Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2024, 16:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW retains world's best-selling premium brand title in 2023; beats Mercedes & Audi

According to media reports, BMW retained the title of the "world's best-selling premium automaker" in 2023 for the second year in a row. The Bavarian automaker marked a 7% increase in its global sales figures, registering 22,53,835 units in 2023 - a new record for BMW.

Reports suggest that the increase in sales was driven, in part, by the success of BMW's electric vehicle lineup. BMW sold 3,30,956 EVs globally last year. This represents a 92% increase compared to 2022 and accounts for 14% of the brand's total sales.

BMW retains world's best-selling premium brand title in 2023; beats Mercedes & Audi-xm.jpg

BMW Group's other brands MINI and Rolls Royce, together registered 3,01,506 units of global sales. This takes the Group's total sales figures to 25,55,341 vehicles (BMW, MINI & Rolls Royce) - a 6.5% increase compared to 2022.

BMW's closest rivals Mercedes-Benz & Audi finished second and third, respectively. Mercedes-Benz registered 20,43,800 vehicles in 2023, while Audi's global sales stood at 18,95,240 - despite an 18% growth. Apart from the three big German brands, Tesla is positioned fourth, while Lexus is expected to be fifth (but is yet to release its year-end sales numbers).

Source: Automotive News

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 19:23   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW retains world's best-selling premium brand title in 2023; beats Mercedes & Audi

Does that mean that the ugly grille is only going to get bigger?!
Deep Blue is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 09:09   #3
BHPian

Re: BMW retains world's best-selling premium brand title in 2023; beats Mercedes & Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Does that mean that the ugly grille is only going to get bigger?!
Even I was also thinking the same. They will become more confident in their ugly design and the grills keep on growing all around the car.

I feel like the Audi is sure coming up fast to catch up the race. Their models are getting more stronger and tighter and looks much much better than the ugly BMWs (my view).

Benz I feel is in a saturated level and follow their similar products lineup for some time.
Old 25th January 2024, 09:37   #4
BHPian

Evidently our (the "enthusiast" community) opinion on styling does not matter.
ashivas89 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 13:36   #5
BHPian

In my view, Audi will never become an enthusiast's preferred choice, especially as their bread and butter models are all FWD.

For me, it is not surprising that BMW continues to be the best selling premium brand. But I do agree with the general sentiment that the grill looks ugly in the lastest models. Hopefully, it gets ditched soon enough (one can only live in hope!).
schumi_pete is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 16:46   #6
BHPian

Does not surprise me, we have to remember although "enthusiasts" hate the grill and overall looks but everyone agrees the performance and overall dynamics has been even better with the Gx gen cars than the Fx gen cars and all the reviews point to the same. Brand loyalty is at play as well, most of my friends (including myself) who own a BMW are either diehard fans of the brand or became one after owning and don't see themselves getting something else from competitors ( except Porsche maybe :P). I get to drive Audis regularly as rentals and simply can't wait to go back to my 3.

Current M2, M3, M4 and even the M-lite models like M340i or X3Ms are simply fantastic cars and do provide unmatched performance. Their current engines including the ever famous B58 are overall very reliable and that has helped the last gen cars to be more reliable and hold values a bit better.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th January 2024 at 01:29. Reason: Typos.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 19:34   #7
BHPian

Have to give credit where it is due. We may not like the BMW designs but they are getting something right. It takes courage and conviction to take risk and go with radical designs rather than safe and lame that most companies prefer. May be it’s based on deep market insights that people care about being noticed than whether something is elegant and sophisticated. Most of the past growth came from China which is the largest market in the luxury segment and guess the designs cater to that market more than any other.
Neelavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 08:24   #8
BHPian

BMW engineers must be amused seeing that the entire discussion about their sales performance is in context of their design. Infact there seem to be design enthusiasts, despite whose reservations Beemers are selling well. Here I thought enthusiast were performance focussed guys.
Old 27th January 2024, 09:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

The grill is the reason for higher sales, the main markets are outside Europe and BMW has responded to their preferred aesthetic. The fact that they have some EVs that don't look like melted cheese helps the cause. The rear wheel drive usp may not hold for long, there are plenty of rwd EVs that are in the works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks