disappointment is an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Also, Genesis is really grabbing market share making exemplary cars, moreover, their cars genuinely seem better than Lexus these days.
+1 Genesis' interiors will give Lexus a run for their money. A neighbour of mine is a South Korean mid-level diplomat. He has a Genesis and by jove the looks and the interiors put Lexus to shame.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 2nd September 2024 at 08:29.
V.Narayan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 11:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Lexus is like a headless chicken for almost a decade now. Post TNGA Toyotas have become so good, that the Lexus premium seems now more like badge snobbery, unlike earlier when it meant a sea of difference in refinement and quality even if it shared the same mechanical underpinings with Toyotas.

They have killed off models like the GS and there is no concrete information on a next gen IS or LS. And it has ended up with the ES shouldering the responsibility of three models on its shoulders. Pity that Genesis is becoming what Lexus fans dreamt how Lexus would be.

Though am not sure what they mean by consistent 'driving taste'. Not sure about how they drive different, but except for the FJ Cruiser and 86, I had the 'same taste' while sitting in the driver's seat of any post 2010 Toyota from the Yaris to the Landcruiser. Something about the basic driving position to the controls feels same in a Toyota across the board. A good thing or bad thing depends on how you look at it.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 11:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Lexus is like a headless chicken for almost a decade now. Post TNGA Toyotas have become so good, that the Lexus premium seems now more like badge snobbery, unlike earlier when it meant a sea of difference in refinement and quality even if it shared the same mechanical underpinings with Toyotas.
It’s not just Lexus that’s struggling from Toyota’s rejuvenation. In the olden days, the Camry was the reliable option but its Honda and/or Nissan rivals drive better and had better interiors. But since the last generation, the Camry has become so good that it has made the other cars in its segment irrelevant though Honda is close. This is especially as sedan sales decline in general. I don’t think Toyota has dominated this segment at such a margin since the Cressida days!
dragracer567 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2024, 11:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... I don’t think Toyota has dominated this segment at such a margin since the Cressida days!
Also I do feel that IMHO, post Cressida, Toyota intentionally made their normal Toyotas worse to drive or had serious decontenting going on. The 90s Camry was far superior to the one introduced in the late 90s.

They had to kill off the Cressida to make way for the Lexus. What car it was!!! (even if I admit am looking at the past with rose tints)
A car that could be both attractive to a person who would buy an American car or to a person who would buy a German car. In short, a Japanese amalmagation of both the Caprice Classic and 3 series. Also something rare nowadays, Japanese precise quality woth rock solid body panels.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 20:03   #7
BHPian

I would like to begin my note with an apology because I feel that my next few statements might offend other members.
I believe that certain statements make sense more than others. Like there is no watch better than a Swiss watch because well Swiss watches are famous. Like Germans make the best cars. We all love German engineering because they make the most driver focused cars. Like Japanese and their reliability.
However not everyone has the strength to go against the tide. I understand and respect peoples opinion that Lexus is good for their comfortable ride. However, I also read, whenever a new Lexus / Toyota product is launched, that their cars are vanilla and that there is no driving pleasure in them.
If not all Lexus cars are to be stiff, at least let them try and bring a welcoming change to their driving dynamics. Let’s us, open minded driving enthusiast, allow a company to make new products for us and let us experience them.
Maybe they could come up with 2 driving modes which will allow them to be both comfort oriented and driver oriented.
I, for one, am excited and welcome this change as I might get to experience Japanese reliability with driver focused performance cars.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th September 2024 at 12:04. Reason: Unsupported smiley
adityaNview is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 08:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Good lord, please no Lexus! Those who want a BMW or an Audi will get a BMW or an Audi, no one wants a Japanese clone of German cars.
Agree, though gone are the days when BMW was focused on sharp styling and driving enjoyment. The latest design language and the 5 series are evidences of that.
SchnelleKurven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 09:30   #9
BHPian

Welcome. The first generation IS drove better than the 3 series. I used to drive it a lot with only grouse being it was a automatic. I dont think they will neglect the current strong points they have.

People have not stopped buying German cars saying they are enjoyable to drive so I dont need them I would love the durability going along with driving dynamics.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 11:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Welcome. The first generation IS drove better than the 3 series. I used to drive it a lot with only grouse being it was an automatic. I dont think they will neglect the current strong points they have.
Both the IS and GS were about as good or even slightly better than the Germans of their time when they came out. However, Lexus just didn’t update them for so long. Also their mouse based infotainment of that era was terrible. The only ones getting updated regularly were the ones with an equivalent Toyota platform which the IS and GS didn’t - they had their own bespoke RWD platform to take on the Germans.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks