Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: EV Owners, would you like to go back to ICE car as your next purchase?
Yes, my next car will be either petrol or diesel car 37 46.84%
No, my next car too will be an EV 42 53.16%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2024, 14:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

McKinsey: 46% of EV owners said they would go back to ICE cars as their next purchase

According to a new study by McKinsey & Co., nearly half of EV owners said they would go back to internal combustion-powered cars for their next purchase. The new 2024 study by McKinsey stated that 46% of EV owners in the USA were likely to make the switch back to ICE cars - a number, which surprised even the consulting firm.

McKinsey: 46% of EV owners said they would go back to ICE cars as their next purchase-f150lightning.jpg

Philipp Kampshoff, Head of McKinsey's Centre for Future Mobility, stated, "I didn't expect that. I thought, Once an EV buyer, always an EV buyer."

The poll is said to have included 37,000 consumers worldwide, with Australia being the only country with a greater percentage (49%) of EV owners wanting to return to ICE cars than the USA. Other countries included in the survey were Brazil, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Norway. The average percentage of all these countries was 29%.

Reports mention that 35% of owners cited the lack of charging infrastructure as the main reason for wanting to return to ICE cars. Another top reason was that the total cost of owning an EV was too high. In addition to this, 1 in 3 respondents also stated that their driving patterns on long-distance trips were affected too much due to owning an EV.

Source: FoxBusiness

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 16:18   #2
BHPian

Re: McKinsey: 46% of EV owners said they would go back to ICE cars as their next purchase

What a coincidence! EV LMV sales also down in India in June 2024 by 14%. Perhaps a fluke but noteworthy.

http://www.autocarindia.com/industry...ne-2024-432122
NT_GT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 19:29   #3

Re: McKinsey: 46% of EV owners said they would go back to ICE cars as their next purchase

I have been through the same dilemma in January 2024 when I am in the market for a new car.
I use car mostly for long trips to home town which is around 600kms one-way, I am used to an ice car where I can just fill and do an almost non stop journey as I start most of my drives after 11pm. Wife is not ok with the idea of having to wait for an hour or more at each point to recharge and the point of having to take the risk of assuming the charger is working when we arrive.
Now, I feel hybrid is a good choice than pure electric.
I use an Ola S1 pro for city commute and it's good.
raghu67 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 19:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Think we are getting carried away by reports from the US and Australia which are unique markets where extremely long road trips are common. For most Indians, long road trips are far rarer events. The typical Indian motorist drives under 10000 km per year vs 20000 miles for the typical American. Further fuel costs more in India and the subsidy on EVs at least at this point (53% lower GST and 22% lower registration for a corporate buyer in MH) is far higher. So I do think that buying EVs for many users is a no brainer here.

Not sure what has driven the fall in EV sales in India. I can understand why sales of EVs priced over ₹25L would fall - with two key states imposing OTT on those products. But I am surprised by the lack of growth that Tata Motors is seeing - I would have expected better performance from them.

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th July 2024 at 21:27. Reason: minor
Hayek is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 21:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: I have added a poll for Team-BHP EV owners only. So will your next car be ICY or EVE?
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 08:06   #6
BHPian

I am in the other half that is never going back to an ICE again. And this opinion of mine comes after driving a small EV, Tiago, for just 3k kms. When I take out my Crysta now it feels like I am driving a lorry.

My next will mostly be an Ionic. I do lots of long drives and I will adopt to stopping a bit for charging. If that's the trade off for this kind of driving pleasure I am totally ok.

Also nice that EV sales are tapering off a bit. Less waiting times at highway chargers and more helpful for folks like me
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 08:10   #7
BHPian

We should actually be having 2 categories under ICE. Hybrid and Pure ICE. This way the poll will be more accurate.
Old 6th July 2024, 09:38   #8
BHPian

Majority of car users in India have a more urban cycle of commute with very few intercity travels.
When CNG vehicles came in, they had very poor range and limited refueling options. However with time, the situation has improved to a state where refueling is no longer as painful as it used to be.
As the EV charging infra improves, it will become easier and more palatable for more and more users to switch to EVs.

Regarding hybrids, it seems sales stabilize and stagnate much more early and at a lower level to EVs.
Very interesting insights on comparison of EV and PHEV sales across the world.
https://www.statista.com/outlook/mmo...ina#unit-sales
Old 6th July 2024, 10:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
Regarding hybrids, it seems sales stabilize and stagnate much more early and at a lower level to EVs.
Very interesting insights on comparison of EV and PHEV sales across the world.
https://www.statista.com/outlook/mmo...ina#unit-sales
This is a wrong chart. It was last updated in 2023 and the data is just a projection based on some assumptions which had gone wrong withing just one year. No way will the assumptions hold good till 2028 that this chart is displaying. You just to look at what's happening in the world's largest car market - China - PHEVs are increasingly getting preferred over BEVs
soarersc300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 11:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Think we are getting carried away by reports from the US and Australia which are unique markets where extremely long road trips are common. For most Indians, long road trips are far rarer events. The typical Indian motorist drives under 10000 km per year vs 20000 miles for the typical American. Further fuel costs more in India and the subsidy on EVs at least at this point (53% lower GST and 22% lower registration for a corporate buyer in MH) is far higher.
Not to mention the significantly lower fuel efficiency we get here in both the cities and the highways. Most highway driving in Australia, at least, is with cruise set to the speed limit. Forget frequent overtaking and slowing down for traffic, there are times you won't even see another vehicle around traveling in the same direction as you for ~10 or more mins. Even 18-wheeler trucks are found cruising at a fixed ~120km/hr indicated, which is the speed limit. These are speeds at which EVs are the least efficient. Electricity is also roughly 3x more expensive there than here. Not to mention, EV drivers would have to frequently halt for charging with even a ~600km range. I have covered 650kms in 7-8 hours during heavy rain, so this range is not even a full day's worth of driving.

The average FE for a car in Sydney is around 13-14kmpl (7L/100km), and that's considered inefficient by their standards. Cars such as the Camry Hybrid (one of the most popular cars there) are much more efficient than that, offer the flexibility of pottering around the city or going on a 1000km+ road trip, and do both with comfort and great efficiency. These can be filled up at any remote gas station in a matter of minutes. I haven't seen that many EV charging stations on the highways there. No wonder why EVs never gained much traction in Australia in the first place!

The scene is different in India, where our cars struggle to give us 10kmpl in the city and EVs have a running cost of a fraction of that of ICE vehicles.
rkv_2401 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 11:41   #11
BHPian

Here is the [ATTACH=Mobility-Consumer-Pulse-2024_Overview.pdf]2624410[/ATTACH]
Survey report of McKinsey for anyone interested.

The Japanese sentiment is a good indicator that when good EVs are given that actually considers the utility of the vehicle, users are going to prefer that over the ICE version.
Name:  Screenshot20240627120430.png
Views: 349
Size:  109.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot20240627120445.png
Views: 363
Size:  61.1 KB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mobility-Consumer-Pulse-2024_Overview.pdf (2.44 MB, 60 views)
Old 6th July 2024, 11:43   #12
BHPian

EVs make perfect sense for a vast majority of Indians. The biggest issue with EVs right now is range and therefore the requirement for numerous charging points. Tier 2 or smaller cities in general have that thing sorted.

For tier 2 cities, EVs are just perfect. Almost everyone lives in a house (and not an apartment complex) and therefore can arrange to a have charging point installed at home.

The commutes for people in tier 2/3 cities are not more than 50kms a day at the absolute max and long road trips are seldom undertaken. This means that charging will probably happen once every week or so.

Metros may not be the ideal playing ground for an EV due to the scarcity of charging points right now. But the smaller towns and cities are tailor-made for them.
Old 6th July 2024, 12:00   #13
BHPian

EVs are outright better than ICE at everything imo. the only thing stopping them is charging infra specially in homes without charging options.
salluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 12:21   #14
BHPian

I own an EV max and I had my share of niggles, scares and notorious after sales stories of Tata. But having said that I am bought into the idea of owning an EV even more now after 2 years . My next purchase would be definitely an EV again, but with better range and after sales service. I completed 28K kms and almost 65% are high way drives (one way more than 500 Kms). Charging infrastructure has increased leaps and bounds and it is getting even better, especially in south India. When I took the delivery in June end 2022, there were only 3 DC fast chargers available between banaglore and my home town, which is 625 kms away. Now I have 26 DC Fast charging stations and many with more than 2 guns. (mostly 30KW and one 120KW).
rkmunjuluri is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 14:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarersc300 View Post
This is a wrong chart....China - PHEVs are increasingly getting preferred over BEVs
I am more than happy to be proven wrong. However, China has now EVs and PHEVs constituting more than 50% of vehicles sold. https://carnewschina.com/2024/04/20/...s-now-over-50/
As battery costs come down and charging infra grows, EVs will take over the roads. Let's not forget, PHEVs are both ICE + EV jammed into one vehicle. The fuel efficiency is great for now, but the long term maintenance is gonna be expensive, given the complexity of the power train. (This is just my opinion, I could be wrong)

EVs may not make sense on the highways of US, Australia etc, but they make perfect sense for intra city travel and occasional excursions to nearby cities. US consumers may be saying they want to go back to ICE, but our Indian consumers are clearly holding a different view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmunjuluri View Post
I own an EV max and I had my share of niggles, scares and notorious after sales stories of Tata. But having said that I am bought into the idea of owning an EV even more now after 2 years . My next purchase would be definitely an EV again,....
Quote:
Originally Posted by salluks View Post
EVs are outright better than ICE at everything imo. the only thing stopping them is charging infra specially in homes without charging options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
EVs make perfect sense for a vast majority of Indians. The biggest issue with EVs right now is range and therefore the requirement for numerous charging points. ...
Metros may not be the ideal playing ground for an EV due to the scarcity of charging points right now. But the smaller towns and cities are tailor-made for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
The scene is different in India, where our cars struggle to give us 10kmpl in the city and EVs have a running cost of a fraction of that of ICE vehicles.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks