Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2024, 17:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan

German luxury carmaker, Audi, has taken the wraps off the new A5 for the global markets.

The new Audi A5 replaces the A4 in the brand's lineup and will be available in sedan and estate body styles. The change in name from A4 to A5 is part of Audi's new nomenclature for its next-gen models - EVs being even-numbered and ICE models being odd-numbered.

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia51.jpg

The new Audi A5 is underpinned by the brand's Premium Platform Combustion, replacing the 17-year-old MLB architecture on the outgoing A4 model. The A5 retains the longitudinal engine layout and the new platform is also capable of accommodating electrified powertrains, claims Audi.

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia52.jpg

The new-gen A5 measures 67 mm longer and 13 mm wider than the outgoing A4. It also has a 68 mm longer wheelbase. In terms of design, the A5 now features an evolutionary update from its predecessor. It gets flared wheel arches, OLED lights all around and visible exhaust tips.

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia53.jpg

Inside, the A5 gets an 11.9-inch digital driver's display, a 14.5-inch infotainment touchscreen, climate control, seat heating & ventilation functions, another 10.9-inch front passenger screen and plenty of other tech and creature comforts around the cabin.

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia54.jpg

Audi will offer the new A5 in both pure-ICE and mild-hybrid powertrains. This includes a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder, turbo-petrol engine in two states of tune: 150 BHP and 204 BHP, with the latter getting the Quattro AWD option. There is also a 2.0-litre 4-cylinder diesel engine with Audi's new MHEV Plus system producing 204 BHP. The range-topping S5 is powered by a 3.0-litre V6 mild-hybrid unit producing 367 BHP.

Audi is also expected to bring in a plug-in hybrid version of the A5 at a slightly later stage.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 16th July 2024 at 17:34.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 18:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan

Awesome and what an update! Hope to see it here soon.

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia5b.png

The Audi A5 and Audi S52, will be launched in Germany and numerous other European countries in November with bookings opening next month.

As usual, beautiful headlamps and tail lamps;

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia54.gif

Attachment 2628080

Few more pictures from the launch

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia5c.png

Click image for larger version

Name:	AudiA5B.png
Views:	23
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	2628077

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia5a.png

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia5d.png
Attached Thumbnails
New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audia53.gif  

Last edited by sarathlal : 16th July 2024 at 18:45.
sarathlal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 18:54   #3
BHPian

I am really impressed by this new platform. I don't know what they did to the A4 and what's next especially regarding A6,A7 and A8. cannot wait to discuss with my colleagues at Audi Mumbai Office tomorrow. exterior is amazing but those lights cost way too much to replace and replacing is the only option. just one long rear light is even a bigger problem than two separate headlight units, like in the front. some things are bad, some are great, MMI really needed an update, last one is 6 years old.

Three OLED screens are technologically a great thing that is accommodated in the same price as the older models. OLED front and rear lights with 6 or more signature look options takes the Audi HD Matrix or Matrix headlights to a next level.

We can also see flap type door handles making a comeback for aerodynamic reasons.
New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-screenshot-a5-b10-lights2.png

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-screenshot-a5-b10-lights1.png
exhaustbreather is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 21:04   #4
BHPian

This is the best looking update the A4 has got in a long while. It's now one seriously good looking car. For a person like me whose quite happy with VWs 2.0 petrol and doesn't need anything more powerful, it's a serious upgrade contender for my Octavia if it releases next year!
mrpitt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 21:14   #5

I absolutely love the design on this car, both exterior and interior. It is one of the few cars which have managed to leave me awestruck by the design (another one being the latest superb). Really hope they price it as competitively as the current one.
Duster85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 21:25   #6
BHPian

Audi has done an amazing job here, the car looks really good when compared to the competition who are running after big grills (bmw) or really bland (merc) designs. The silhouette here resembles the current 3 series alot weirdly.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 22:34   #7
BHPian

Looks smart, sleek and athletic!

Great job Audi, exterior/wise Audi, finally. The last generation A4 was so drab.

Not sure when it makes to Indian showrooms, may not be anytime soon if past is anything to go by.

Also, globally, it was mentioned to have a 268HP mild hybrid engine. Hope that is offered in India too.
Old 16th July 2024, 22:34   #8
BHPian

Now that is one sultry looking car and kudos to Audi to have stayed through their design ethos.

We don't call VW / Audi designs timeless for no reason after all.
Tutenkhamen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 22:50   #9
BHPian

Amazing move.
This move from A4 to A5 is brilliant as the A4 had lost its novelty value.
Now, they can price it right up with 330Li and C200.

This car could get Audi back in game in India
Old 16th July 2024, 23:00   #10
BHPian

Love the design inside out.....barring the silver accents on the front bumper; to me, they disturb the clean suave look.

If ICE versions are taking odd numbers, does that mean A4 will return in EV guise?

Last edited by ToThePoint : 16th July 2024 at 23:01. Reason: Typo
Old 16th July 2024, 23:26   #11
BHPian

Guys, am I the only one that thinks this redesign is terrible?

Audi has somehow turned the classy, sleek looking A4 into a wannabe Hyundai:

New Audi A5 globally unveiled as a replacement for the A4 sedan-audi-hyundai.png

Even the interiors scream Hyundai (and to some extent - Lexus). Is this Audi's attempt at trying to appeal to the next generation? Hopefully their SUV redesigns do not go overboard.
Old 16th July 2024, 23:32   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice! I have always been a big fan of Audi, preferring them to BMW and Mercedes. I have had an A4 estate and a A6. If I’m honest I always preferred the A4 estate. I always thought it was a very graceful car. Oozes character in an understated way.

I think Audi is spot on with this A5. I am not that keen on modern cars, very little out there on the market floats my boat. But this definitely does, would love to see the estate version.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 23:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
Guys, am I the only one that thinks this redesign is terrible?
I wont say its terrible. I think it looks really sleek. Hyundai-ish? Yes. But definitely not terrible. Especially if you compare it with whats coming out of Bavaria.

Also, the A4 was growing increasingly dated, especially from the sides. They had been refreshing the headlights and taillights to let it slide for a few more years but the design was showing its age. I know because I own the B9.5 version. This new A5 feels fresh, it'll definitely get me into the showrooms to check it out. Something the new C couldn't do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks