Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2024, 14:55   #1
Team-BHP Support

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars

Over the years, many car names appear and disappear. Some make a comeback after a sabbatical. In recent years, we have seen the Safari name make a comeback and Bajaj brought back the Chetak name after a long break. Very soon, in India, we expect to see Mahindra bringing back the Armada name (4-door Thar) and Tata might bring back the Sierra name (electric SUV). In global markets we have seen the BMW 6-Series and 8-Series coming back after an absence of many years. All these vehicles have stuck to their original character, whether it is the body style or performance.

However, in some cases, carmakers have brought back names with something you least expect. Here are some examples.

Dodge Charger

The Dodge Charger was a large 2-door muscle car that first made an appearance in 1966. Not just that, it was the baddest of the bad boys and one of my favourite cars in the world. It had a nice run till 1978 after which the Charger name was discontinued.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-charger.jpg
Image source

Dodge brought the charger name back on a much smaller and milder coupe in 1981. It was nowhere as sharp-looking or fast as the previous generations and had front-wheel drive. It just did not live up to the Charger name. Dodge discontinued the car in 1987.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-charger-2.jpg
Image source

After an absence of nearly 20 years, Dodge reintroduced the Charger name, this time on a 4-door sedan. This was unexpected. However, Dodge did two things right - first, it made the Charger very good-looking and second, along with smaller engines, it gave the car some nice V8 options and all-wheel drive. All in all, this was a good attempt by Dodge.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-charger-3.jpg
Image source

Ford Puma

The Puma was a small sports car that Ford produced between 1997 and 2002. Based on the Fiesta hatchback and built in Germany, it was regarded as a great driver's car. There was also a rally version that had me drooling. Ford discontinued the Puma nameplate after it stopped production of the little coupe.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-puma.jpg
Image source

The Puma name made a comeback in 2019 but this time on a Romanian-built 5-door crossover - totally unexpected. While it's got some competent engines, I am not sure it will be as fun to drive as the old low coupe.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-puma-2.jpg
Image source

Maruti Suzuki Baleno

The Baleno name was introduced in 1996. Under this name you could have a hatchback, sedan and estate. In India, the sedan and estate body styles were introduced. It came with a strong 1.6-litre petrol engine that made it a competitor for the Honda City and Mitsubishi Lancer, which were among the more exciting cars of that time. The Baleno sedan had a good run till 2007, when Maruti replaced it with the SX4 which was larger and more powerful.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-baleno.jpg

The Baleno name returned to India in 2015 in something that left me in a bit of a shock. Maruti had stuck the Baleno badge on a sub-4 m hatchback that had just adequate power and was far from exciting to drive. Instead, it was a rather sedate family hatchback. I had never in my wildest dreams imagined this.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-baleno-2.jpg

Ford Capri

Just as I was compiling this thread, Ford brought back one of its most iconic nameplates ever - Capri. Built by Ford Europe, the Capri was first introduced in 1968. It was a great-looking fastback coupe that came with a variety of 4-cylinder, 6-cyinder and 8-cylinder engines. With names like Cosworth and Tickford attached to it, this car was very much an enthusiasts' delight. As a by in the 80s, I remember seeing a Capri regularly parked at Worli. As an Indian boy who had been brought up on a diet of 4-door sedans, the 2-door fastback instantly caught my eye. The Capri's production ended in 1986.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-capri-1.jpg
Image source

The Capri name made a comeback in 1989 on a small roadster in Australia. Based on the Mazda 3, it was available with much smaller engines than the original Capri. It had front-wheel drive and didn't do well in terms of numbers sold. Ford Australia discontinued the Capri in 1994.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-capri-2.jpg
Image source

Now, the Capri nameplate is back and this time it's on something unexpected - a crossover. Ford has revealed and electric 4-door crossover with a coupe-like roofline. While it does share some design elements with the original Capri, it is too SUVish and rather boring.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-2024ford_electriccapri_25.jpg
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 14:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 16:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why leave out the most well known example on our shores?

Zen

Can’t say they improved it!

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-img_3498.jpeg

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-img_3497.jpeg

Armada also might be making a come back soon! This one might be an improvement.

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-img_3499.jpeg

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-img_3500.jpeg

Last edited by Dry Ice : 14th July 2024 at 16:37.
Dry Ice is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 16:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tough to pick one between Grand Vitara and Tata Safari, but I think the former's revival was more unexpected (or disappointing).

From this tank that actually justified the 'Grand' in its name:

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-img_2239.jpeg

The nameplate made a comeback for this run of the mill crossover that, forget Grand, doesn't even feel special:

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-img_2238.jpeg

Last edited by self_driven : 14th July 2024 at 16:56.
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 17:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The Volkswagen Beetle and the New Beetle come to the mind at the first glance at the thread title. The Hyundai Santro comes next. In both cases the succeeding models were lemons and were never as well taken as their iconic predecessor models.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th July 2024 at 17:42.
Old 14th July 2024, 17:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
The nameplate made a comeback for this run of the mill crossover that, forget Grand, doesn't even feel special:
I never understood why Maruti cannot name their newer cars with different name rather than copying an older discontinued model.

As you rightly pointed out the yesteryear Suzuki Grand Vitara and the present Grand Vitara are chalk & cheese.
My another disappointment was with the Baleno name. The earlier sedan Suzuki Baleno was an absolute blast of a car and replaced with a premium (?) hatchback Suzuki Baleno.
Similarly Zen was replaced with a hideous looking Zen Estilo that completely destroyed the Amazing Suzuki Zen lineage.
I always ask Maruti. Why? Why wouldn't you just name these present tincans with a different name altogether? Why tinker with the better cars of yesteryear? Why don't you just leave them alone.?

I sometimes lookout for the older Sedan Baleno on used car portals and always invariably the new hatchback Baleno list is what I get. I just want to shout at the portal. "No. Not this Baleno. I want the Sedan Baleno". But no one's listening anyways.

Even today, when the name Grand Vitara & Baleno comes to my mind, I simply recollect the older Grand Vitara and the sedan Baleno. I have trouble in putting those badges on the present cars. My mind simply can't accept it. At times, I get angry with Maruti for doing this mishmash of names unnecessarily.

Last edited by ashkamath : 14th July 2024 at 17:51.
Old 14th July 2024, 19:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Safari.
From a body-on-frame RWD/4x4 to a monocoque FWD, we never expected the Harrier 7 seater to be christened as the Safari.

From this-

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-img_1164.jpeg

To this-

Car names that have made comebacks in unexpected avtaars-img_1163.jpeg

Last edited by Samba : 14th July 2024 at 19:28.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks