Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2024, 12:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volvo shows how safe its smallest car is when hit by its largest

According to a media report, Swedish automaker Volvo recently crash-tested its smallest electric vehicle offering, the EX30, by running its largest car, the EX90, into the side of it.

Volvo shows how safe its smallest car is when hit by its largest-ex30ex90crash.jpg

The test was conducted at Volvo's in-house crash-test lab to prove a point about the EX30's safety. Volvo stated that the standard of safety in the EX90 is higher than any other model before it. The same was done for the EX30 as well. Talking about the EX30's safety, Volvo stated that the EV protects all its occupants "through state-of-the-art restraint technology, as well as top-notch structural design that fulfils our ambitious in-house safety requirements — designed to prepare our cars for various real-world scenarios."

As per reports, the Volvo EX30 has been designed to disperse all the forces around the structure of the car during an accident. Also, the lower structure on both the EX30 and EX90 are specifically designed to absorb most of the energy in a crash. This results in "less damage than you might have expected from the larger car onto the smaller car."

Volvo didn't release the interior view of the EX30 either before or after the crash test. However, Lotta Jakobsson, Volvo Cars Safety Centre, mentioned that "two small-sized females" sitting on the struck side were "well protected" in the crash, suffering only minimal injuries.

Source: Autoblog

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 13:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Volvo shows how safe its smallest car is when hit by its largest

Nice! Now crash your REAL largest vehicle with the smallest one
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo shows how safe its smallest car is when hit by its largest-img_20_4_0.jpg  

Last edited by sainyamk95 : 2nd May 2024 at 13:22.
sainyamk95 is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 13:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainyamk95 View Post
Of course they can't , cause Volvo buses and Volvo passenger cars are under seperate ownership, the latter being under Chinese automaker Geely. However if they can procure a decommissioned bus , and test it , it would really cement the their reputation of building safe cars. Not that they would need it, but a nice idea anyways
Mitadru is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 13:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainyamk95 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitadru View Post
However if they can procure a decommissioned bus , and test it , it would really cement the their reputation of building safe cars. Not that they would need it, but a nice idea anyways
Volvo is known for their unique crash test methodologies like the Kid test driver taking out one of their trucks, their drop test etc. So we might see something like this as well

sarathlal is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 02:24   #5
Sen
BHPian

I always wonder how Geely influences Volvo these days, since I heard their DNA as reliable and safe to extremes was starting to be diluted

The brand that made the seat belt and then shared it for free with the world. Truly an aspirational brand, even if on a different front from a Porsche or Ferrari or similar. Had the pleasure of driving an S60 D3 about 5-6 years ago on a rental basis and even in that short duration I had it, there was an instance where a car braked suddenly in front of me in Hyderabad, before I could even react, the car auto-braked and prevented an accident, albeit minor at <30 kmph. I was always a fan, but Volvo cemented itself in my head there.

Last edited by Sen : 4th May 2024 at 02:27.
Old 4th May 2024, 12:14   #6
BHPian

Mercedes did it first:

ashivas89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks