Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2024, 14:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Iconic Mercedes AMG-GT now available with 2.0L 4-cylinder engine | Sacrilege?

Mercedes-AMG has taken the wraps off its latest entry-level GT sports car, the AMG GT 43.

Iconic Mercedes AMG-GT now available with 2.0L 4-cylinder engine | Sacrilege?-2025gt431.jpg

The new Mercedes-AMG GT 43 features a few cosmetic changes compared to its more powerful siblings. This includes an active louvre system at the front, which opens and closes to reduce drag and a new retractable spoiler at the rear with 5 different positions to optimise handling. The overall styling is also less aggressive with a smaller front grille, reprofiled front bumpers and smaller 19-inch alloys; to name a few.

Iconic Mercedes AMG-GT now available with 2.0L 4-cylinder engine | Sacrilege?-2025gt432.jpg

However, the highlight of the new entry-level AMG GT 43 is under the bonnet. Mercedes has removed the 4.0-litre bi-turbo V8 and replaced it with a 2.0-litre mild-hybrid turbo 4-cylinder engine. This is the same engine which powers the Mercedes-AMG A45 S. On the new AMG GT 43 sports car, the 4-cylinder engine produces 421 BHP and 500 Nm and is paired to a 9-speed automatic gearbox, sending power only to the rear wheels.

Iconic Mercedes AMG-GT now available with 2.0L 4-cylinder engine | Sacrilege?-2025gt434.jpg

The new 4-cylinder Mercedes AMG GT 43 sports car is now lighter and tips the scale at 1,775 kg. Mercedes claims the GT 43 is capable of sprinting from 0-100 km/h in 4.6 seconds - 1.4 seconds slower than its range-topping V8-powered 'GT 63' variant.

Iconic Mercedes AMG-GT now available with 2.0L 4-cylinder engine | Sacrilege?-2025gt433.jpg

Despite downsizing the engine on the entry-level variant, Michael Scheibe, CEO of Mercedes-AMG, positions the GT 43 as the most agile car in the GT lineup and even goes on to state that the GT 43 "will put a smile on your face on winding roads."

Pricing for the new Mercedes-AMG GT 43 will be announced closer to its launch later this year.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 14:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Iconic Mercedes AMG-GT now available with 2.0L 4-cylinder engine | Sacrilege?

The C63 amg with its 4 pot has had extremely poor sales as per online portals. Why do the folks at MB think that a 2 door car far more focused on being a sportscar would sell with a 4 pot ? Is there a business strategy behind it or are they being pushed to do so due to CAFE norms ?
Turbolove is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 14:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Iconic Mercedes AMG-GT now available with 2.0L 4-cylinder engine | Sacrilege?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
The C63 amg with its 4 pot has had extremely poor sales as per online portals. Why do the folks at MB think that a 2 door car far more focused on being a sportscar would sell with a 4 pot ? Is there a business strategy behind it or are they being pushed to do so due to CAFE norms ?
Because a 2 door AMG GT looks good and is way more aspirational than a C class. I'm willing to bet this will find a lot of buyers due to the (hopefully) lower price and running costs, especially in Asia and Europe.

It is diluting the brand, but most brands take a hit earlier on to build their exclusivity just so they can be diluted later on for massive profits. It's a form of bait and switch but that's how such "exclusive" brands work.

Last edited by Cresterk : 1st April 2024 at 14:49.
Cresterk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 22:53   #4
BHPian

Another day Another "AMG" with a 4-cylinder.
First they bloated the C63 AMG with a Hybrid, 4 cylinder that now with the GT 43.
That being said, it looks absolutely brilliant. I was going to say faster than it is but it's no slouch - 4 pots may not be as exciting but they are capable.
Not that we'll be able to buy it/see it on the roads even.
sh3lby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:48   #5
BHPian

Weird launch but extremely irrelevant with regards to India.

The way these cars are priced here, the people with the money to afford them will probably never consider the 4 cylinder option.

For people with more ambition than money, this thing, even with the 4 cylinder engine, will be crazy expensive.

Would be interesting to know how Merc India's strategy to launch the non-AMG G-wagon panned out. Because the approach was somewhat similar. Launch a car with a smaller engine in exchange for slightly lower cost of ownership.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:11   #6
BANNED

An AMG with a 4-pot engine? Seriously? It's not like they are going to price it cheaply. I suspect its the MBA folks making the decisions over the engineers.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 14:12   #7
BHPian

AMG with 4 cylinder engine (no matter now many HP's it churns out) is a blasphemy. Not that I can afford one in this lifetime, but it's sad to see the legends go down this way.
LordSharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 14:39   #8
BHPian

AMG is stretching their brand loyalty to the breaking point by pushing 2lt in C63 and now this. Customers are not fools and AMG should stop treating them as one. At this rate they may push this 2lt 4 pot motor in an AMG GT 4 door! I sincerely wish they course correct and start offering V8 engines on which their legacy was built. If they persist with this madness then the market will make them regret this stupidity.
Old 2nd April 2024, 15:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
This is mainly due to huge tariffs in some markets for engines greater at 2 litres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3lby View Post
Another day Another "AMG" with a 4-cylinder.
First they bloated the C63 AMG with a Hybrid, 4 cylinder that now with the GT 43.
That being said, it looks absolutely brilliant. I was going to say faster than it is but it's no slouch - 4 pots may not be as exciting but they are capable.
Not that we'll be able to buy it/see it on the roads even.
True, but that V8 soundtrack is to die for. One problem with the C63 is the 4 pot no doubt but the main problem is that the hybrid bloats things, makes it more ponderous as max power is limited due to the battery depleting when peak performance is used up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
An AMG with a 4-pot engine? Seriously? It's not like they are going to price it cheaply. I suspect its the MBA folks making the decisions over the engineers.
The MBA folks sometimes forget that people will pay for the best, even if tariffs are excessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisteramg View Post
AMG is stretching their brand loyalty to the breaking point by pushing 2lt in C63 and now this. Customers are not fools and AMG should stop treating them as one. At this rate they may push this 2lt 4 pot motor in an AMG GT 4 door! I sincerely wish they course correct and start offering V8 engines on which their legacy was built. If they persist with this madness then the market will make them regret this stupidity.
It will take substantial reworking on the C as the engine bay is not large enough
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 18:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

I write this with a sigh, but the era of huge displacement engines has long gone. What we can demand (or meekly expect) is performance with metrics like acceleration or lap times. The soundtrack has also gone with the displacement era. The engine marvelled as a gem in the A45 AMG could be termed entry level for the GT but I don't see it as anything more than a business decision.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 18:48   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Mercedes seems to have lost the plot. At this rate they will not sell enough SLs, AMGs and other enthusiast options and instead sell more GLCs and blame the customer for wanting SUVs

I mean forget about the fact that I see more content on M3s and M5s these days than C63 or E class AMGs but what about the people who would want to buy the full fat V8 option? Atleast 25% of them won’t even if it is made available just because others can mistake their purchase for one with a 4cylinder hybrid powertrain

What is going on? Is their board filled with OnePlus directors or are there any automotive personalities left?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd April 2024 at 18:53.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 20:32   #12
BHPian

Looks like "laughing all the way to the bank" will be given a new meaning by BMW
Chisels121 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 21:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is going to sound like heresy but really, I like it a lot!

I mean, 0-100 in 4.6 seconds is still jaw-droppingly fast. Plus, that 4-pot is probably going to be much cheaper to buy, run and live with. Ford kicked off the trend with the Mustang which you can spec with either the EcoBoost I4 or the V8. The former is much more usable and still looks just as good!
Old 2nd April 2024, 22:40   #14
BHPian

At least it is an ICE engine for now, the next generation AMG is going to be electric . Of course it will be faster, just like out this 4-pot ICE is quicker than the predecessor, but what about the emotions? They matter when it comes to performance cars.
Mach_1590 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 11:01   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_1590 View Post
At least it is an ICE engine for now, the next generation AMG is going to be electric . Of course it will be faster, just like out this 4-pot ICE is quicker than the predecessor, but what about the emotions? They matter when it comes to performance cars.
I am a born petrol-head, but in an AMG, I am taking a powerful electric setup over a puny 4-pot ICE. At least I will have the bragging rights.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks