Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2024, 17:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Citroen rules out future small & large models, to focus on B & C segments only

According to media reports, Citroen's future lineup will not include smaller and larger models. The French carmaker will instead focus solely on Europe's largest mainstream segments.

The decision to focus on the mainstream segments effectively means the end of both its entry-level C1 and also its range-topping D-segment model, the C5 X. The decision was confirmed by Thierry Koskas, CEO of Citroen, who stated that the brand "needs to be in the main segments, not niche segments." Koskas stated that the C5 X is "not performing badly but is in a segment that’s non-existent." He further added, "Citroën needs to be in the B- and C-segments as this is the heart of the brand."

Citroen rules out future small & large models, to focus on B & C segments only-c3.jpg

Going forward, the B-segment Citroen C3 could become the brand's entry-level offering and end with the C5 Aircross being its range-topping model. Koskas stated, "If you go into the A-segment [with a C1 replacement], you would expect to pay less than the B-segment, but the production costs for us are the same."

The CEO also stated that future Citroens will not be limited to conventional hatchbacks and SUV body styles, but will instead have "new shapes that do not exist". He added, "We will take risks, we need to shake the market, and Citroën can do that. We will do it in the B- and C-segments, which is the vast majority of the European market. That’s where we need to be."

Koskas also confirmed that in the future, Citroen will not have many cars, instead five to six well-positioned ones which appeal to customers. He said, "There’s no magic number, but five or six models well positioned, really appealing to customers… I’d be happy with that."

Source: Autocar UK

Link to Tea-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 18:12   #2
BHPian

Re: Citroen rules out future small & large models, to focus on B & C segments only

There is a general trend emerging with European carmakers struggling to sell cars. The heavy onslaught of cheap Chinese EVs seems to have finally broken the continent's back. Except for niche manufacturers, everyone else is struggling to make ends meet, with stricter emissions regulations and more sensitive pricing brackets. People cannot afford the uptick in prices for new cars and emission-based taxes are bleeding them dry.

But all is not lost yet. With a far-right government rolling into EU, OEMs are looking for a break in this freefall with some hope of tariffs being imposed on Chinese imports. Unfortunately, almost all of EUs manufacturing was displaced to China over the years, to save on costs. This gives the latter leverage on the market. Despite large mergers like the Stellantis one, the European auto giants stare at a bleak future.
Sensible_Speed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 19:40   #3
BHPian

Re: Citroen rules out future small & large models, to focus on B & C segments only

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The CEO also stated that future Citroens will not be limited to conventional hatchbacks and SUV body styles, but will instead have "new shapes that do not exist".
I was able to get my hands onto these designs
Citroen rules out future small & large models, to focus on B & C segments only-img_0658.png
chiekennugget is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 22:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiekennugget View Post
Attachment 2615789
Well, the last two of those mashed together did exist. Jeremy Clarkson's motorhome, anyone?
imprezzer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 00:45   #5
BHPian

Sad to see such a mechanically Sound (Engine Suspension) dying!

Easily beat the XUV 300 Turbo, by a fair margin!
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen rules out future small & large models, to focus on B & C segments only-c3.png  

BSASLR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 08:00   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Am sorry, but looks like the man got it wrong.

While playing in the right segment is a good idea, Citroen's problem is with packaging the product. As has been quoted multiple times in similar threads:

1- Indian consumers are no longer "cheap", there are "value" driven

2- In today's age and time, you cannot launch a car with no alloys in the top end, very bad feature spread in the initial launches of C3 & C3 Aircross (no AT)

3- Roping in brand ambassadors no one asked for, focus on the product & packaging. Did "Messi" help Byju?

4- Learn the art of launching a product from the Korean twins and even Mahindra lately. Their variants are spread across multiple price segments and consists of multiple options: Petrol / Diesel / Turbo Petrol - Manual / AMT / AT. They've got it all

5- Overall, your decision makers at the helm need a nice job-rotation!
Sk8r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 08:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Am sorry, but looks like the man got it wrong.

While playing in the right segment is a good idea, Citroen's problem is with packaging the product. As has been quoted multiple times in similar threads:

1- Indian consumers are no longer "cheap", there are "value" driven

2- In today's age and time, you cannot launch a car with no alloys in the top end, very bad feature spread in the initial launches of C3 & C3 Aircross (no AT)

3- Roping in brand ambassadors no one asked for, focus on the product & packaging. Did "Messi" help Byju?

4- Learn the art of launching a product from the Korean twins and even Mahindra lately. Their variants are spread across multiple price segments and consists of multiple options: Petrol / Diesel / Turbo Petrol - Manual / AMT / AT. They've got it all

5- Overall, your decision makers at the helm need a nice job-rotation!
TBH, Citroen's porducts in Europe hardly feel premium either. This is more a Citroen problem than anything else. I've sat in the C3 sold there, and it's as drab as it is in India. Only the touchscreen is marginally better. Citroen as a brand has been struggling for a while now. The split with DS didn't help it either. Peugeots built on the same platform feel decidedly more premium and nice to be inside. Even the magic carpet like ride is only reserved for a couple of models.

It is sad that one of the pioneers of the auto industry is struggling so badly today. Citroen needs to recalibrate their design philosophy imo. They're trying too hard to be "French" while offering plain ol' uninspiring cars.
Sensible_Speed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 10:02   #8
BHPian

Adding to Sk8r above:

A Better Safety rating for the car and a proper AT
Stellantis can merge all service centers to increase the reach.

Having worked with the French, unlike other they are a bit conservative and would not easily trust the Indian management so not sure these promised by the India team can make much of a difference.

I was hoping for this to be better (C3 Face Lift) for the sake of Citroen:
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen rules out future small & large models, to focus on B & C segments only-c3-24.png  

BSASLR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 12:16   #9
BANNED

Any news on the C3 Turbo's old stock that is selling at 5.99L ex-showroom? All dealerships have closed down, so where do we get this deal? Is it worth getting it? No other car in a similar budget offers these power/torque figures.
Old 12th June 2024, 14:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSASLR View Post
Sad to see such a mechanically Sound (Engine Suspension) dying!

Easily beat the XUV 300 Turbo, by a fair margin!
That’s basically because C3 is about 300kg lighter than the XUV300. Recent GNCAP test showed how poorly built C3 is. That explains the difference in weight. XUV300’s is ahead in power figures so with the same weight, I don’t think C3 would be that quick.
neochanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 17:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neochanger View Post
That’s basically because C3 is about 300kg lighter than the XUV300.
That's why it saddens us:
They placed a beautiful soul (Engine and Suspension) inside a useless body.

Regarding the weight:

The density of steel is about 7,750 to 8,050 kilograms per cubic meter.

The weight of steel, HSS, and UHSS for a given volume is essentially the same because their densities are very similar.

To achieve a 5-star rating, weight is not the only factor; strength is crucial.

Citroën could have maintained the same weight and given us a 5-star car.

It's a Myth that weight is strength.

However, they chose to treat us as undeserving of value.
BSASLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 16:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiekennugget View Post
Attachment 2615789
I hope you have patented these or else
SithDefender is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 23:11   #13
BHPian

Whenever I see the C3 or C5 Aircross, my heart skips a beat. Quirky and fun designs. The only reason I'd prefer a Citroen, as might other BHPians, would be due to its awesome suspension. There's a spark of Dakar in every Citroen car, I feel. I hope the French manufacturer is able to catch the sentiments of the Indian market.
Old 14th June 2024, 08:26   #14
BHPian

On a lighter note, the Indian car buyer seems to have ruled out all Citroen models.
Old 14th June 2024, 09:06   #15
BHPian

Citroen should either stop with odd looking cars for the sake of differentiation or it should be premium and feature/options laden for decent success or both if they want a hit product.

The current lineup has both the Odd/Quirky design for oddness's sake and is also cheap. So it is dead on arrival.

I never thought this day would come....But I think Europe needs to recruit whoever is designing the new crop of good looking Chinese Cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks