Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2024, 20:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari CEO warns EU of competition from China, ahead of its EV debut in 2025

Speaking in an interview, Benedetto Vigna, Ferrari CEO, stated that the new competition from China should be a "call to action" for EU automakers.

Vigna said, "For me, this is a call to action for Europe." Also, speaking about the upcoming EU deadline to announce the results of Beijing's EV subsidies, Vigna stated, "People are defining it as a war, but for me, it’s a nice competition."

Ferrari CEO warns EU of competition from China, ahead of its EV debut in 2025-sf90.jpg

Amidst the trade dispute, China could introduce duties as high as 25% on vehicle imports. The increase in tariffs could severely impact carmakers like Porsche, Audi & Range Rover. However, Ferrari is said to be less exposed than its rivals. Vigna stated, "China is not for Ferrari what it is for other luxury brands. The market in China is still not mature."

The "call to action" by the Ferrari CEO comes just ahead of the brand's own EV debut. Ferrari's first EV is scheduled to be globally unveiled in Q4 2025. Talking about the Ferrari EV, Vigna said, "[It] is going as planned, but some processes we are even ahead of schedule."

Source: Bloomberg

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 22:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ferrari CEO warns EU of competition from China, ahead of its EV debut in 2025

EU is caught between a rock and a hard place, unlike US they cannot impose tariffs on Chinese cars, and face Chinese ire, they cannot compete with Chinese cars.

The German govt seems to be in a most confused state, the right wing govt cannot push back on EV mandates without losing jobs.

Just read an article which says Chinese are getting battery cells for 47$/kwh, at what price EU, Japanese manufacturers are getting 80$?

Last edited by SKC-auto : 25th May 2024 at 22:12.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 19:28   #3
BHPian

Re: Ferrari CEO warns EU of competition from China, ahead of its EV debut in 2025

I still think that the claim by EV manufacturers that the cost of the batteries is keeping the cost of the cars high, is a lot of bull. There isnt much to indicate why they are high, lithium is abundant, and cobalt quantities are not significant to make the cost difference noticiable.

And given the fact that the number of items used in an electric car are 1/10th of that of an equivalent ICE car. The savings in supply chain expenses alone is enough to negate the cost of the battery.

The Chinese believe in mass produce and dumping. The reset of the world believes in maximising profit in least amount of work, in this case its the cars produced.

20L is the cost of the BYD Seal before it hits our shores. Damn, I cant get half of that car at that price from any of our manufactures after building it in our own back yard.

The elephant in the room is actually the chinese govt, who wants to win at any cost, and most probably will. And why should it not, given that whatever it does it does it for its own country and its own people.

What erks me the most is why can our manufactures build it?

Indian manufacturing capabilities are pathetic. You cant get anything done, a simple component which is not mass market is difficuly to source within the country and you have to look at chinese counterparts. And just step over to china, I can get my own board developed and V1 will be in my hands in the next 3 day before evening. Guaranteed. Same thing in our country its going to be atleast a month and a half, with no guarantees on time and possibly a lot of excuses when it will not be delivered on time.

The only way EU or US is going to survive this is by putting protectionasim measres in place. India already has them, but still Chinese prices make them look like a joke.

Last edited by frewper : 26th May 2024 at 19:32.
frewper is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks