Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2024, 13:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Key fobs not part of standard equipment anymore? Rivian owners asked to pay extra

According to media reports, multiple owners of the second-generation Rivian R1T and R1S recently found out that physical key fobs are no longer provided as standard equipment.

Customers of the 2025 Rivian R1T and R1S will instead be provided with card keys as well as assistance to set up their smartphones as keys. Upon inspection by an owner, a Rivian representative confirmed that the vehicles would no longer come with physical key fobs. However, customers can purchase them separately at a later stage via the Rivian Gears shop.

Key fobs not part of standard equipment anymore? Rivian owners asked to pay extra-rivian.jpeg

Owners of the Rivian SUVs also pointed out that not having physical key fobs could pose a security risk when handing off the car to a valet, service or some acquaintance. Some owners also pointed out that both the key cards and smartphone app are only useful when network service is available.

Source: TheDrive

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 31st July 2024 at 13:52.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 16:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Key fobs not part of standard equipment anymore? Rivian owners asked to pay extra

Cost cutting to this level is egregious.

Why stop with physical keys, make locks and immobilisers optional too. They can be fit at a later date from the gEyAErs ShOoP.

The rivian is meant to be used as a hardcore truck with extreme off-roading and other less than ideal conditions. Network reception would be awful in those situations.

Also, putting these keycards near the wireless charging mats destroys them.
Source: Rivian subreddit

I hope other car manufacturers don’t get stupid ideas like this.
chiekennugget is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 16:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Key fobs not part of standard equipment anymore? Rivian owners asked to pay extra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiekennugget View Post
Cost cutting to this level is egregious.

Network reception would be awful in those situations.
Maybe I am going against the flow here, but my Tesla did not come with a physical key.
It opens when my phone is in proximity (plus a key-card was given in emergencies). Multiple-phones can be setup as a key (family drivers).

The cellphone key does not need network, but locks / unlocks the car using bluetooth, once setup properly.
Works like clock-work and never had any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post

Owners of the Rivian SUVs also pointed out that not having physical key fobs could pose a security risk when handing off the car to a valet, service or some acquaintance.
Tesla for instance, has a valet mode where I can lock the maximum speed it should travel at. There is also a Pin-to-drive access if needed.
I am sure an OTA by Rivian can solve this concern.

Last edited by Stratos : 31st July 2024 at 16:47.
Stratos is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 16:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
The cellphone key does not need network, but locks / unlocks the car using bluetooth, once setup properly.
I don’t know much about Tesla cars. The only thing I know is that they come with car shaped keys (that looks cool)

Most of the cars that have apps to unlock the car (connected car tech) use Internet. At least our cars do

But, I still prefer key fobs to key cards. They feel different. But, it is better than having no physical keys though.
Old 31st July 2024, 18:20   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I just spent a lot of time with a Tesla Model 3 and between the smartphone key & key card, didn't miss a physical keyfob at all. Primary users will always have the smartphone app anyway. Yes, you could lose your smartphone...but you could also lose the physical key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiekennugget View Post
Most of the cars that have apps to unlock the car (connected car tech) use Internet. At least our cars do
I believe Tesla has used Bluetooth as well as the NFC function for their smartphone keys. Not the internet.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 19:12   #6
BHPian

My brother bought a Tesla Model 3 few years back and he only got a card. He paid extra to get a fancy fob in the shape of a car.
SteeringWheel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 20:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

I don't miss the key on Tesla nor on the newer BMW's. Though the mechanical key in case of some cars might come in handy in some situations like FOB not working (battery/ signal issue) but not having one at first place and instead using your phone is a better solution.

I dont think card gets damaged while charging as on BMW's even though you can open the car with card in proimity, it has to be physically kept on the charging pad to start the car. So, there has to be some other issue.

All in all, good riddance Just a newer way to drive.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 20:56   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

UP NEXT: Buy your own tyres and Battery..
What a pathetic joke the auto industry has become off late
Old 31st July 2024, 22:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDumbBroke View Post
UP NEXT: Buy your own tyres and Battery..
What a pathetic joke the auto industry has become off late
And we are lapping it all up like loyal, you know what. These things don't surprise me anymore. First they stopped giving full size spares and then removed the space savers entirely. A 500 rupees puncture kit is a nice replacement
DriverNo.420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 06:55   #10
BHPian

I find it very interesting that as corporates and others slowly take away things from us and yet charge us more, we seem to be ok with it and many people even justify it. No wonder the world is turning up the way it is with an exponential pace.

What next? Steering Wheel not included?
parambyte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 07:46   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I just spent a lot of time with a Tesla Model 3 and between the smartphone key & key card, didn't miss a physical keyfob at all. Primary users will always have the smartphone app anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don't miss the key on Tesla nor on the newer BMW's.
This may not be such an issue for countries like the US / Canada but is this equally practical for countries like India? How does one give one’s chauffeur access (I may not want to enable access on his phone) or even if self driven, where you have to regularly give your car to valets?

I’d imagine they may have thought through this so is there some easy to manage solution these cars have for valet like situations? Or is the assumption that if you need to give your car to valets frequently you should in fact opt in for buying the physical key fob?
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 08:39   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
is this equally practical for countries like India? How does one give one’s chauffeur access (I may not want to enable access on his phone) or even if self driven, where you have to regularly give your car to valets?
You are right, this may not be practical in India for the use case you have mentioned. In Tesla as others have pointed, there is a code which you can share with Valet, again not sure in our context. Then there is a card, which might be at risk of damage if not stored correctly.

Also, BMW and others still give Key fobs in addition to the digital/ card keys and it's only in overseas markets some of the manufacturers like Tesla and Rivian are not giving fobs. For those markets and the needs, I think it's a fair and progressive call and should not be necessarily taken as cost cutting reason only.

Carrying a fob, no matter how light or modern it maybe is a liability. If your phone can work as key, what else do we need? And the beauty is that if you lose your phone or it is discharged, you can ask any family member to open the car for you and let you drive (from Tesla App).
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 12:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

I dont think this is being done with intent of cost cutting. Rivians are a 100K dollar car in US and infact better than Teslas in my view. I believe this is more moving away from custom of having a traditional car key. I would love to get rid of the extra weight in my pocket of a car key. Phone and smart watches are always on us and the way to go for future. Maybe even an implant in future .
Old 1st August 2024, 15:13   #14
BHPian

Well as long as there is an alternative that works well, I don't see a reason to complain. And instead of removing the physical key fob support altogether, they do let you buy one if required. I don't like carrying much stuff in my pocket; I have got myself a digital lock to get rid of my door keys. One less thing to worry about.
Old 2nd August 2024, 21:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If your phone can work as key, what else do we need? And the beauty is that if you lose your phone or it is discharged, you can ask any family member to open the car for you and let you drive (from Tesla App).
I don't know how well this works, as one of my friends got stuck at a bar in the night when her phone died and could not drive back. Her husband had to drive to her for her to drive back. It all works until it does not. Maybe it was not setup properly or maybe it was a glitch. But yet.

I am sure Tesla must have addressed this, but Tesla owners were locked out in the near past when the phone key app went down.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ars-phone-key/

It amazes me how much people trust an app on the phone when we all know with software, comes bugs and any new update can stop the app altogether and what will you do, when this happens on a road trip to you?

Last edited by Pontiac : 2nd August 2024 at 21:31.
Pontiac is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks