Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2024, 16:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

No more 330i, just 330 | BMW to drop the "i" for petrol cars & use it only for EVs

BMW has officially confirmed that it will drop the "i" at the end of its petrol-powered vehicles names. The change in nomenclature is to make its model names less confusing in the future. So, instead of "BMW 330i", the model will simply be named "BMW 330". The "i" will be exclusively used on BMW's EV offerings.

The "i" suffix at the end of its petrol-powered models was first introduced in the 1970s to denote fuel injection and has been used on every petrol model since. Going forward, it will only be numeric, with the first number indicating the model and the last two indicating the engine.

No more 330i, just 330 | BMW to drop the "i" for petrol cars & use it only for EVs-340ilogo.jpeg

The "i" in electric vehicles stands for innovation. BMW already has a number of electric vehicles in its product lineup, ranging from the iX1 to the i7.

Bernd Korber, Senior VP of Brand Management, BMW, stated, "Historically, even though our interpretation of BMW i was always different, it’s more innovation, not necessarily only electric, and we historically had injection at the end [of the badge], we said, we would like to keep 'i' as an asset, and we would like to keep it as a signature to indicate you’re driving an electric car and that was the logic that we had."

Source: BMWBlog

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 17:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: No more 330i, just 330 | BMW to drop the "i" for petrol cars & use it only for EVs

Great, BMW finds innovative ways to make its fan base hate it and others troll it harder. Excellent move in that regard!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 19:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: No more 330i, just 330 | BMW to drop the "i" for petrol cars & use it only for EVs

Makes immense sense and long overdue in my view. You could argue that perhaps BMW should not have started using “i” for their electric cars given that they already used “i” for Petrols. But frankly the “i” for Petrols has not added value for several years - all their cars have fuel injection. And just like Mercedes has the E220 for Petrols and E220d for diesels, BMW will have the 530 and the 530d. Incidentally they use “e” for plug in hybrids - I drove an X5 45e in Switzerland last year. But the original i8 was a plug in hybrid too.

So there has been some confusion in their thought process but in a world where an increasing share of the cars they sell will be electric, retaining the “i” badging for these cars was the right thing to do.
Hayek is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 17:19   #4
BHPian

I fail to understand the logic. Just put "p" for petrol, "d" for diesel and "e" for electric. And standardize it for all manufacturers. The nomenclature can be <variant><fuel> eg. 340p or 330p. Maruti can have vx-p, zx-p and so on.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks