Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2024, 14:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW i5 with electronically animated panels unveiled as a one-off project

BMW has unveiled its new i5 Flow Nostokana - a one-off project featuring electronically animated panels with a South African tribal pattern.

BMW i5 with electronically animated panels unveiled as a one-off project-bmwanimatedpanels.jpeg

The tribal pattern was designed by South African artist Esther Mahlangu - who first worked with BMW back in 1991, becoming the first African and female artist to sign an art car. Back then, she painted directly on an all-white 525i and completed the design within a week.

Fast forward to 2024, the artist worked with Stella Clarke, Research Engineer Open Innovations, BMW Group, to integrate her tribal pattern design onto the animated panels of the i5 electric sedan.

Coming to the panels itself, the BMW i5 is said to be fitted with 1,349 sections of film, each controlled individually. Using technology from E-Ink and applying an electric voltage, the colour particles can be changed through a process called 'electrophoresis'. BMW has also integrated the i5 with a custom soundtrack, featuring Mahlangu's voice, a swish of the feather brushes and the sound of colour pencils on paper; among others.

Source: TheDrive

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 5th March 2024 at 14:53.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 15:38   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW i5 with electronically animated panels unveiled as a one-off project

Brilliantly executed and engineered.
I would love for this technology to become mainstream in the future. Alas our Indian driving manners would warrant multiple broken panels rather soon!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks