Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 16:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

GM's new tech can assess driver's mental well-being; Take over vehicle control if required

According to media reports, General Motors has applied for a patent application for a new system in cars, titled "Vehicle Occupant Mental Wellbeing Assessment & Countermeasure Deployment".

The patent explains how the tech uses a bunch of sensors and modules inside the car to evaluate what's happening. If it detects "an undesirable situation" unfolding, the system will activate countermeasures to prevent them. The tech puts both the driver and the passengers within the purview of the system. It also monitors telemetry like hard braking or acceleration, tailgating, and horn use and even listens in on conversations inside the cabin.

GM's new tech can assess driver's mental well-being; Take over vehicle control if required-gmpatentmentalstate.jpg

The description in the patent states that the system assesses "the mental well-being of a driver while driving the vehicle and deploying a countermeasure in response to a mindfulness level of the driver being beyond a desired range." It further mentions that if the system detects the driver is subjected to negative stimuli, which induces stress, then it steps in to monitor the vehicle's actions while also observing the driver via biometric sensors.

If, at any point, the system detects that the driver's mental state isn't the best, it initiates a number of steps to correct the situation. The system starts with alerts asking drivers to "take a deep". The second level is calling someone via the hands-free system, and the third level is automatically calling a trained advisor to talk the driver out of the situation.

However, the last proposed step is for the car to activate one or more of the advanced driver assist systems (ADAS) to remove the driver from the equation. The patent states that the ADAS is "configured to provide a level of autonomous vehicle control...such that a driver of the vehicle need not be actively involved in controlling one or more driving or other functions of the vehicle."

Having said that though, the tech is still in its patent stages, and whether or not the system would actually make it into cars remains to be seen.

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news
Old 23rd May 2024, 17:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: GM's new tech can assess driver's mental well-being; Take over vehicle control if required

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
...Countermeasure Deployment".
Bet some 'Army Marine' was behind this Namakaran. Wonder if they will adapt into the HMMWV.

This is ludicrous none the less. I would guess lot upwards of 75% of todays aam janta is stressed out, so the car will deploy countermeasures eh! That would be something to expect soon.

On a serious note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
even listens in on conversations inside the cabin.
Big no-no! No ways people should eves drop in the name of anything.

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd May 2024 at 17:26.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 17:54   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: GM's new tech can assess driver's mental well-being; Take over vehicle control if required

GM is competing with Tesla and the likes I guess.
This is too good to be true but by the time it gets launched, I don't think I will be needing its services at that juncture as the older I get the saner I am getting and kind of getting into a zone where nothing stresses me anymore.
But would love to have all them features in my next car.
Old 24th May 2024, 10:00   #4
BHPian

> Feel stressed, burdened, etc.
> Go for a relaxing drive/cruise
> Car says no and takes over control

Jokes aside, I'm sure the system won't be nearly as harsh, and I' not sure to what extent it could be implemented in the future as well, considering this tech is just in the patent phase at the moment.
Although listening in on conversations is an insane breach of privacy and will probably be shot down quickly, if brought in.
sh3lby is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks