Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2024, 10:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Grand Tour could be rebooted with new hosts & an updated format

According to reports, the popular Amazon series 'The Grand Tour' will be rebooted and continue for more series, once the iconic trio of Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and James May leave.

As per reports, Studio Lambert - the makers of Squid Game: The Challenge & Gogglebox, have won a contract to make more series of 'The Grand Tour'. The new production company will take over from the original producers 'Grand Tour Productions' - set up after the trio left the BBC.

The Grand Tour could be rebooted with new hosts & an updated format-grandtour.jpeg

The reboot version of 'The Grand Tour' will have an updated format, along with a new lineup of hosts. Reports also suggested that the trio are also happy for Prime Video to continue making more episodes without them.

According to an industry insider, "It’s a surprising decision and everyone realises it very much marks the end of an era for the three presenters. The Grand Tour is one of Prime Video’s most watched shows and Jeremy, James and Richard have a devoted following. But the guys have made no bones about the fact they’re all advancing in years and they have lots of other projects to pursue."

Source: Broadcast

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 7th April 2024 at 10:42.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 10:49   #2
BHPian

Re: The Grand Tour could be rebooted with new hosts & an updated format

I hope they include someone like Mark Armstrong, another you tube influencer and a celebrity who is passionate about cars.

Three personalities with expertise who can play off of each other, similar to what CBC has done it with Abdo, Henry, Micah, and Carra.

It's very easy to replace the OGs but it's very difficult to get the mix right. I hope Prime nails it.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th April 2024 at 03:44. Reason: Post edited for formatting.
vellatechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 10:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Old wine, new plastic bottle?
BBC struggled with TG, belatedly realising the draw was the trio.
Grand tour is substantially worse in terms of content and presentation compared to TG . I wonder what amazon will do.
mayankk is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 11:10   #4

If this does happen - I want them to include Chris Harris (Ex-Top Gear host), Matt (from Carwow) and Alex (Ex-Carthrottle). This would be one crazy nerdy trio.
seaserpent@47 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 12:56   #5
BANNED

It's not going to really flop but it's not going to be successful either. I expect a couple of seasons before they pull the plug.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaserpent@47 View Post
If this does happen - I want them to include Chris Harris (Ex-Top Gear host), Matt (from Carwow) and Alex (Ex-Carthrottle). This would be one crazy nerdy trio.
I never thought of these 3 together, they would be epic.
Turbolove is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 13:07   #7
BHPian

Grand tour itself was bit of a drag compared to old top gear. It never got the same old charm (atleast for me). The initial hype and excitement got faded away slowly. The chemistry among the trio was only saving grace for grand tour. The comedies felt forceful and the content had no freshness. I never felt waiting for a new grand tour episode after couple of episodes in season 1.

I think they should let it go and come up with something fresh.
Asish_VK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 13:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Grand tour itself was bit of a drag compared to old top gear. It never got the same old charm (atleast for me). The initial hype and excitement got faded away slowly.
Grand tour had some episodes which was fun. The Mongolia one was outstanding. Still the trio lately was coming up with too much stereotype script and I felt they were doing it just for the heck of finishing it up.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th April 2024 at 11:56. Reason: Minor typo
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 15:40   #9
BHPian

I think whatever they do and whoever they bring in as presenters will never be the same as the trio. They need to call it quits and start a new show with no link to TG or GT.

Entertainment is subjective and some of us fanboys will never get the same feel if the name is the same.

I mean how hard can it be...
naikameya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 15:42   #10
BHPian

Absolutely not, the USP of The Grand Tour was the Clarkson Hammond May Trio - why remake it without them? These 3 men are part of the reason I love cars today, and sure, many scenes were scripted, but a car show without them wouldn't have the same charm. At this point I'd even watch/hear a podcast of them sharing a beer and talking about today's cars - in fact 'The News' and "Conversation Street' were my favourite parts of the show apart from the specials.
sh3lby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 19:03   #11
BHPian

Danny Ric
Rory Reid
Chris Harris.
These three have proved themselves capable in their unique ways.

Definitely no women! The tomfoolery isn't the same with one.
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 23:52   #12

In my opinion they should not reboot. They should give them a proper see off and end the show. I watch for the trios not for the show or its script or anything.
pratyushpks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 10:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Matt would bring the crazy energy of Clarkson.
But I am not sure Chris and Alex would be like to like replacements of Richard and James. In the end it was all about chemistry and banter. That was the missing factor in the relaunched series. People didn't want to listen to car reviews per se, they wanted to hear about the character of the vehicles been driven. If one is to see, all of the cars were described as if they were describing people. Flawed but each with a uniquness or beauty of their own.
touring_spirit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 11:38   #14
BHPian

In my opinion, any new trio coming in- however good they may be- will always have too big a boot to fill. People will always keep comparing them to the OG trio, which probably won't go in the new guys favour.
I think it is better if they start afresh with a new show with a new name and new format.
More than the cars, it was always the trademark chemistry and the straight faced humour these three guys brought into the show that made TG and now GT so popular. Would I watch GT with the same format and three new guys? Maybe not.
Old 8th April 2024, 11:38   #15

Quote:
Matt Watson would be amazing to have, but I am not sure if he will leave CarWow tho
DarK_Sanjan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks